Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't trust pundits on TV, and "analysts" are often a joke. I've lost track of how many morons from outfits like Pipper Jaffrey have said stupid things to the media that turned out to be completely wrong.

Where tech is concerned, the research often seems shoddy. It's as if the people doing the analysis know nothing about the products and marketplace conditions.

Yes, Lauren Fix has repeatedly been on Fox Business over a year presenting Tesla in a rather unflattering light (you can search for her on Youtube and find multiple performances). Most of it was last year when she was saying the company couldn't sell over 20,000 cars without dealerships, and as late as the fall going on and on about Tesla relying on ZEV credits at a point in time when the amount of ZEV credit money was immaterial. She did say the car was beautiful, so maybe some benefit of the doubt... but then again she described Tesla selling directly as "unfair" and you also have today's performance. Pretty confident, she's part of a FUD campaign.
Wasn't she the one who said you better have the battery coolant changed frequently?

Quite likely. I once heard her say that the Tesla Model S needs to stop to recharge the battery every 30 minutes. The anchor seemed surprised and asked her to confirm, which she did.

I also think she's the one who bought a Cheyenne Diesel and called it the "best investment ever." I don't even call my Model S an "investment" and I don't have to put any gas OR diesel fuel in it...

Yes, Lauren Fix has repeatedly been on Fox Business over a year presenting Tesla in a rather unflattering light (you can search for her on Youtube and find multiple performances). Most of it was last year when she was saying the company couldn't sell over 20,000 cars without dealerships, and as late as the fall going on and on about Tesla relying on ZEV credits at a point in time when the amount of ZEV credit money was immaterial. She did say the car was beautiful, so maybe some benefit of the doubt... but then again she described Tesla selling directly as "unfair" and you also have today's performance. Pretty confident, she's part of a FUD campaign.

Thank you, Steve. I had never seen her before. I looked at her YouTubes and now see she has indeed been publicly speaking against Tesla Motors for over a year. I assume that much of the advertising on her own TV show comes from automakers, dealerships and oil companies. Of course the same is true for the TV shows on which she makes guest appearances. Those same enterprises may support her speaking engagements. She only said she would not buy TSLA stock (even when it was priced in the nineties), so I will give her the benefit of doubt and assume she is not short the stock. She is not a stock analyst, but some interviewers treat her as though she were. In any event, it is obvious that for at least a year she has been on a mission against Tesla Motors.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't trust pundits on TV, and "analysts" are often a joke. I've lost track of how many morons from outfits like Pipper Jaffrey have said stupid things to the media that turned out to be completely wrong.

Where tech is concerned, the research often seems shoddy. It's as if the people doing the analysis know nothing about the products and marketplace conditions.

I understand. I interviewed many of them on my TV show, and learned who the good ones were. Those who were not, were not invited back.

Interestingly, Piper Jaffray Managing Director Craig Johnson still sends me his weekly newsletter. The one for Monday 2013 JAN 28 listed his top pick that week in the Industrial Manufacturing sector as a stock with the symbol TSLA. There was no comment other than a plus sign indicating he thought it was strong technically. I had never heard of Tesla Motors, the Model S or Elon Musk. I knew little about electric cars. But the idea intrigued me, so I did considerable research. Toward the end of that week I bought all of my TSLA shares at an average of less than $38 each. I still own them. Thank you Mr. Johnson.

I had one previous stock I'd made a very significant investment in about 15 years ago and held about 8 years. Over that time, having read many brokerage reports (there were a few years where various sites were making them easily accessible) I was very surprised to learn that some analysts could be extraordinary thorough and insightful while others were either indifferent to doing their homework or perhaps willfully painting a very inaccurate picture. I've seen it here again with Tesla. To me a basic rule of thumb for investing is don't put any money at stake until you know enough about the company to listen to one of these analysts and quickly figure out if they fit in one of these three categories (of course there are shades of gray, but a fair amount of them do pretty well meet one of those descriptions).

Like Curt I was very much helped by an analyst in getting into Tesla before it's explosion last spring. There was an Adam Jonas report (I think here on TMC) that really painted the very big picture on Tesla in many dimensions including forecasts out to 2025, and he wrote that in 2010 or so. It really gave me a framework to understand Tesla's potential and want to learn much more. As to finding Tesla in the first place... a lot of luck. In mid-2011, I said to a friend who works in the tech field and loves cars, "how come none of these young techy silicon valley billionaires start a car company?" he told me about Tesla.

I have one friend who calls me a couple times a month, and asks "Steve, did you hear the bad news about Tesla?" Now, I could just tell him to check the Media Misconception thread before he starts worrying about his investment.

We must have the same friend, just the other day I was ambushed by; "What do you think of declining demand in Norway?"

I'd love a forum subsection (maybe even titled something cheesy/witty like "The Garage") where members could work on info threads/posts/documents like what SteveG3 has described. I know AustinEV brought up an idea for something along the lines of a Coles Notes version of TSLA, which would also be a very beneficial link I can fire off to people who know enough to dangerous.

There are quite a few so called experts that the various cable business shows trot out to disparage Tesla. They obviously haven't done their homework and come in with a big bias. Lauren Fix is no exception as she seems very partial to the existing auto makers and the dealership model.

I listened through a lot of this kind of bias and ignorance with respect to Apple. For Tesla to piss off pretty much all the people that control the business media and that caused them to resort to these kinds of tactics means that Tesla is doing something very right.

In the end, the bears that listen to them are the ones that should be the most upset because they are the ones being mislead in the long term.

Hmm, Jonas. That was Lauren Fix's maiden name. :scared:

funny find Curt, and proof some journalists still do their homework.

- - - Updated - - -

There are quite a few so called experts that the various cable business shows trot out to disparage Tesla. They obviously haven't done their homework and come in with a big bias. Lauren Fix is no exception as she seems very partial to the existing auto makers and the dealership model.

I listened through a lot of this kind of bias and ignorance with respect to Apple. For Tesla to piss off pretty much all the people that control the business media and that caused them to resort to these kinds of tactics means that Tesla is doing something very right.

In the end, the bears that listen to them are the ones that should be the most upset because they are the ones being mislead in the long term.

I generally agree, it hurts the bears. I've also benefitted from obvious b.s. like a Goldman Sach's report last year that brought the stock down 15% or so in a day. That said, when the issues crossover from FUD about TSLA spread to investors to FUD about Tesla's products spread to consumers, I'm not happy to see it.

Actually that segment appeared after the market close.

Meanwhile, I emailed the hyperbolic "automotive expert" Lauren Fix who was the primary guest in that segment, and tried to set her straight on the facts.

You can do the same in her contact box within her website at: http://www.laurenfix.com

Here's her Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_fix

I see that she has a TV show and conducts lectures. Her over-the-top manner may have been what she felt could best promote those activities. It may also be what CNBC wants, and she likely hopes to be invited back.

This is the same lady that was on fox business news bashing Tesla, only to finish the segment with a quote (about a car she owns):

"Porsche Cayenne Turbo - best investment ever!"

I wouldn't think this would affect the stock too much but if anyone is interested it looks like Elon and/or Tesla are making a significant contribution to the (Nikola) Tesla Museum. A 158th birthday celebration will be livestreamed at 10am EDT. It does seem like a Tesla sponsored Tesla Museum would be a no brainer for PR/marketing.

Yesterday's tweet:
Twitter / Oatmeal: Update:I had a call with Elon ...

Livestream:
RememberTesla.com - LIVE STREAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.