Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baird analysts Ben Kallo reiterates his $275 PT, attributes TSLA weakness to low oil prices, but notes that TM sales are driven by performance, quality and brand. Based on the above Ben Kallo recommends buying on this weakness.

I I think that Ben Kallo carved a nitch of a moderate, reasonable, cautious TSLA bull, so it would be interesting to see if his opinion will carry extra weight.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+%28TSLA%29+Weakness+on+Oil+Prices+Provides+Buying+Opportunity+-+Baird/10075868.html

Q&A on Tesla vs. Oil:

Question: What is the price of oil that lowers demand for Tesla's award-winning, awesome products to the point that Tesla can no longer sell every car the factory can make from now until at least 2020?

Answer: There isn't one. Oil could be free, and 500,000 people/year still prefer Tesla products at $35k/200miles of range.

I talked to an 8 year old this weekend that absolutely intends to buy a Model 3 / long-range performance electric. I have friends that call the poor guys in their local Tesla showroom every WEEK asking questions, salivating about Model 3.

The price of oil is not a legitimate threat to Tesla's demand, period.

Here’s Why Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Is A Different Beast Now: Ben Kallo - Insider Monkey

Last edited:
Q&A on Tesla vs. Oil:

Question: What is the price of oil that lowers demand for Tesla's award-winning, awesome products to the point that Tesla can no longer sell every car the factory can make from now until at least 2020?

Answer: There isn't one. Oil could be free, and 500,000 people/year still prefer Tesla products at $35k/200miles of range.

I talked to an 8 year old this weekend that absolutely intends to buy a Model 3 / long-range performance electric. I have friends that call the poor guys in their local Tesla showroom every WEEK asking questions, salivating about Model 3.

The price of oil is not a legitimate threat to Tesla's demand, period.

You and I along with most on this forum and the bubble we all live in might know that, however, mass markets and the stock markets are highly irrational. I still run into people who still think EVs will never replace ICE vehicles or hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Clearly, these type of people don't know any better.

While I'm with you that oil isn't a threat to Tesla, the stock market has reacted and severely punished TSLA for no good reason. On top of that, we have a horrible media landscape that only perpetuates negativity through talking points that lack any substance.

- - - Updated - - -

TSLA just dipped below 220 in regular trading and still dropping. Seven straight days of bleeding and no relief rally in site.

While I'm with you that oil isn't a threat to Tesla, the stock market has reacted and severely punished TSLA for no good reason. On top of that, we have a horrible media landscape that only perpetuates negativity through talking points that lack any substance.

I completely agree, the market / traders have priced Tesla down based on no good reason -- in fact a false reason. I wrote that little "Q&A" post to explain to those that may be visiting here for the first time, or not understand what's going on.

I'm not buying any short term products now because I can't afford to pay clickbait farms to spin FUD to manipulate stock price in periods of low news, but I'm considering adding to my core stock holdings.

You and I along with most on this forum and the bubble we all live in might know that, however, mass markets and the stock markets are highly irrational. I still run into people who still think EVs will never replace ICE vehicles or hydrogen fuel cells are the future. Clearly, these type of people don't know any better.

So many people just don't realize the awesomeness of the Model S. Everyday I drive in it, I see these clueless drivers on the road in their new muscle cars engines roaring, waiting to take off at the lights, and it's never a contest. Or I'd be on a winding road driving up to Skyline effortlessly and notice even a high-end car like a Porche Panamera in the rear mirror struggling to keep up with me.

The point is, sometimes I wished Tesla would invest more into educating the broader public about their products and their mission. Would counter the skepticism in the media towards Tesla and probably help the stock price.

Ah, yes, the winding roads up to Skyline, that used to be fun until motorcyclists, bicyclists, and crazy drivers decided the posted speed limit could be ignored so they could turn the road into a personal Le Mans. Hence, why I gave up taking drives up to Skyline. Too many maniacs. But I digress.

As for educating public about Tesla -- it's a great car yes, I love mine, but it is made of unobtanium, it is too expensive, and trying to educate the mainstream public who cannot afford such a vehicle is only going to rub them the wrong way imho. Model 3 is a whole different story though.

This is my first time writing on this site. I have been reading TMC for months now. I agree that some weakness in the stock is due to falling oil prices. But I keep telling everyone I know that to charge a Tesla S costs probably $10-12 for 265 miles. For some of you with solar, or near a supercharger station, then it is free. Unless I am missing something here, the equivalent of charging at .12 per kilowatt hour x 265 miles= $10.49 vs. filling up 265 miles at 2.80 per gallon =$47.70 in my SUV. Gas would need to fall much lower to break even with the charge cost.

BUT even with this being said, I DO completely believe people buy Teslas based on the award winning style, safety, brand and awesome technology. I tell everyone go take a look at one and you will be sold. The model 3 will be a Hugh hit. Everyone I know who can't afford a model S tells me that as soon as Tesla offers the 3 on their site that they will be putting down a deposit. I believe Tesla's goal of 500k cars in 2020 is completely attainable. 500k cars is a small portion of vechicles sold per year worldwide and it can be achieved!

Everyone I know who can't afford a model S tells me that as soon as Tesla offers the 3 on their site that they will be putting down a deposit. I believe Tesla's goal of 500k cars in 2020 is completely attainable. 500k cars is a small portion of vechicles sold per year worldwide and it can be achieved!

I'll be putting down a deposit on two of them!

Looks like we lost 220. It's now going to be a point of resistance on the way back up. I think we'll be lucky if TSLA closes above 213 the way things are going today.

Looks like we're not too far off from 213, TSLA just broke below 214.

- - - Updated - - -

Appreciated the intervention of Elon when the stock was flying too much in the interest of the technical aspect of the stock. Would appreciate now a new intervention of Elon for the same reason, because we are technically broken.

Indeed. Where's that defibrillator we need about now?

- - - Updated - - -

It is certainly going to feel good when the pounding stops......

You're not a strong long unless you can take a beating this bad. :wink:

Looks like we lost 220. It's now going to be a point of resistance on the way back up. I think we'll be lucky if TSLA closes above 213 the way things are going today.
Looks like a good call @justthateasy. Sold the remaining of my position last week, and waiting for a level to get back in. Speculating if this and last week's drop is due to some insider information leaking into the market about D production problems, given no deliveries yet? With the number of people on the floor at Freemont, such things would be hard to keep completely secret.

This weakness is clearly something TSLA is going through for its own reasons, so I won't blame NASDAQ this time, however, I just wanted to point out that the drop is also accentuated by what happens in the larger market. In the last minutes, NASDAQ did experience a sudden fall. Many stocks are at their lows of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.