Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(my bolding)

Porc, if you have a case to make that Tesla was enormously overvalued, please make it, but just saying so doesn't make it so. I don't think anyone here wants to put on blinders, but we do look for facts and reasoning behind claims, particularly ones as strong as "the stock was enormously overvalued."

As to Elon's comments... I assume you are referring to his comments late summer when the stock was trading around $290? If that's the case, you may want to listen to the full answer he gave to Phil Lebeau of CNBC (unfortunately often selectively edited). My recollection is that Musk said he thought long term investors at that price would do well but short-term price movements were less certain.

Teslas market cap was on par or half of the market cap of many of the largest auto companies in the world, that produce millions of cars and make significant profit. Tesla produces between 30.000 and 40.000 this year and made no actual profit this year (GAAP). As you know, this means that perfect execution and significant innovation was in order over the next 10 years to justify a 290 dollar stock price. I dont like to buy stocks were huge risks (technological innovation in batteries is still desperately needed in my opinion) is coupled with a stock price, which discounts perfect execution over 10 years. That is what I would call a lofty overvalued stock price.

Remember a few things folks:

It is at times like this when "doom and gloom" is most pronounced, without any company-specific news at all justifying it, that the potential exists to make new "Teslanaires" if macroeconomic winds change. Having the cojones to buy big now could mean a fortune in relatively short order.

Unless you believe the world is about to go back into crisis/recession, in which case short everything.

This is one of the most investable companies in history, but Elon himself said macroeconomic risk can not be discounted. When this passes, so too will the doom and gloom.

The Model X will dominate its class and be the most desirable SUV ever made.

And the Model III will shock the world, dominate its class and begin the extinction of Big Oil and laggard combustion manufacturers for good.

Having the cojones to buy big now could mean a fortune in relatively short order.

Unless you believe the world is about to go back into crisis/recession, in which case short everything.
And that sums it up. The stock could go up HUGE, it could also go down HUGE. There's big money to be made right now, but only if you pick the right direction, there's also big money to be lost.

Long term I'm not worried, but short term? there's no way to tell. If you have the money to loose, now's a great time to use it. But the risk is also higher now than normal, so be careful of what your risk tolerance really is.

My biggest worry right now is that my time horizon for investment may no longer be long enough for this stock.

Regarding Tesla, it has lots of internal problems: Lack of range, long charging times, huge capital investments pointing to further dilution and delays of Model X and probably Model 3.

Range and charging times are not an issue and aren't affecting TSLA. Nor is Model 3, since any competition for it is all talk and no trousers.

Execution is the fundamental driver for the stock and the near-term goals are: ramping production, D(ual motor), Model X, AutoPilot, reducing warranty issues.

Also the stock was enormously overvalued and hyped up, even Musk head with starting to spin. A correction of 50% in this environment, especially if the FED continues with its tightening talk, is not much at all.

Saying the stock was overvalued and hyped up is begging the question.

And that sums it up. The stock could go up HUGE, it could also go down HUGE. There's big money to be made right now, but only if you pick the right direction, there's also big money to be lost.

Long term I'm not worried, but short term? there's no way to tell. If you have the money to loose, now's a great time to use it. But the risk is also higher now than normal, so be careful of what your risk tolerance really is.

My biggest worry right now is that my time horizon for investment may no longer be long enough for this stock.

green1, yes it can go up huge or down huge... but the former is based on what most of us see as the probable future outcome for Tesla (that is our estimation of it's underlying value based on future earnings power) while the latter is a guess about the near term vicissitudes of the overall stock market/global economy. I think it would take a massive downturn, as in where we were headed in 2008, for a fall in the global economy to disrupt Tesla's course to 500K vehicle sales per year in 2020.

So, I basically see this as similar to the vehicle fires last year (at the point we had some basic information clarifying it was very improbable there was a fundamental challenge to Tesla). That is, a very good buying opportunity... whether you nailed it at the bottom in the low 120s, or you made your move earlier in the 140s.

I think this is the beginning point of solidly compelling prices for long term purchases. Given the next few months could have a big move up or down as you say, I think the best move for anyone looking to build (or build up) a long term position is to start here but set aside money in portions to buy in increments along the way should the stock go down another 20%.

The exception I see to this is what you alluded to as a possible issue in your situation... if you're holding period is months rather than years, the strategy I'm suggesting does not apply.

.... so be careful of what your risk tolerance really is.

I think the next big move up/down (40% +/-) for TSLA will be in the short to mid term 1-3 years. I hope that is within your time horizon and like you say, if the amount you have in TSLA is within your risk tolerance in a balanced portfolio, then all you have worry about is being on the right side of the move. So far the longs have won this battle!

Tesla Tops List of Brands with the Most Cultural Traction - CMO Today - WSJ

tslabrandvalue.png

This is a massive feat given Tesla's essentially zero advertising budget. This type of "viral" groundswell of mass appeal for a product does not come along very often (certainly not in the transportation sector), and speaks to the staying power and longevity of Tesla's brand growth. All without handing ad agencies anything at all. Awesome.

Everyone wants a Model III. EVERYONE.

fTTBLia.gif

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly, then, is your interest in posting on this forum?

Increasing the value of his puts, most likely.

Teslas market cap was on par or half of the market cap of many of the largest auto companies in the world, that produce millions of cars and make significant profit. Tesla produces between 30.000 and 40.000 this year and made no actual profit this year (GAAP). As you know, this means that perfect execution and significant innovation was in order over the next 10 years to justify a 290 dollar stock price. I dont like to buy stocks were huge risks (technological innovation in batteries is still desperately needed in my opinion) is coupled with a stock price, which discounts perfect execution over 10 years. That is what I would call a lofty overvalued stock price.
The stock market values companies based on their expected flow of profits over time, not just looking at what they sell today. Hence growth companies like Tesla have significantly higher value than current sales or profits would justify. No other car company is a growth company; to the contrary, they all face a serious technological risk posed by electrification of the transportation industry.

We differ on who faces what risk. Tesla uses well-proven technology to achieve astounding performance; their biggest risk in my book are the normal 'growing pains' challenges of transforming from a nimble start-up to a global service and manufacturing firm. Fortunately that road has been trod before, and Tesla can draw on substantial learnings from other firms.

By contrast, the existing OEMs have been caught flat-footed by Tesla's success and the way it has redefined expectations for next-gen cars. Toyota is betting big on fuel cells, despite enormous technical challenges there. VW is betting the farm on a battery technology with zero operating history. BMW is building ever-more complex, multi-drive vehicles, foregoing of the simplicity of pure EV drive trains that would undermine its storied engineering tradition.

There need not be "perfect execution" by Tesla. There does need to be good execution, particularly in getting the projected savings from the Gigafactory on battery costs and in getting the Model 3 into consumers' hands. If Tesla can deliver a $35k sedan with similar performance to the Model S, albeit smaller and less well appointed), it will undermine a lot of its competitors' core business.

Moderator's Note:

Some posts were moved to snippiness. Ad hominem argument isn't appropriate here. If you disagree with someone, explain why. Or just move on ...

Without sidetracking into a fundamental discussion of Tesla, I would say that significant increases in range and recharging times are needed, if it wants to appeal to the mass market, which is manly looking for time efficient transport. Range and recharging figures have been subpar for electric vehicles for years, and thus no breakthrough in the percentage of cars that are electrified has been achieved to date. Now obviously Tesla has increased the range from 120 something to 250 something miles per charge. This has however mainly been achieved by adding a larger battery pack, not by significant energy density increases. In my opinion another significant bump in range is needed, if electric vehicles want to become mainstream. The same goes for charging times, which will have to decrease by 50%.

Thus if I assess the risk its significant, as these range increases and charging times are very difficult to achieve. At the same time cost needs to drop and charging infrastructure built up. All of this costs money which will lead to further dilution.

When assessing theses risks, one has to look at potential reward. At 291 dollars that reward with already very limited, as the largest auto manufactures have market caps that were not even 10 times higher. And to become the largest auto manufacturer Tesla will need more dilution and at least 20 years.

Again looking at theses numbers I would say Tesla is overvalued at 291 dollars and said so.

Now obviously short term you have to consider FED action as well. If the tightening talk continues through 2015 we could very quickly see a 50% correction in Teslas stock price from its highs. Eventually the FED will launch QE4, as the stock market comes tumbling down, and Tesla will rally again. If the FED prints enough it might even make new highs, but of course in this case the dollar will have lost value.

Indeed, Tesla's market cap has approached half of that of Ford and GM which each sell millions of cars, GM, in fact, close to 10 million.

You do realize, porc, however, the lion's share of Ford and GM's profits come from their sale of a million or so large trucks each (one place I've seen this point made was from veteran auto analyst Adam Jonas. I don't believe he had source numbers to document this, but my recollection is that he stated his impression that 90% of profit for these company's comes from their large trucks).

The other millions of vehicles from Ford and GM are sold close to the break even point. I've not analyzed this in detail, but it would seem was a core dynamic between the pair's vulnerability to the 2008 global recession which put GM into bankruptcy, and Ford only escaped that fate by having wisely secured very large loans just ahead of the financial crisis.

Moreover, Tesla sells its vehicles at an average price vastly different than Ford/GM do, at gross margins very different than that pair, and most importantly, Tesla's vehicle sales are growing at a pace 5 to 10X that of Ford and GM and are projected to so for many years to come.

As Elon would say, it seems you've reasoned by analogy rather than first principles. Drawing conclusions on Tesla's valuation by analogy to GM and Ford seems very unwise to me. If you'd like to take a first principles approach, it's quite public what Tesla's ambitions for vehicle sales, net margins, and prices for their vehicles will be in 2020. From there you can estimate EPS in 2020 and valuation. Decide the probability of a few scenarios based on various levels of success in Tesla's execution of its aims, and you can use a weighted average of those scenarios to determine the valuation from the model you've made. This is what I've done (and for 2025 as well, though with less precise guidance from Tesla), and I find Tesla to be anything but "enormously overvalued."

Finally, you'll want to add to your valuation a forecast of the earnings potential of Tesla's energy storage business for future sales to utilities, businesses, and residential customers.

On the other points... my forecasts do not require "perfect execution" for Tesla to justify it's valuation (actually undervalued now in my view), and Elon Musk has repeatedly said there is no technology breakthrough required in battery costs for Tesla to deliver the Model 3 at the $35K price point. While you've expressed your opinion otherwise, you've offered no backup to it. Musk has offered the backup that Tesla can deliver 30% reductions in cost just via the economies of scale of the Gigafactory and the efficiencies of having all components built there rather than shipped from around the world to a standard battery factory.

Last edited:
Without sidetracking into a fundamental discussion of Tesla, I would say that significant increases in range and recharging times are needed, if it wants to appeal to the mass market, which is manly looking for time efficient transport. Range and recharging figures have been subpar for electric vehicles for years, and thus no breakthrough in the percentage of cars that are electrified has been achieved to date. Now obviously Tesla has increased the range from 120 something to 250 something miles per charge. This has however mainly been achieved by adding a larger battery pack, not by significant energy density increases.

This forum is Tesla related so there's no side tracking. Also Tesla never had a 120 mile range car; please don't fabricate.

Regarding Tesla, it has lots of internal problems: Lack of range, long charging times, huge capital investments pointing to further dilution and delays of Model X and probably Model 3. Also the stock was enormously overvalued and hyped up, even Musk head with starting to spin. A correction of 50% in this environment, especially if the FED continues with its tightening talk, is not much at all.

All of this is just as untrue as the first time you said it. Can you do us a favor and put this trash at the front of your comment so you can spare us from reading the rest of it?

Now obviously Tesla has increased the range from 120 something to 250 something miles per charge. This has however mainly been achieved by adding a larger battery pack, not by significant energy density increases. In my opinion another significant bump in range is needed, if electric vehicles want to become mainstream. The same goes for charging times, which will have to decrease by 50%.

Your post is not based on reality. The Model S was launched in 2012 with over 250 miles of range, and the vast majority of miles traveled in the Model S required a charging time of just seconds from the owners point of view, since they plug in their car at night and in the morning when they wake up they have a full charge.

Before posting I suggest you check your "facts" and more carefully familiarize yourself with the topic you are posting about. Your analysis is invalid.

This forum is Tesla related so there's no side tracking. Also Tesla never had a 120 mile range car; please don't fabricate.

Tesla also doesn't have a 250 mile range car, they have a 265 mile range one if you're being conservative (I can always beat rated range).

Also, porc, you say recharging times need to go down by 50%. Do you live in a part of the world where people only sleep 2 hours per night, or something? Do you know anything about how electric vehicles are used?

Last edited:
I think the next big move up/down (40% +/-) for TSLA will be in the short to mid term 1-3 years. I hope that is within your time horizon and like you say, if the amount you have in TSLA is within your risk tolerance in a balanced portfolio, then all you have worry about is being on the right side of the move. So far the longs have won this battle!
My current problem is that my time horizon was planned to be about a year and a half from now... of course it's flexible, it just means more time in TSLA, and less time in a Tesla... (and yes, my portfolio is better balanced than that, but it still takes a hammering when the whole market tanks)

I agree fully that long term this is a good entry point, I just want to caution people not to borrow every cent they can to do it, because just because today is "low", doesn't mean tomorrow will be high, there's always the risk that you get squeezed out by it going even lower before things go back up, and that's not a pleasant thought. As always, only invest what you can afford to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.