Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They guided to 50,000 - 55,000. Some market particpants aren't so happy. As a long term investor in TSLA, this is simply noise to me. None of the long term fundamentals in the company have changed. It's just a confirmation that Musk tends to be too optimistic in the short term. I'll gladly take that fault in exchange for being a visionary! Any significant drop and I'll buy more shares--despite already being loaded with shares.

I'd suggest everyone wait until after the conference call to do or say anything. The report didn't say much we didn't already know, and was vague about a few points. I think this was intentional, so Elon can elaborate during the call. I think Elon will clarify a few things that aren't clear from the letter. The after hours volatility is strange and isn't supports by significant volume. Anything could happen.

* The report doesn't mention the Powerwall or Powerpack. I think Tesla might limit Model S and Model X production until the Gigafactory is operational, to give them enough batteries for the Powerwall and Powerpack.

Last edited:
In February, Elon said "Even if our sales in China were zero this year, I’m still confident we could do the 55,000 cars.”
So now with decent China sales (5000?), 50K-55K is definitely a guide down. May be immaterial long term though.

Another concern could be that even with 11532 cars delivered, the automotive revenues came in lower than Q1 due to changing product mix.

Last edited:
Everything that we view as good... the market views as bad:

1. Tesla hedging deliveries to ensure product quality + conservatism
2. Cash spend to ramp up gigafactory and R&D
3. Printed date for Q1 2016 Model 3 Reveal

You have to be bi-lingual. You need to read this in the calm even perspective of a long term investor/believer and conclude, yes this is perfectly fine and as expected. And at the same time reading it in the frenzied mind of a young investor who got in at 270 planning on zooming to 290 and is freaking out.

They guided to 50,000 - 55,000. Some market particpants aren't so happy. As a long term investor in TSLA, this is simply noise to me. None of the long term fundamentals in the company have changed. It's just a confirmation that Musk tends to be too optimistic in the short term. I'll gladly take that fault in exchange for being a visionary! Any significant drop and I'll buy more shares--despite already being loaded with shares.

Good move to buy more shares. It's not an opti/pessimistic issue at this point. It all depends on X ramp up. If X screws up and interrupts the S it'll cost time and delay. Makes sense. I'm glad he did this.

In February, Elon said "Even if our sales in China were zero this year, I’m still confident we could do the 55,000 cars.”
So now with decent China sales (5000?), 50K-55K is definitely a guide down. May be immaterial long term though.

Elon's answer comes from a demand perspective. I don't believe they are guiding down due to demand softness, but production capabilities now that they are deep in X and ramp preparations.

grab-305Users.jpg

Is this thread popular at the moment? :biggrin:

You have to be bi-lingual. You need to read this in the calm even perspective of a long term investor/believer and conclude, yes this is perfectly fine and as expected. And at the same time reading it in the frenzied mind of a young investor who got in at 270 planning on zooming to 290 and is freaking out.

Some don't understand, and seem to willingly ignore, demand is hot. China demand has doubled since last quarter and rising, used model s's are reselling better then any luxury car out there, model x reservations 10's of thousands deep... But yet we see people harping on 50-55k guidance. It doesn't matter if the guidance changes because if they don't hit it, it's purely a production delay, not because cars aren't selling.

The story of the investor letter is tesla demand is as strong as ever and production is working its way to catch up one day. That's fantastic news that can't be held down, especially with the conf call coming...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.