Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who is sure the deal will go through - why would you not exchange TSLA stock for SCTY stock at these current prices, which will eventually be converted back to more TSLA stock than you originally had?

I think this play is actually a big part of the downward pressure on TSLA right now.

Yes, that's a great way to buy Tesla stock TODAY at a 20-30% discount. When SCTY gets converted, you'll get a nice 20-30% premium bump. Of course, you are gambling big time that the deal actually goes through...

Reactions: Dwdnjck
Its an all stock deal... I don't think they need a cap raise, but then Elon did mention that. I am unclear about this.

Elon mentioned bridge loans from Tesla to SolarCity if necessary until the deal is finalized. One more indicator that smells like a bailout. But as far as the transaction to acquire SCTY, my understanding is that Tesla just prints more shares. No cash changes hands. But obviously, this means some dilution to TSLA, similar in size to the recent cap raise at 215 combined with Elon's 5M stock options exercise.

Yes, that's a great way to buy Tesla stock TODAY at a 20-30% discount. When SCTY gets converted, you'll get a nice 20-30% premium bump. Of course, you are gambling big time that the deal actually goes through...

Yes, a bit of a gamble, but I'm fairly confident it goes through after hearing Elon on the call yesterday. He may not be voting directly but obviously has huge influence on the board and the major shareholders.

Very confusing to me what rules apply. For instance Alcoa splitting into two different companies their bonds will be assigned to one or the other. The upside (more profitable) will be assigned less debt and projected by company to have investment grade. The commodity side will get existing bonds which will remain junk rating. Why this is allowed isn't clear.

Yeah. Don't know. I wonder who is doing the securitization. Whether or not it is SCTY or a bank entity.

Its an all stock deal... I don't think they need a cap raise, but then Elon did mention that. I am unclear about this.
But don't slcty investors ultimately profit from whatever scty adds to TSLA?

That's Ludicrous!

You realize that the same people are on the boards of both companies? If you believe that you should divest from both companies (but I'd recommend waiting for a nice rebound).

I own both tsla and scty, have done so since ipo and have added to my position over the years.

As historical reference, Elon has continuously said Solarcity is wildly undervalued. He said it on ipo day even suggesting it was worth well more then original offering of ~$18... And this was in December of 2012, over three years ago when Solarcity literally 1/7 the size it is today. Elon has also said it was possible Solarcity might become bigger then tesla(2014). Has also stated he bought hundreds of thousands of additional shares over the past year in the 40's (and lower) because they were undervalued.

Bottomline, scty is undervalued and Elon knows it. He is taking advantage of the situation and tsla benefits massively.

The problem is scty investors lose big time under the current deal terms. The stock is at a multi year low range and scty investors know this which reflects in he attitude toward the deal terms today.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
My understanding of
I'm on the sidelines right now. But... I expect to be fully back in on TSLA by next Friday, to take advantage of the Q2 deliveries announcement (which may be as late as Tuesday July 5th I guess)

I'm a bit gun-shy today because the broader markets are up, there's no short-selling allowed today, and TSLA is still slightly down. We could see the shorts try a dip once they're allowed to short-sell again. Anyone know when the short-sell restriction expires? There's often a bump upward on Monday mornings. I agree with you though that the release numbers in early July are likely to produce a lift.

Ask yourself this question: If I were shorting TSLA, would I close out my short position prior to July 1?

Reactions: madodel and Lessmog
Elon mentioned bridge loans from Tesla to SolarCity if necessary until the deal is finalized. One more indicator that smells like a bailout. But as far as the transaction to acquire SCTY, my understanding is that Tesla just prints more shares. No cash changes hands. But obviously, this means some dilution to TSLA, similar in size to the recent cap raise at 215 combined with Elon's 5M stock options exercise.
Not an expert on these matters, but hasnt the market priced in the cost of a merger with solar city, be it by dilution. And that is reflected in the current price. When the cap raise was recently made public, TSLA went in the vicinity of 215 prior to execution.

For anyone who is sure the deal will go through - why would you not exchange TSLA stock for SCTY stock at these current prices, which will eventually be converted back to more TSLA stock than you originally had?

I think this play is actually a big part of the downward pressure on TSLA right now.

I believe the offer from Tesla was 0.12X - 0.13X TSLA shares per SCTY share. With TSLA now at $195, doesn't this mean that the offer would be valuing the SCTY shares at $23.40 on the low end? This would be only a 7% premium to the current $21.80 the SCTY is at. If TSLA were to fall 7% more, wouldn't the offer be assigning no premium? Would they then revise the offer?

Reactions: Foghat
From the consumer prospective regarding solar, i had investigated different options including sun run, solar city, and at the end, saw an ROI after 6 years, for an 8 kw solar system. Likely will move in that time frame, so not sure how solar helps me? Save 300 per month in lieu to 10 year finance or outright purchase?

I would hope better manufacturer means cheaper cost to consumer, as i'm also not sure how chasing solar with diminishing margins helps, just my 0.02 from a consumer perspective...

Reactions: Robertj
I believe the offer from Tesla was 0.12X - 0.13X TSLA shares per SCTY share. With TSLA now at $195, doesn't this mean that the offer would be valuing the SCTY shares at $23.40 on the low end? This would be only a 7% premium to the current $21.80 the SCTY is at. If TSLA were to fall 7% more, wouldn't the offer be assigning no premium? Would they then revise the offer?
If the UFC is being sold for $4bln with annual revenues of less then a billion, how is it that Solarcity is a fair value at $2.7bln with $11bln dollars worth of revenue generating assets accumulating a 20% compounded growth rate? Maybe Solarcity should go private and sell then...

I see it as 8 shares of SCTY will turn into 1 share of TSLA regardless of the price of either stock. So buying SCTY at 21.84 is like buying TSLA at 174.72. As long as TSLA stays above that number, the trade should be profitable, eventually. Am I getting anything wrong here?

• Helpful
Reactions: JenniferQ
From my TD Ameritrade news feed for Tesla:

S&P GLOBAL RAISES VIEW ON SHARES OF TESLA TO HOLD FROM SELL

2:38 pm ET June 23, 2016 (S&P Capital IQ) Print
We raise our 12-month target by $15 to $200. With TSLA below our target, we elevate our opinion to hold. We increase our '18 EPS estimate by $1.00 to $6.75, and cut '16's in half to $0.70. Our target equates to a multiple of 30X our '18 EPS projection, and 56X our unchanged 2017 EPS estimate of $3.60, reflecting our expectation for rapid automotive profit growth. Our estimates due not include the possible buy of Solar City (SCTY 22 ***), a transaction we view negatively. We see a possible withdrawal of the offer, which we think would boost the volatile and risky shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.