Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar plus batteries might pull all kinds of levers but it still isn't even close to price competetive with a larger scale of the same technologies, i.e. the grid with utility scale solar and utility scale batteries. It is all about scale, and therefore you can't just compare 1 residential house to the city of Las Vegas that happen to be right next to practically free land that can generate extremely cheap energy. Las Vegas even cut out from the Nevada grid is still operating with utility scale.
Compare this more like burning gas in ice to run cars VS burning fossil fuels to generate electricity and run electric cars. The solar + battery for residential market does seem viable for sunny Florida as beating utility will require current price to cut in half + subsidies. There are markets like California where rates are higher, but that's not to replicate everywhere.

Nevada cutting off net metering really goes to show how dependant the residential solar model is on being subsidised by the utility.

Excuse me, but net metering is not a subsidy. When my panels produce more than I consume during the day, my electricity goes to my neighbors house and turns their meter. The power company, who is not having to produce even more electricity with a peaker plant thanks to me, charges my neighbor full retail for the electricity I produced with my panels. Giving me the same electricity back at night when demand is down is hardly a subsidy.

Last edited:
Here in southern California, I am seeing X's daily. Sometimes several a day, so from my view, it seems like delivery numbers will be "stellar". What I have not seen yet, and I am not sure when they started shipping, I have not seen the new Model S cosmetic. My son said he saw one in Santa Barbara, but I haven't.

X's are everywhere in CA.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 46
So what does Elon know (for sure!) that we don't know:
- number of model 3 reservations
- progress of the model 3 development
- progress and feasability of the production plans of model 3
- progress of the gigafactory. I found it strange that the grand opening was delayed (compared to the date first mentioned in the first referral program) while Tesla always stated that the develepment of the gigafactory was ahead of schedule. Either Tesla decided along the way to show a much more functional gigafactory at the grand opening, or maybe they would use the grand opening to boost the stock price, or both.
- Q2 delivery numbers
- upgrade rate of model 3 to S/X
- price sensitivity of model 3 buyers (hence the new 60 kWh model S)
- evolution to a cash flow positive situation

Most of these items will become public knowledge in the coming 5 to 6 weeks, so if Tesla wants to take advantage of this, now is the time.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just delusional in hoping the stock goes up.
Great post Nico.

A while back in the TSLA Short Term thread someone commented that he hoped Elon didn't die, as Tesla might not survive. After reading pages and pages of anger and venom across multiple threads these past few days, I don't think anyone needs to worry about Tesla Motors in a post-Elon world. Apparently there are at least a dozen members of this forum that know much, much more than Elon, and could do a better job of running the company.

From an Adrea James blog:
How a year on Wall Street changed his world view | Andrea S. James, Solve For X Coaching

Andrea questions an ex-employee:
Thanks for acknowledging that I did all that. What about how you manage your own assets? Did that change?

The interesting thing about investing post-Wall Street vs pre. Pre, I looked for solid companies that I thought would grow. Post, I look for companies that are undervalued for stupid reasons.
IMO that's a perfect description of Tesla now (some main points):
1. Accelerated M3 ramp. Even if they miss it badly (they won't), the SP will be drastically higher when they do.

2. SCTY. Elon is very ethical, has much more understanding of the underlying facts than anyone else believes it's a no brainier. I can somewhat understand the negative reaction on Seeking Fantasies,, but everyone here should be familiar enough with his track record to give him the benefit of the doubt.

3. Counting TE as zero. Hedge for car batteries or a Ponzi scheme? Again this is understandable on Seeking FUD, but here it's unbelievable.

Bar none, the biggest near-term catalysts for TSLA is

1) Q2 delivery numbers (due by July 5th)

2) Q2 earnings call. Results AND guidance

My view is these results better be STELLAR.
Most analysts and traders are insanely short-term. They reacted unreasonably negatively to the Q1 results, which were mostly due to early "hiccups" in Model X production. Q2 most likely won't have any of those "hiccups". I probably won't consider the numbers stellar, but the traders and analysts who never look past next Thursday probably will act all surprised and act as if it is stellar. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Directionally, I'll just say that every scenario I modeled showed a beat (that alone should throw up a red flag, right!?).
Every scenario beat analysts' expectations? Then you're likely to be correct. The reason is simple. Most financial analysts looked at Q1, which was exceptional due to particular issues with the Model X ramp-up, and acted as if it was typical and as if they could extrapolate from it. :rolleyes:

Every scenario beat Tesla guidance? That would be less plausible.

I actually got quite alarmed by those reports that Buffalo factory isn't hiring as much as per plan and such. If there was ever a case for SCTY running out of liquidity that'd be the one to harp on.
Some more detail on those reports:
The fact that SCTY has delayed the installation of $75 million in equipment does lend credibility to the idea that they're short on liquidity. They gave no other reason for that delay.

The hiring reductions, however, appear to be permanent and long-term and seem to be due to automation. Apparently they promised NY some number of hires based on one factory design and they're now making a much more automated design -- so they're promising to make up the missing jobs with salespeople or something. (Maybe if they merge with Tesla they can build a Tesla service center in Buffalo and count those employees.)

Reactions: DrJohnM and Lessmog
Some more detail on those reports:
The fact that SCTY has delayed the installation of $75 million in equipment does lend credibility to the idea that they're short on liquidity. They gave no other reason for that delay.
Incorrect. Q4 conference call they talked about specialized equipment delay on vendor side where they will only have to utilize 1/2 scheduled capital outlays for q4 2016 and the other half when the equipment is installed in q1 2017.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with liquidly. Maybe better to not speculate so desperately here and research this further. You keep trying to fit square in the round hole...

Incorrect. Q4 conference call they talked about specialized equipment delay on vendor side
So they're saying their vendors aren't supplying equipment when they're supposed to. Hmmph. That sounds like the sort of problem Tesla's been having. It's actually a rather serious problem because it delays the opening date of the factory.

So they're saying their vendors aren't supplying equipment when they're supposed to. Hmmph. That sounds like the sort of problem Tesla's been having. It's actually a rather serious problem because it delays the opening date of the factory.

They are pushing max capacity 1 to 2 quarters as revealed first in Dec 2015 analyst day, then again discussed in q4 2015 conference call.

Max capacity is over 1GW of high efficiency modules(arguably best mass scale modules on the planet).

They are already ramping 100mw Fremont factory right now, so they are already beginning the transition to the new silevo modules in select installs...

I'm venturing to speculate they could be outfitting the full scale tesla Gigafactory which would be possibly 100s of MWs of silevo panels and much of year one buffalo plant production.

Last edited:
I'm pretty positive on this acquisition. It seems pretty clear to me that in the next ten years we are going to see rapid growth acceleration in solar energy, energy storage and EVs. Tesla has a leadership position in EVs, will soon have one in storage and believes that SoarCity has one in Solar. Competitors exist in each segment, but without integrated service offerings.

Without this acquisition Tesla has two businesses (EV & storage) that are mostly related by GF scale efficiencies. With the acquisition Tesla is able to go to utilities and other large power users and offer larger and, according to Elon, more compelling solutions.

I also think that the "market" under appreciates Elon's / Tesla's software skills. We see it with his history, with the cars, with the factory automation but when Elon talks about Tesla's energy software management system and how this is important to the SCTY acquisition it gets lost in the financial discussions.

In some ways I see similarities to the Cisco model. Building a network system from multiple primary equipment manufactures is clearly possible, but it is a pain the ass and dependent on the quality of your internal employees. Building a system around Cisco is more expensive but reduces risk.

I'm buying SCTY options, and expect to see some pretty compelling presentations from Elon in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.