Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's Associated Press article on Brown accident: Tesla driver killed in crash while using car's 'Autopilot'

Excerpts:

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi told The Associated Press in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen. There was no reference to the movie in initial police reports.

Brown was an enthusiastic booster of his 2015 Tesla Model S and in April credited its sophisticated Autopilot system for avoiding a crash when a commercial truck swerved into his lane on an interstate. He published a video of the incident online. "Hands down the best car I have ever owned and use it to its full extent," Brown wrote.

NHTSA's Office of Defects is handling the investigation. The opening of the preliminary evaluation shouldn't be construed as a finding that the government believes the Model S is defective, NHTSA said in a statement.

Wonder if this interview was conducted recently or in May at time of accident?

Wondering why interviewer didn't ask (or didn't publish) what he was doing in the middle of the highway with on coming traffic (i.e, why he pulled into highway with oncoming traffic).

Wondering why this trucker thought these public comments are appropriate. It's certainly not illegal to be playing audio while driving.

Trucker is clearly insinuating the driver was traveling faster than speed limit. But, I haven't read anywhere that that has been cited as a factor by law enforcement

Also, apparently charges were filed. What's the status of that?

Journalism?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

Wondering why interviewer didn't ask (or didn't publish) what he was doing in the middle of the highway with on coming traffic (i.e, why he pulled into highway with oncoming traffic).

The news was apparently first published in the last ever edition of a local newspaper 19 days after the accident. If the Associated Press knew about it back then and had interviewed the truck driver, they would not likely have waited until today to provide a report. Since it was a phone interview, the reporter may have feared a hang up if he got confrontational in the manner of a prosecutor. It might have been more revealing to ask county officials to explain why charges have apparently not yet been filed against the truck driver who owns his own company.

Last edited:
The news was apparently first published in a local newspaper 19 days after the accident. If the Associated Press knew about it back then and had interviewed the truck driver, they would not likely have waited until today to provide a report. Since it was a phone interview, the reporter may have feared a hang up if he got confrontational in the manner of a prosecutor. It might have been more revealing to ask county officials to explain why charges have apparently not yet been filed against the truck driver who owns his own company.

Thanks Curt. You've been great at uncovering this info. Much appreciated on behalf of everyone.

Wondering why this trucker thought these public comments are appropriate. It's certainly not illegal to be playing audio while driving.

Trucker is clearly insinuating the driver was traveling faster than speed limit. But, I haven't read anywhere that that has been cited as a factor by law enforcement

Journalism?

I see that you are from CA. Do you have a driver's license? You should read the CA DMV handbook sometimes. The truck was (surprise) making a legal left turn.
Notice, the intersection is quite open, so oncoming traffic can see anything turning left from far away. Since the Tesla went under the trailer and brakes weren't applied at all (stated by Tesla), it is safe to say the truck was in the intersection for a while (1-2 secs?) and the Tesla driver didn't react to its presence. But it is too soon to say who or what was at fault. I will wait for the accident investigation or police report to become public.

I see that you are from CA. Do you have a driver's license? You should read the CA DMV handbook sometimes. The truck was (surprise) making a legal left turn.
Notice, the intersection is quite open, so oncoming traffic can see anything turning left from far away. Since the Tesla went under the trailer and brakes weren't applied at all (stated by Tesla), it is safe to say the truck was in the intersection for a while (1-2 secs?) and the Tesla driver didn't react to its presence. But it is too soon to say who or what was at fault. I will wait for the accident investigation or police report to become public.

The turn is only legal when you yield to oncoming traffic.

Journalism?
Canton man killed in self-driving car crash

In this image from video, Frank Baressi speaks during an interview with The Associated Press at his home in Palm Harbor, Fla. Thursday, June 30, 2016. Baressi, 62, was the driver of the truck that was hit by a Tesla that Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, was operating in self-driving mode, and who was killed in the May 7 accident in Williston, Fla. Baressi said the driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him." (AP Photo/Tamara Lush)

Twitter for Joshua Brown: Tweets with replies by Joshua Brown (@NexuInnovations) | Twitter

Touching excerpts with sad relation to the recent news:

2016 APR 17: @elonmusk noticed my video! With so much testing/driving/talking about it to so many people I'm in 7th heaven!

2015 APR 8: It looks like the weather is finally getting warmer. I think summer is on it's way! Enjoy the weather and be careful on your travels.

2012 DEC 21: Merry Christmas everyone! If you are traveling, please be careful out there.

2011 NOV 24: Happy Thanksgiving! Safe travels and I hope you get to spend time with your family!

2010 NOV 24: Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Travel safe and have fun with your family and friends.

I really don't know how the victim's last tweets are informative in a short term investment thread except to satisfy our morbid curiosity.

It doesn't take a genius to see how much he loved his Tesla. The tweets indicate what the high majority of Tesla owners feel about their car. like this one owner, Tesla tries to wish all owners a safe and speedy trip to their destination without harm, by satisfying 5 star safety ratings all around. Comprendo?

I really don't know how the victim's last tweets are informative in a short term investment thread except to satisfy our morbid curiosity.

I don't see it as morbid. His Twitter account demonstrates how devoted he was to Tesla and how safety-minded he was. It's not only a tragedy, but horribly ironic.

I have recently argued that Tesla exercise increased caution with respect to its activities, in particular the Solar City deal which could expose it to high financial risk at a time of relative financial weakness. I mentioned that I believe that Elon should manage risk as part of his duties as CEO.

It could be argued that the public beta of autopilot is another example of a risk that should have been avoided or at least mitigated. Perhaps naming the technology "Driver Assist" rather than "Autopilot" would have helped to align driver expectations with the limitations of the software. I believe that the any allegations that Tesla is at fault are unfair, but smear campaigns are never fair. Now Tesla is open to further criticism by those who wish for it to fail. Should Tesla have waited to release autopilot until all corner cases were addressed? Should LIDAR have been incorporated as a necessary component despite its high cost? I don't know the answer to these questions. But I do think that Tesla is currently the only company capable of guiding this world to a sustainable future. With that in mind, exercising caution and making decisions which safeguard the Tesla brand will be key.

I would delay releasing the delivery numbers, especially if they are really good. Anything over 18000 deliveries, in particular, is a remarkable feat for the company. If achieved, it does not deserve to be marred by this occurrence. Wait a week. Show the world that safety and respect for Jason Brown mean more than number of cars sold. A deliberate delay may also signal that good news is on the way. Let the shorts sweat.

The tragic accident is one of the lead stories on the 'Today Show'.

edit after watching: It was fairly balanced and did indicate other car manufacturers are racing to develop this technology. TM declined comment for the particular piece.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I have recently argued that Tesla exercise increased caution with respect to its activities, in particular the Solar City deal which could expose it to high financial risk at a time of relative financial weakness. I mentioned that I believe that Elon should manage risk as part of his duties as CEO.

It could be argued that the public beta of autopilot is another example of a risk that should have been avoided or at least mitigated. Perhaps naming the technology "Driver Assist" rather than "Autopilot" would have helped to align driver expectations with the limitations of the software. I believe that the any allegations that Tesla is at fault are unfair, but smear campaigns are never fair. Now Tesla is open to further criticism by those who wish for it to fail. Should Tesla have waited to release autopilot until all corner cases were addressed? Should LIDAR have been incorporated as a necessary component despite its high cost? I don't know the answer to these questions. But I do think that Tesla is currently the only company capable of guiding this world to a sustainable future. With that in mind, exercising caution and making decisions which safeguard the Tesla brand will be key.

I would delay releasing the delivery numbers, especially if they are really good. Anything over 18000 deliveries, in particular, is a remarkable feat for the company. If achieved, it does not deserve to be marred by this occurrence. Wait a week. Show the world that safety and respect for Jason Brown mean more than number of cars sold. A deliberate delay may also signal that good news is on the way. Let the shorts sweat.

The name "Autopilot" was picked, per Elon's explanation, to communicate the necessity of the pilot being in the ultimate control of the car, similarly to "Autopilot" in planes, where the pilot is ultimately in control, with "Autopilot" just reducing the workload. With all the disinformation on all things Tesla that is going on in the press and on the internets, the "Autopilot" being twisted into the software/hardware suit implied by Tesla as a replacement for the driver, which is total falsehood.

One could argue the way you do. However, the natural counter argument is that you don't take the car industry + renewable energy industry by storm by being cautious, but instead by being innovative, ambitious and bold - bordering on aggressive.

Mobileye issued the following statement on the fatal Tesla collision:

"We have read the account of what happened in this case. Today's collision avoidance technology, or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is defined as rear-end collision avoidance, and is designed specifically for that. This incident involved a laterally crossing vehicle, which current-generation AEB systems are not designed to actuate upon. Mobileye systems will include Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection capabilities beginning in 2018, and the Euro NCAP safety ratings will include this beginning in 2020."

Credit Suisse downgrades SolarCity based on increased (in their view) probability of the deal that grossly undervalues SolarCity, going through. So they seem to suggest that the deal is bad for SolarCity, and, by extension, good for Tesla. Digest of the note via StreetInsider (pay wall):

Credit Suisse downgraded SolarCity (NASDAQ: SCTY) from Outperform to Neutral with a price target of $27.00 (from $38.00), on increased probability of a deal with Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) closing.

Analyst Patrick Jobin commented, "On deeper reflection of the proposed
acquisition of SCTY by TSLA, and discussions with TSLA shareholders, we increase our probability of a deal being consummated at, or near, the proposed terms to 60-70% despite our concerns on corporate governance along with limited strategic and financial rationale for the transaction in the near-term. As a consequence, we lower our SCTY target price to $27 and downgrade our rating to Neutral to reflect the preliminary acquisition proposal at what now equates to ~$25.9-$27.8 per share at the 0.122x-0.131x exchange ratio presenting only limited upside from current levels (the actual mechanics of the proposal are not disclosed and no definitive agreement has been reached although there is apparently unanimous support from both boards). Note that our fundamental view that SCTY is grossly undervalued remains unchanged."

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on SolarCity
click here. For more ratings news on SolarCity click here.

Shares of SolarCity closed at $23.93 yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.