Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this article
The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S

"
Drive Pilot: Steering

Another disaster. This is actually a dangerous product. The car will steer itself into oncoming traffic. It oscillates between lane markings like a drunk driver. No setting or speed is sufficient to compensate for the utter failure of this functionality.

Did anyone in Stuttgart drive a Tesla on Autopilot? Even once?

People need to be fired"

Bravo! Someone took advantage of the manipulated end of regular trading and bought a bunch of shares in early after-hours trading, which brought us back into the green. The shorts may manipulate the SP back into the red before after-hours is over, but someone took advantage of the discount that the shorts were engineering on TSLA shares. That's what's good about manipulation: if you recognize it for what it is, you can consider it a discount for your purchasing of shares.

I love this article
The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S

"

Another disaster. This is actually a dangerous product. The car will steer itself into oncoming traffic. It oscillates between lane markings like a drunk driver. No setting or speed is sufficient to compensate for the utter failure of this functionality.

People need to be fired"

Is that thing also using Mobileye chip?

This is not the first article I've read praising Tesla's Autopilot and how totally uncomparable it is to the abomination that is MB's DrivePilot.
Yet, I see MB advertising in print and on TV and being so brazen as to call it self-driving. As morbid as it is to say, I kinda can't wait until something bad happens at the hands of DrivePilot and MB gets crucified for it.

I agree, Mercs offering a semi capable of only 120 miles won't be able to compete. In the world of semi's, range is king. Here, Mercedes & everyone else is operating on Tesla's turf from here on out.

There is certainly a valid use case for an urban truck that a 120 mi range will fill just fine, and I have no doubts that Tesla Semi will come in a trim level decked out for that too. A short range truck for urban use will still do HUGE things for the environment, as urban trucks spend a lot of time accelerating and idling.

As someone earlier suggested, I expect we'll see Tesla Semi with several fixed battery sizes with different ranges for different use cases (and probably different class cabs too, like sleeper cabs vs day cabs) or else it will be a modular battery that allows for say 1-8 battery modules of 200kWh each or something.

I love this article

"

People need to be fired"

Great article here are the links to the 3 articles for those interested

Mercedes’s New E-Class Kinda Drives Itself—And It’s Kinda Confusing

Hands off

This is not the first article I've read praising Tesla's Autopilot and how totally uncomparable it is to the abomination that is MB's DrivePilot.
Yet, I see MB advertising in print and on TV and being so brazen as to call it self-driving. As morbid as it is to say, I kinda can't wait until something bad happens at the hands of DrivePilot and MB gets crucified for it.

Probably won't happen, because a) nobody uses it because it's not reliable or easy to use, b) those who do use it don't trust it so they pay more attention to the road, and c) even if something does happen, note how nobody points out individual accidents which happen with non-Tesla cars, because Tesla is seen as "different" and thus anything that happens to them is considered exceptional/news, whereas things that happen to "normal" cars are not considered exceptional. This is how tens of thousands of gas cars could spontaneously blow up and cause many injuries and deaths over the course of time it took the media to over-analyze exactly two Tesla accidents which caused exactly zero injuries.

Very likely so.
One might venture that this is what happens when Mobileyes EyeQ3 chip is doing all the work.

I'm actually long Mobileye, but I think they are quite far behind what Tesla is capable of.

Well then, this just puts more weight into the theory that Tesla is handling a lot of the software layer on top of EyeQ3 chip today, so switching hardware supplier won't be a big disruption -- just an enabler for more functionality.

Reactions: Irishjugg
Papa, I think I know how to read this, but can you tell me what you see?

Well I'm probably talking out of the wrong end, but when I look at the trades then I see every second, sometimes several times per second a trade of 100, all day, non-stop. I cannot tell from Nasdaq page if they're buy or sell, but I guess they are sells and they're being put out there on a continual all-day basis to drive the price down.

Someone tell me I'm wrong, it's OK, but I think it's a good theory :confused:

Well I'm probably talking out of the wrong end, but when I look at the trades then I see every second, sometimes several times per second a trade of 100, all day, non-stop. I cannot tell from Nasdaq page if they're buy or sell, but I guess they are sells and they're being put out there on a continual all-day basis to drive the price down.

Someone tell me I'm wrong, it's OK, but I think it's a good theory :confused:

How would that be distinguished from someone simply exiting a big position?

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
Very likely so.
One might venture that this is what happens when Mobileyes EyeQ3 chip is doing all the work.

I'm actually long Mobileye, but I think they are quite far behind what Tesla is capable of.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. MB is a traditional automaker, and traditional automakers aren't really anything more than a glorified systems integrator. They take bits from various suppliers and glue them together into the shape of a car. Most of the traditional automakers have very little IP that is actually theirs anymore.

Its part of why I was long MBLY a couple weeks ago - figuring that increasingly as TACC trickles down the price spectrum more and more vehicles will end up with MBLY hardware in them, but I got out when I was happy I had made a small profit -- glad I did before it all went ugly.

This is my pet theory: The issue around Autopilot is not the name or the advertising, it is that the system functions so darn well. Mercedes can call their system the "magic self-flying carpet" and everyone will think of it just a marketing crap. Actions speak louder than words. The action of the Tesla AP is that is "just works" in most situations, so people get carless. The Mercedes system is having a lot of loud words "self-driving", "the best of nothing" etc. etc. not even an insane person would sit in the E-Class and take a nap - it just won't happen.

The problem for Tesla now is the following: they can't match their language to the language of Mercedes since people would get into even more accidents. So there is a risk that people think that the Drive Pilot is the best system available and the AP is just an inferior piece of technology that just happens to also kill a ton of people.

So from that perspective, I think it is really important to a) have a lot of articles like the ones linked upthread and b) get people behind the steering wheel and experience the AP system for themselves.

Last (subjective) observation of mine: in markets where Tesla is strong (Norway, US) the E-Class vs. Model S comparison is tilted pro Tesla. In Germany are tilted (by national pride?) towards the Mercedes - the argument is "yea the system requires you to do more - but I really like it and it is thus much safer".

• Funny
Reactions: sundaymorning
In my opinion, it's best to ignore or not pay too much attention to any product a company says it plans to release in 10 years. This is my main problem with the rumor that Apple is planning to build an Apple Car by 2021.

My bet is Tesla releases a Truck ~2019-2020, around the same time as the new Roadster. If the Tesla Truck already exists, as Elon implied, I think it's possible Tesla will reveal a Tesla Truck in 2017 or 2018, with deliveries beginning until 2019 or 2020, 4-5 years before Mercedes begins producing any sort of viable Truck. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.