Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one was able to raise capital freely from investors while the other couldn't because it's investors saw no future. Uncle Sam had to bail them out because not even JC himself could get a loan, especially for $50B.

One was also able to get their customers $7,500+ per car as well as EV credits from Uncle Sam. On a per car basis, that is a considerably higher subsidy and help than a $50B loan.

• Funny
Reactions: Yuri_G
Very true and they are trying to learn from the mistake. They are focusing on margins, not volume. They are cutting low margin fleet sales by the hundreds of thousands. Mary Barra is considered among the best auto executives of our time. No small feat getting profit up from $4.7B in 2010 to $10B in 2015 with fewer sales, not to mention getting the company through the ignition recall %$%^storm.

Ford, GM Top Global Profit Charts With Volkswagen Lagging

Current Tesla is operationally no different from GM of 2009. Neither made any money but one was able to raise capital freely from investors while the other couldn't because it's investors saw no future. Uncle Sam had to bail them out because not even JC himself could get a loan, especially for $50B.

Pushing volume at the cost of margins to please wall st has always been a losing strategy. Interesting times we live in.

My apologies, Sir, but your propensity to make dazzlingly inventive absurd proclamations (quite a few packed within one day) reminds me of somebody with similar talents ...
Wait, do you ... know Anton Wahlman?

The SCTY restructuring restores my faith that it'll be a net good decision for Tesla in the end. Moving SCTY to a low acquisition cost model--away from SCTY hard door to door sales culture, into more passive Tesla sales culture--will allow the companies to mesh better and reduce the cash drain / risk of having SCTY on board.

If all SCTY does is manufacture and provide super-cheap, world class solar panels to Tesla infrastructure, along with passive sales to customers who want to join in on the fun, they'll be a good asset to Tesla.

My apologies, Sir, but your propensity to make dazzlingly inventive absurd proclamations (quite a few packed within one day) reminds me of somebody with similar talents ...
Wait, do you ... know Anton Wahlman?

Have you actually read Anton Wahlman!?
C'mon, that's too offensive to use on fellow contributor on TMC whether you agree or not...

SolarCity slashing costs, including CEO pay

SCTY starting to let people go and reducing CEO/CTO combined salary from 550k to 2.

Making the right moves IMO.

And, even with an as-good-as-decided take-over by very solvent Tesla, paying an unprecedented 6.5% interest on a newly issued $125M bond with a maturity rate of just 18 months. In October 2015 they were able to offer less (5.45%) for solar bonds with a maturity date of 15 years(!) I don't how anyone could claim that the capital market is/was not closing in on a stand alone SolarCity in a very, very rapid way.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7 and pGo
Looks like Tire Rack is showing 2016 Tesla 100D and P100D

TIRE RACK

Just for grins I reached out to Tire Rack using their "online chat." I told them I had a P100D and asked what the 19" tire choices were. The chap said Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. (both 245/45R19) I mentioned the Primacy MXM4's used on older variants and he said that was his third choice. I pointed out that the P100D didn't officially exist yet, and wondered how he could make these recommendations. He said (quote) "the 2016 model has already been available and we've had access to the vehicle. This is for a 2016 Tesla Model S P100D."

I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.

SolarCity slashing costs, including CEO pay

SCTY starting to let people go and reducing CEO/CTO combined salary from 550k to 2.

Making the right moves IMO.

Of course it's going to be easier for Tesla to effectively operate and run their Solar City unit if it has even lower costs than it did prior to them proposing the acquisition. (and lest I be seen as a greedy capitalist shareholder-type... my sympathies go to those who are losing their jobs, hopefully they can get hired back some day)

However, just to play devil's advocate - can't this news be used as fodder for the FUDsters? SCTY laying off staff? Cutting back high-end salaries? That sort of thing also goes on at companies who are about to go out of business. And Tesla is offering to buy this company? Will the "gross corporate governance misconduct" comet come back around for another pass?

One was also able to get their customers $7,500+ per car as well as EV credits from Uncle Sam. On a per car basis, that is a considerably higher subsidy and help than a $50B loan.

Tesla did not "get" anything from Uncle Sam. Tesla was busy trying to get Roadsters out the door at the time these rules were written and had zero lobbyist in Washington or Sacramento.

GM and Nissan lobbied Uncle Sam for the $7500 per EV subsidy and wrote the rule so the Volt would qualify for the full $7500. GM and Nissan plus others of the "Big Eight" lobbied CARB and Sacramento for the current ZEV credits and rules. Tesla is just playing the game established by others. It has only recently hired lobbyist and tried to alter the rules going forward. Largely to allow direct sales.

BTW Taxpayers don't give a rats ass about per car basis. They care about the total cost. GM et al have eaten far more pork at the government trough than Tesla since Tesla came into existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.