Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not watching the debate, but futures are responding favorably. Anything interesting going on?

I don't mean this as political commentary but Trump is a mental midget. I don't claim either party but environment is currently my #1 concern.

Is it possible for a brokerage (say Fidelity) to short a portion of their own long shares as a hedge? Thought I read about it somewhere. Figure they wouldn't have to pay brokerage fees and interest, since they "lent" themselves their own shares to short (and wouldn't violate naked shorting rules).

Obviously lending to shorts is safer, but wondering if they can do that too.

Also since it's getting to the end of the quarter, wouldn't the funds prefer not to lend out their shares to short to bring up their share price and thus their overall market value?

I've had some silly trading ideas over the last few years only to have that "ah ha" moment and laugh at myself. Wait for it.....:)

Is it possible for a brokerage (say Fidelity) to short a portion of their own long shares as a hedge? Thought I read about it somewhere. Figure they wouldn't have to pay brokerage fees and interest, since they "lent" themselves their own shares to short (and wouldn't violate naked shorting rules).

Obviously lending to shorts is safer, but wondering if they can do that too.

Also since it's getting to the end of the quarter, wouldn't the funds prefer not to lend out their shares to short to bring up their share price and thus their overall market value?
I am not averse to some end of quarter 'window-dressing' by fund managers if it benefits TSLA.

Was this the one that filed an injunction?

Are you referring to the 4 entities that are trying to block the merger?

Here's @RobStark post about it:

The Real Reason Investors Are Backing the Tesla-SolarCity Deal

"The plaintiffs, who own undisclosed amounts but aren’t among the major owners, are the City of Riviera Beach Pension Fund in Florida, the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System and individual investors P. Evan Stephens and Ellen Prasinos."

The only plaintiff of note is the Arkansas Teacher Retirement System with over $14B in assets under management. But I can't find how many TSLA shares they own.

So I don't see them (Sunpower, et al.) listed as any of the entities trying to block.

• Informative
Reactions: tander
Are you referring to the 4 entities that are trying to block the merger?

Here's @RobStark post about it:

So I don't see them (Sunpower, et al.) listed as any of the entities trying to block.

The ones trying to block are TSLA investors.

2 institutions and 2 individuals.

Not going to happen.

Sunpower has no standing here. They are not investors in Tesla nor Solar City.

They are suing for alleged stealing of their intellectual property without specifying exactly what was stolen.In any event I am sure they would rather sue Tesla than Solar City.

I've had some mixed feelings about what to do with the comments on the debate this night.

There are rules about political discourse here. My rule is it should not be partisan. One member thought I said political. Not so. What bothers me wearing the moderator hat is partisanhip where someone is naming names and pushing for or against a candidate.

By and large you have been civilized in discourse. Calling someone a bad name, even when I personally think it appropriate in any discourse, is probably not a good idea. Early in the recent Bush Administration I called out "W" as a moron. My conservative colleagues jumped my bones proper. When you compare W's speaking style to his brother Jeb, the latter shines, I said. But then had to admit college professors tend to judge peoples' intelligence on how well they speak. Later I learned W. actually practiced getting rid of his Connecticut accent and mannerisms to better fit into Texas politics.

Try not to use pejorative language which would be prohibited here about each other, for example. Also, I would feel much better if we moved conversation to another thread, say the macro environment. Then I wouldn't have any need to moderate it.:D

Good news, looks like the Solar City lawsuit is a total sham:

SolarCity sued by Cogenra Solar and Khosla Ventures
This at least strongly imply that solar shingle/roof is not just a science project but a serious commercially viable product. Otherwise, why fight for it?

In the upcoming reveal on 28th, I am looking forward to the details on:
1) Cost
2) Efficiency
3) Production ramp plans at the Buffalo plant.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Can you post a chart of what you're seeing?
Okay here is a close up of hollow red inverted hammer doji which is an extremely bullish potential reversal candle, please note how orderly this pullback has been within the last 5 quarters and is finding support right at 13 Quarter EMA (blue solid line). this is as bullish as it gets. all the weak hands have been shaken out and frustrated longs have exited, recalcitrant shorts are betting against TSLA and paying interest through the nose, this scenario is stock market equivalent of a mine of dynamite just waiting for the fuse to be lit up, and i suspect the catalyst will be next week delivery #s
Notice I said potential so please don't bet more than you can afford to lose there are NO guarantees. This candle could change for better or for worse in next 4 trading days till quarter ends
I'm buying more TSLA at open and raising my stake which is already rather significant
but that is just me. for all i know i could be wrong and could easily lose my shirt. This is NOT an advice to anyone just my personal opinion and i am often wrong
i am a super aggressive speculator and am used to taking large losses

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The new inventor
This at least strongly imply that solar shingle/roof is not just a science project but a serious commercially viable product. Otherwise, why fight for it?

In the upcoming reveal on 28th, I am looking forward to the details on:
1) Cost
2) Efficiency
3) Production ramp plans at the Buffalo plant.

I would like to see a product that is a no brainer, a very compelling value proposition.
2 things generally determine the succcess of a product, cheaper or better.
If the product offers both cheaper and bettter then you have a
Compelling value proposition.

Reactions: pGo
Just a small data point here, but a friend of a friend of mine has just bought their MS. As reported here by others, Tesla is pushing hard on its discounts that will end at the end of this month, and likely won't repeat this method for a very very long time (maybe never again?). The receipt attached to this post shows a few dashed lines, some of the dashed lines on the receipt are freebies that Tesla threw in as options. Also, their sales team stated that it has been epically crazy the last few weeks ;)
Clearly an upside down deal

here is the long legged monthly hammer which so far portends a significant reversal in TSLA
Emphasis : potential
Nothing is written in stone in the stock market
"here is the long legged monthly hammer" -- sounds like a girl I used to know.

Fidelity runs this stock. since you're looking at the 5 year chart... take a look at the weekly and draw a line from the top of Dec 2012 touching the bottom of the Nov 2013 candlestick... now look to the right and notice all the touch points in the last year. That's right around the time Fidelity jumped into TSLA and I believe this is their handy work.

they made 600% in 2013... dumped 50%... bought back in and have since made 100% not including the hundreds of millions off short interest...

the only reason why anyone believes this stock is worth $200 today is because Fidelity. the only reason why Tesla still exists is because Fidelity. Tesla would have gone BK many times over without the stock shooting up as high as it has.

and it just so happens that Fidelity is also the #1 shareholder of SCTY. but we just watched SCTY take a nearly 40% drop in a month with an offer on the table much higher.

If Fidelity's SCTY holdings are reported and it shows they dumped SCTY... then this may be a sign that Fidelity is exiting "Elon".

IMHO quite many things wrong with your post. Lets pick this one :

and it just so happens that Fidelity is also the #1 shareholder of SCTY. but we just watched SCTY take a nearly 40% drop in a month with an offer on the table much higher. If Fidelity's SCTY holdings are reported and it shows they dumped SCTY... then this may be a sign that Fidelity is exiting "Elon".

Why would Fidelity dump SCTY shares (even at a price below the fixed conversion rate), and at the same time be in support of the merger ?
One of Tesla's Biggest Investors Throws Support Behind SolarCity Deal

IMHO : you might be spreading FUD.

IMHO quite many things wrong with your post. Lets pick to this one :

Why would Fidelity dump SCTY shares at a price below the fixed conversion rate, and at the same time be in support of the merger ?
One of Tesla's Biggest Investors Throws Support Behind SolarCity Deal

IMHO : you might be spreading FUD.

Exactly. Fidelity is in the business of investing to make money. Dumping their SCTY position now if they are supportive of the merger would be stupid. If anything I expect they've increased their position during the firesale.

Status
Not open for further replies.