Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the logic behind product announcement being after ER. Is it just to avoid answering product questions during ER call?
and here's another mental exercise related to probability that I've been doing laps around for quite some time:

the worst thing that Tesla could do for its stock is to begin to succeed.

yet another "ludicrous" suggestion being made by @myusername... right?

when does a "story stock" no longer remain one?... when it becomes real.

the more Tesla becomes a real and sustainable auto company... the more it will be valued as such... today it is valued on the romantic idea of becoming the next "50 bagger" and "disrupting Auto and Energy"... but soon (possibly beginning now)... the reality of the amount of work and struggle it takes to become competitive in large scale Auto will become measurable.

repeatedly over the last few weeks I've seen posts on this board that literally use the word "believe"... belief is required when the thing being assessed has no quantifiable evidence. the purpose of belief is to intentionally remove scientific reasoning.

the more Tesla becomes a quantifiable Auto company... with real and comparable numbers to the rest of the industry... the less the belief system and the story will hold up... I think Elon realizes this... and that is why he chose to merge SCTY. It has got to be one of the most ridiculous business moves ever made from a financial standpoint... but the genius behind it is as Tesla becomes real... the story dies... and the merge with SCTY allows him to change the story.

so how does this rant relate to probability?... in that it is the single most neglected factor in the formula for Tesla's assessment... most analysts are using DCFs to quantify Tesla's value today... are they using a risk adjusted NPV approach?... not from the ones I've seen.

probability will increasingly become a factor in valuations of Tesla as the "story" very slowly turns into an Auto company that succeeds just as it did in this quarter... only to be left with many years of risk and struggle ahead.

While this thinking certainly has merit, the scale of Tesla's ambition is so big that it will take a long time to execute on it. And ambition becomes bigger over time as well. What you call "belief" is really a somewhat quantifiable plan that Tesla already published that is looking a decade ahead if not more. There's 50% growth in it for years and years. And of course the risks of various snags that go with such ambition.

Actually if you look at the Model S sub forum, you can see people complaining 8.0 performance inferior to the previous version and AP now has a higher tendency to hug trucks/walls. Still can't determine if it is a prevalent thing or not but this actually worries me quite a bit.

I see, another thing to worry about :)

For the record, I personally see 8.0 as an improvement (I have a non-AP "classic" MS) and chose "somewhat better" in the poll linked up-thread.

I take these reviews with a grain of salt. There is a group of core members that complain vehemently about EVERYTHING in EVERY UI update, as well as a large group of IT professionals who's complaints pretty often read quite snobbish.

There are always opportunities for improvement and some things that deserve complaining, but overall I see UI updates as a steady progress, and very happy to have them.

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic behind product announcement being after ER. Is it just to avoid answering product questions during ER call?
I'm thinking it's to not overshadow the announcement on the 28th. The ER is a fairly common thing, you have them four times a year. That's not to say they aren't important, but it's mostly about presenting the figures and answering a few questions, and that's that for another three months. The Tesla/Solar City announcement however will outline the direction of the company for the next few years, at least when it comes to the Tesla Energy side. They probably want to get as much attention focused on this announcement as possible. This culminates in the merger vote, where they want a win to feel like a win. They don't just want the merger to go through, they want an overwhelming majority to be in favour of the merger. In this narrative, the ER is a distraction.

On 8/8/16, vin #155XXX was issued for Model S. On 10/7/16, vin #1666XX was issued for Model S.

So roughly 11,000 VIN issued for the Model S over a span of 2 months, which yields an annualized rate of 66,000 MODEL S per year.

Meanwhile, it seems that Model X orders for RHD customers in Australia have just been given VINS beginning in the 24XXX range. Taken in context of changes to the Tesla website eliminating the lower margin 60D and making certain options such as air suspension standard, this suggests Model X demand is strong. Meanwhile new orders for Model X in Europe are currently given a delivery window of early 2017.

An annualized demand rate of over 100,000 - 110,000 S/X is achievable based on these numbers and may even be conservative. Moreover, with the gigafactory coming online by the end of the year, margins will likely improve significantly and 30% gross margin will be within striking distance.

This is a very critical time for Tesla. The low stock price indicating lack of confidence on the part of investors may actually be helpful in motivating Tesla to reach its goals.

I agree with comments on this board. If the path to tremendous growth was free of obstacles and confidence in management was high, it would already be reflected in a very high stock price and there would be little room for stock price appreciation. Making money requires faith and belief that a company will achieve its goals when these prospects remain doubtful to the market at large.

Who would have known that Priceline which traded at $6 after the dot-com bust would now be trading at $1500. I'm sure if you looked at discussions in 2001 most people doubted Priceline would amount to anything. And look what happened.

Take a look at the rapid ascent of Amazon's stock price over the last 2 years. Price appreciation is unpredictable and can move violently to the upside leaving doubters behind.

As recently as the last conference call, Elon was quite clear that there was plentiful demand for Tesla energy products. If only a fraction of that perceived demand is real, then there is path for Tesla Energy to begin providing a highly profitable and growing revenue stream.

What is happening to Tesla right now is NOT UNUSUAL AND NOT UNEXPECTED. It is by investing and holding onto TSLA in this time of uncertainty that we will reap profits in the future.

My feeling is that the current stock price is being manipulated by powerful forces to the downside as a means of sabotoging Tesla's ability to access capital on good terms. Tesla's enemies are many but it will only take a few strong allies to tip the scales in their favor.

Last edited:
0 - 110,000 S/X is achievable based on these numbers and may even be conservative. Moreover, with the gigafactory coming online by the end of the year, margins will likely improve significantly and 30% gross margin will be within striking distance.
The Gigafactory is not supposed to produce cells for the MX and MS for quite a while (years?).

On 8/8/16, vin #155XXX was issued for Model S. On 10/7/16, vin #1666XX was issued for Model S.

So roughly 11,000 VIN issued for the Model S over a span of 2 months, which yields an annualized rate of 66,000 MODEL S per year.

Meanwhile, it seems that Model X orders for RHD customers in Australia have just been given VINS beginning in the 24XXX range. Taken in context of changes to the Tesla website eliminating the lower margin 60D and making certain options such as air suspension standard, this suggests Model X demand is strong. Meanwhile new orders for Model X in Europe are currently given a delivery window of early 2017.

An annualized demand rate of over 100,000 - 110,000 S/X is achievable based on these numbers and may even be conservative. Moreover, with the gigafactory coming online by the end of the year, margins will likely improve significantly and 30% gross margin will be within striking distance.

This is a very critical time for Tesla. The low stock price indicating lack of confidence on the part of investors may actually be helpful in motivating Tesla to reach its goals.

I agree with comments on this board. If the path to tremendous growth was free of obstacles and confidence in management was high, it would already be reflected in a very high stock price and there would be little room for stock price appreciation. Making money requires faith and belief that a company will achieve its goals when these prospects remain doubtful to the market at large.

Who would have known that Priceline which traded at $6 after the dot-com bust would now be trading at $1500. I'm sure if you looked at discussions in 2001 most people doubted Priceline would amount to anything. And look what happened.

Take a look at the rapid ascent of Amazon's stock price over the last 2 years. Price appreciation is unpredictable and can move violently to the upside leaving doubters behind.

As recently as the last conference call, Elon was quite clear that there was plentiful demand for Tesla energy products. If only a fraction of that perceived demand is real, then there is path for Tesla Energy to begin providing a highly profitable and growing revenue stream.

What is happening to Tesla right now is NOT UNUSUAL AND NOT UNEXPECTED. It is by investing and holding onto TSLA in this time of uncertainty that we will reap profits in the future.

My feeling is that the current stock price is being manipulated by powerful forces to the downside as a means of sabotoging Tesla's ability to access capital on good terms. Tesla's enemies are many but it will only take a few strong allies to tip the scales in their favor.

Priceline (PCLN):

Total Revenue -- 9,223,987
Cost of Revenue -- 632,180
Gross Profit -- 8,591,807

Look at that margin! that's 93%!!!

I've commented before regarding the comparison of TSLA to "tech" companies and assuming the possibility of enormous ramps in PPS from here... but there's two things:

1) $7500 + ~$4000 (10% or more!) of Tesla's GM is tax incentives to their customers
2) Tesla will NEVER do what Priceline has done... because it is NOT a "tech" company

"The low stock price indicating lack of confidence"

there are a very large number of people that do not consider today's stock price as "low"... but instead incredibly high.

"If the path to tremendous growth was free of obstacles and confidence in management was high, it would already be reflected in a very high stock price and there would be little room for stock price appreciation"

again... what are you comparing "high" and "low" to?

The Gigafactory is not supposed to produce cells for the MX and MS for quite a while (years?).[/QUOTE

Thanks for correction. Do you happen to know where to find this information? I still think 30 percent is in line with what has been suggested although I guess battery cost may not be as big of a factor based on your post.

Appreciate your input.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
There have been reports complaining about politics in two recent posts, although they are balanced as one is negative about one candidate the other about the other candidate. (Like what political junkies call "paired votes" in Congress.) There is a perfectly respectable thread for such concerns related to our upcoming election in addition to either the Macro environment thread or the long term. Unfortunately, it has posts only for a few days last May. However, they are extremely perceptive and really on target for the implications of the coming election on Tesla and those of us concerned about environmental matters. Read and enjoy.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/effect-of-the-2016-us-presidential-election-on-tesla-motors.

Re, those posts that have been fingered as political.

I've said this before, if you are concerned about the meaning of polls and speculation about results of the election, no better source for evaluation is Nate Silver's blog, FiveThirtyEight. A recent post by one of his colleagues deals with the issue of whether the recent tape discovered by the Washington Post will prove influential on the outcome.

Will The Trump Tape Have A Bigger Effect On The Race Than Past Controversies?

Her conclusions are not at all partisan but provide really nice analytical frameworks for understanding what is going on.

1) $7500 + ~$4000 (10% or more!) of Tesla's GM is tax incentives to their customers
The incentives stimulate demand, and while demand isn't an issue, the incentives are pretty much irrelevant. It's also important to note that something like 40% of sales are in markets with little to no direct incentives. Also not everyone qualifies for the federal incentive, and certainly not the state incentives, which are at least based on income in California.

2) Tesla will NEVER do what Priceline has done... because it is NOT a "tech" company
It's a tech company, just not an internet or SW company. More comparable to Apple or Samsung than Google or Facebook.

I see, another thing to worry about :)

For the record, I personally see 8.0 as an improvement (I have a non-AP "classic" MS) and chose "somewhat better" in the poll linked up-thread.

I take these reviews with a grain of salt. There is a group of core members that complain vehemently about EVERYTHING in EVERY UI update, as well as a large group of IT professionals who's complaints pretty often read quite snobbish.

There are always opportunities for improvement and some things that deserve complaining, but overall I see UI updates as a steady progress, and very happy to have them.
I care little about the UI changes. It is comments about AP performing inferior than before that worries me. Some speculate it is because the car needs to relearn from the driver and it will take some time for the computer to adjust to their new sense (radar as primary).

Good article highlighting some of what WS sees as risk in tesla

Goldman and the Tesla Hyper-Feedback-Loop

While this article shows how shorts and others view Tesla (and has some value for that purpose) it also highlights some of the errors in their logic, such as:
* Tesla always disappoints on earnings reports- Perhaps certain earnings reports from 2013 are more appropriate this time around, when Tesla shocked the market with profitability.
* TE is largely ignored- Combine the likely improvements in cell chemistry in the 2170 cells for frequent-cycling storage solutions with the substantial overall improvements in TE 2.0 products (inverter, etc.), and you have a recipe for very substantial profitability coming from TE, with pretty amazing margins. No wonder Tesla is accelerating the gigafactory growth.
* Tesla with SolarCity will have too much debt- The problem here is that not all debt is equal. Much of SCTY's debt is related to PPA installations that have already been completed. Those PPA contracts are net positives if they are financed at reasonable interest rates because they contain long income streams. Tesla has the option to completely revamp SCTY's business model and those PPAs continue to produce cash flow.

What I see emerging is a Tesla with a profitable core automotive and energy business, beginning in Q3 and a very profitable TE portion of that business beginning in Q4. Tesla's current delivery schedule (new North American deliveries backed up to December already) and their willingness to eliminate the 60kwh Model X, strongly indicates that demand in Q4 is sufficient to meet the 2016 projection of 80,000 vehicles delivered, and that GMs will improve nicely in Q4, both because of the volume of deliveries and because of specific changes to vehicles sold (must order air suspension on X, must order at least 75kwh battery on X).

The missing link is the careful explanation of how SCTY gets turned around on a cashflow basis, and I expect that Elon will address this issue on both Oct 26 at the ER and Oct 28 on the new products reveal event. Moving out of the PPA space and into the owner-financed solar roof business should be the centerpiece of this explanation.

I care little about the UI changes. It is comments about AP performing inferior than before that worries me. Some speculate it is because the car needs to relearn from the driver and it will take some time for the computer to adjust to their new sense (radar as primary).

Most of the negative comments I read about the AP 8.0 being inferior to 7.0 is because of the 'Nag' being more aggressive.

The radar is 'co primary' with the camera. The camera is still responsible for lane keep and lane change.
The radar now instead of being secondary to the camera for auto stop and following distance control is now primary for both of them.

While this article shows how shorts and others view Tesla (and has some value for that purpose) it also highlights some of the errors in their logic, such as:
* Tesla always disappoints on earnings reports- Perhaps certain earnings reports from 2013 are more appropriate this time around, when Tesla shocked the market with profitability.
* TE is largely ignored- Combine the likely improvements in cell chemistry in the 2170 cells for frequent-cycling storage solutions with the substantial overall improvements in TE 2.0 products (inverter, etc.), and you have a recipe for very substantial profitability coming from TE, with pretty amazing margins. No wonder Tesla is accelerating the gigafactory growth.
* Tesla with SolarCity will have too much debt- The problem here is that not all debt is equal. Much of SCTY's debt is related to PPA installations that have already been completed. Those PPA contracts are net positives if they are financed at reasonable interest rates because they contain long income streams. Tesla has the option to completely revamp SCTY's business model and those PPAs continue to produce cash flow.

What I see emerging is a Tesla with a profitable core automotive and energy business, beginning in Q3 and a very profitable TE portion of that business beginning in Q4. Tesla's current delivery schedule (new North American deliveries backed up to December already) and their willingness to eliminate the 60kwh Model X, strongly indicates that demand in Q4 is sufficient to meet the 2016 projection of 80,000 vehicles delivered, and that GMs will improve nicely in Q4, both because of the volume of deliveries and because of specific changes to vehicles sold (must order air suspension on X, must order at least 75kwh battery on X).

The missing link is the careful explanation of how SCTY gets turned around on a cashflow basis, and I expect that Elon will address this issue on both Oct 26 at the ER and Oct 28 on the new products reveal event. Moving out of the PPA space and into the owner-financed solar roof business should be the centerpiece of this explanation.
Agreed. Look forward to your Friday summary in the chart thread

The incentives stimulate demand, and while demand isn't an issue, the incentives are pretty much irrelevant. It's also important to note that something like 40% of sales are in markets with little to no direct incentives. Also not everyone qualifies for the federal incentive, and certainly not the state incentives, which are at least based on income in California.

It's a tech company, just not an internet or SW company. More comparable to Apple or Samsung than Google or Facebook.
ugh... you know what I don't understand?... it seems like there are very intelligent people on this board... but many appear to subscribe to this same line of thinking.

what makes Tesla more like Apple, Google or Facebook than Ford, GM, Toyota, Volkswagen, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.