Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it appears that assembly of Model S body is still being performed on older Body Assembly Line #1, i.e. It was not blended to the newer Body Assembly Line #2, which currently produces bodies for MX.

All of those photos look old. That is the original body line. I'm pretty sure they've done away with the magnetic tape following carts as well. At least they weren't there last time I toured the factory.

All of those photos look old. That is the original body line. I'm pretty sure they've done away with the magnetic tape following carts as well. At least they weren't there last time I toured the factory.

Photo 5 of 5 shows Model X, followed by Model S off the final assembly line, so it can't be THAT old.
Not sure what you mean by the "original line". Model S body *is* produced on the original Body Line #1. Could you elaborate?

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Elon has incredible visibility 3-6 months out but wasn't aware of large discounts handed out in September :rolleyes:.

The bear narrative that Elon didn't know about the widespread discounting is ill informed. Of course he knew about the larger than normal discounts being offered on demo/loaner/inventory cars. That was authorized, widespread and clearly visible. However that is NOT what his email was addressing. He was targeting individual cases where salespeople gave additional discounts by, for example, giving away options to one customer while another customer was paying full price for the same option. That was not authorized, confined to a small number of cases, and not visible to Elon until he saw the Reddit post.

Why would TSLA do that? Why give away your single biggest competitive advantage?

Could be hugely profitable if they dominate the market there. As Elon has said, the car market is huge, so even in the best case scenario Tesla will only have a slice of the pie. However, on the software side, the sky is the limit and they could theoretically dominate most of it.

Reactions: KLC13
So, it appears that assembly of Model S body is still being performed on older Body Assembly Line #1, i.e. It was not blended to the newer Body Assembly Line #2, which currently produces bodies for MX.

Photo 5 of 5 shows Model X, followed by Model S off the final assembly line, so it can't be THAT old.
Not sure what you mean by the "original line". Model S body *is* produced on the original Body Line #1. Could you elaborate?

Both S and X are assembled on the same blended line #2. Aren't they? Photo 5 is the clue.

Any thoughts on what the reconfiguration was that caused all the problems in April then? Or maybe they tried, saw it didn't work out and moved back to how it was before?

Both S and X are assembled on the same blended line #2. Aren't they? Photo 5 is the clue.

The *final assembly* is a common line, while the bodies are assembled on two lines - one, old one is used for MS, while the new one - for MX. At certain point MS body assembly planned to be blended into the newer Body assembly line to supposedly make space for M3 body shop.

The key is that final assembly and body assembly are two different processes.

Last edited:
About the product new week, I come up something that we don't expect before.
EM said that TESLA's factory is itself a product.
So could this product be some style of factory layout and workflow? Or a miniature, an assembly line that is programmable? Or at a even smaller scale, some kind of programmable robot?
If so, would this help TSLA SP? Or will it be spinned as another "execution distraction"?

Any thoughts on what the reconfiguration was that caused all the problems in April then? Or maybe they tried, saw it didn't work out and moved back to how it was before?

They needed to debug new Body Line that produces MX, ramp it up, and also do all of the necessary adjustments to the final assembly that had to handle two cars, while previously it was handling only one.

Last edited:
Oh, please. I never said anything about an SEC violation or that tweeting is underhanded.

How many other CEOs of 30B firms are out their tweeting about the financial aspects of their companies? What is the actual purpose? Why not just update S-4's, and discuss the quarterly results and plans at the quarterly meetings?
Because people in my generation and younger get their information this way. It is much more efficient that pulling S-4s, diffing them with an old one and parsing legalese to find out if you care about the new info or not. My generation and the younger ones grew up with you access to information and we value efficiency because of it.

In short, he does it when others don't because he is more in tune with his customers and how they consume information. It's not his fault that other CEOs suck more at disclosure.

Because people in my generation and younger get their information this way. It is much more efficient that pulling S-4s, diffing them with an old one and parsing legalese to find out if you care about the new info or not. My generation and the younger ones grew up with you access to information and we value efficiency because of it.

In short, he does it when others don't because he is more in tune with his customers and how they consume information. It's not his fault that other CEOs suck more at disclosure.
Succinct = 140 chars or 140 pages? o_O

So the market is down on TM because, they are going to report the biggest quarter ever in the history of TM?
They won't have to raise cash to buy more robots to build model 3?
They are getting industrial contracts for TE storage and solar to time shift peak electricity demand?
They are on a pathway to autonomous driving, where the car can be entered into a pool to do other work?
They improved current auto vision by just a software upgrade?
They sell an expensive car and cuv/suv and people who normally don't spend this kind of money on cars are now doing this?
They made mistakes in development of the roadster, MS, and MX and are learning from them?

Help me understand why there is no value in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.