Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla was trading down in integers in January due to Macro recession fears and Model X rollout. Every time it traded down 5-10 dollars I would recommend getting ready for the next 5 dollar drop. I was right. I wasn't saying it to buy back in. That was done just before the Solar City news at 232.00. I have had many opps to sell and buy back in but I don't have the time. If I was scared I would have bailed a while back. Tesla is delivering-literally- and I do believe earnings will take it up substantially. We won't be trading like January again any time soon - imho. Plan accordingly and don't get in over your head so you make a stupid decision.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
We can expect the usual negative spin articles when this company comes out of hiding, regardless if their product is good or not.

Start-up Lucid Motors launches with 300-mile plus premium electric sedan - Roadshow
When I ask if Lucid Motors will be challenging Tesla for customers, Rawlinson points out that electric cars make up a tiny percentage of the luxury market. There should be plenty of room to take customers from the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

They sound excellent. As with any new car company they have a ton of hurdles to overcome, but it sounds like they might have a chance. They clearly understand the concepts proven by Tesla, as opposed to Nissan and GM whose goals are affordable Leaf like cars with a 200 mile range.

Reactions: CatB
IMG_4193.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg
Apparently I'm not the only one who deletes messages and rewrites them :p

Edit update with slightly more information (not much --- use your own channels for more):

Elon Musk holding AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit.Com today at 3pm Pacific Daylight Time (10pm UTC), which is a little over 4 hours from when I'm posting this message.

Although I have no way to confirm, there seems to be claims that it will be on http://Reddit.com/r/spacex

And furthermore that the ACTUAL AMA thread has not yet been started, so people will have to search for it when it comes time, probably sooner, right? This is my first reading of an AMA, and this is a high profile one, so it's probably also special, too, so I have no idea how it actually will come up.

Last edited:
Q2 Earnings Call @ 8:15
Brian Johnson of Barclays
"..what do the amendments to the credit agreement for SCTY kinda do to your ability to borrow in terms of this captive financing?"

"I don't want to talk a lot about SolarCity on this call, that's not what this is, but they got some pretty advanced capability in thinking through how to walk through this as well"

Any idea what Wheeler is referring to?

I disagree. IMO the core competency of Tesla is vision. GM could easily either roll out an alternative to the supercharger, or pay Tesla for access. The main barrier is that they don't have the vision to do it.
I guess we will have to disagree on this one Mitch. You can have the clearest most far reaching vision but it isn't worth anything if you don't have the team who can deliver it. With any far reaching vision there are a myriad of unknowns and unforeseen problems. Engineering is problem solving.

Take Autonomy as an example. Many companies have the vision of delivering autonomous vehicles around 2020. But Tesla is way ahead in engineering solutions - 3D virtual image from radar snapshots instead of more expensive and more limited Lidar, accumulating millions of miles weekly or soon daily to improve the detailed maps, robotic charge cable for automated recharging, building their own machine vision/neural net software instead of waiting for 3rd parties, etc.

I'm not discounting the immense value of Elon's vision. But he is also Chief Engineer and IMO it is Tesla's ability to rapidly deliver against Elon's roadmap that sets it apart.

I agree that hardware 2.0 is unlikely to ever receive regulatory approval in western countries for level 4/5. Which is why I said "if". But all projections are probabilities. It is possible Musk will reach his goal.

But I also believe that most Tesla owners will not rent out their cars . The first time the car is returned with the smell of B.O. and mystery stains the dream of monetizing a personal vehicle will sour.

Cars used by strangers will likely remain corporate owned.
Autonomous driving is not a hardware problem, it is a computer science problem. It will be know to be solved when it is proven to be solved.

Tesla has a gazillion issues to solve before level four is possible. Talking about level five in existing cars seems to be a joke. Have they eliminated the mechanical brake linkage in the S/X starting this week? If they haven't, these cars are not level 5 capable.

What Musk is playing at is Uber's valuation. If Uber is worth more than $60B, then Tesla is too. (I do think Tesla is well ahead of Uber, but no one knows the distance to the finish line)

Autonomous driving is a solved problem. Has been for years. Google has racked up a lot of miles on their autonomous fleet, and they're just one of many groups involved. To make autonomous driving acceptable to the masses and convince the lawmakers to write laws to regulate it sensibly, you must defeat the FUD that it might kill people (because humans are TERRIBLE at assessing risk rationally), you have to prove that it is safer than humans over huge numbers of miles in all types of conditions. The only way to do that is to record a bunch of data. It would take decades to rack up the data required in a small fleet of vehicles owned by the company pushing the technology (see: Google). Tesla's adding the hardware to the whole fleet will rack up the miles at a rate orders of magnitude faster than Google could ever dream of.

The DARPA Grand Challenge started the ball rolling in many ways back in 2004. That first year, none of the autonomous vehicles involved made the finish line, and DARPAs million dollar prize went unclaimed. In 2005, they did it again, and 5/23 finished, and all but one surpassed the distance travelled by the furthest travelling car in the 2004 event. Since then, DARPA has run urban challenges and other events, consistently pushing the technology further and further. In 2006, I saw one of those vehicles that was trying to gain entry into the 2005 DARPA challenge and failed. In that era, these vehicles had numerous sensors on the exterior, and the bulk of the vehicle's interior was dedicated to housing a large amount of computing hardware. The pricetag for most of these vehicles was well into the mid 6 figure territory, as most of them used LIDAR units which were in the six digit range on their own. In the decade plus since, we've seen many of the required sensors get smaller and cheaper, and the software get better at using sensors intelligently, and the computing power required drop, as well as get more efficient packaging.

Autonomous driving is not an unsolved problem. The unsolved part is packaging the sensor suite and computing power in a way that is cheap enough to mass produce, and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't look ridiculous. Tesla seems to have done that with the AP2.0 hardware. It would be insane for regulators to not approve it when presented with the data. Eventually the people will revolt.

Fancy math for people interested:
Using this data:
Fatality Facts

Taking the Deaths per 100M Vehicle Miles Travelled by state as my population, I compute a standard deviation of 0.297 and it shows the overall mean at 1.08. Standard normal distribution suggests that 99.7% of all results will land within 3 standard deviations of the mean. That means the expected range of Deaths per 100M VMT is 0.189 to 1.971.

As of Elon's 7 Oct tweet, AP had logged 222M miles, and has 1 confirmed death so far. That's a rate of 0.450 Deaths per 100M VMT, or greater than 2 standard deviations below the mean, suggesting less than a 5% chance that happens from random chance, and a rate ~25% lower than any individual state. DC, RI, VT, and MN are the 4 lowest rate places, in the mid 0.6x range.

How many miles should AP have to prove itself better than humans over before regulators should approve it? Its already better than 2 standard deviations below the mean, but the sample size is small at 222M miles. The average reporting state has 59B miles these statistics are computed over. The smallest is DC at 3.5B miles. Standard deviation is 61B miles, so I could see an argument that perhaps you should prove it over (59B+(61B*3))=242B mi, and that its better than 0.189 deaths per 100M VMT. That would be unquestionably better (3 std dev above mean miles calculated over, 3 std dev below mean deaths per 100M VMT).

Last edited:
Q2 Earnings Call @ 8:15
Brian Johnson of Barclays
"..what do the amendments to the credit agreement for SCTY kinda do to your ability to borrow in terms of this captive financing?"

"I don't want to talk a lot about SolarCity on this call, that's not what this is, but they got some pretty advanced capability in thinking through how to walk through this as well"

Any idea what Wheeler is referring to?

Yes, that language was very surprising. Highly complimentary. Guessing that he means utility scale project financing -- e.g., the Hawaii project. Consumer project financing has seemed to be where the self-sabotage has resided, but it would be interesting to learn that Wheeler was also talking about that.

• Funny
Reactions: imherkimer
Brilliant publicity move for reddit, Elon uses Twitter and reddit, and the blog of Tim Urban (WaitButWhyNot) as his three main communication channels in the purely digital space. You'll note that he doesn't use Facebook, Instagram or Vine for example. Those are deliberate choices. Now reddit is getting heavier and heavier in its space much thanks to guys like Elon making it "the place where interesting direct interaction can occur in near real time with important individuals of our time. Where you can literally ask them anything. And if they answer it's them, in this case Elon himself in person likely typing the answer personally using a keyboard or his phone."

Last edited:
Autonomous driving is not an unsolved problem. The unsolved part is packaging the sensor suite and computing power in a way that is cheap enough to mass produce, and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't look ridiculous. Tesla seems to have done that with the AP2.0 hardware. It would be insane for regulators to not approve it when presented with the data. Eventually the people will revolt.

I agree with all of this, however, we need to have freedom, too, so there will have to be a function to go where we want whenever we want. Also, in places with dictatorships, this will be an issue.

Anyway, you're correct about the solved vs not solved issue and the packaging issue. It seems like this time, they've finally got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.