Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
McConnell hints against nuke option to kill Dem filibusters

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell hinted Wednesday that he doesn't support the controversial idea of changing Senate rules to kill Democratic filibusters, and instead indicated that this move might be seen as an overreach by Republicans.

When Democrats ran the Senate, they changed the rules to allow for simple majority votes for judicial nominees, but not Supreme Court nominees, which can still be filibustered. But despite speculation that Republicans will take this next step, McConnell indicated some resistance to it when asked.

He said "overreaching after an election, generally speaking, is a mistake." And when pressed on McConnell's approach to working with Democrats in the new Senate, McConnell said the way the chamber is structured requires "some Democratic participation and cooperation."

Thanks Rob. Good find.

Republicans don't have 60 Senate Seats. 51 or 52.

So, no, they can't do anything they want whenever they want.

That is why our wise Founding Fathers created the filibuster.

So 51% or in this case 48% couldn't bully everyone else.

And not all Republicans are Trumpistas.

Most Congressional Republicans are not.
  • The Senate (under Harry Reid) changed its rules in 2013 to eliminate filibusters for all executive and non-Supreme judicial appointments. In those cases, it will take all 48 Democrats plus 3 Republicans (since Pence is the tie-breaker) to "defeat" an appointment.
  • Tim Keane put the idea of expanding the Reid change to include the Supreme Court on the table last month, so that's a possibility:
    Tim Kaine: Democrats Will Nuke Filibuster For Supreme Court Nominees If GOP Won't Cooperate | Huffington Post
  • There are 10 Democratic Senators from states who went Trump who are up for election in 2018. Those Senators will be (should be) walking on eggshells after last night.
  • Nobody has (seriously) suggested eliminating the filibuster on legislation
The upshot of the first and third bullets is that Trump can probably make his executive appointments quickly and without much argument (within reason, of course). If his nomination for the Alito seat is held up, he may have enough leverage to pull the trigger on the second bullet -- he can argue that it's a question of when (not if) due to Keane's statement, that it has "worked out for lower-court appointments since 2013", or play the same "we need 9 justices" card. He doesn't need to convince everyone, just 51 of them...

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Poor guy! Sold at the open!!! Plus he is invoking Kenny Rogers song to justify his idiotic move clearly made out of sheer panic
First law of being a successful investor:
Do not panic
I sold only 128 shares of TSLA at open to meet few margin calls
I continue to hold all my TSLA stock and calls and stay superlong

Meanwhile, Norway just extended incentives to 2020, Germany is looking at an ICE free automotive mandate by 2030, and China is looking for more ZEVs too and adjusting their incentive programs. Besides, alternative energy is a terrific business... and if the rest of the globe is buying it, hopefully the U.S. will have a hand in supplying it. That includes Tesla. And hopefully a Trump/GOP government would be friendly to U.S. companies looking to export.

Hope I'm not jumping in too late, again, but the Conservative British Government has also recently announced its intention to get off coal usage.

• Informative
Reactions: TrendTrader007
In the interest of saving the health of a contributor here, I would like to suggest that @Xpert be allowed to eat a facsimile of his sock. Be it paper or a molded edible cake, should be fine. Since a certain BS never held up his bargain to eat a hat, I would not want to force an upstanding member of TMC risk life and limb for a bet (shaved heads are a different story).

Democrats still have a veto in the senate. There are ways around it, like reconciliation, but it isn't trivial or easy to do.

But watch out, in January the Senate can vote again on its rules. The Senator from tobacco could still use what is considered "the nuclear option" and pass a rule which eliminates the filibuster which they have used so successfully throughout the Obama administrations.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
One other thing on the nuclear option: the usual argument against using it is that each party knows they will not hold the senate forever, hence they don't want to introduce the nuclear option on anything except a crucially important issue, in case they need to use filibuster themselves at some point in future. I therefore don't think the ITC alone is important enough to use the nuclear option (as I explained above), unless they have already decided to use it anyway for a related matter.

Say, for repeal of the EPA or hobbling its budget to near extinction.

But watch out, in January the Senate can vote again on its rules. The Senator from tobacco could still use what is considered "the nuclear option" and pass a rule which eliminates the filibuster which they have used so successfully throughout the Obama administrations.
I am confident that Republicans won't do it because they know Democrats will return the favor when it is their turn.

Reactions: Intl Professor
  • Helpful
Reactions: Troy
Why is Elon tweeting this? How does it benefit Tesla? He should learn when to shut up :mad:

I was hoping that Elon would at least maintain a warm relationship with help from Peter Thiel. Start a fight right after the election??

Will of the people is sacred and must be honored even if it is different from ours. Trump is our president now and he deserves full respect and cooperation for the next 4 years.

In the interest of saving the health of a contributor here, I would like to suggest that @Xpert be allowed to eat a facsimile of his sock. Be it paper or a molded edible cake, should be fine. Since a certain BS never held up his bargain to eat a hat, I would not want to force an upstanding member of TMC risk life and limb for a bet (shaved heads are a different story).

Another option, of course, is just to let it go.

Another option, of course, is just to let it go.

I personally have no problems with either solution listed above.

Alternative fulfillment could be reading 10 SA articles. If that be the case I will have anti nausea medication ready.

Why is Elon tweeting this? How does it benefit Tesla? He should learn when to shut up :mad:

I was hoping that Elon would at least maintain a warm relationship with help from Peter Thiel. Start a fight right after the election??

Will of the people is sacred and must be honored even if it is different from ours. Trump is our president now and he deserves full respect and cooperation for the next 4 years.
Did Republicans give Obama "full respect and cooperation" at anytime during the past eight years? Just sayin....

Did Republicans give Obama "full respect and cooperation" at anytime during the past eight years? Just sayin....
Elon is a businessman first and his top priority should be getting the best out of a bad situation. Having Trump on your side is a great relief.

Elon already has so many issues to attend to, political fight with the President shouldn't be one of them. This is a problem to be solved with diplomacy and tact. Peter Thiel can help immensely to mend ways or even build a good relationship with Trump. In politics, there are no permanent friends or foes.

I just want people here to own up to their word. A sock is a sock. :)

Alright, but if @Xpert wants I'd be ok with him shaving his head and posting a video of it here instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.