Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The train has left the station loaded with steak.

The train has left the station loaded with steak.

It's all good, man. Don't sweat it. You don't have to do the hard work ahead, you just have to sit back and wait to collect the moola.

The solar roof/integrated Powerwall is exciting but until we see the price is less than a traditional roof and we start seeing them installed I think your train has *frozen* steak (and I just hear the solar sizzle) on board waiting to be cooked/served.

I have every confidence that the sizzle will turn to steak but, IMO, there is still time to get on the train in the short/medium term. I could be wrong and collect less *moola* but I will continue to board the train and sit in the second car and be happy seeing paper profits in other alternative investments for the time being.

*conservative bull*

Find it hard to believe why the big boys have yet to push the stock to the upside. Most of these "traders" don't care about the future of the company, only making profit. This stock has been punished day in and day out for the better part of 6 months and we are still holding in there at a respectable level. So many retail shorts. Why wouldn't they squeeze it for quick run up? Makes no sense to me. One of the easier targets out there. I could care less, but I do find it strange leaving $ on the table like this. If we can get a sustainable rally to 200, 215 will be simple as the kiddies cover. Then push it back down if they can....or try with 85% of holders approving of Elon's plans....haha

Last edited:
Musk Says Tesla’s Solar Shingles Will Cost Less Than a Dumb Roof

If Musk’s claims prove true, this could be a real turning point in the evolution of solar power.

“So the basic proposition will be: Would you like a roof that looks better than a normal roof, lasts twice as long, costs less and—by the way—generates electricity?” Musk said. “Why would you get anything else?”

Make no mistake: The new shingles will still be a premium product, at least when they first roll out. The terra cotta and slate roofs Tesla mimicked are among the most expensive roofing materials on the market—costing as much as 20 times more than cheap asphalt shingles.

Reactions: SpaceAce
By 2025.

It just seems like a hiring freeze for blue collar workers and most white collar positions save for critically needed engineers.

VW also wants some workers to retire early, it's not only a hiring freeze. So they might have to offer some incentives for that.

Not sure about blue / white collar positions, I'm sure VW could get rid of lots of white collar workers and not only save money, but also make it easier for others to do the work they are paid for. :)

Reactions: MitchJi
So I was talking to this lady yesterday about her Tesla, not telling her about mine or my belief in TSLA. She went on and on about how much she loves her car, and that everyone she knows that has one absolutely loves it.

Tesla is creating products that people love. You can't deduce by analogy (how many slate tile roofs exist today, etc) to accurately predict demand for Tesla's products. People are going to fall all over each other to get a Tesla roof. That goes for Powerwalls, Model 3, and whatever else they come up with as well.

They are creating demand for something that didn't exist.

Which is precisely what Elon suggested. If its cheaper, lasts longer, looks better, AND produces free electricity to boot? Why wouldn't you buy it? If its only cheaper than a tile roof, I can still make an economic argument that its too expensive and choose to buy an asphalt roof instead. The way Elon talks about it being a total no-brainer to do says asphalt shingle to me, not tile. If not at launch, then certainly once the factory reaches full tilt.

Correct. TSLA didn't. They're only just starting to change it now that Model 3 looks like an impending reality. The other automakers didn't take the threat of TSLA seriously until Model 3 was on the table. The solar roofing tiles aren't like cars - there isn't a high-end and a low-end kind of roof, beyond asphalt shingles that 99% of us have, and tiles that last 2-4x as long and cost 2-4x as much. Its like the difference between a Honda Fit and a Honda Accord price-wise, but if 99% of cars were Fits. Sure, there's a difference, but there is nothing at the tippy top like Acura NSX at the top of the roofing world to go after first as Tesla did in the cars.

Tesla's approach with the cars was simple: They knew it would be expensive to build a car, so they built a car that they could sell for a lot of money, learning from the mistakes of countless car companies that tried to start by going after the 20k commuter car first. That approach doesn't work for roofs, and it doesn't need to.

OK, and? SoCal has one of the highest costs of living anywhere on the planet. I say again, if you want to change the world, you have to dream bigger than SoCal. At launch, and while they're still production constrained on the tiles, they might be more expensive, but within 5 years, it will be cheaper than asphalt shingle. Mark my words.
This is important. It would probably be really bad to beat the price of asphalt shingles right now because they wouldn't be able to satisfy demand. Once this has truly ramped would be the best time to reach that price point.

It looks the SCTY acquisition will consummate in the "coming days". I assume that means sometime next week SCTY shares will be swapped for TSLA shares. From Tesla's website:

Tesla’s shareholders have overwhelmingly approved our acquisition of SolarCity. Excluding the votes of Elon and other affiliated shareholders, more than 85% of shares voted were cast in favor of the acquisition. With SolarCity’s shareholders also having approved the acquisition, the transaction will be completed in the coming days.
Tesla’s Acquisition of SolarCity Receives Shareholder Approval

If Musk’s claims prove true, this could be a real turning point in the evolution of solar power.

“So the basic proposition will be: Would you like a roof that looks better than a normal roof, lasts twice as long, costs less and—by the way—generates electricity?” Musk said. “Why would you get anything else?”

Make no mistake: The new shingles will still be a premium product, at least when they first roll out. The terra cotta and slate roofs Tesla mimicked are among the most expensive roofing materials on the market—costing as much as 20 times more than cheap asphalt shingles.

The conspiracy people think that Tesla (the guy) invented free energy and the government, which is of course, for them, a puppet of the fossil fuel industry hide the invention from us the people, So it's funny that after 100 years Tesla brings free energy to the market o_O :cool:

Those of us who have driven Teslas for years now cannot look at a hybrid as a serious alternative to our vehicles. It's not even close. The low CG, the handling, the breathtaking but quiet acceleration, the robust and continually expanding supercharger network all make the Tesla experience amazing. Add autopilot and over-the-air software updates and it just becomes more amazing. Add solar panels atop your house and you'll drive on sunshine for the next 30+ years. A minivan with pistons and rings, cylinders, water pump, spark plugs, transmission fluid, a radiator, tailpipes, fanbelts, and a hundred other things that can go wrong is no longer something most of us ever want to deal with again, thank you. There's a really good reason why the Tesla Model S is the most loved vehicle on the planet. Until you get some serious time behind the wheel of a Tesla, MMD, you just won't understand. I'm not trying to be highbrow here. The pure EV experience is something that changes most drivers forever and few journey back to the land of chitty-chitty-bang-bang. Leaf owners are the people who buy lots of the used Teslas here in Hawaii. They too don't ever want to go back to their formerly fuelish ways and they're looking for a vehicle without the limitations of the Leaf. Hoping you get to try a Tesla and understand. Better yet, why don't you put your name on the reservation list for a Model 3? You won't regret it.
OT
stopped by Delaware, USA, supercharger at I-95 rest stop. saw a model X with 1 door open and a model S, quietly refueling.
saw 2 driving in NYC. they are becoming more and more

Only a tough s

.......The terra cotta and slate roofs Tesla mimicked are among the most expensive roofing materials on the market—costing as much as 20 times more than cheap asphalt shingles.
Please factor in the TCO (total cost of ownership)
I used premium asphalt shingles $$$$, I have a 17year old PV array protecting part of the roof, and after 33 years need to replace the THIRD time due to deterioration of the asphalt shingles.
I live at 40degrees N latitude in the MidAtlantic region
I somewhat dispute your 20x cost factor in a request for actual numbers and am cautiously optimistic.

(as a single data point, I have a friend who knows nothing about solar whom wants to eventually replace his roof with Tesla shingles and volunteered this w/o asking,
there is more general knowledge and desire out there than we are aware of, he is esthetically averse to present solar panels but really enthused about solar shingles coupled w/ a battery)

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
Please factor in the TCO (total cost of ownership)
I used premium asphalt shingles $$$$, I have a 17year old PV array protecting part of the roof, and after 33 years need to replace the THIRD time due to deterioration of the asphalt shingles.
I live at 40degrees N latitude in the MidAtlantic region
I somewhat dispute your 20x cost factor in a request for actual numbers and am cautiously optimistic.

(as a single data point, I have a friend who knows nothing about solar whom wants to eventually replace his roof with Tesla shingles and volunteered this w/o asking,
there is more general knowledge and desire out there than we are aware of, he is esthetically averse to present solar panels but really enthused about solar shingles coupled w/ a battery)

Thanks for the info. I know nothing about roofs or it's costs. I was merely copy-pasting a snippet of info from the article as an interesting data point.

Status
Not open for further replies.