Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do know about the Px2 platform it uses 2 Pascal GPUs with 256 CUDA cores each, the only Pascal part that Nvidia currently sells with 256 CUDA cores is the GP106. You will find the GP106 was used in the GTX 1060 which currently sell for $200 each so we're looking at ~$400 for the GPUs alone (who knows what changes they make for automotive use).

$200 for the SOC is not possible given the hardware involved.

At this point, the term PX2 platform is likely a very loose thing. Tesla says they wrote their own software and was choosing between NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel. They picked the NVIDIA Titan. NVIDIA puts out a press release saying that Tesla uses the Drive PX2 platform. I suspect the real answer is that Tesla is doing things in a PX2 kind of way, but that doesn't mean they are using anything in particular that you find on a particular PX2 board as supplied by NVIDIA. SpaceX has a habit of doing this also. So likely a GP106, as it is a cut down GP104. We don't know the bin, as we don't know how fast Tesla is clocking this chip. Given that the GTX 1060 reference graphics card is expected to retail for $249, the chip cost is far, far less. I suspect around $100 to $125. Tegra's are like $40-50 in automotive. The Mobileye EyeQ3 was under $50 IIRC.

In the past I've worked on a hardware project where we built our own SOC I know how the BOM prices shake out.

They are using two Tegra and 4x A57 comparing to the Nvidia Jetson platform (Which uses a A57) I don't see this coming in under 1k just for the SOC.

NVIDIA Jetson TX1 64-bit ARM A57 CPUs Motherboard/CPU Combo - Newegg.com

Jetson TK1

Jetson TK1 Embedded Developer Kit from NVIDIA

EDIT: Also it takes multiple Px2 SOCs for fully autonomous driving. See: Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2
The last NVIDIA link you provided shows a complete dev system for under $200. How would you extrapolate that information into your conclusion that the system sold to Tesla costs thousands? Infact, it only strengthens the thesis that hardware cost is under $1k.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
There's no way this will happen without the inclusion of Elon Musk. What say ye? Or maybe Musk will even get his own private conference, as would be appropriate.

I predict a boost to stock price would surely follow.

I know, like the sun coming up everyday, I'm an optimist. :cool:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html

Trump Plans Technology Conference With Silicon Valley Executives

The tech industry was almost universally opposed to Mr. Trump, which might give the meeting a touch of combativeness. His transition team and cabinet posts draw much more heavily from Wall Street than Silicon Valley.

There is one major exception: Peter Thiel, a vocal Trump backer who is now in New York helping with the transition. Late last week, David Sacks, the chief executive of Zenefits, said he was stepping down amid conflicting reports that he will be working on the transition as well. Mr. Sacks is a longtime associate of Mr. Thiel.

The list of those being invited was not immediately clear, but among those expected are Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Tim Cook of Apple and Sundar Pichai of Google.

Peter Thiel is a wild card. He supports Trump for reasons that go beyond what the author of that article is able to process. A shakeup in the establishment forces a public reaction that can ultimately force systemic change in ways that aren't otherwise possible. Here is a good article that provides a general idea of why Thiel backed Trump.

Why Peter Thiel Really Supports Trump

Even if Elon isn't present, Thiel being invited is a equally as good if not better. Thiel is a very good friend of Elon's, has billions to invest in companies, and is a very unconventional futurist.

Easy way to jump start the economy.

1) Tax holiday with conditions all money be invested in job creation or infrastructure.

2) Encourage/Force Apple, Microsoft, and Google to invest some of its $300 billion in cash into US Automakers for EV development. Even if Trump claims he doesn't believe in climate change, he can't deny that green jobs pay well and will be the main area of growth in next 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lump and MitchJi
I am not sure what your point is. The last NVIDIA link you provided shows a complete dev system for under $200. How would you extrapolate that information into your conclusion that the system sold to Tesla costs thousands? Infact, it only strengthens the thesis that hardware cost is under $1k.

You missed the part where it takes Multiple Px2 SOCs Each with more hardware then the Jetson to do full autonomous.

You're implying that they can't use the 2170s on the S/X only the 3. Why would Panasonic care? I thought the purchase agreement was just for a set amount..

We really don't know. Earlier, when the first phase of the Gigafactory was likely around 7 GWh, pretty much all of the first phase's capacity had to be dedicated to the Model 3. It would have been quite risky to both ship the Model 3 and transition the S/X to Gigafactory production at the same time. My assumption at that point was that Panasonic's Osaka plants would continue to build 18650's for the S/X, but with the newer chemistry until the Gigafactory phases were sufficiently ahead of Model 3 demand that they could transition. And then the Osaka plants would make stationary storage cells for Tesla.

Now, if the Gigafactory is 3x the capacity per phase, all bets are off. In any case, Panasonic's Osaka plants can make stationary storage cells, as it appears that the pressure on price points just isn't the same as on the automotive side, and certainly not like it is for the Model 3.

When I talked to some Panasonic people @ the Gigafactory this summer, I asked about converting Osaka to 2170's, and they indicated that they were thinking about it. But of course, who knows...

We need to ROFL every once in a while. So Seeking Anti-Tesla has a new article from Anton Wahlman

The Argument Trump Could Use To Ban Electric Cars Outright

Summary
  • Tenneco’s chief technologist claims that new automobile emissions control technologies are reaching a dramatically efficient stage for regular gasoline/diesel cars.
  • So efficient, in fact - he claims - that what comes out the tailpipe of the new car/truck is cleaner than what enters it through the air filter.
  • In case you didn’t quite catch that, it would mean that a new vehicle is so clean that you’re actually cleaning the air when you run the engine.
  • Amazingly, that would mean that these new gasoline/diesel cars are even cleaner than a zero-emissions battery-electric car. Less than zero is less than zero.
  • Assuming this Tenneco claim is verified, the Trump administration could use this as an argument to tax electric cars or outright ban them.

In other news, you can no longer commit suicide by carbon monoxide inhalation. :)

I don't disagree, my point is I've seen many people expect that many of the things you need to pay extra for in the MS/MX will somehow become "free" or "cheaper" options for the 35k M3.. I just don't see that happening.

Maybe Tesla pulls an Amazon and says hey, you can get FSD for free/cheap by letting us make all the profits from using your car in the Tesla Network for X # of miles. etc.. (like a ad enabled discounted kindle)

Food for thought:

Uber has a 60 billion dollar valuation and they don't have the ability to push out thousands of autonomous cars per week (even if they are ICE retrofits) much of the 60 billion valuation is the promise that they can reduce costs for on demand transport by cutting out the drivers.

Makes Tesla stock at 30 billion seem dirt cheap if you ask me.

I'd agree about uber. But disagree about the option not being free on the model 3. I get the feeling by the time the model 3 is out it may be free on the s and x the same way the s 60 and 60d got 4000 bucks cheaper in July even though it had a 70 battery back with a software limitation. Tesla has a tendancy to drop pricing on their products as their efficiencies increase and costs decrease whereas other companies would just tend to pocket the difference.

If they didn't do this the model s p100d would be much more expensive than it is today.

Nothing comes up in relation to when 2170s go into S/X.
Might have been 2070's. But after some further thought it was a very vague statement. Which could mean that they don't know, or don't want to say. One reason for not saying could be like the AP 2 hardware. They waited to announce it on the M3 until they rolled it out on the MS-MX, because they didn't want to Osborne the MS-MX. It could be similar with the cells. For example at the final M3 reveal they could announce a 100 kWh pack for the M3 and a 120 kWh pack for the MS-MX.

Tesla has assembled a world class team of chip designers. Why?

Analyzing first principles what gives Tesla the most value with computer chips? It's highly likely to me that that's AP hardware. A substantial expense on every vehicle (cars, minibuses, semi's etc. They could also reduce their hardware requirements by doing some of the radar related DSP in hardware as opposed to software.

Everything in this post is speculation.

Now, if the Gigafactory is 3x the capacity per phase, all bets are off. In any case, Panasonic's Osaka plants can make stationary storage cells, as it appears that the pressure on price points just isn't the same as on the automotive side, and certainly not like it is for the Model 3.
I don't think that they will go back to producing TE products using the 18650 cells.

Anything that depends solely on software will probably cost less, because it's amortized over a larger new of cars. Three examples are ludicrous mode, AP and autonomy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ludicrous mode contains hardware dependencies such as advanced smart fuse and Inconel more over than software update(s). Source, at ¶¶ 5 and 6: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

In other words, your two other examples could technically be grouped together where it has a combination of hardware and software. However, my understanding is that the last two examples require continuous software updates which fits your assessment (software amortized). Not so with ludicrous mode.

@MitchJi like this?

First off very old news and enough FUD on this already.
This is so wrong on every level.

If you don't want to believe that trump is having or could have an impact on the short term SP you are welcome to bury your head in the sand.

You are the person producing the FUD on this issue.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ludicrous mode contains hardware dependencies such as advanced smart fuse and Inconel more over than software update(s). Source, at ¶¶ 5 and 6: Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk

In other words, your two other examples could technically be grouped together where it has a combination of hardware and software. However, my understanding is that the last two examples require continuous software updates which fits your assessment (software amortized). Not so with ludicrous mode.
But the hardware is probably in every MS-MX and M3. It was developed to increase the reliability of the cars, not to improve the performance. I believe it's in every car. If they have not announced that fact, it's probably because they don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are charging $10k for a software upgrade.

Last edited:
But the hardware is probably in every MS-MX and M3. It was developed to increase the reliability of the cars, not to improve the performance. I believe it's in every car. If they have not announced that fact, it's probably because they don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are charging $10k for a software upgrade.

Tesla's Model S configuration website doesn't indicate ludicrous mode is a software upgrade available after the car being built to order (e.g., 60D or 100D). In fact, the only Model S that has ludicrous mode is the P100D on the configuration website. With regards to the silent inclusion, I highly doubt that. The hardware costs are too great to justify potential revenue like 60D having the option to go to 75 kWh.

We need to ROFL every once in a while. So Seeking Anti-Tesla has a new article from Anton Wahlman

The Argument Trump Could Use To Ban Electric Cars Outright

Summary
  • Tenneco’s chief technologist claims that new automobile emissions control technologies are reaching a dramatically efficient stage for regular gasoline/diesel cars.
  • So efficient, in fact - he claims - that what comes out the tailpipe of the new car/truck is cleaner than what enters it through the air filter.
  • In case you didn’t quite catch that, it would mean that a new vehicle is so clean that you’re actually cleaning the air when you run the engine.
  • Amazingly, that would mean that these new gasoline/diesel cars are even cleaner than a zero-emissions battery-electric car. Less than zero is less than zero.
  • Assuming this Tenneco claim is verified, the Trump administration could use this as an argument to tax electric cars or outright ban them.

In other news, you can no longer commit suicide by carbon monoxide inhalation. :)

You know tesla is on track to have a good quarter when shorts are writing about things like the earthquake risk potential at Fremont, that gigafactory could get hit by an asteroid, or that the new administration could just ban EVs. :D

Tesla's Model S configuration website doesn't indicate ludicrous mode is a software upgrade available after the car being built to order (e.g., 60D or 100D). In fact, the only Model S that has ludicrous mode is the P100D on the configuration website. With regards to the silent inclusion, I highly doubt that. The hardware costs are too great to justify potential revenue like 60D having the option to go to 75 kWh.
That's true now, but if memory serves, for P90D's without L it was a $10k option that was available after delivery for $11k.

When they introduced P100DL, you could still buy a P90D but the L was no longer an option on P90Ds, and now they've since discontinued the P90D. Ludicrous was never optional on P100Ds.

I suspect that some amount of this monkeying with the lineup and what is optional and what isn't is a function of Tesla experimenting with the decoy effect. Tesla wants you to buy the highest margin options, and so they're trying to manipulate the pricing and availability so you choose to do that of your own accord while still giving you the illusion of choice. Movie theatres selling three sizes of popcorn are a prime example - how many of you always buy the large popcorn because its only 50cents more than the medium, even if you really only wanted a small amount of popcorn? How many people buying a Tesla since the AP2 unveil have bought a car with neither EAP nor FSD?

I suspect that on most P90Ds, Ludicrous was only ordered by the mega enthusiasts for whom money was no object. Nobody really needs the performance differential of going 0-60 in 2.6 instead of 2.8 seconds, at the high cost of $10k, and so most money conscious buyers who wanted the best value for their money were getting P90Ds without L. Introducing P100DL and making the ludicrous upgrade no longer optional, Tesla would sell more ludicrous to those people who want maximum range - at least until they release a 100D non-P version.

Last edited:
We really don't know. Earlier, when the first phase of the Gigafactory was likely around 7 GWh, pretty much all of the first phase's capacity had to be dedicated to the Model 3. It would have been quite risky to both ship the Model 3 and transition the S/X to Gigafactory production at the same time. My assumption at that point was that Panasonic's Osaka plants would continue to build 18650's for the S/X, but with the newer chemistry until the Gigafactory phases were sufficiently ahead of Model 3 demand that they could transition. And then the Osaka plants would make stationary storage cells for Tesla.

When I talked to some Panasonic people @ the Gigafactory this summer, I asked about converting Osaka to 2170's, and they indicated that they were thinking about it. But of course, who knows...

Panasonic stock has been rallying since Toyota set up their electric car division and announced that Panasonic would be providing the batteries. Can Panasonic's Osaka factories make enough batteries for Panasonic energy, Tesla Models S and X, and Toyota? If Toyota ramps up electric car production (a big if), they will quickly close the gap with Tesla even if the cars aren't as good. If such a ramp up were to occur, Panasonic would be under a lot of pressure to build new battery factories with Toyota as well as Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Status
Not open for further replies.