Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Autonomy for CARS is alone worth orders of magnitude more than the value of Tesla today.

If you agree with all the other points I made, then the value of Tesla is not the product they sell, its the innovation and products AND SERVICES they will provide. One thing that rarely comes up is autonomous trucking. Trucking employs 8 million people in the US. Innovations in efficiency in that sector are potentially orders of magnitude above anything else tesla has done.

Tesla as many of us see it is only the tip of the iceburg. And really, wheres the risk? Something happens to Tesla that somehow prevents another tesla branded car from ever selling again, they still have a gigafactorys battery production capacity for the legacy OEMs to buy from. They still have ground breaking innovations in solar roofing and grid level energy storage. Even if the M3 never comes to be (which I don't see being even remotely possible) Tesla is still a massive player in many other games.
yes... Tesla is a massive player in many other games in the future... and could deploy trucks in the future... and they have a lot of innovation and products that they "will" provide in the future... but for some reason... everything that justifies TSLA share price is in the future... and where we disagree is this: "And really, wheres the risk?"

the list of companies that are backing off/having problems with autonomous vehicles is: Apple, Google, Uber... they are not idiots... they've spent real dollars exploring this area and decided to retract... and for some reason they just don't get it like Tesla does?

everything with Tesla is high risk... everything.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
"The fact he's so bad at sales is probably one of the companies greatest strengths."...

look at that statement... it's incredible... you stated his weakness as a strength while still calling it a weakness.

he is a brilliant marketer for this reason.

I don't consider the principal of evolution a marketing driven force, yet cows tastes ****ing awesome.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
yes... Tesla is a massive player in many other games in the future... and could deploy trucks in the future... and they have a lot of innovation and products that they "will" provide in the future... but for some reason... everything that justifies TSLA share price is in the future... and where we disagree is this: "And really, wheres the risk?"

the list of companies that are backing off/having problems with autonomous vehicles is: Apple, Google, Uber... they are not idiots... they've spent real dollars exploring this area and decided to retract... and for some reason they just don't get it like Tesla does?

everything with Tesla is high risk... everything.

I don't think Apple and Google are backing off because its too tough, they are cutting their losses because they know they aren't market leaders, Uber is getting desperate and doing things it shouldn't.

You will get your ass handed to you if you dare doubt Musk on technical competence.
haha... why would you even say this?... because Elon is a genius?... an angel?... a deity?

you have no idea of my background... but for some reason you believe that nobody can compete with Elon?

this mentality alone is a reason to short.

We've gone over relative personal experience in the past on this board and it leads to a lot of noise... I think it's probably best just to compare the amount of effort and funding the massive companies that are being referenced in these posts to Tesla and ask... why do you think Tesla is more capable than Google, Apple, Uber, GM, Mercedes, etc.?... try taking Elon out of the equation when you mull over this... he's a brilliant marketer... but that really isn't relevant when the "rubber hits the road".

Funny you mention "rubber hits the road" when the companies you bring up have only produced PowerPoint presentations. What car have they brought to market as we hit 2017 that can compete with a Tesla Model S from 2012? It's easy to make fancy brochures . Infinitely harder to make the car in my garage

Apple out.
Google done.
Now Uber?
Up next, the shorts..

While I like the sentiment, I don't think Apple is out (merely pivoted in an (unknown) different vehicle direction.
Neither is Google out, they moved self-driving from under Google to be under Alphabet, and gave the group a new name (Waymo). A new way forward for mobility – Waymo If anything this should raise visibility.

Tesla's doing great, but I don't think either of these two is "out". If you're talking vehicle production, well neither were in (they have not one vehicle factory between them).

By coincidence had a chance to speak to an auto analyst today (spouse of someone I work with). He previously was head of GM powertrain NA and other high GM executive positions. Never got into who he worked for now as I was more interested in what he thought of Tesla. He is obviously negative on Tesla as most of us here would expect. (Apologies in advance as my writing isn’t as eloquent as many of you here)

The questions I asked was related to what I hear the most from people that are negative on Tesla and what I think has the most implication on Tesla. He is very bullish on EV and he understands we are seeing a major transition to EV. He loves the speed of Tesla P cars and thinks it’s ridiculous the acceleration is faster than Ferrari & Lamborghini costing ½ the amount.

But why negative on Tesla? Many answers to this question but the major issues is he thinks EM holds too much influence to the day to day task, product design, engineering and the direction the company is headed. He thinks Tesla is into too many directions from EV to energy storage to solar panels to autonomous driving to making all sorts of parts in house. His issue is that the core product isn’t even perfected yet and Tesla is already doing so many other things. He spent a lot of time at the Fremont factory and wasn’t as impressed as we think the factory is. He said Tesla had many more times the number of employees as GM and makes many more time less vehicles. He does not think Tesla has perfected making autos (far from it) and all the quality control (QC) process related isn’t incorporated. If you go there you will see all dark hair (meaning young) employees which is good in a way but there is still a need for grey hair (experienced) people he says. You just don’t know what you don’t know. He gave an example of a young production employee he spoke to. This employee had no background in making cars asked him what he thought of Tesla’s production line. He can see the employee really wanted him to say how great it was. It is the greatest complement if a company can be said to make a product like an auto company production line. This is the major reason why no analyst believes M3 will be made on time, will have many delays and have production QC issues. From what he saw he does not think Tesla is a world class auto maker capable of producing GM/Toyota quantities.

Gigafactory is a very expensive project building a very old battery found in laptops. He assumes (never been to site) the production line is similar as in Fremont and therefore isn’t impressive. He does not think much advantage will be had here. He thinks places like China will underprice Tesla in the future and the world largest building will be empty. He compared this to Motorola having a factory in IL which was supposed to make the Razor flip phone now empty but beautiful campus. You can see some comments here on TMC to be pretty accurate as an ‘auto guy’ wouldn’t know Tesla Energy.

Ride share and autonomous driving. He 100% believes this is the future in 5-10 years. He is as bullish as we are here on TMC. He thinks EV will be the mode for ride sharing and autonomous driving. He even said I’m looking out my window at a full parking lot since 9AM and these cars can be used in a ride sharing network if it has autonomous capabilities. He say companies like Google and Uber will be the leader in this arena. He doesn’t think a company like a Google will be beat and Google doesn’t have to spend the Cap Ex on building cars when it can partner up and have another company build it. He see in-house hardware/software autonomous development as a negative. He sees out sourcing and using off the shelf hardware as the way to go.

I’m forgot a lot of our conversation as he had a lot to say…

Lots of take away here. We here are not the only people that think/believe EV is the future seems like most everyone thinks so too. We just have different perspective on who can do it better. Making cars is that hard and Tesla hasn’t prove it is able to pump out the number they are predicting. Makes a lot of sense to me now why Tesla SP would drop when it announced it moving up the timeline making 500K car by end of 2018 from 2020. Now I have more understanding how some people can be so negative on Tesla of which many is reasonable. I can rebuttal many of his argument but it wasn’t what I’m looking for as I think we should take it from the prospective of seeing what the short seller’s viewpoints are. Definitely does not change my long positons in anyway. A little more caution? Yea sure maybe. Hopefully I can talk to him more as Tesla achieves some of the milestones.

Nice post EnzoXYZ always nice to see different perspectives.
Regarding this comment "He spent a lot of time at the Fremont factory and wasn’t as impressed as we think the factory is" it would be interesting to know when he was at the factory. There have been reports that individuals who saw the factory early on, say in 2013-2014 and then returned this year were impressed by the improvement Tesla has made in automating more of the assembly line. If he made his comments after visiting the factory this year his criticism would certainly have more weight. thanks

Funny you mention "rubber hits the road" when the companies you bring up have only produced PowerPoint presentations. What car have they brought to market as we hit 2017 that can compete with a Tesla Model S from 2012? It's easy to make fancy brochures . Infinitely harder to make the car in my garage
last post... I was on the Google campus in the bay area a few weeks ago and witnessed many self driving equipped cars... they are real... and they tried... but did not subject their shareholders with unconscionable risk.

Is there a reason why everyone here shouldn't be completely in favor of a company like Lucid become a wild success? We all know EV's are the now and the future, plenty of room for them and I think this car is the closest to a real car since Tesla.

I don't feel the same way towards companies that produce cars like the bolt for regulatory reasons while still having their primary mission of selling gas guzzlers and destroying the planet for profits. I hope all these companies disappear, the sooner the better.

As for the Uber autonomy issue, first I feel that headline is complete clickbate and the actual video is not that bad, car was barely behind the other cars and I see that type of driving every day. This type of FUD can only cause issues for progress for all companies including Tesla.

I do believe Tesla is approaching autonomy better than everyone else and I don't see a way anyone else can compete and keep up.

While I like the sentiment, I don't think Apple is out (merely pivoted in an (unknown) different vehicle direction.
Neither is Google out, they moved self-driving from under Google to be under Alphabet, and gave the group a new name (Waymo). A new way forward for mobility – Waymo If anything this should raise visibility.

Tesla's doing great, but I don't think either of these two is "out". If you're talking vehicle production, well neither were in (they have not one vehicle factory between them).

If you put it that way, then I guess Fisker is still "in".. although "New Fisker" isn't "out", they're not fooling anyone.

I'm sensing bears have massively over estimated the "Trump Republican effect" while massively underestimating the Elon "made in America" brand.

So...
* Tesla now has nobody close in autonomous driving
* More and more analysts are figuring out that EVs are the future and companies like Tesla will be well rewarded
* Trump and Musk are hanging out together these days and Trump says, "Call me any time I can help you."
* Q4 could well be another profitable quarter with the addition of some TE revenue and
* Model 3 likely is released in 8 to 12 months

Yet shorts weren't worried until they heard THIS news today:
AlMc is thinking of buying back in again.

If the shorts cover because I am considering getting back in then they really (like me) have no idea what they are doing:eek:

I was going to say the same thing. Folks should be careful about getting too excited, especially if they're using this for investment decisions.

Google, and most likely Apple, have both pivoted to ride-sharing, rather than building their own cars. In fact, Google's partnership with Chrysler is a "tell" that they may go in the "minibus" direction.

Everyone is going after the market that Uber has today, but with full-autonomy. GM has already partnered with Lyft for that purpose.

Tesla, for the moment, is the only one with a public plan to attack this by crowd-sourcing their vehicles, which allows them avoid the immense up-front sunk costs. And Tesla will be the only one capable by 2018 of delivering EVs in the quantity necessary to kickstart this movement. Everyone else will need to launch with ICE vehicles.

Maybe Elon should have stolen one of this big golden T signs and brought 6 robots for it.

watch

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
Is there a reason why everyone here shouldn't be completely in favor of a company like Lucid become a wild success? We all know EV's are the now and the future, plenty of room for them and I think this car is the closest to a real car since Tesla

Because they are using Samsung batteries... ;)

But seriously, I personally support FF and Lucid. As you said, we need more players who are serious about EVs and not produce compliance cars. Hopefully the Lucid 'Air' defies its name to become real and comes to market in 2018.

• Love
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
I can agree with the shorts that EM's plan is big, dangerous, and fraught with risk of failure. Most companies balk at that, since the risk of failure is too big a risk for them. However, it is 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', and I think EM feels that we do not have time to pussy foot around, either go big or go home --- that we are on the brink.

His master plan is just that - a plan to try to avoid disaster. Yes, it is risky, but necessary.

He has already done the impossible: built an EV company from scratch (thought impossible), and built rockets cheaper and landed them back on land and a rocking barge (impossible!). While past successes don't guarantee success, EM is willing to bet the bank on building the Model 3 with autonomy. While he may fail, others are guaranteed to fail if they never try.

Yes, autonomy is hard, and yes mistakes and missteps will be made. But if we do not try, it will never happen. On the plus side, computing power is still increasing exponentially, and if is not sufficient to solve the problem, it will be eventually. EM has made a good guess that the current sensor suite is sufficient, if not for level 5, then at least level 4. And if it isn't sufficient for level 5, then by the time that becomes apparent, sufficient compute power and sensors will be available. As EM says, predicting up an exponential curve is always difficult.

I have invested as much money as I am willing to lose without endangering my future -- but I may add more as finances permit. Yes, it is risky, especially with the powers gunning for Tesla, but the upside is also large, and I want to be apart of that potential success.

As an aside, I must say that the meeting with Trump has certainly galvanized the players here. I prefer to bet with EM and optimism, than bet failure and pessimism. Playing short means that when you win, someones dream has failed, how sad.

Is there a reason why everyone here shouldn't be completely in favor of a company like Lucid become a wild success? We all know EV's are the now and the future, plenty of room for them and I think this car is the closest to a real car since Tesla.

I don't feel the same way towards companies that produce cars like the bolt for regulatory reasons while still having their primary mission of selling gas guzzlers and destroying the planet for profits. I hope all these companies disappear, the sooner the better.

As for the Uber autonomy issue, first I feel that headline is complete clickbate and the actual video is not that bad, car was barely behind the other cars and I see that type of driving every day. This type of FUD can only cause issues for progress for all companies including Tesla.

I do believe Tesla is approaching autonomy better than everyone else and I don't see a way anyone else can compete and keep up.

Apparently this last post of mine was not clear, the only "like" received at this point is from "myusername" who I couldn't dislike and disagree with more. I assumed myusername was one of the dimwits that some posters were still shadow boxing with from my perspective. Off to snippiness I go!

Reactions: madodel
Because they are using Samsung batteries... ;)

But seriously, I personally support FF and Lucid. As you said, we need more players who are serious about EVs and not produce compliance cars. Hopefully the Lucid 'Air' defies its name to become real to come to market in 2018.

The following is rant that is not directed at you, so please do not take it personal, but...

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

I have some inside knowledge about FF. In addition to serious financial problems, their design approach is completely different from Tesla's. Everything is outsourced, and their design is conglomeration of black boxes. It is ZERO chance they can challenge Tesla with this approach. The level of optimization of key vehicle systems and velocity of innovation are the main differentiators for Tesla. These are impossible to realize without vertical integration. These Tesla differentiators are the reason they are the ONLY company that was able to bring to market compelling EVs.

I am all for other companies entering EV market with compelling products which is REQUIRED to grow the pie. The problem is that there are NONE so far. The irony is eye-watering, to borrow color from AJ: Tesla, that is currently building and selling compelling EVs is bestowed with all sorts of doubts about what might happen, while PROSPECTIVE offerings from "competion" are treated as certainty. This is insane - we need to keep perspective in mind.

Last edited:

I don't really agree. It was 2.5 seconds after the light turned red that the Uber entered the intersection. That's awhile, and it clearly did so because it did not recognize the light (if it wasn't a human driver).

On another note, one advantage Tesla's hardware suite has is that it's not obvious to bystanders that the car is autonomous, so even when mistakes are made (which will happen, it's a learning process and the stated goal isn't perfection yet) they won't be as noticeable to onlookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.