Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. There's lots of precedent. In the run-up to World War II, FDR and George Marshall deliberately "retired" nearly *every* high-level officer. And there's a good reason for this. Anyone who was around during World War I had a strong tendency to be "fighting the last war". He needed officers with new thinking.

This was also the practice of Lincoln; although the US didn't really have a standing army at the time, he sacked generals *constantly* until he found ones who were *competent* for the war which they were actually fighting.

I'm absolutely in favor of sacking careerist military officers. The only mistake: we should have sacked hundreds, nay, thousands more. These are the guys who can't win a war. New thinking is required, and they don't have it. The army should not, in fact, be a career, at least not for high-level officers -- they should have day jobs during peacetime, like they all did through the whole 19th and early 20th century. Every war is wildly different from the last one and the people who have lots of experience in the last war are most likely completely incompetent to strategize for the current war.

The US had a unique method of operation, where we set up a new military for each war, pretty much, until the Cold War. And the US won every war it got into. The Cold War changed all that; it gave us a military-industrial complex, an establishment; and since then, we tied in Korea and lost in nearly every subsequent war. The Cold War has been over since the 1990s; it's time to clean out the military so that a fresh, lean, new military can approach the current military problems of the world through *fresh eyes*.

Sorry to go off topic, but I couldn't let your false statement go unchallenged. We used to purge the military of highly decorated deadwood *all the time* in this country.

You're not off topic at all. This is a spot on parallel for the legacy ICE auto industry. ;-P

Reactions: neroden
Trump clearly mouthed the words 'thank you' after Elon spoke about Tesla expanding American manufacturing. Definitely the best reaction anyone there got. Tim Cook looked terrified. TSLA should open at least $3 higher tomorrow.

Yes, and Trump raised his finger (in a good way) as soon as Elon said the words Tesla and SpaceX. He was like 'ahh you're the guy Peter keeps mentioning to me...'
We should remember, just like us, Peter Thiel is also long Musk and Peter is Trump's dearest (as seen in the vid)

I'm sure the Trump meeting will overshadow this but another "competitor" unveiled their car

Lucid unveils its electric sedan called ‘Air’: 400 miles of range, 1000 hp, ‘autonomous-ready’ and ‘more than $100,000’

I'm not concerned.

Wonder if the seats in the back are so tilted because there isn't enough headroom to sit them straight up?

lucid-air-1.jpg

020a12_1820d7d8703f4244a7595d76ab229f5e-mv2_d_3733_2333_s_2.jpg

Other than that, I think it is interesting. Not as nice looking as a model S to my eye, but still interesting.

List of companies by 2015 revenue at Trump meeting (in billions):

Apple: 216
Microsoft: 94
IBM: 82
Google: 75
Cisco: 49
Intel: 55
Oracle: 38
Facebook: 18
Tesla: 4

This clearly show how highly Trump regards Elon Musk and Tesla. (At the recommendation of Peter Thiel I'm sure but still)

While I am sure Theil contributed to Trumps knowledge of Musk, I somehow get the feeling at some point in the meeting Trump said "I really want you all to sit down and see what it would take to manufacture in the US. Like Elon did. Cars, Rockets, and solar panels are way harder and more expensive to build than anything you guys sell and he does it all himself in a few years all in the US."

I spent years living in China working with various factories getting things prototyped and made. Most of the factories I used weren't anything special. But they were cheap labor, but nothing that robots couldn't have made viable stateside. The supply chain is a serious issue. Getting most of the components would have been VERY difficult stateside. But I honestly think second to Oil (and soon water) the number one threat to national security is our inability to actually make things. I realize we make planes and cars and some other stuff. But I've seen the air conditioner manufacturing facilities in China, and how many people it employs. Carrier looks like an ant in comparison. China not only carries a lot of our debt, but we are heavily reliant on them for everything we use day to day. I do think if that is the Trump legacy its not the worst one for him to focus on.

Hopefully if I am right that Elon was the example guy for "be more like him please", well see a tweet or something about it to help with the stock.

List of companies by 2015 revenue at Trump meeting (in billions):

Apple: 216
Microsoft: 94
IBM: 82
Google: 75
Cisco: 49
Intel: 55
Oracle: 38
Facebook: 18
Tesla: 4

This clearly show how highly Trump regards Elon Musk and Tesla. (At the recommendation of Peter Thiel I'm sure but still)
TSLA 7bn 2016, 10bn+ in 2017 and ??20bn in 2018? Not even Facebook is growing that fast.
I bet Trump would like the 4000 satellite global network too.

Reactions: BornToFly
Stop right there. Each of us is responsible for our own actions, period. End of story. Believing sugar without doing further research or critical thinking is on the individual. If we all did that, the media in turn would pull up their socks and stop fluffing or out right lying because the media is made up of INDIVIDUALS who often like to pass on the responsibility to others.

Stop blaming other people and start being responsible for your own actions. (Not directed specifically at the poster unless the shoe fits.)

some truth to what you say Krugerrand, but, the bulk of the media is full of sugar, and they have one fine alien dreadnaught of a sugar distribution channel/expeller. try having a conversation with anyone, and all to often, the whole dialogue is already rotted from the sugar.

jokes aside, 90% of our media is owned by 6 massive multinationals. their news departments have become infomercials for their corporate agendas. that's meant as informational, not woe is me, we're all victims... we can do something about all of this, but that wont happen if we don't identify what is going on.

fwiw, having watched that alien dreadnaught sugar distributor at work pouring sugar all over perception of Tesla and Musk the past four plus years, and all over our would be national dialog the past year and a half, I am planning to use much of my excess income from Tesla to try to do something about this.

I'm sure the Trump meeting will overshadow this but another "competitor" unveiled their car

Lucid unveils its electric sedan called ‘Air’: 400 miles of range, 1000 hp, ‘autonomous-ready’ and ‘more than $100,000’

I'm not concerned.

I'd describe this a 'sneaky ugly'. it looks fine at first but then you start wondering why the windows feel stretched and the rear sticks out so far. I think the odds of any company following in Tesla's footsteps is very low. Tesla had no competition. For Lucid to succeed they have to sell a lot of cars very quickly, but Tesla is already dominant in their market. Are they going to offer a RVG?

• Funny
Reactions: MikeC
Wrong. There's lots of precedent. In the run-up to World War II, FDR and George Marshall deliberately "retired" nearly *every* high-level officer. And there's a good reason for this. Anyone who was around during World War I had a strong tendency to be "fighting the last war". He needed officers with new thinking.

This was also the practice of Lincoln; although the US didn't really have a standing army at the time, he sacked generals *constantly* until he found ones who were *competent* for the war which they were actually fighting.

I'm absolutely in favor of sacking careerist military officers. The only mistake: we should have sacked hundreds, nay, thousands more. These are the guys who can't win a war. New thinking is required, and they don't have it. The army should not, in fact, be a career, at least not for high-level officers -- they should have day jobs during peacetime, like they all did through the whole 19th and early 20th century. Every war is wildly different from the last one and the people who have lots of experience in the last war are most likely completely incompetent to strategize for the current war.

The US had a unique method of operation, where we set up a new military for each war, pretty much, until the Cold War. And the US won every war it got into. The Cold War changed all that; it gave us a military-industrial complex, an establishment; and since then, we tied in Korea and lost in nearly every subsequent war. The Cold War has been over since the 1990s; it's time to clean out the military so that a fresh, lean, new military can approach the current military problems of the world through *fresh eyes*.

Sorry to go off topic, but I couldn't let your false statement go unchallenged. We used to purge the military of highly decorated deadwood *all the time* in this country.
Bullish bearish or vegetarian?

love him or hate him, he got an amazing group of people congregating,
something good can always happen.

Wonder how Elon introduced himself.

Trump walks Elon out of the main meeting for their private chat...

Trump: "Elon, you've really built an amazing company... I mean amazing, the best companies. truly, it's so amazing, it's so big the things, you've accomplished... it's so amazing, it, truly, it sometimes reminds me of my own accomplishments."

Elon: "You've used a lot of gold in decorating these rooms."

Status
Not open for further replies.