Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1

To my opinion this thread is becoming less and less of a "short-term price movements / investors" thread. For example a discussion about how Tesla should arrange the order of reservations and long-term clean energy developments are very interesting, but do not belong in THIS thread as they do not influence TSLA short term. (maybe long term, but there are (investor-section) threads for that.

For me this thread used to be one of my favorite threads on the forum, a great time saving TSLA World-wide news aggregator, with people updating us all on the latest analyst updates, the latest Pricetarget info from various trader screens, links to Tesla investor-related news in the world-wide media, production progress in the factory as well as interesting personal views & analysis relevant to the influence on the short term TSLA Share Price around these news items.

It has now become very hard to find such information on this thread, as it is buried in long page long discussions that are not short-term, sometimes not even investor related. I am not saying these post are not interesting discussions, au contraire, but I see more-and-more discussions here that belong in other threads. It makes this thread almost a slow-chat channel where any subject goes.

I vote for making this a short-term TSLA price & investor news thread again.

I miss AudubonB....

Reactions: Gerardf
Yep. I'm certain that Elon is a control freak about communications. I'm sure that maked Reyes's communication job super difficult and frustrating. MX delivery communication and a million other news events are super difficult especially if Elon isn't on the same page as others in the mgmt team.
This was his second tour with the company. If he didn't realize what it was like before coming back than he is stupid and better gone

Shocking IEA Data Points to Flat CO2 Emissions in 2015 | OilPrice.com
Nick1603A.png

Global energy related CO2 emissions have leveled out at 32.1 Gt/year. Let's see if we can push this down below 32 Gt this year.

Bonus points to first person who can estimate how many EVs running on emission free electricity are needed to displace 1 Gt of CO2 emmisions.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Bonus points to first person who can estimate how many EVs running on emission free electricity are needed to displace 1 Gt of CO2 emmisions.

Very quick Fermi approach gets me to 5e8 on the assumption of 10000km per car and average 200g CO2/km. Doesn't take into account emissions in production and transport of petrol.
Obviously way out, which is disappointing because I like Fermi questions.

btw, I still get the bonus points no matter how wildly off my number is. I was still the first to estimate! ;)

Last edited:
I
+1

To my opinion this thread is becoming less and less of a "short-term price movements / investors" thread. For example a discussion about how Tesla should arrange the order of reservations and long-term clean energy developments are very interesting, but do not belong in THIS thread as they do not influence TSLA short term. (maybe long term, but there are (investor-section) threads for that.

For me this thread used to be one of my favorite threads on the forum, a great time saving TSLA World-wide news aggregator, with people updating us all on the latest analyst updates, the latest Pricetarget info from various trader screens, links to Tesla investor-related news in the world-wide media, production progress in the factory as well as interesting personal views & analysis relevant to the influence on the short term TSLA Share Price around these news items.

It has now become very hard to find such information on this thread, as it is buried in long page long discussions that are not short-term, sometimes not even investor related. I am not saying these post are not interesting discussions, au contraire, but I see more-and-more discussions here that belong in other threads. It makes this thread almost a slow-chat channel where any subject goes.

I agree with this

Reactions: Gerardf
Your example does not support your argument. Tesla is not organizing an auction, where "those who are willing to pay more" have priority.

Isn't that exactly what's happening now with the X rollout - those who are willing to pay more (P90D, 90D) have priority (over 70D).
Seems very likely Model 3 will be the same and catering to those who will maximize the high end slots is not unreasonable.

Reactions: Tenable
I have to respectfully disagree on your recommendation. This thread is always about whatever is currently pressing the buttons of active Tesla investors. We might not always be happy or interested in where the discussion goes. I'm certainly never happy when the discussion is dominated about bearish concerns, but sometimes I need to step back and appreciate that this is in fact useful information about what is on the minds of people actively trading shares of Tesla. So I would invite us to think a little more reflectively. Ask yourself: Why do some people feel passionately enough about a particular issue to keep debating it here? What does this stir up for me? Why am I engaged or not emotionally engaged in this? How are my unstated assumptions different from the assumptions others seem to be making? Etc. The fact that you wish certain people would take their thoughts somewhere else likely means that there are ideas that you are wishing to suppress. So get to the root of that. You could be filtering out something that is important, something which you are presently not able to put a positive value on, but may prove out to be quite important.

Regarding yesterday's debate about granting priority to Tesla owners, I feel that discussion was helpful fir all participants. We exposed alot of issues and assumptions that are not always communicated. I found my own thoughts on the topic evolving and taking a clearer form as the discussion proceeded. So I felt it was a worthwhile discussion which is why I continued to press my critique in the face of substantial resistance. We now recognize that many investors have short term anxieties about the Model 3 roll out and this is at the heart of why giving priority to experienced Tesla owners matters to them. Complementing this I was able to articulate the importance of long-term customer base formation and connected that with incremental market cap. Both viewpoints are critical to making informed investments in Tesla and being able to emotional adjust to issues as they emerge. So in all I felt it was very healthy and productive debate.

These are the sort of useful discussions that happen here in this thread, and I am grateful to these conversation partners.

+1

Isn't that exactly what's happening now with the X rollout - those who are willing to pay more (P90D, 90D) have priority (over 70D).
Seems very likely Model 3 will be the same and catering to those who will maximize the high end slots is not unreasonable.
The argument of the post I replied to was that those who are willing to pay more for the same thing should get priority ("if someone pays 40% more for your house..."). You are talking about prioritizing production for higher trim levels, but the general discussion had nothing to do with that. It was about giving preference to existing Tesla owners over new buyers when they reserve the same model.

I don't have an opinion either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenable
...in the short-term price movements thread.... :p

Personally I do like a quick post based moderation a lot.

I did like the times a lot when moderators took the time and effort to dig through every post during a day in the 'short term tsla price movements' thread and cut out all the not so short term related posts to put them in separate new threads for each new topic.
This kind of moderation helps people focus on the short term topics on the one hand while others interested in additional topics are able to discuss their topics in a separate threads at full length. Thus everybody should be happy;)
I have the impression that this kind of moderation increases the value of the 'short term tsla price movements' by an order of magnitude.

And for sure I do understand that this kind of moderation is a lot of work for the moderators.

In any case a big thank you to the moderators for their great job, thank you!

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree on your recommendation. This thread is always about whatever is currently pressing the buttons of active Tesla investors. We might not always be happy or interested in where the discussion goes. I'm certainly never happy when the discussion is dominated about bearish concerns, but sometimes I need to step back and appreciate that this is in fact useful information about what is on the minds of people actively trading shares of Tesla. So I would invite us to think a little more reflectively. Ask yourself: Why do some people feel passionately enough about a particular issue to keep debating it here? What does this stir up for me? Why am I engaged or not emotionally engaged in this? How are my unstated assumptions different from the assumptions others seem to be making? Etc. The fact that you wish certain people would take their thoughts somewhere else likely means that there are ideas that you are wishing to suppress. So get to the root of that. You could be filtering out something that is important, something which you are presently not able to put a positive value on, but may prove out to be quite important.
It's not whether it's important or not, it's do I have time to read it right now. For those people who are busy at day jobs they don't have time to always read big long discussions of things that are important right now but may not determine stock movement today. I like to read the short term thread during the week so I can manage my account and short term trades as effective as possible and catch up on the long term thread on the weekend when I have more time. When there are too many posts in the short term thread with mega posts by Julian and others I don't have time to read any of it until the weekend and I feel like I'm blind on short term tesla movements except for the trash I can read on stocktwits real quick.

[...] These are the sort of useful discussions that happen here in this thread, and I am grateful to these conversation partners.
I do think that the disussion of topics that are only slightly related to TSLA short term price movements is interesting and important as well. I just think that these kind of discussions would be more valued in their own and separate thread, e.g. it makes it easier to find these discussions at a later point in time. Unfortunately these discussions tend to get burried and lost in the short term thread just too quickly.

And btw jhm, you know that I highly apprechiate your ideas and input here, thank's for your valuable input!

Reactions: jhm
< snap>
The fact that you wish certain people would take their thoughts somewhere else likely means that there are ideas that you are wishing to suppress. So get to the root of that.

I think you either did not read my post well, or I have not explained myself well in my post.

- my post has not in any way aimed to suppress any opinion. Why would I want that ?
- my post has not in any way targeted specific individuals.

Actually I much value your posts, and also see value discussing the Model-3 reservation method. I just do not think this is the correct thread for some of posts I recently see here.

My post is about suggesting to keep this a "Short-Term TSLA Price Movements" news, analysis and opinion thread.
Actually, even this discussion should be held in another thread.

I guess we simply have a different view on what information we expect to see posted in this thread.

Isn't this SP movement during the last days/weeks atonishing?
Anybody else amazed by that incredible v-shape slide and recovery since beginning of this year?
Almost no consolidation at the bottom but a strong bounce that continues even today!
Needless to say that personally I am very happy about this quick recovery:)

Hope that everybody else enjoys this quick SP recovery!

Are we in a buy the dip mode till Model 3 reveal or maybe even beyond that?

Reactions: xhawk101
Oh, stop. It's a few hundred people that will be at the event 'cutting in line'. *yawn*

And on top of that, they could act like the cable and internet providers and give big discounts to new customers and screw long term customers with higher prices.

So which makes more sense--reward loyal repeat customers with a few bennies or give all the goodies to the newbies who have never purchased anything?

Reactions: JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.