Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA down a percent in Europe.
Yes, and pre-market, although low volume so far, down 2,2%.
Futures red, oil red.
In the last few sessions, what was happening pre-market was not representative of what happened during regular trading hours, to the contrary.
Max-pain, however has been consistently going down: 185 for this week and 160 for the weeks of ER.
Next two weeks will be very interesting...we are so close to the 52 week low. Hope we stay above that now...

Musk also bought a lot of Solar City stock back in August at $45.

Elon Musk just bought up $5 million of SolarCity stock - Fortune

It's trading at $36 now.

My gut feel on this (as I alluded to at $200 ish) is that there was a 25% chance of Elon buying shares on the dip. The 75% against was down to the fact that Elon's last purchase was at $242 as an endorsement of a public funding round and the CEO buying public shares to level down is not the right message. (Elon's SCTY purchase on the dip was still by far the highest price he ever bought SCTY at). Secondly buying public shares for no other reason than to inject confidence is too blatant to be effective - more than likely just be greeted with headlines: billionaire CEO seeks to prop up flagging stock. Exercising options on the other hand, something that Elon literally has the option to do, squares that circle. If I had actually contemplated the options-exercise move at all, then that 25% probability would have jumped to 90%+

It is clearly in Musk's interest to take advantage of a 52-week low for tax efficiency purposes, it's fully defensible decision for that reason alone. Of course it is perfectly fair to speculate that Elon and his advisers have sought a defensible excuse to exercise $100 million worth of options because there is very good reason to be confident that this was a winning move. It would have been equally defensible to wait for a lower 52 week low if that were more likely.

Last edited:
When I heard Elon say that, I interpreted it as "the most difficult car to design and make production-ready" - he was talking about the headaches they were experiencing at the time. I don't believe he literally meant it would be "the most difficult car to build in mass quantities". I'm certain that once they iron out the supplier and production challenges (and as noted above, Tesla is very good at doing that), the MX will be no more difficult to build than the MS.[/QUOTE

complexity may lead to all sorts of problems, both in manufacturing and thereafter in usage.
Lets hope otherwise, though hope is not an investment strategy .

Ridiculous lol. Let me get this straight, so Elon buys more shares, more Mode X's being on the road, and the first power wall actually installed... And pre market is down? I know it's low volume, but it's getting ridiculous
I'm trying to figure out when in the last month the price action in TSLA made sense. Today we are down $6 premarket. Is this premarket drop directly related to Elon's comments about the 3?

When I got my model s in March 2013, had to sign agreement not to reverse engineer. I reported to tesla seeing a signature model s in Delaware (at the time the only supercharger on east coast). It was taken off flat bed and had computers attached in the cab. The tech with the car said it was owned by BMW and taken apart and put back together. He claimed tesla knew and even replaced some part that was damaged in the process. They towed it because they came from north or South Carolina and wanted the battery completely depleted for their testing. They were testing the supercharger rates. I would not expect different treatment with the model X.

Ridiculous lol. Let me get this straight, so Elon buys more shares, more Mode X's being on the road, and the first power wall actually installed... And pre market is down? I know it's low volume, but it's getting ridiculous

This is exactly what I am thinking too. SP decoupled from news and facts. Dropping like a stone since beginning of this year as if the entire fleet was on fire!

Is this premarket drop directly related to Elon's comments about the 3?

Which remark exactly ? Do you mean that 'only' one version will be unveiled, or to you refer to showing pictures of the Model-3 ?

As I already wrote in the EU thread.. :

Elon did not say we will only see pictures.

Question in the video (@ 12.25) was : "When will we see pictures of the Model 3 ?" ... and the answer was "The first pictures of Model 3.. That will be end of March".

Elon then added: "we are not going to show everything of model 3 until we are much closer to production".

Next to that, the Q3-ER stated:

As of September 30, 2015, the following three performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:
-
Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype
- Aggregate vehicle production of 100,000 vehicles; and
- Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype

They must have been pretty close to these milestones late September. (the 100k aggregate production was actually reached in December).

I do expect we will see at least an Alpha prototype at the unveil.

Last edited:
Which remark exactly ? Do you mean that 'only' one version will be unveiled, or to you refer to showing pictures of the Model-3 ?

As I already wrote in the EU thread.. :

Elon did not say we will only see pictures.

Question in the video (@ 12.25) was : "When will we see pictures of the Model 3 ?" ... and the answer was "The first pictures of Model 3.. That will be end of March".

Elon then added: "we are not going to show everything of model 3 until we are much closer to production".

This part-the market doesn't want to hear about any 3 delays at this point. People want to see the entire car. Any doubts about not being able to see the entire car will cast doubts on the ability of Tesla to produce the car on time.

So forgive my ignorance but I thought Elon just exercised options at $6 which is not the same as buying at market prices. Or did he also buy shares at current price? TIA

So forgive my ignorance but I thought Elon just exercised options at $6 which is not the same as buying at market prices. Or did he also buy shares at current price? TIA

The important part is that he actually had to pay US$ 50M tax on converting these options, and that he decided not to sell a single share to cover that tax. So he effectively put 50M more in. As he received no salary from Tesla, he probably had to loan that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.