Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While that is possible, I personally don't give much credit to this kind of stuff. TSLA is not a micro cap stock and can be manipulated easily. The shareholder base is quite diverse and I doubt any one or two institution can really manipulate it. Ever since it broke 180, TA wise there's no bottom. So it's really not strange to see it free fall. Especially with all those invested early still sitting on huge gains, them being retail or institution. At this price, it's really a check on whether you believe in their future or not.

TSLA is mirroring NASDAQ movement with a multiplier effect. Will be curious to see if TSLA can move on its own on the way up.

Also - does anyone have any theories about the last couple day's moves being manipulated by big shorts trying to get out before ER? i.e. the lemon people and Chanos (are they the same?).

Since when has Tesla not been about engineering and solving problems?! How much more does Tesla have to prove before people get it? Such short memories some people have. I'll channel my inner Alsop and say that there are number of people here who should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe tomorrow a few of you might like to finish your morning coffee before getting all emotional about Premarket?

Why should people be ashamed when the price has dropped from well north of $200 to the $140s, then the premarket is down and they indicate trepidation?

It is great to see green in my TSLA portion of my holdings but it is tough to scold people when many have been saying 'get on the TSLA train' as it is ready to take off at $220, $200, $180...etc.

This is still a 'momo' stock. Personally I never saw it going below $180 short of something of a catastrophe.

Crystal ball making any ER predictions?

If you followed the progress of my conservative straddle you know I've liquidated the put part.
Just conservative logical maneuvering, no wild crystal ball.

I am actually well rested now.
Oh and guess what is interesting I found out recently One of the parts supplier for Tesla will be surpassing Tesla in market cap soon.

Since when has Tesla not been about engineering and solving problems?! How much more does Tesla have to prove before people get it? Such short memories some people have. I'll channel my inner Alsop and say that there are number of people here who should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe tomorrow a few of you might like to finish your morning coffee before getting all emotional about Premarket?

You're joking, right? And speaking of memories, you should then remember that Tesla has had problems with the FWD for more than 4 years, and it's been the cause of delays and money sinks. Today was a big day as they seemd to have solved a 4 year old problem, or at least part of it. I know Tesla is all about engineering but evidently they also run into massive problems that need solving, and they always do, that's why I'm an investor. Now, let's be happy on a day like this.

You're joking, right? And speaking of memories, you should then remember that Tesla has had problems with the FWD for more than 4 years, and it's been the cause of delays and money sinks. Today was a big day as they seemd to have solved a 4 year old problem, or at least part of it. I know Tesla is all about engineering but evidently they also run into massive problems that need solving, and they always do, that's why I'm an investor. Now, let's be happy on a day like this.

Where is the news of the four year problem they have solved?

http://www.infomine.com/ChartsAndDa....USD.lb|110572.USD.lb&df=20150201&dt=20160209
Here's a little chart showing the decline in significant metals for Tesla: aluminum, copper, cobalt and nickel. All have fallen 20% to 40% over this last 12 months. Particularly as the Gigafactory squeezes out manufacturing inefficiencies, the metal costs become the leading driver of battery cost. So it is very much to Tesla's advantage that commodity prices continue to fall in the face of advancing technology. This is also true for all renewable energy.

Last edited:
I think 10% is overly generous as a comparative metric. I can't find a reference point where TSLA hasn't gotten beaten up much more heavily than tech or automakers, though maybe not 30% more. It's possible I'm missing things but this year:

GOOG: -13.5%
AAPL: -12.74%
GM: -17.16%
TM: -12.0%

TSLA: -37.92%

It all depends on the reference, but to me it's clear that TSLA is getting hammered relative to the market.

GOOGL and AAPL are the two largest cap companies in the world. GM and TM aren't tech, the hardest hit right now are high multiple growth stocks. Yes Tesla is an auto stock, but trades like and has the multiples of a growth stock(because it is one).

Stocks like NFLX, PCLN, AMZN, BIDU, the biotech sector(IBB) are better comparisons. FB is really the only one in this group that is holding up. Yes TSLA is down more relative to the market. Mostly that is from being a high beta stock, and partly it is from all the downgrades. But mostly it is tracking other growth stocks.

http://www.infomine.com/ChartsAndDa....USD.lb|110572.USD.lb&df=20150201&dt=20160209
Here's a little chart showing the decline in significant metals for Tesla: aluminum, copper, cobalt and nickel. All have fallen 20% to 40% over this last 12 months. Particularly as the Gigafactory squeezes out manufacturing inefficiencies, the metal costs become the leading driver of battery cost. So it is bery much to Tesla's advantage that commodity prices continue to fall in the face of advancing technology. This is also true for all renewable energy.

This is something that everyone is potentially overlooking. Low commodity prices are going to enable Tesla to hit that $35k sweet spot quicker than they would've otherwise been able to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.