Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We get it, you're having a coronary about it (and exhibiting some obsessive compulsive, stalkerish type of traits = every supercharger, every day, eh?). Let's revisit the topic on Dec 31, 2016, instead of weekly, k? Then we'll have the facts about whether or not Tesla has abandoned expansion of the SuperCharger Network.

I don't think they've abandoned it - I think this pause is is necessitated by a lack of money due to WAY over-spending on the X. That's what really gets me. Sometimes we get so caught up in the glamour, that we don't realize what it really important. The supercharger network, IMHO, is the TRUE differentiation between Tesla and any other manufacturer of EVs. Since I find that SO important, I want to see the network grow incredibly rapidly. I mean, like 500-1000 per year. That is why I watch them SO closely. Some people look for heads and shoulders in charts, I look at the infrastructure growth.

But, I only brought up the supercharger pause because I am shocked that rarely does anyone mention things about the actual company in this thread. No discussion of the infrastructure build-out, no discussion about the ramp up issues with the X, no discussion about the number of X's delivered so far. It's like people want to ignore anything potentially negative because they can't handle it, but then they're shocked when the stock price goes down. You have to understand and know all of it if you want to have a good idea about where the stock is headed - even in the short term.

Superchargers are financially incredibly cheap.

FWD are not the reason for superchargers not being rolled out now. If this was the case, then you would have seen supercharger rollout stop before the Model X's release, not after when they're effectively finished with major tooling/capex expenditures for the Model X.

It's winter. The political climate is becoming especially more extreme as Tesla's popularity skyrockets, which I'm sure is contributing heavily to supercharger pauses (I really don't see why else many red states are entirely void of superchargers, while surrounded on all sides by sites). Permitting is the hard part, not the money.

On top of that, there's a very good chance that supercharger funds are earmarked by vehicle produced, because it originally was an option. Just like how warranty costs are built into every vehicle, preventing warranty costs from bankrupting Tesla there's also likely an earmark for supercharger electricity and expansion funding.

Tesla is also not a US-only country. Just because they stop in the US doesn't mean they're stopping worldwide. The US supercharger network is very mature compared to many others like China, Japan, and Australia--these countries need far more rollout attention than the US does.

There's basically zero evidence of Model X expenses affecting the supercharger rollout. You hate the Model X, and despise the doors that reviewers and owners time and time and time again enthusiastically praise--that's fine, just don't use that as a basis for what the company should and should not be doing.

I don't think they've abandoned it - I think this pause is is necessitated by a lack of money due to WAY over-spending on the X. That's what really gets me. Sometimes we get so caught up in the glamour, that we don't realize what it really important. The supercharger network, IMHO, is the TRUE differentiation between Tesla and any other manufacturer of EVs. Since I find that SO important, I want to see the network grow incredibly rapidly. I mean, like 500-1000 per year. That is why I watch them SO closely. Some people look for heads and shoulders in charts, I look at the infrastructure growth.

But, I only brought up the supercharger pause because I am shocked that rarely does anyone mention things about the actual company in this thread. No discussion of the infrastructure build-out, no discussion about the ramp up issues with the X, no discussion about the number of X's delivered so far. It's like people want to ignore anything potentially negative because they can't handle it, but then they're shocked when the stock price goes down. You have to understand and know all of it if you want to have a good idea about where the stock is headed - even in the short term.

You are making so many assumptions that have already been pointed out, so I will ignore those even though I don't agree with your conclusion nor your level of certainty. I just want to again reiterate the value of the falcon wing doors to Tesla's brand. These doors will help sell every vehicle that Tesla ever produces from the point that they were introduced to the last car that Tesla ever sells.

Compare the moats created by the two items you are trying to assess the value of:

Brand >>>>> Charging Stations

I would put more arrows in there, but I would hope that illustrates the point. Companies spend BILLIONS of dollars on building their brands. Anyone can install a charging network as good as Tesla's (I understand that no one has) with a little bit of time and money. Much less than the amount of time and money that it takes to build a brand. Not anyone can mass produce a car with falcon wing doors. It is clearly very, very difficult.

Again, I don't agree with you that Supercharger slowdown is due to Model X spend. I just think it is important to take a longer-term, holistic view when assessing the priorities of the company. And last time I responded similarly, I did not receive a reply from you, despite your complaints of not being heard.

Superchargers are financially incredibly cheap.

FWD are not the reason for superchargers not being rolled out now. If this was the case, then you would have seen supercharger rollout stop before the Model X's release, not after when they're effectively finished with major tooling/capex expenditures for the Model X.

It's winter. The political climate is becoming especially more extreme as Tesla's popularity skyrockets, which I'm sure is contributing heavily to supercharger pauses (I really don't see why else many red states are entirely void of superchargers, while surrounded on all sides by sites). Permitting is the hard part, not the money.

On top of that, there's a very good chance that supercharger funds are earmarked by vehicle produced, because it originally was an option. Just like how warranty costs are built into every vehicle, preventing warranty costs from bankrupting Tesla there's also likely an earmark for supercharger electricity and expansion funding.

Tesla is also not a US-only country. Just because they stop in the US doesn't mean they're stopping worldwide. The US supercharger network is very mature compared to many others like China, Japan, and Australia--these countries need far more rollout attention than the US does.

There's basically zero evidence of Model X expenses affecting the supercharger rollout. You hate the Model X, and despise the doors that reviewers and owners time and time and time again enthusiastically praise--that's fine, just don't use that as a basis for what the company should and should not be doing.

i don't know if Supercharger build rates are slowing globally or not. What I DO know (via CFO) is tesla is focused on raining in expenses and CapEx. Tesla will likely be targeting to be cash flow positive sooner rather than later.

I'm not seeing the high rates to borrow TSLA yet. Fidelity's paying me 3% to loan out my TSLA, but SCTY's up to an incredible 24.5%! Would love to see TSLA in the 20s - I have a lot more $$$ there than SCTY.

I am not sure I understand it correctly, but is it that the Brokerage house pockets the interests charged by broker to loan out the shares for others to short? I remember a long time ago I called my brokerage house and they specifically said so.

How does Fidelity pay you in the form of 3%? Is it annual rate?

Thanks for clarify.

After months of bear infoemails, here is a counter and a window to the future... Merge uber with AP and reliable and cheaper M3, wala, no need to ever own a car. AP will be improved in 2 to 3 years, at the time of M3 release and full production.

Probably the reason for in store reservations prior to online, is to prevent a large company(ies) reserving fleet loads of M3...

PS when you open a door, you can get more than rain... snow, cold, wind, etc...

I am not sure I understand it correctly, but is it that the Brokerage house pockets the interests charged by broker to loan out the shares for others to short? I remember a long time ago I called my brokerage house and they specifically said so.

How does Fidelity pay you in the form of 3%? Is it annual rate?

Thanks for clarify.

I'm sure they take a cut since they are takingnrisk on as well. But you the shareholder should absolutely get a nonzero dollar amount for giving up your shares for the time being. Because while they are locked by the short, you can't sell them. So if **** really did hit the fan then you couldn't get your shares back... Right?

@buddyroe Yes, the growth rate has really slowed, but no, we don't know the exact reason. They may be focusing on increasing the number of stalls at each site, which won't be reflected in the superchare.info numbers. Maybe there are supply constraints or a new technology like liquid-cooled cables coming out.

I will also mention that Redondo Beach and Burbank weren't discovered until almost complete, and that's in SoCal.

One data point: Here on the east coast the Newark, DE. SC is being upgraded..now... from the original 4 stalls to 12 new stalls. Construction started about 10-14 days ago and should finish up in about 10-14 days.

I'm sure they take a cut since they are takingnrisk on as well. But you the shareholder should absolutely get a nonzero dollar amount for giving up your shares for the time being. Because while they are locked by the short, you can't sell them. So if **** really did hit the fan then you couldn't get your shares back... Right?

Ive never loaned out shares, however, I don't see how a brokerage is taking on risk if I loan out shares that I own. If shares are owned on margin that is obviously different but I don't know that you can loan shares that are on margin? I should look into it, I'll gladly loan out shares to the shorties, may hurt company/share price short term but will pay off in the end when they get burned.

One data point: Here on the east coast the Newark, DE. SC is being upgraded..now... from the original 4 stalls to 12 new stalls. Construction started about 10-14 days ago and should finish up in about 10-14 days.

Book value of SC network grew over $300M in 2015 (from 10K fillings).

That's over $75M per quarter, after amortization. Taking out $75M quarterly cost could make a difference for cash flow.
Not everyone will like that decision, but I for one trust that Tesla's mgmt has more info to judge this type of decision. And this is a decision, freely made. As opposed to f... up with X model ramp, which drives me mad too (though I don't doubt they work hard to fix it)...

Unrelated, anyone knows how many reputation points I need to get my second green button? I'm working hard here people ;)

Last edited:
Agreed: They can ramp up charging stations next quarter as X deliveries increase. If X=6000 and S=14000, they can spend an extra 75mm on SC's. Proving they can control cash flow, increase sales and reduce spending can drive the stock price for TSLA up with the Model 3 reveal. March 31st through April 3rd could be a very good or very bad few days for TSLA.
If deliveries are over 15,000, with X on track for 5000+ in Q2 and S=>12,000 a positive buzz from Model 3 and maybe some lines for reservations on the 31st, Citron is going to be Left out in the cold.

Book value of SC network grew over $300M in 2015 (from 10K fillings).

That's over $75M per quarter, after amortization. Taking out $75M quarterly cost could make a difference for cash flow.
Not everyone will like that decision, but I for one trust that Tesla's mgmt has more info to judge this type of decision. And this is a decision, freely made. As opposed to f... up with X model ramp, which drives me mad too (though I don't doubt they work hard to fix it)...

Unrelated, anyone knows how many reputation points I need to get my second green button? I'm working hard here people ;)

In other news, Model X 90D VINs are now being assigned in 1500 range. I would have expected a lot of people to get P. 90D seems too early to me.

So, the problem with X may be more than just the ramp-up. I'm deducing from Tesla's visit to two auto shows in quick succession (Canada and Geneva) that Tesla is also trying to stimulate demand for Model X. And then, there was the whole day paid programming like event on CNBC with Phil Lebeau.
Posters here have claimed earlier that Tesla doesn't go to auto shows, as it spends $0 on marketing & advertising, and has a long backlog. To quote Elon, "the car sells itself". Attending two shows within 1-2 months should mean something then.

Buddyroe:
I understand your concern. But it is no secret that Tesla has to save cash/cut costs to improve its cash flow. A cutback on supercharger expansion is not such a bad thing for the short term.

Last edited:
So, the problem with X may be more than just the ramp-up. I'm deducing from Tesla's visit to two auto shows in quick succession (Canada and Geneva) that Tesla is also trying to stimulate demand for Model X. And then, there was the whole day paid programming like event on CNBC with Phil Lebeau.
Posters here have claimed earlier that Tesla doesn't go to auto shows, as it spends $0 on marketing & advertising, and has a long backlog. Attending two shows within 1-2 months should mean something then.

Buddyroe:
I understand your concern. But it is no secret that Tesla has to save cash/cut costs to improve its cash flow. A cutback on supercharger expansion is not such a bad thing for the short term.

Except that elon affirmatively stated on the conference call that they were trying to suppress model x demand until production ramps up. Really, they need to stimulate demand for a car with a gigantic backlog of orders? Sometimes it's easier to just go with the simpler answer.

Gaps in reservation numbers and VIN assignments seems consistent with your logic. It seems that people are not cancelling, but holding back until production consistency is more evident.

Posters here have claimed earlier that Tesla doesn't go to auto shows, as it spends $0 on marketing & advertising, and has a long backlog. To quote Elon, "the car sells itself". Attending two shows within 1-2 months should mean something then.

Buddyroe:

Status
Not open for further replies.