Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven a Toyota Echo with an instrument cluster offset to the center. It's not actually entirely original. The big problem is keeping glare off the screen and making it possible to see the vital instruments "at a glance". The prototype has not solved this problem, though it's not really a very hard problem to solve (put a sort of shroud over the top and angle it a bit towards the driver), so I'm 100% sure Tesla will solve it before final release.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Great looking car overall but i dont like the plain nose, I rather they move the T logo down to the front a bit like the X.
I'm pretty sure the door handles, flat nose, LCD screen integration, and a lot else are going to be tweaked - we are looking at prototypes, not pre-production. The flat nose in particular - no way is it shipping with that. It's unattractive and anti-aerodynamic.

Great day everyone. I made a 5 hour round trip to reserve in person (I'm sure others drove farther) because I felt this was a historic day and I wanted to be a part of it. I reserved 2 and after seeing the car tonight, I plan to buy 2. It's been a busy day, I missed all of the presentation except the unveiling of the cars, I'll have to watch it recorded.

I was getting chills catching up on the last 10 pages of this thread, anyone else feel that way tonight?

Nothing I enjoy more then shoving it up the **s of naysayers. I hope they lose every penny they have betting and hoping against Tesla and a better future for everyone.

I think the car looks great, no complaints from me.

Let's be careful about the concept of cannibalization. I am confident that the Model S will continue to gain market share within the large luxury segment. I think that is the way to look at it. To suggest that the Model 3 is going to force the Model S to lose market share in its segment is premature at this point.

To the contrary, having multiple compelling products will only strengthen Tesla's brand presence. More buyer will give serious consideration to the Models S and X because the Model 3 drew them out to do some test driving and to consider all the options. Some customers may also upgrade from the Model 3 to and S or X as they become more convinced of the worth of a Tesla. So the presence of the Model 3 will mostly serve to enhance demand for the Model S just as the Model S has served to enhance awareness and demand for the Model 3. The large number of reservations we see tonight owes largely to the impression the Model S has already made.

I see much more opprtunity for symbiosis. Cannibalism is the wrong ecological metaphor to apply. Let's measure the performance of each car by market share within each respective segment and leave it at that.

Stoked about the 3, a little worried about value proposition on the S and X now, what's worth the extra 70k kinda question comes to my mind..
Now back to the thread topic, given all the info at hand, what are short term predictions on tomorrow's opening bell. My guess is up 7%.

No instrument cluster is really a step forward design wise. HUD is a good suggestion? I wonder what regulators have to say about no instrument cluster? Remeber the "warning lights" that have to be displayed on the S, albeit digitally.

BMW 3 Series

The base Model 3 is $1,519 cheaper than the BMW 328i at dealer average negotiated price paid of $36,519 in California zip code 90210 on True Car with essentially the same 0-60 in under 6 seconds performance specs. The BMW is getting 5.8 seconds 0-60.

This is before fuel savings and maintenance savings that essentially undercut the BMW by at least $1000 per year on average mileage. This is before any applicable incentives. Deducting the expected $3750 Federal Tax rebate still in force for a year at unlimited volume after expiry of the first 200,000 units sold in the US. Over a three year ownership period, the base Model 3 undercuts the base BMW 328i by conservatively at least $8000 before an expected improvement in residual value retention owing to the lowered running costs.

Note the base model BMW 320i at $30,672 dealer average price paid significantly underperforms the Base Model 3 in terms of driving performance.

The base BMW 328i offers additional range between fueling and faster highway refueling (offset by the price of fuel which may cost the user time to earn while at work) while lacking the ability to fuel passively and independently of user attention while parked at home or destination or during highway rest stops.

The base Model 3 offers the ability to fuel passively while parked at home, destination or highway at significantly reduced cost per mile but offers a lower range between fueling (charging). The base Model 3 is equipped with significantly more advanced electronic technology and benefits from a higher safety rating and a lower center of gravity which may contribute to better road holding, handling and assist with roll-over resistance incorporated in the aforementioned safety improvements.

All in all BMW is absolutely and completely screwed unless you are a traveling salesman and someone else you don't care about is footing the gas bill either that or you you are willing to pay $4000 each for a pair of kidney shaped air intakes or $2125 each disregarding the effect of any available incentives. Under all other circumstances, Electric Vehicles just got cheaper than gasoline vehicles and that is all she wrote.

Last edited:
Stoked about the 3, a little worried about value proposition on the S and X now, what's worth the extra 70k kinda question comes to my mind..
Now back to the thread topic, given all the info at hand, what are short term predictions on tomorrow's opening bell. My guess is up 7%.
To be fair, base model to base model you are talking about an extra 35k, not 70. But, still, double the price.
I am sure they will take care of this with options, though. Maybe by the end of 2017 that 70k will buy you a base Model S with a 80D config, dual motors, more range and more extras as default. So with the same configuration the difference may be more in the 15-20k range than 35k... just guessing.

OK serious short term question though:

For me both the design, and the initial reservation number exceeded expectations. Yes, I knew the 3 would be a hit, but 130ish reservations and counting is HUGE and should get decent coverage by "surprised analysts".

So for TSLA today, the question is no longer "pull back or climb", but rather "how high"?

Any bets?

Status
Not open for further replies.