Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK serious short term question though:

For me both the design, and the initial reservation number exceeded expectations. Yes, I knew the 3 would be a hit, but 130ish reservations and counting is HUGE and should get decent coverage by "surprised analysts".

So for TSLA today, the question is no longer "pull back or climb", but rather "how high"?

Any bets?
I still think we stay near 230 on Friday. Options need to be harvested.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
OK serious short term question though:

For me both the design, and the initial reservation number exceeded expectations. Yes, I knew the 3 would be a hit, but 130ish reservations and counting is HUGE and should get decent coverage by "surprised analysts".

So for TSLA today, the question is no longer "pull back or climb", but rather "how high"?

Any bets?

Probably a 10% jump and steadily climbing. Then another 5-10% jump next week if TSLA releases favorable quarterly production results. So hello to $300 for later this year, hoping to be sooner than later.

I love the front. The "blank" front was telegraphed from the X. Took me a bit to get used to it, but I completely expected/welcomed it on the 3. I expected an S refresh to get it too, but now I think it's plausible that the S will keep its fake air intake. (but still be refreshed). Since the 3 does in fact look a bit like an S, it would be going the wrong direction to "3-ify" the S now.

From a stock April 1 point of view:
1) Non-ugly relief. We should not underestimate how much risk there was in holding prior to the event due to this.
2) reservations on the very high end of expectations (heck, I called for 40k or less). This is a major cash infusion and it has just begun! 300-400k in April is in the bag.

I think 5-7% up tomorrow but really this will be a rolling thing if it happens in 1H 2016, based on good Q1 deliveries, tweets about reservations, model X reviews/crash tests. Then the Q1 ER... it feels set up to be good. If it isn't then, the Q2 ER in Aug will knock the doors off.

Stoked about the 3, a little worried about value proposition on the S and X now, what's worth the extra [35k - 70K+] kinda question comes to my mind..
Now back to the thread topic, given all the info at hand, what are short term predictions on tomorrow's opening bell. My guess is up 7%.

Maybe I can help with that. I have never bought a personal car in the Model 3 size and price category. My first ever car (own hard earned) was a Jaguar XJS and since then I have only gone German Porsche, Mercedes S, BMW 7.

I am thrilled that the Model 3 exists and even more thrilled to see the comments about it here but I don't want one for myself - probably will buy one for the better half anyway. I was really oddly torn by the Model X never having been interested in any kind of SUV before but I really want a full alu body shell sub 3 second 0-60 Model S with Ludicrous ideally with a MK2 autopilot suite and a Model X type lack of front grille and I have no difficulty understanding why I should pay the difference.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and ssq
About the killer look (sexy Porsche style front and all), Julian you got it absolutely right. Exactly like you predicted, unlike ICE vendors Tesla has no incentive to make their cheaper models ugly and can build a Ferrari look into a base model due to not having to design around an big ugly chunk of metal.

Julian, thank you for infusing a breath of fresh air into this forum. Keep posting my friend, as a bull I am glad to have you in my corner. Shorts are fiestybcreatures, we need every bit of your fierceness as a counter punch.

I love the front. The "blank" front was telegraphed from the X. Took me a bit to get used to it, but I completely expected/welcomed it on the 3. I expected an S refresh to get it too, but now I think it's plausible that the S will keep its fake air intake. (but still be refreshed). Since the 3 does in fact look a bit like an S, it would be going the wrong direction to "3-ify" the S now.
You know it didn't even occur to me until you wrote this, but the X nose job may have been very necessary to ease us into the Model 3 design. And when you think about it the interior is kind of the same way.... the S/X interior seemed radical at the time, but when you think about it sci-fis have always shown stuff close to M3 - but it always seemed to futuristic for real life. Now, though, after having seen the S for 3-4 years, the M3 interior is much less of a shock than a logical next step: yeah, a car in 2018 should look something like this.

Overall though, the car is a home run: the front is the lovechild of an X, a Porsche and an Aston, the back is "baby S" as someone put it, the roof looks stunning, the interior is 21st century... this will really grow on people very fast. Oh and 3 drivable prototypes? This car is not behind schedule.

This should do wonders for TSLA. (See what I did there, how i got back on topic?)

Reactions: Lessmog
gallery-1459487253-t4.jpg

Is anyone worried that Tesla just "Osborned" the model S & X sales for the next 2 years?

I think the model 3 looks absolutely fantastic! But what if it's so good that no one but those with money tambura is going to bother buying a model S or Model X now?

Isn't this s huge potential cashflow problem for Tesla? Just when they are ramping up capex spending for both the gigafactory and the model 3 production lines??

Tesla Motors Model 3 Revealed, 115,000 Orders Already
investors.com said:
Tesla rolled out Model 3 sedans to cheers from the crowd of Tesla owners. Musk said the mass-market vehicle received more than 115,000 reservations in the first 24 hours — before anyone had gotten a peek. At $1,000 each, that’s $1.15 billion in (refundable) deposits to help fund the Model 3’s production.
<snip>
“There’s no lineup for vehicles in this day and age. Audi and BMW and Mercedes have to be awestruck — they just have to be,” Stifel auto analyst James Albertine told IBD in an afternoon phone interview. His team saw lines for Model 3 reservations stretching to the hundreds at some Tesla stores around Washington, D.C., and New York. He estimated about 30 to 40 reservations an hour in the spot checks.

Reactions: Lessmog
FUD forecast

Here are some meme I think bears will try to hammer away at.

1. Model 3 will cannibalize Model S and Model X once they run out of X reservations.
  2. Production of Model 3 will be late, second half of 2018 at the earliest.
  3. Margins on the Model 3 will be razor thin at best.
  4. Tesla does not know what it takes to produce cars in volume.
  5. Tesla is expanding too rapidly into to many marginal countries like India, Brazil, and South Africa.
  6. Supercharge access for the Model 3 is a cross-subsidization from Model S and X owners, not enough margin here to cover this cost.
  7. Tesla will have to grow up and do things more like the way major automakers do.
  8. Tesla will need massive capital raises to fund this ambition. Expect dilution.

So there you have it, the new FUD talking points. I don't believe any of thrm, but it's good to see what can be attacked. Shorts will not leave without a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.