Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The distinction is between the average daily consumption and peak daily consumption. It is not sufficient to size the BES based on average daily energy consumption because it must cover the highest daily consumption possible. The difference between the average and peak could be 1:3 easily. For example looking at energy consumption for my house the daily average for the last year was 112.2kWh, while the highest daily consumption for 2015 was on Feb 15 - at 332kWh. So the ratio of peak to average was 332 / 112.2 = 2.96, which is very close to 3.27 factor that was apparently used by Elon. In case of my house, the difference between 3.27 and 2.96 is 1.11 which, if considered as a design margin is kind of low as far as my judgment is concerned...

View attachment 172925

View attachment 172926

Yes, I get that. My point is that you need to count all storage and generation capacity. Generation capacity alone needs to be sized big enough to hit the peaks. Batteries are not really generation supply. You seem to be assuming that Powerpacks alone must be capable of supplying peak consumption with no generation. When you have enough wind, solar, bioenergy/hydro to reliably supply your peak days, then you only need enough batteries to smooth things out and optimize your economics. I don't see how you can size battery capacity needs without consideration of how much and what kind of generation mix is available.

Also the capacity of your distribution network matters quite a lot too. There have been studies showing that in the US a 100% renewable grid is possible WITHOUT storage is possible. Not surprisingly such a system requires enormous transmission capabilities to do things like send Midwestern wind power to Florida. So I very much expect that localized storage will be much more economical than massive transmission. But the point here is that there is a tradeoff to be made between transmission and storage. The more capable the grids of the world are, the less storage is needed even if all power generation is renewable.

So in abstraction, we cannot know that 80 hours of storage will be the most economical level of battery capacity. It very much depends on the generation mix and network capabilities. Lets say we postpone this discussion until Powerpacks have supplied 1 hour of storage capacity globally. That will be enough to radically reshape the economics, and we'll be in a much better position to say if 20 hours, 80 hours or even 360 hours of storage will optimize the electricity markets. Just getting to Powerpacks supplying 1 hour is about 5 TWh of storage. That alone would take about ten Gigafactories to maintain.

Not seeing anything positive about this holding 247.1. So, on to retracements: 242.2, 235.8, & 231.x. Really there is no bottom support until those numbers since this broke down from 247.1 support. So, if you are holding puts -- this should be fun. If not, watch for falling knives.

Thanks for the numbers. Seems there is a small attempt to hold around 245, but I wouldn't be surprised if it falls further as the last few days, with no news, every attempt to rise significantly was instantly annihilated. And volume was getting lower and lower. Except today when volume might be significant, but not for a good reason...

Yes, I get that. My point is that you need to count all storage and generation capacity. Generation capacity alone needs to be sized big enough to hit the peaks. Batteries are not really generation supply. You seem to be assuming that Powerpacks alone must be capable of supplying peak consumption with no generation. When you have enough wind, solar, bioenergy/hydro to reliably supply your peak days, then you only need enough batteries to smooth things out and optimize your economics. I don't see how you can size battery capacity needs without consideration of how much and what kind of generation mix is available.

Also the capacity of your distribution network matters quite a lot too. There have been studies showing that in the US a 100% renewable grid is possible WITHOUT storage is possible. Not surprisingly such a system requires enormous transmission capabilities to do things like send Midwestern wind power to Florida. So I very much expect that localized storage will be much more economical than massive transmission. But the point here is that there is a tradeoff to be made between transmission and storage. The more capable the grids of the world are, the less storage is needed even if all power generation is renewable.

So in abstraction, we cannot know that 80 hours of storage will be the most economical level of battery capacity. It very much depends on the generation mix and network capabilities. Lets say we postpone this discussion until Powerpacks have supplied 1 hour of storage capacity globally. That will be enough to radically reshape the economics, and we'll be in a much better position to say if 20 hours, 80 hours or even 360 hours of storage will optimize the electricity markets. Just getting to Powerpacks supplying 1 hour is about 5 TWh of storage. That alone would take about ten Gigafactories to maintain.
Tesla down 3% for the day and good discussion on Short-Term Trading about buying, holding, selling....then this from you in a pedantic war of words with Vring....like the pedantic back and forth with Julian....can you please stop squatting in this thread and move the academic discussions elsewhere.

• Funny
Reactions: tanner
Prepare for it, ladies and gents, looks like we're reversing :D
I think there are a good deal of people that were waiting for the 245 range to buy, if it can build any consolidation at that point for more than 30 mins, it could provide a new support level. We really need this to close above 251ish, and preferably 257 by EOW or I feel the trend is headed to a bear phase.

1min.png

We need to break this channel in green.

From day-trade point of view, 5-min and 30-min charts say buy @245. If I look at the daily chart, the risk is still too high for swing trading. For long-term investment, I am not afraid to add at the current levels. So my trading money will keep looking for a better entry.

Weather it's their intention or not, CR's hit pieces usually come at a critical time for the shorts. The shorts must really like CR's help.
Agreed! While the timing of the [albeit, skewed, biased, and a single incident] piece was likely coincidental, the shorts could not have asked for better timing. I was biting my tongue at opening this morning knowing this was a critical point in this SP.

Reactions: gene and BobSk
Timing aside, I don't think today's CR report is that biased. The content IMO is quite factual and also points out the owners still love their X and don't regret buying it. Early X's have a lot of quality issues, and these issues have been around for several months. This is a risk investors need to beware about in the short term. These issues should go away as they learn how to improve on quality builds just like they did with the S.

Status
Not open for further replies.