Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Julian, are you in cash or puts? I don't think we will head up by the end of the week but I am not convinced we will head down too much, too fast either. Plenty of reason to think this will be a +/- 2% reaction.

All out except core holding averaged deep in the money and a max accumulation at $207. I cannot be bothered with stressing about puts and calls when I don't feel the market direction is completely obvious. Call me a cautious fellow but why take the risk and the hit to the nervous system fretting the +/- 2% when every now and again the direction of this stock is completely and blindingly obvious in advance at many multiples of 10%?

My trading strategy if you can call it that is to keep checking that the bears are dead wrong and that I haven't missed anything and wait for those perfect storm moments where the magnitude of their folly is laid bare and undeniable even by them. All I concern myself about is having max cash on tap for the next one that is scheduled this year and trying to decide if 50% of net worth or closer to 100% is a better idea to lay down on seriously OTM naked calls (I never trade margin). That's about it really. That and laying a trail on social media so that I have some security of actually getting paid rather than getting an SEC investigation for improbable out-sized gains. Like, no officer I definitely don't have insider information, here you can read all about how I figured this out, now hand over my check please.

I think there has been some dupe orders but there may be some things to bring the numbers up. teslalending.com is one

What is this website? Thankfully it only has 23 likes on Facebook. This looks like a very strange and possibly illegal concept. Who is paying for the deposit? What is the interest rate people are paying on the $1000 deposit? The "how it works section" only says:

create a savings account, aggree to recurring payments, Teslalending reserves your deposit, build your savings, put towards your deposit.

o_O

Jay C , is Teslalending.com your website? It looks like it was just built. Also, your first post on TMC is a plug for some strange website?

Just noticed the only testimonial on the website is from a J. Cummings. :rolleyes: (Jay C.?)

Last edited:
What is this website? Thankfully it only has 23 likes on Facebook. This looks like a very strange and possibly illegal concept. Who is paying for the deposit? What is the interest rate people are paying on the $1000 deposit? The "how it works section" only says:

o_O

Looks like a clever loan scheme. They prepay your $1000 deposit for you in exchange you agree to pay them back in monthly recurring installments. I would bet the interest rate is pretty high.

And by the way, the lone testimonial, J. Cummings is eerily the same initials as Jay C.!

So, Tesla just confirmed Model S 75D for $3K premium, and 259 mile range to be launched next week. I understand this was already leaked by CARB this morning, so they had no choice really but to confirm, but why not wait till ER CC to confirm? Given the low delivery rate for Q1, I would think they would want to include as much positive news during the CC to offest the bad? Unless they have more surprise announcement in the cards?

For those who frequently buy high then sell low, I will offer my advice. Free advice is usually worthless. I will try a second time anyway. It's heart broken for me to see the malicious shorts spreading FUD then happily eating your cake. After all I found most people on this board care about the environment and a better world.

Rule #1, do not use borrowed money to do investment or trading. Unless you have a track record to show you are the rare 0.1% who can beat the game by a wide margin.

Rule #2, you should have a system/approach that makes sense, and follow it.

TSLA rose 800% in the past 4 years and is likely to rise much more in the next 10 years. If your main approach is long term investment, but your return is not good, you should check what went wrong. It's not a long term investment if you suddenly sell everything before a quarterly result. If you are trading, then follow trading rules.

For traders, seems to me this stock is a swing trade heaven. The technical indicators are quite clear on every turn. It doesn't do the tricky double or triple testings. If you frequently buy high then sell low, your trading method is not right on this stock.

If you don't have a good method on investment or trading TSLA. I will explain to you my approach I think makes a lot of sense:

Divide your account into a long term investment portion and a swing trading portion. Depends on each person's situation, if you have a lot of new cash every month, you can set 75% for long term investment, never touch those shares. The remaining 25% and new cash will be used for trading. If This account is all the money you get, no new cash, and you prefer trading, then set a smaller portion as permanent investment, a larger portion for trading.

The trick is in the trading portion. Pay great attention to technical indicators and charts. Buy low sell high. When you are not sure about the direction, trade with SMALL size.

There are many trading schemes. For swing trade, first make a trading plan, assume a much lower level is coming, then gradually add on the way down BASED ON YOUR PLAN. Don't get too excited and suddenly get all in, only to see it drop another 30% in a few weeks. You can start to buy on the way down, start with 1% of your trading money, then add another 2% if it went lower, then another 5%......

The key for swing trade is try to conserve your trading cash, use them when the stock has gone low enough, and all technical indicators are saying it will go up, then you deploy a large portion of cash. Some traders quickly use 95% of capital then add one or two shares when the stock goes much lower, that's not very productive.

Let's say you got in right, the stock rallied, keep in mind this is the trading portion, don't be afraid to sell and take profit. At some point you may reduce to zero, you could even go short if the condition is right. This small short in trading is to maximize the trading profit (as long as you have a large long holding to back it). Add profit to long term holdings. Stop swing trading when breakout happens. That's a time to buy and hold with a stop loss.

For the trading portion, you could use options to improve your results. For example, you can start by selling out of money Puts, then buy shares at lower level, then buy more, then at extreme low levels, buy Calls. Again, when you buy Calls at low levels, take stepped approach. Don't get all in in one shot, only to see them drop 80% in a few weeks.

I hope everyone get great results. Good luck!

So, Tesla just confirmed Model S 75D for $3K premium, and 259 mile range to be launched next week. I understand this was already leaked by CARB this morning, so they had no choice really but to confirm, but why not wait till ER CC to confirm? Given the low delivery rate for Q1, I would think they would want to include as much positive news during the CC to offest the bad? Unless they have more surprise announcement in the cards?

They have said for a while that they don't want to talk about product changes or internal operations during CC, but give guidance based primarily on numbers while omitting details.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SBenson
For all those complaining about Elon doing QC on the Xes... please tell me you understand this is what makes Tesla Tesla.

Does he micro manage? Are you kidding me?! Have you followed this company/guy?! And yes, that shows in many areas like the hectic corporate communication (and burning through PR people). But he doesn't do it, because this is a garage shop with no adequate personnel, or know how. The guy has an insatiable hunger to understand every problem and solve it too.

He is not a member of the GM board flipping through QC reports and reading lines by the PR department, he would personally pull apart the ignition switch and understand how all the pieces click until he finds the issue. Yes, this has upsides and downsides, but what is undeniable is that his charisma and leadership style made Tesla what it is today.

As an investor I am completely satisfied with his leadership. As an employee I might be greatly annoyed by someone like Elon who works twice as many hours as I do and is at least twice as smart. In my anxiety to get a piece of paper out in a high pressure government job I used to annoy the hell out of the secretaries. The same as a professor--although they had enough guts to tell me to shut up when deserved. I don't think I could tell Elon to do the same under any circumstances. Could anyone else on this forum?

On the plus side, as a young faculty member one of the Deans kept suggesting really good ideas for me to try which I did with amazing success, and he let me take the credit for all of them! If that's the way he deals with subordinates, more power to him!!

Last edited:
For those who frequently buy high then sell low, I will offer my advice. Free advice is usually worthless. I will try a second time anyway. It's heart broken for me to see the malicious shorts spreading FUD then happily eating your cake. After all I found most people on this board care about the environment and a better world.

snip

I hope everyone get great results. Good luck!

I'll never be a trader and have little income to invest long. But this is the best stock advice I have seen and in such short compass. Bravo!

Is the UBS analyst not paying attention or being intentionally pessimistic?

Tesla’s quarterly results likely a big miss, UBS says

1) Model 3 will not significantly eat into 2016 or 2017 Model S/Model X sales.
2) The Model S redesign and increased production of the Model X will significantly benefit Tesla. Although not scientific, it's already clear from trends on eBay that many Model S owners are upgrading to the new Model S or are buying a Model X. You can currently get a 2013 Model S with ~60,000 miles for ~$58,000 on eBay. Almost every person who is listing a Model S for sale on eBay states in the description that they are only selling it because they are upgrading to the new Model S or the Model X.
3) If deposits are still coming in at a rate of 2000-3000 daily, Tesla could pay for a 2nd factory with the cash from deposits.
4) Tesla isn't spending any money advertising the Model 3. Also, anyone placing a deposit today has likely not seen the Model 3 in person. if they have seen the Model 3 in person, they have only seen the "early version". The production version of the Model 3 will be significantly better than the early version. Once people have seen the production version of the Model 3, know the pricing,specs, ratings, reviews, etc, and Tesla is able to mass produce the Model 3, demand will certain see a huge spike from where it is today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla misses due to expenses related to fixing the problems with the early Model X, and supplier delays. Elon has sort of hinted this might be the case, and I think it might have already been priced in. I suppose we'll need to wait and see.

I hope there will be a livestream or someone liveblogging the event at 11:45am. Anyone know if there will be a live stream?

Last edited:
For all those complaining about Elon doing QC on the Xes... please tell me you understand this is what makes Tesla Tesla.
I think that I posted the first negative comment about this.

Three things:
Do you really think that 6-7 months after the launch this is a good thing?

Do you think this will move the SP up (implied in the OP)?

Right now it might be the best solution but wouldn't it be better if Elon could use his time doing something else, like planning the M3 ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.