Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. And if wait times can be significantly shortened as appears to be the case, demand should skyrocket from the classes beyond the early adopters. Those early adopters (including the massive numbers reserving Model 3's) have patience. But most people want a new car just as soon as their old one develops problems. So they drive one off a dealer's lot rather than wait for a custom built car. Increased production speed significantly reducing the order backlog should greatly encourage the placing of orders by those without patience.

Furthermore, I expect that increased production speed will allow the introduction of meaningful inventory for immediate delivery at Tesla stores. That would be good news for those unwilling to wait, and will keep the production lines humming along.
I think this is already happening in spades with Model S, at least around here in Silicon Valley. I see it daily. I think your "future-tense" is more directed at Model X, and the entire portfolio by extension (to a lesser degree).

I wonder how much the S refresh helped simplify/increase production (if at all)?

They can ramp to whatever model S level they can sell. There is no reason that minor changes would affect their ability to produce the car.

If after four years Tesla can not ramp model S production to meet increasing demand they are doomed as incompetents. As car production goes, the Model S is still at very modest level. The modestly selling Ford Mustang is produced at 2X the Model S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
They can ramp to whatever model S level they can sell. There is no reason that minor changes would affect their ability to produce the car.

If after four years Tesla can not ramp model S production to meet increasing demand they are doomed as incompetents. As car production goes, the Model S is still at very modest level. The modestly selling Ford Mustang is produced at 2X the Model S.

This was not an answer to the question being asked. At all. What so ever.

If you didn't already notice I will have to be the one pointing out the socially awkward fact that you are trying to talk to people who are not interested about a subject which they have all thought about themselves and come to diametrically different conclusions.

If you cannot bring any new pieces of factual evidence to the table, facts that are not easily available to all Tesla investors such as quarterly reports, public statements, SEC fillings etc. then I suggest you refrain from posting more because frankly it's annoying.

Last edited:
Short interest down 10% from March 31 to April 15, from about 32.3M to 29.1M (update released yesterday after close). During this period, we had a $230 pps prior to the Model 3 unveil event, April 7th high of $270, and following days stabilizing around $250.

Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest

Yes, for some good analysis on the current short state speculation see the below thread to add to the short interest speculation there if interested:
Tracking short interest

Not sure why it isn't updating to the latest threads being discussed yet though as I just put the latest comment in there just 20 minutes ago

• Informative
Reactions: Noble Ninja
I might be starting to agree with this one. I don't think it is a lot of drain on Musk's time but SCTY isn't the slam dunk that other 2 companies are.
I have a lot of ideas how Solar City could offer more and more compelling products, and if I was working with a team that also made Solar City a bit more financially conservative, I'd really love to work there with stock options. For now, though, I have no internal view into their company and how well they're already doing my ideas.

I wonder how much the S refresh helped simplify/increase production (if at all)?
One of the analysts estimated a 10% increase due to the parts commonality. Seems like a made up number, though.

Does the analyst elaborate on what the "parts commonality" are? I'm curious if there were changes beyond what was publically announced. The new nosecone is unique to the S, and so are the new LED headlights. HEPA filter is a new addition to the S, so it adds cost/labor vs. the old S. The 75 Battery simply replaces the 70, and the X never had the 70 to begin with, so the only "new" commonality to the X that I can see is are front seats?

All told, I believe the Facelift does not "simplify/increase production", just on these changes. And they still can't get rid of the old parts availability either, unless the new parts were designed to be retrofitted onto the old S(possible, if the mounting points remain the same I suppose)...

I might be starting to agree with this one. I don't think it is a lot of drain on Musk's time but SCTY isn't the slam dunk that other 2 companies are.

Maybe, however IMHO SolarCity is a strategic part of the total ecosystem and vision.
I would not be surprised to see SC becomming a part of the TE division somewhere in the future.

Yawn. Who paid this shill to write this article?

Tesla throws cold water on its own hype by admitting huge risks in building the Model 3

Somehow the author intreprets a statement about potential risks from a risk disclosure section that mentions "potential risks that might result in delays" to mean Tesla doesn't believe its projections are achievable.

This is the comment he bases the entire article around. It's sad what passes for journalism these days.

We may experience delays in realizing our projected timelines and cost and volume targets for the production, launch and ramp of our Model 3 vehicle.

Is this guy really trying to criticize Tesla for saying in a risk disclosure that there are certain factors (risks) beyond Tesla's control, that might cause delays in Tesla's timeline?

If Tesla didn't say this, some random law firm would sue Tesla for not mentioning these things, even if everything ends up ahead of schedule. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Yawn. Who paid this shill to write this article?

Tesla throws cold water on its own hype by admitting huge risks in building the Model 3

Somehow the author intreprets a statement about potential risks from a risk disclosure section that mentiona "potential risks that might result in delays" to mean Tesla doesn't believe its projections are achievable.

This is the comment he bases the entire article around. It's sad what passes for journalism these days.

Is this guy really trying to criticize Tesla for saying in a risk disclosure that there are certain factors (risks) beyond Tesla's control, that might cause delays in Tesla's timeline?

If Tesla didn't say this, some random law firm would sue Tesla for not mentioning these things, even if everything ends up ahead of schedule. Sheesh.
Just an idle thought: Is LA Times publicly traded? When is their periodical report due? If so, what do their shareholders think about sniping on their value?

I think the paper used to have some cred&clout. Now, not so sure anymore. And this Hitzlik character - Broder's brother? JAQ ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just an idle thought: Is LA Times publicly traded? When is their periodical report due? If so, what do their shareholders think about sniping on their value?

I think the paper used to have some cred&clout. Now, not so sure anymore. And this Hitzlik character - Broder's brother? JAQ ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The LA Times is owned by (Chicago) Tribune Publishing (TPUB). Their 2016 first quarter 10-Q indicated there were no material changes from the Risk Factors stated in their 2015 annual 10-K. Here is the Risk Factors section from their 10-K:

Item 1A. Risk Factors
Investors should carefully consider each of the following risks, together with all of the other information in this Annual Report on Form 10-K, in evaluating an investment in the Company’s common stock. Some of the following risks relate to the Company’s business, indebtedness, the securities markets and ownership of the Company’s common stock. Other risks relate to the separation from TCO and the effect of the separation from TCO. If any of the following risks and uncertainties develop into actual events, the Company could be materially and adversely affected. If this occurs, the trading price of the Company’s common stock could decline, and investors may lose all or part of their investment. Risks Relating to Our Business Advertising demand is expected to continue to be affected by changes in economic conditions and fragmentation of the media landscape. Advertising revenue is our primary source of revenue. Expenditures by advertisers tend to be cyclical, reflecting overall economic conditions, as well as budgeting and buying patterns. National and local economic conditions, particularly in major metropolitan markets, affect the levels of retail, national and classified newspaper advertising revenue. Changes in gross domestic product, consumer spending, auto sales, housing sales, unemployment rates, job creation, and circulation levels and rates, as well as federal, state and local election cycles, all affect demand for advertising. A decline in the economic prospects of advertisers or the economy in general could alter current or prospective advertisers’ spending priorities. Consolidation across various industries, such as large department store and telecommunications companies, may also reduce overall advertising revenue. Competition from other media, including other metropolitan, suburban and national newspapers, broadcasters, cable systems and networks, satellite television and radio, websites, magazines, direct marketing and solo and shared mail programs, affects our ability to retain advertising clients and maintain or raise rates. In recent years, Internet sites devoted to recruitment, automotive and real estate have become significant competitors of our newspapers and websites for classified advertising, and retaining our historical share of classified advertising revenue remains a significant ongoing challenge. Seasonal variations in consumer spending cause our quarterly advertising revenue to fluctuate. Second and fourth quarter advertising revenue is typically higher than first and third quarter advertising revenue, reflecting the slower economic activity in the winter and summer and the stronger fourth quarter holiday season. Demand for our products is also a factor in determining advertising rates. For example, circulation levels for our newspapers, which have been declining, are a factor in determining advertising rates. All of these factors continue to contribute to a difficult advertising sales environment and may further adversely affect our ability to grow or maintain our advertising revenue. Increasing popularity of digital media and the shift in newspaper readership demographics, consumer habits and advertising expenditures from traditional print to digital media have adversely affected and may continue to adversely affect our operating revenues and may require significant capital investments due to changes in technology. Technology in the media industry continues to evolve rapidly. Advances in technology have led to an increasing number of methods for delivery of news and other content and have resulted in a wide variety of consumer demands and expectations, which are also rapidly evolving. If we are unable to exploit new and existing technologies to distinguish our products and services from those of our competitors or adapt to new distribution methods that provide optimal user experiences, our business and financial results may be adversely affected. The increasing number of digital media options available on the Internet, through social networking tools and through mobile and other devices distributing news and other content, is expanding consumer choice significantly. Faced with a multitude of media choices and a dramatic increase in accessible information, consumers may place greater value on when, where, how and at what price they consume digital content than they do on the source or reliability of such content. Further, as existing newspaper readers get older, younger generations may not develop similar readership habits. News aggregation websites and customized news feeds (often free to users) may reduce our traffic levels by driving interaction away from our websites or our digital applications. If traffic levels stagnate or decline, we may not be able to create sufficient advertiser interest in our digital businesses or to maintain or increase the advertising rates of the inventory on our digital platforms. 8 In addition, the range of advertising choices across digital products and platforms and the large inventory of available digital advertising space have historically resulted in significantly lower rates for digital advertising than for print advertising. Digital advertising networks and exchanges, real-time bidding and other programmatic buying channels that allow advertisers to buy audiences at scale are also playing a more significant role in the advertising marketplace and causing downward pricing pressure. In addition, evolving standards for delivery of digital advertising, such as viewability, could adversely affect advertising revenues. Consequently, our digital advertising revenue may not be able to replace print advertising revenue lost as a result of the shift to digital consumption. A decrease in our customers’ advertising expenditures, reduced demand for our offerings or a surplus of advertising inventory could lead to a reduction in pricing and advertising spending, which could have an adverse effect on our businesses and assets. Our inability to maintain and/or improve the performance of our customers’ advertising results on our digital properties may negatively influence rates we achieve in the marketplace for our advertising inventory. Paywalls on our newspaper websites require users to pay for content after accessing a limited number of pages or news articles for free each month. Our ability to build a subscriber base on our digital platforms through these packages depends on market acceptance, consumer habits, pricing, an adequate online infrastructure, terms of delivery platforms and other factors. In addition, the paywall may result in fewer page views or unique visitors to our websites if digital viewers are unwilling to pay to gain access to our digital content. Stagnation or a decline in website traffic levels may adversely affect our advertiser base and advertising rates and result in a decline in digital revenue. In order to retain and grow our digital subscription base and audience, we may have to further evolve our digital subscription model, address changing consumer requirements and develop and improve our digital products while continuing to deliver high-quality journalism and content that is interesting and relevant to our audience. There can be no assurance that we will be able to successfully maintain and increase our digital subscription base and audience or that we will be able to do so without taking steps such as reducing pricing or increasing costs that would affect our financial condition and results of operations. Technological developments also pose other challenges that could adversely affect our operating revenues and competitive position. New delivery platforms may lead to pricing restrictions, the loss of distribution control and the loss of a direct relationship with consumers. Our advertising and circulation revenues have declined, reflecting general trends in the newspaper industry, including declining newspaper buying (by young people in particular) and the migration to other available forms of media for news. We may also be adversely affected if the use of technology developed to block the display of advertising on websites and mobile devices proliferates. Any changes we make to our business model to address these challenges may require significant capital investments. We may be limited in our ability to invest funds and resources in digital products, services or opportunities and we may incur costs of research and development in building and maintaining the necessary and continually evolving technology infrastructure. Some of our competitors may have greater operational, financial and other resources or may otherwise be better positioned to compete for opportunities and as a result, our digital businesses may be less successful, which may adversely affect our business and financial results. Macroeconomic trends may adversely impact our business, financial condition and results of operations. Our operating revenues are sensitive to discretionary spending available to advertisers and subscribers in the markets we serve, as well as their perceptions of economic trends and uncertainty. Weak economic indicators in various regions across the nation, such as high unemployment rates, weakness in housing and continued uncertainty caused by national and state governments’ inability to resolve fiscal issues in a cost efficient manner to taxpayers may adversely impact advertiser and subscriber sentiment. These conditions could impair our ability to maintain and grow our advertiser and subscriber bases. Our business operates in highly competitive markets and our ability to maintain market share and generate operating revenues depends on how effectively we compete with our competition. Our business operates in highly competitive markets. Our newspapers compete for audiences and advertising revenue with other newspapers as well as with other media such as the Internet, magazines, broadcast, cable and satellite television, radio, direct mail, and yellow pages. Some of our competitors have greater financial and other resources than we do. Our newspaper publications generate significant percentages of their advertising revenue from a few categories, including automotive, employment, and real estate classified advertising. In recent years, websites dedicated to automotive, employment, and real estate advertising have become significant competitors of our newspapers and websites. As a result, even in the absence of a recession or economic downturn, technological, industry, or other changes specifically affecting 9 these advertising sources could reduce advertising revenues and adversely affect our financial condition and results of operations. Our operating revenues primarily consist of advertising and paid circulation. Competition for advertising expenditures and paid circulation comes from a variety of sources, including local, regional and national newspapers, the Internet, magazines, broadcast, cable and satellite television, radio, direct mail, yellow pages, outdoor billboards, and other media. Free daily newspapers have been recently introduced in several metropolitan markets, and there can be no assurance that free daily publications, or other publications, will not be introduced in any markets in which we publish newspapers. The National Do Not Call Registry has affected the way newspapers solicit home-delivery circulation, particularly for larger newspapers that historically have relied on telemarketing. Competition for newspaper advertising revenue is based largely upon advertiser results, advertising rates, readership, demographics, and circulation levels. Competition for circulation is based largely upon the content of the newspaper, its price, editorial quality, customer service, and other sources of news and information. Circulation revenue and our ability to achieve price increases for our print products may be affected by competition from other publications and other forms of media available in our various markets, declining consumer spending on discretionary items like newspapers, decreasing amounts of free time, and declining frequency of regular newspaper buying among certain demographics. We may incur higher costs competing for advertising dollars and paid circulation. If we are not able to compete effectively for advertising dollars and paid circulation, our operating revenues may decline and our financial condition and results of operations may be adversely affected. Decreases, or slow growth, in circulation may adversely affect our circulation and advertising revenues. Our newspapers, and the newspaper industry as a whole, are experiencing challenges to maintain or grow print circulation and circulation revenue. This results from, among other factors, increased competition from other media, particularly the Internet (which are often free to users), changing newspaper readership demographics and shifting preferences among some consumers to receive all or a portion of their news other than from a newspaper. These factors could affect our ability to implement circulation price increases for our print products. In addition, our circulation revenue is sensitive to discretionary spending available to subscribers in the markets we serve, as well as their perceptions of economic trends and uncertainty. Weak economic indicators in various regions across the nation may adversely impact subscriber sentiment and therefore impair our ability to maintain and grow our circulation. A prolonged decline in circulation could affect the rate and volume of advertising revenue. To maintain our circulation base, we may incur additional costs, and may not be able to recover these costs through circulation and advertising revenue. To address declining circulation, we may increase spending on marketing designed to retain our existing subscriber base and continue or create niche publications targeted at specific market groups. We may also increase marketing efforts to drive traffic to our proprietary websites. We anticipate that readership analyses will become increasingly important now that the Alliance for Audited Media has agreed to publish readership statistics and recognize Internet use in addition to circulation information. We believe this is a positive industry development but we cannot predict its effect on advertising revenue. We rely on revenue from the printing and distribution of publications for third parties that may be subject to many of the same business and industry risks that we are. In 2015, we generated approximately 8.5% of our revenue from printing and distributing third-party publications, and our relationships with these third parties are generally pursuant to short-term contracts. As a result, if the macroeconomic and industry trends described herein such as the sensitivity to perceived economic weakness of discretionary spending available to advertisers and subscribers, circulation declines, shifts in consumer habits and the increasing popularity of digital media affect those third parties, we may lose, in whole or in part, a substantial source of revenue. A decision by any of the three largest national publications or the major local publications to cease publishing and distribution in those markets, or seek alternatives to their current business practice of partnering with us, could materially impact our profitability. 10 If we are unable to execute cost-control measures successfully, our total operating costs may be greater than expected, which would adversely affect our profitability. Commencing in 2014, we have taken steps to reduce operating costs by implementing general cost-control measures across the Company, which include offering employee buyouts and amending retirement benefits, and we plan to continue these cost management efforts. If we do not achieve expected savings or our operating costs increase as a result of investments in strategic initiatives, our total operating costs would be greater than anticipated. In addition, if we do not manage our costs properly, such efforts may affect the quality of our products and our ability to generate future revenues. Reductions in staff and employee benefits and changes to our compensation structure could also adversely affect our ability to attract and retain key employees. Significant portions of our expenses are fixed costs that neither increase nor decrease proportionately with revenues. If we are not able to implement further cost-control efforts or reduce our fixed costs sufficiently in response to a decline in our revenues, this could adversely affect our results of operations. Newsprint prices may continue to be volatile and difficult to predict and control. Newsprint and ink expense was 7.4% of our total operating expenses in 2015. The price of newsprint has historically been volatile and the consolidation of North American newsprint mills over the years has reduced the number of suppliers. We have historically been able to realize favorable newsprint pricing by virtue of our company-wide volume and a long-term contract with a significant supplier. Failure to maintain our current consumption levels, further supplier consolidation or the inability to maintain our existing relationships with our newsprint suppliers may adversely affect newsprint prices in the future. We may not be able to adapt to technological changes. Advances in technologies or alternative methods of content delivery or changes in consumer behavior driven by these or other technologies could have a negative effect on our business. We cannot predict the effect such technologies will have on our operations. In addition, the expenditures necessary to implement these new technologies could be substantial and other companies employing such technologies before we are able to do so could aggressively compete with our business. Technological developments may increase the threat of content piracy and limit our ability to protect intellectual property rights. We seek to limit the threat of content piracy; however, policing unauthorized use of our products and services and related intellectual property is often difficult and the steps taken by us may not prevent the infringement by unauthorized third parties. Developments in technology increase the threat of content piracy by making it easier to duplicate and widely distribute pirated material. Protection of our intellectual property rights is dependent on the scope and duration of our rights as defined by applicable laws in the U.S. and abroad and the manner in which those laws are construed. If those laws are drafted or interpreted in ways that limit the extent or duration of our rights, or if existing laws are changed, our ability to generate revenue from intellectual property may decrease, or the cost of obtaining and maintaining rights may increase. There can be no assurance that our efforts to enforce our rights and protect our products, services and intellectual property will be successful in preventing content piracy. We rely on third-party service providers for various services. We rely on third-party service providers for various services. We do not control the operation of these service providers. If any of these third-party service providers terminate their relationship with us, or do not provide an adequate level of service, it would be disruptive to our business as we seek to replace the service provider or remedy the inadequate level of service. This disruption may adversely affect our operating results. Significant problems with our key systems or those of our third-party service providers could have a material adverse effect on our operating results . The systems underlying the operations of each of our businesses are complex and diverse, and must efficiently integrate with third-party systems, such as wire feeds, video playout systems and credit card processors. Key systems include, without limitation, billing, website and database management, customer support, editorial content management, advertisement and circulation serving and management systems, and internal financial systems. Some of these systems are 11 outsourced to third parties. We or our third-party service providers may experience problems with these systems. All information technology and communication systems are subject to reliability issues, integration and compatibility concerns, and security-threatening intrusions. The continued and uninterrupted performance of our key systems is critical to our success. Unanticipated problems affecting these systems could cause interruptions in our services. In addition, if our third-party service providers face financial or other difficulties, our business could be adversely impacted. Any significant errors, damage, failures, interruptions, delays, or other problems with our systems, our backup systems or our third-party service providers or their systems could adversely impact our ability to satisfy our customers or operate our businesses, and could have a material adverse effect on our operating results. We may not be able to adequately protect our intellectual property and other proprietary rights that are material to our business, or to defend successfully against intellectual property infringement claims by third parties. Our ability to compete effectively depends in part upon our intellectual property rights, including our trademarks, copyrights and proprietary technology. Our use of contractual provisions, confidentiality procedures and agreements, and trademark, copyright, unfair competition, trade secret and other laws to protect our intellectual property rights and proprietary technology may not be adequate. Litigation may be necessary to enforce our intellectual property rights and protect our proprietary technology, or to defend against claims by third parties that the conduct of our businesses or our use of intellectual property infringes upon such third party’s intellectual property rights. Any intellectual property litigation or claims brought against us, whether or not meritorious, could result in substantial costs and diversion of our resources, and there can be no assurances that favorable final outcomes will be obtained in all cases. The terms of any settlement or judgment may require us to pay substantial amounts to the other party or cease exercising our rights in such intellectual property. In addition, we may have to seek a license to continue practices found to be in violation of a third party’s rights, which may not be available on reasonable terms, or at all. Our business, financial condition or results of operations may be adversely affected as a result. Adverse results from litigation or governmental investigations can impact our business practices and operating results. From time to time, we could be party to litigation, including matters relating to alleged libel or defamation or employment-related matters, in addition to regulatory, environmental and other proceedings with governmental authorities and administrative agencies. Adverse outcomes in lawsuits or investigations may result in significant monetary damages or injunctive relief that may adversely affect our operating results, financial condition and cash flows as well as our ability to conduct our businesses as we are presently conducting them. In some instances, third parties may have an obligation to indemnify us for liabilities related to litigation or governmental investigations, and may be unable to, or fail to fulfill such obligations. For example, in connection with The San Diego Union-Tribune acquisition, the seller agreed to indemnify us for certain outstanding legal matters, including the carrier litigation matter (see Note 6 to the Consolidated and Combined Financial Statements for further information). It is possible that the resolution of one or more such legal matters could result in significant monetary damages. The carrier litigation matter, for example, is being appealed and if adversely determined against us, could result in a final minimum damages award of $10 million, which increases as interest accrues on the unpaid judgment. If the seller in The San Diego Union-Tribune acquisition were to fail to indemnify us, we would be responsible for the monetary damages, which could adversely affect our financial condition and cash flow. We may not achieve the acquisition component of our business strategy, or successfully complete strategic acquisitions, investments or divestitures. We continuously evaluate our businesses and make strategic acquisitions, investments and divestitures as part of our strategic plan. For example, in May 2015, we acquired The San Diego Union-Tribune (f/k/a the U-T San Diego ) and nine community weeklies and related digital properties in San Diego, California. This and other transactions involve challenges and risks in negotiation, execution, valuation and integration. There can be no assurance that any such acquisitions, investments or divestitures can be completed. Acquisitions are an important component of our business strategy; however, there can be no assurance that we will be able to grow our business through acquisitions, that any businesses acquired will perform in accordance with expectations or that business judgments concerning the value, strengths and weaknesses of businesses acquired will prove to be correct. Future acquisitions may result in the incurrence of debt and contingent liabilities, an increase in interest and amortization expense and significant charges relative to integration costs. Our strategy could be impeded if we do not identify suitable acquisition candidates and our financial condition and results of operations will be adversely affected if we overpay for 12 acquisitions. Even if successfully negotiated, closed and integrated, certain acquisitions may prove not to advance our business strategy and may fall short of expected returns. Acquisitions involve a number of risks, including, (i) problems implementing disclosure controls and procedures for the newly acquired business; (ii) the challenges in achieving strategic objectives, cost savings and other anticipated benefits; (iii) unforeseen difficulties extending internal control over financial reporting and performing the required assessment at the newly acquired business; (iv) potential adverse short-term effects on operating results through increased costs or otherwise; (v) potential future impairments of goodwill associated with the acquired business; (vi) diversion of management’s attention and failure to recruit new, and retain existing, key personnel of the acquired business; (vii) failure to successfully implement systems integration; (viii) exceeding the capability of our systems; (ix) the risks inherent in the systems of the acquired business and risks associated with unanticipated events or liabilities, any of which could have a material adverse effect on our business, financial condition and results of operations; and (x) stockholder dilution if an acquisition, such as The San Diego UnionTribune acquisition, is consummated (in whole or in part) through an issuance of our securities. Our ability to execute an acquisition strategy may also encounter limitations in completing transactions. Among other considerations, we may not be able to obtain necessary financing on attractive terms or at all, and we may face regulatory considerations that limit the identity of candidates with whom we are permitted to proceed or impose delays. Continued economic uncertainty and the impact on our business or changes to our business and operations may result in goodwill and masthead impairment charges. Because we have grown in part through acquisitions, goodwill and other acquired intangible assets represent a substantial portion of our assets. We also have long-lived assets consisting of property and equipment and other identifiable intangible assets which we review both on an annual basis as well as when events or circumstances indicate that the carrying amount of an asset may not be recoverable. Erosion of general economic, market or business conditions could have a negative impact on our business and stock price, which may require that we record impairment charges in the future, which negatively affects our results of operations. If a determination is made that a significant impairment in value of goodwill, other intangible assets or long-lived assets has occurred, such determination could require us to impair a substantial portion of our assets. Asset impairments could have a material adverse effect on our financial condition and results of operations. We assumed an underfunded pension liability as part of The San Diego Union-Tribune acquisition. The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC Retirement Plan is currently underfunded. As a result, our pension funding requirements could increase due to a reduction in the plan’s funded status. The extent of underfunding is directly affected by changes in interest rates and asset returns in the securities markets. It also is affected by the rate and age of employee retirements, along with actual experience compared to actuarial projections. These items affect pension plan assets and the calculation of pension obligations and expenses. Such changes could increase the cost to our obligations, which could have a material adverse effect on our results and our ability to meet those obligations. In addition, changes in the law, rules, or governmental regulations with respect to pension funding could also materially and adversely affect cash flow and our ability to meet our pension obligations. We may be obligated to make greater contributions to multiemployer defined benefit pension plans that cover our union-represented employees in the next several years than previously required, placing greater liquidity needs upon our operations. We contribute to a number of multiemployer defined benefit pension plans under the terms of collective bargaining agreements that cover our unionrepresented employees. We are the only employer whose employees represent more than 5% of the total participation of each of the Chicago Newspaper Publishers Drivers’ Union Pension Plan (the “Drivers’ Plan”) and the GCIU Employer Retirement Benefit Plan. On March 31, 2010, the Drivers’ Plan was certified by its actuary to be in critical status for the plan year beginning January 1, 2010. As a result, the trustees of the Drivers’ Plan were required to adopt and implement a rehabilitation plan as of January 1, 2011 designed to enable the Drivers’ Plan to cease being in critical status within the period of time stipulated by the Internal Revenue Code (the “IRC”). The terms of the rehabilitation plan adopted by the trustees require Tribune Publishing to make increased contributions beginning on January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2025, and the trustees of the Drivers’ Plan project that it will emerge from critical status on January 1, 2026. Based on the actuarial assumptions utilized as of January 1, 2010 to develop the rehabilitation plan, it is estimated that Tribune Publishing’s remaining share of the funding obligations to the Drivers’ Plan during the rehabilitation plan period is approximately $76.5 million as of December 27, 2015 . 13 The funding obligation is subject to change based on a number of factors, including actual returns on plan assets as compared to assumed returns, changes in the number of plan participants and changes in the rate used for discounting future benefit obligations. The risks of participating in these multiemployer plans are different from single-employer plans in that assets contributed are pooled and may be used to provide benefits to employees of other participating employers. If a participating employer withdraws from or otherwise ceases to contribute to the plan, the unfunded obligations of the plan may be borne by the remaining participating employers. Alternatively, if we stop participating in one of our multiemployer plans, we may incur a withdrawal liability based on the unfunded status of the plan. Our ability to operate effectively could be impaired if we fail to attract and retain our senior management team. Our success depends, in part, upon the continuing contributions of our senior management team. There is no guarantee that they will not leave. The loss of the services of any member of our senior management team or the failure to attract qualified persons to our senior management team may have a material adverse effect on our business or our business prospects. Our possession and use of personal information and the use of payment cards by our customers present risks and expenses that could harm our business. Unauthorized access to or disclosure or manipulation of such data, whether through breach of our network security or otherwise, could expose us to liabilities and costly litigation and damage our reputation. Our online systems store and process confidential subscriber and other sensitive data, such as names, email addresses, addresses, personal health information, and other personal information. Therefore, maintaining our network security is critical. Additionally, we depend on the security of our third-party service providers. Unauthorized use of or inappropriate access to our, or our third-party service providers’ networks, computer systems and services could potentially jeopardize the security of confidential information, including payment card (credit or debit) information, of our customers. Because the techniques used to obtain unauthorized access, disable or degrade service, or sabotage systems change frequently and often are not recognized until launched against a target, we or our third-party service providers may be unable to anticipate these techniques or to implement adequate preventative measures. Non-technical means, for example, actions by an employee, can also result in a data breach. A party that is able to circumvent our security measures could misappropriate our proprietary information or the information of our customers or users, cause interruption in our operations, or damage our computers or those of our customers or users. As a result of any such breaches, customers or users may assert claims of liability against us and these activities may subject us to legal claims, adversely impact our reputation, and interfere with our ability to provide our products and services, all of which may have a material adverse effect on our business, financial condition and results of operations. The coverage and limits of our insurance policies may not be adequate to reimburse us for losses caused by security breaches. A significant number of our customers authorize us to bill their payment card accounts directly for all amounts charged by us. These customers provide payment card information and other personally identifiable information which, depending on the particular payment plan, may be maintained to facilitate future payment card transactions. Under payment card rules and our contracts with our card processors, if there is a breach of payment card information that we store, we could be liable to the banks that issue the payment cards for their related expenses and penalties. In addition, if we fail to follow payment card industry data security standards, even if there is no compromise of customer information, we could incur significant fines or lose our ability to give our customers the option of using payment cards. If we were unable to accept payment cards, our business would be seriously harmed. There can be no assurance that any security measures we, or our third-party service providers, take will be effective in preventing a data breach. We may need to expend significant resources to protect against security breaches or to address problems caused by breaches. If an actual or perceived breach of our security occurs, the perception of the effectiveness of our security measures could be harmed and we could lose customers or users. Failure to protect confidential customer data or to provide customers with adequate notice of our privacy policies could also subject us to liabilities imposed by United States federal and state regulatory agencies or courts. We could also be subject to evolving state laws that impose data breach notification requirements, specific data security obligations, or other consumer privacy-related requirements. Our failure to comply with any of these laws or regulations may have an adverse effect on our business, financial condition and results of operations. 14 Labor strikes, lockouts and protracted negotiations can lead to business interruptions and increased operating costs. As of December 27, 2015 , union employees comprised approximately 12% of our workforce. We are required to negotiate collective bargaining agreements across our business units on an ongoing basis. Complications in labor negotiations can lead to work slowdowns or other business interruptions and greater overall employee costs. If we or our suppliers are unable to renew expiring collective bargaining agreements, it is possible that the affected unions or others could take action in the form of strikes or work stoppages. Such actions, higher costs in connection with these agreements or a significant labor dispute could adversely affect our business by disrupting our ability to provide customers with our products or services. Depending on its duration, any lockout, strike or work stoppage may have an adverse effect on our operating revenues, cash flows or operating income or the timing thereof. Our revenues and operating results fluctuate on a seasonal basis and may suffer if revenues during the peak season do not meet our expectations. Our advertising business is seasonal, and our quarterly revenues and operating results typically exhibit seasonality. Our revenues and operating results tend to be higher in the second and fourth quarters than the first and third quarters. Results for the second quarter reflect spring advertising revenues, while the fourth quarter includes advertising revenues related to the holiday season. Our operating results may suffer if advertising revenues during the second and fourth quarters do not meet expectations. Our working capital and cash flows also fluctuate as a result of this seasonality. Moreover, the operational risks described elsewhere in these risk factors may be significantly exacerbated if those risks were to occur during the fourth quarter. We may not be able to access the credit and capital markets at the times and in the amounts needed and on acceptable terms. From time to time we may need to access the long-term and short-term capital markets to obtain financing. Our access to, and the availability of, financing on acceptable terms and conditions in the future will be impacted by many factors, including: (1) our financial performance, (2) our credit ratings or absence of a credit rating, (3) the liquidity of the overall capital markets and (4) the state of the economy. There can be no assurance that we will have access to the capital markets on terms acceptable to us. We may incur significant costs to address contamination issues at certain sites operated or used by our publishing businesses. In connection with the Distribution, we agreed to indemnify TCO for any claims or expenses related to certain identified environmental issues. The identified issues generally relate to sites previously owned, operated or used by TCO’s publishing businesses and now used for our publishing businesses at which contamination was identified. Historically, TCO’s publishing business was obligated to investigate and remediate contamination at certain of these sites. TCO was also required to contribute to cleanup costs at certain of these sites that were third-party waste disposal facilities at which it disposed of its wastes. We could have additional investigation and remediation obligations and be required to contribute to cleanup costs at these facilities. Environmental liabilities, including investigation and remediation obligations, could adversely affect our operating results or financial condition. Changes in accounting standards can significantly impact reported earnings and operating results. Generally accepted accounting principles and accompanying pronouncements and implementation guidelines for many aspects of our business, including those related to revenue recognition, intangible assets, pensions, income taxes and stock-based compensation are complex and involve significant judgment. Changes in these rules or their interpretation may significantly change our reported earnings and operating results. Events beyond our control may result in unexpected adverse operating results. Our results could be affected in various ways by global or domestic events beyond our control, such as wars, political unrest, acts of terrorism, and natural disasters. Such events can quickly result in significant declines in advertising revenue and significant increases in newsgathering costs. 15 Risks Relating to the Distribution We have limited operating history as a separate public company and may be unable to operate profitably as a stand-alone company. We have limited operating history as a separate, stand-alone public company. Historically, because the publishing and the broadcasting businesses that comprised TCO had been under one ultimate parent, they had been able to rely, to some degree, on the earnings, assets, and cash flow of each other for capital requirements. Since the Distribution, we are able to rely only on the publishing business for such requirements. We cannot assure you that, as a separate public company, operating results will continue at historical levels, or that we will be profitable. Additionally, prior to the Distribution, we relied on TCO for various financial, administrative and managerial services in conducting our operations. Following the Distribution, we maintain our own credit and banking relationships and perform our own financial and investor relations functions. We cannot assure you that we will be able to successfully maintain the financial functions, administration and management necessary to operate as a separate company or that we will not incur additional costs operating as a separate public company. Any such additional or increased costs may have a material adverse effect on our business, financial condition, or results of operations. Our historical financial information may not be indicative of our future results as a separate public company. The historical financial information we have included in this report for the period prior to the Distribution may not reflect what our results of operations, financial position and cash flows would have been had we been a separate public company during the periods presented or be indicative of what our results of operations, financial position, and cash flows may be in the future as a separate public company. The historical financial information for the periods prior to the Distribution does not reflect the increased costs associated with being a separate public company, including changes in our cost structure, personnel needs, financing, and operations of our business as a result of the Distribution. Our historical financial information for the periods prior to the Distribution reflects allocations for services historically provided by TCO, and we expect these allocated costs to be different from the actual costs we incur for these services as a separate public company. In some instances, the costs incurred for these services as a separate public company may be higher than the share of total TCO expenses allocated to our business historically. For additional information about our past financial performance and the basis of presentation of our financial statements, see “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” and our Consolidated and Combined Financial Statements and the notes thereto in this report. We may incur increased costs after the Distribution or as a result of the separation from TCO that may cause our profitability to decline. Prior to the Distribution, our business operated as one of TCO’s segments, and TCO performed many corporate functions for our operations, including managing financial and human resources systems, internal auditing, investor relations, treasury services, select accounting functions, finance and tax administration, benefits administration, legal, governmental relations and regulatory functions. Following the Distribution, TCO provided transitional support to us with respect to certain of these functions for the periods specified in the transition services agreement and various other agreements. We have been replicating certain systems, infrastructure and personnel to which we no longer have access from TCO. However, we may misjudge our requirements for these services and systems on a stand-alone basis, and may incur greater than expected capital and other costs associated with developing and implementing our own support functions in these areas. These costs may exceed the costs we pay to TCO during the transition period. In addition, there may be an adverse operational effect on our business as a result of the significant time our management and other employees and internal resources will need to dedicate to building these capabilities during the first few years following the Distribution that otherwise would be available for other business initiatives and opportunities. As we operate these functions independently, if we have not developed adequate systems and business functions, or obtained them from other providers, we may not be able to operate the company effectively and our profitability may decline. 16 Fulfilling our obligations incident to being a public company, including with respect to the requirements of and related rules under the SarbanesOxley Act of 2002, is expensive and time-consuming, and our accounting, management and financial reporting systems may not be adequately prepared to comply with public company reporting, disclosure controls and internal control over financial reporting requirements. Prior to the Distribution, we operated as a subsidiary of TCO and were not subject to the same financial and other reporting and corporate governance requirements as a public company. As a public company, we are required, among other things, to: (i) prepare and file periodic and current reports, and distribute other stockholder communications, in compliance with the federal securities laws, SEC reporting requirements and New York Stock Exchange rules; (ii) institute comprehensive compliance, investor relations and internal audit functions under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002; and (iii) evaluate and maintain our system of internal control over financial reporting, and report on management’s assessment thereof, in compliance with rules and regulations of the SEC and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board. The changes necessitated by becoming a public company require a significant commitment of additional resources and management oversight, which have increased our operating costs. These changes also place significant additional demands on our finance and accounting staff and on our financial accounting and information systems and may require us to upgrade our systems, implement additional financial and management controls, reporting systems, IT systems and procedures, and hire additional accounting, legal and finance staff. Other expenses associated with being a public company include increases in auditing, accounting and legal fees and expenses, investor relations expenses, increased directors’ fees and director and officer liability insurance costs, registrar and transfer agent fees and listing fees, as well as other expenses. In particular, beginning with the year ended December 27, 2015, we are required to perform system and process evaluation and testing of our internal control over financial reporting to allow management to report on the effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting, as required by Section 404(a) of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. Likewise, our independent registered public accounting firm is required to provide an attestation report on the effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting pursuant to Section 404(b) of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. In addition, following the Distribution, we are required under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the “Exchange Act”), to maintain disclosure controls and procedures and internal control over financial reporting. Any failure to implement required new or improved controls, or difficulties encountered in their implementation, could harm our operating results or cause us to fail to meet our reporting obligations. If we are unable to conclude that we have effective internal control over financial reporting, or if our independent registered public accounting firm is unable to provide us with an unqualified report regarding the effectiveness of our internal control over financial reporting, investors could lose confidence in the reliability of our financial statements. This could result in a decrease in the value of our common stock. Failure to comply with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 could potentially subject us to sanctions or investigations by the SEC or other regulatory authorities. If we are unable to upgrade our systems, implement additional financial and management controls, reporting systems, IT systems and procedures, and hire additional accounting, legal and finance staff in a timely and effective fashion, our ability to comply with our financial reporting requirements and other rules that apply to reporting companies under the Exchange Act and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act could be impaired. As discussed in Item 9A - Controls and Procedures of this Annual Report on Form 10-K, we identified material weaknesses in our internal control over financial reporting related to an ineffective control environment which contributed to material weaknesses related to review and approval of insert volume forecasts and variance analysis for preprint advertising, documentation of approval of rates for circulation and other revenue, and the review of compensation expense, including sales commissions and bonus plans. As a result of the identified material weaknesses, we concluded that our internal control over financial reporting was not effective as of December 27, 2015. Although we have taken steps to remediate the material weaknesses (see Item 9A for a description of the identified material weaknesses and related remediation plans), we have not fully remediated the material weaknesses. If we do not complete our remediation in a timely manner or if the remediation measures that we have implemented and intend to implement are inadequate to address our existing material weaknesses or to identify or prevent additional material weaknesses, there will continue to be an increased risk of future material misstatements in our annual or interim financial statements. If the Distribution does not qualify as a tax-free distribution under Section 355 of the IRC, including as a result of subsequent acquisitions of stock of TCO or Tribune Publishing, then TCO may be required to pay substantial U.S. federal income taxes, and Tribune Publishing may be obligated to indemnify TCO for such taxes imposed on TCO as a result thereof. TCO received a private letter ruling (the “IRS Ruling”) from the Internal Revenue Service (the “IRS”) to the effect that the Distribution and certain related transactions qualify as tax-free to TCO, Tribune Publishing and the TCO stockholders and warrantholders for U.S. federal income tax purposes. Although a private letter ruling from the IRS generally is binding on the IRS, the IRS Ruling does not rule that the Distribution satisfies every requirement for a tax-free 17 distribution, and the parties rely solely on the opinion of counsel described below for comfort that such additional requirements are satisfied. In connection with the Distribution, TCO received an opinion of Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, special tax counsel to TCO, to the effect that the Distribution and certain related transactions qualify as tax-free to TCO and the stockholders and warrantholders of TCO. The opinion of TCO’s special tax counsel relied on the IRS Ruling as to matters covered by it. The IRS Ruling and the opinion of TCO’s special tax counsel are based on, among other things, certain representations and assumptions as to factual matters made by TCO and certain of the TCO stockholders. The failure of any factual representation or assumption to be true, correct and complete in all material respects could adversely affect the validity of the IRS Ruling or the opinion of TCO’s special tax counsel. An opinion of counsel represents counsel’s best legal judgment, is not binding on the IRS or the courts, and the IRS or the courts may not agree with the opinion. In addition, the IRS Ruling and the opinion of TCO’s special tax counsel are based on then current law, and cannot be relied upon if the law changes with retroactive effect. Among other reasons, the Distribution would be taxable to TCO pursuant to Section 355(e) of the IRC if there is a 50% or more change in ownership of either TCO or Tribune Publishing, directly or indirectly, as part of a plan or series of related transactions that include the Distribution. Section 355(e) might apply if other acquisitions of stock of TCO before or after the Distribution, or of Tribune Publishing after the Distribution, are considered to be part of a plan or series of related transactions that include the Distribution. If Section 355(e) applied, TCO might recognize a very substantial amount of taxable gain. Under the tax matters agreement, in certain circumstances, and subject to certain limitations, we are required to indemnify TCO against taxes on the Distribution that arise as a result of our actions or failures to act after the Distribution. See “-Risks Relating to the Distribution-We will be unable to take certain actions after the Distribution because such actions could jeopardize the tax-free status of the Distribution, and such restrictions could be significant.” In some cases, however, TCO might recognize gain on the Distribution without being entitled to an indemnification payment under the tax matters agreement. We may be unable to take certain actions because such actions could jeopardize the tax-free status of the Distribution, and such restrictions could be significant. In connection with the Distribution, we entered into a tax matters agreement, which prohibits us from taking actions that could reasonably be expected to cause the Distribution to be taxable or to jeopardize the conclusions of the IRS Ruling or opinions of counsel received by us or TCO. In particular, for two years after the Distribution, we may not: • enter into any agreement, understanding or arrangement or engage in any substantial negotiations with respect to any transaction involving the acquisition, issuance, repurchase or change of ownership of our capital stock, or options or other rights in respect of our capital stock, subject to certain exceptions relating to employee compensation arrangements and open market stock repurchases; • cease the active conduct of our business; or • voluntarily dissolve, liquidate, merge or consolidate with any other person, unless we survive and the transaction otherwise complies with the restrictions in the tax matters agreement. Nevertheless, we are permitted to take any of the actions described above if we obtain TCO’s consent, or if we obtain a supplemental IRS private letter ruling (or an opinion of counsel that is reasonably acceptable to TCO) to the effect that the action will not affect the tax-free status of the Distribution. However, the receipt by us of any such consent, opinion or ruling does not relieve us of any obligation we have to indemnify TCO for an action we take that causes the Distribution to be taxable to TCO. Because of these restrictions, for two years after the Distribution, we may be limited in the amount of capital stock that we can issue to make acquisitions or to raise additional capital. Also, our indemnity obligation to TCO may discourage, delay or prevent a third party from acquiring control of us during this twoyear period in a transaction that our stockholders might consider favorable. 18 Following the Distribution, certain members of management, directors and stockholders may face actual or potential conflicts of interest. Following the Distribution, our management and directors and the management and directors of TCO may own both TCO common stock and our common stock. This ownership overlap could create, or appear to create, potential conflicts of interest when our management and directors and TCO’s management and directors face decisions that could have different implications for us and TCO. For example, potential conflicts of interest could arise in connection with the resolution of any dispute between us and TCO regarding the terms of the agreements governing the Distribution and our relationship with TCO thereafter. These agreements include the separation and distribution agreement, the tax matters agreement, the employee matters agreement, the transition services agreement and any commercial agreements between the parties or their affiliates. Potential conflicts of interest may also arise out of any commercial arrangements that we or TCO may enter into in the future. Direct or indirect ownership of our securities could result in the violation of the media ownership rules of the Federal Communications Commission ("FCC") by investors with “attributable interests” in certain broadcast stations in the same market as one or more of our daily newspapers. In connection with the Distribution, stockholders of TCO received shares of our common stock. The FCC’s “Newspaper Broadcast Cross Ownership Rule” (the “NBCO Rule”) prohibits a person or entity from having an “attributable” ownership or positional interest in a broadcast station and a daily newspaper published in the same market. Under FCC rules, the following relationships and interests are considered “attributable” for purposes of applying the NBCO Rule: (i) all officers and directors of a corporate licensee and its direct or indirect parent(s); (ii) voting stock interests of at least 5%; (iii) voting stock interests of at least 20%, if the holder is a passive institutional investor (such as an investment company, as defined in 15 U.S.C. 80a-3, bank, or insurance company); (iv) any equity interest in a limited partnership or limited liability company, unless “insulated” from day-to-day operational activities; and (v) equity and/or debt interests that in the aggregate exceed 33% of a media company’s total assets, if the holder supplies more than 15% of a broadcast station’s total weekly programming or is a samemarket broadcast company or daily newspaper publisher. Holders of attributable interests in broadcast stations and daily newspapers may have the effect of limiting the strategic business opportunities available to the broadcast company as a result of also holding an attributable interest in the newspaper company, including limiting the current ability of TCO to acquire or to continue to be licensed to operate broadcast stations in markets where Tribune Publishing publishes a daily newspaper. If an investor holds attributable ownership interests in both TCO and Tribune Publishing, for example, because TCO operates television stations and Tribune Publishing publishes daily newspapers in the same market, the FCC may require the common holder of attributable interests in both properties to reduce or eliminate one of their attributable interests as part of its action on any application filed by TCO. TCO’s existing Chicago market radio/television/newspaper combination has been permanently grandfathered by the FCC, and its television/newspaper combinations in the New York, Los Angeles, Miami-Fort Lauderdale and Hartford-New Haven markets are subject to temporary waivers of the NBCO Rule granted on November 16, 2012, in connection with the FCC’s approval of TCO’s plan of reorganization (the “Exit Order”). The temporary waivers, among other things, required TCO to come into compliance with the NBCO Rule within one year from the release date of the Exit Order, September 16, 2013. TCO filed with the FCC a request for extension of the temporary NBCO Rule waivers granted in the Exit Order on November 12, 2013 (in New York, Los Angeles, Miami-Fort Lauderdale and Hartford-New Haven). On September 4, 2014, the request was amended to reflect the spin-off of Tribune Publishing, with an indication that three current stockholders of TCO also hold attributable interests in Tribune Publishing. Under the current policies of the FCC in applying the NBCO Rule, if a publisher of a daily newspaper such as Tribune Publishing acquires a daily newspaper giving rise to prohibited common cross-ownership with a broadcast licensee, such as TCO, the broadcast licensee generally is given until the date of its next renewal application to resolve the prohibited common ownership. Entities seeking FCC approval to acquire broadcast licensees are required to demonstrate compliance with the media ownership rules, including the NBCO Rule, or obtain waivers of those rules. On March 31, 2014, the FCC initiated its Congressionallymandated 2014 Quadrennial Review proceeding, in which it is requesting comment on whether its media ownership rules, including the NBCO Rule, are necessary in the public interest as a result of competition. As part of this proceeding, the FCC may revisit the time provided for broadcast licensees to come into compliance with the NBCO Rule as the result of the acquisition of an attributable interest in a daily newspaper. The FCC has indicated it does not intend to act on the 2014 Quadrennial Review before June 30, 2016 at the earliest. We cannot predict the outcome of this proceeding or whether or the extent to which the FCC will reauthorize TCO’s existing temporary waivers or grant permanent or temporary waivers in the future. 19 Federal and state fraudulent transfer laws and Delaware corporate law may permit a court to void the Distribution and related transactions, which would adversely affect our financial condition and our results of operations. In connection with the Distribution, TCO undertook a series of internal corporate reorganization transactions which, along with the contribution of TCO’s publishing businesses, the distribution of Tribune Publishing shares and the cash dividend paid to TCO, may be subject to challenge under federal and state fraudulent conveyance and transfer laws as well as under Delaware corporate law. Under applicable laws, any transaction, contribution or distribution contemplated as part of the Distribution could be voided as a fraudulent transfer or conveyance if, among other things, the transferor received less than reasonably equivalent value or fair consideration in return and was insolvent or rendered insolvent by reason of the transfer. We cannot be certain as to the standards a court would use to determine whether or not any entity involved in the Distribution was insolvent at the relevant time. In general, however, a court would look at various facts and circumstances related to the entity in question, including evaluation of whether or not: (i) the sum of its debts, including contingent and unliquidated liabilities, was greater than the fair saleable value of all of its assets; (ii) the present fair saleable value of its assets was less than the amount that would be required to pay its probable liability on its existing debts, including contingent liabilities, as they become absolute and mature; or (iii) it could pay its debts as they become due. If a court were to find that any transaction, contribution or distribution involved in the Distribution was a fraudulent transfer or conveyance, the court could void the transaction, contribution or distribution. In addition, the Distribution could also be voided if a court were to find that it is not a legal distribution or dividend under Delaware corporate law. The resulting complications, costs and expenses of either finding would materially adversely affect our financial condition and results of operations. Risks Relating to our Indebtedness We have significant indebtedness which could adversely affect our financial condition and our operating activities. In connection with the Distribution, on August 4, 2014 we entered into a credit agreement with JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., as administrative agent and collateral agent, and the lenders party thereto (the “Senior Term Facility”), pursuant to which we borrowed $350 million. We used a portion of the proceeds to fund a cash dividend to TCO of $275 million immediately prior to the Distribution. In addition, in connection with the Distribution, on August 4, 2014 Tribune Publishing and the Subsidiary Guarantors, in their capacities as borrowers thereunder, entered into a credit agreement with Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, collateral agent, swing line lender and letter of credit issuer and the lenders party thereto (the “Senior ABL Facility”), with aggregate maximum commitments (subject to availability under a borrowing base) of approximately $140 million, and entered into a letter of credit arrangement to allow up to $30 million of cash backed letters of credit, with $17.0 million issued on our behalf as of December 27, 2015. We also had $23.6 million of additional letters of credit issued under the Senior ABL Facility and undrawn as of December 27, 2015. The Senior ABL Facility includes flexibility for additional letters of credit to be issued thereunder. In addition, subject to certain conditions, without the consent of the applicable then existing lenders (but subject to the receipt of commitments), each of the Senior ABL Facility and the Senior Term Facility provided that they could be expanded by certain incremental commitments by an amount up to (i) $75 million in the case of the Senior ABL Facility and (ii) in the case of the Senior Term Facility, (A) the greater of $100 million, of which $70 million was accessed in connection with the acquisition of The San Diego Union-Tribune , and an amount as will not cause the net senior secured leverage ratio after giving effect to such incurrence to exceed 2.00 to 1.00, plus (B) an amount equal to all voluntary prepayments of the term loans borrowed under the Senior Term Facility on the Distribution Date and refinancing debt in respect of such loans. Our level of debt could have important consequences to our stockholders, including: • limiting our ability to obtain additional financing to fund future working capital, capital expenditures, acquisitions or other general corporate requirements; • requiring a substantial portion of our cash flows to be dedicated to debt service payments instead of other purposes, thereby reducing the amount of cash flows available for working capital, capital expenditures, acquisitions and other general corporate purposes; • increasing our vulnerability to general adverse economic and industry conditions; • limiting our ability to pay dividends; 20 • exposing us to the risk of increased interest rates to the extent that our borrowings are at variable rates of interest; • limiting our flexibility in planning for and reacting to changes in the industry in which we compete; • placing us at a disadvantage compared to other, less leveraged competitors or competitors with comparable debt and more favorable terms and thereby affecting our ability to compete; and • increasing our cost of borrowing. We may incur additional indebtedness to capitalize on business opportunities which could increase the risks related to our high level of indebtedness . Our Senior Term Facility and Senior ABL Facility (together, the “Senior Credit Facilities”) allow us and our subsidiaries to incur significant amounts of additional indebtedness in certain circumstances, including the incremental commitments under such facilities, and other debt which may be secured or unsecured. We may incur such additional indebtedness to finance acquisitions or investments. If we incur such additional indebtedness, our interest and amortization obligations would likely increase and the risks related to our high level of debt could intensify. We may not be able to generate sufficient cash to service our indebtedness and may be forced to take other actions to satisfy our obligations under our indebtedness, which may not be successful. Our ability to make scheduled payments on or refinance our debt obligations will depend on our financial condition and operating performance, which are subject to prevailing economic and competitive conditions and to financial, business, legislative, regulatory and other factors beyond our control. We might not be able to maintain a level of cash flows from operating activities sufficient to permit us to pay the principal, premium, if any, and interest on our indebtedness. For information regarding the risks to our business that could impair our ability to satisfy our obligations under our indebtedness, see “-Risks Relating to Our Business.” If our cash flows and capital resources are insufficient to fund our debt service obligations, we could face substantial liquidity problems and could be forced to reduce or delay investments and capital expenditures or to dispose of material assets or operations, seek additional debt or equity capital or restructure or refinance our indebtedness. We may not be able to affect any such alternative measures on commercially reasonable terms or at all and, even if successful, those alternative actions may not allow us to meet our scheduled debt service obligations. The agreements governing our indebtedness restrict our ability to dispose of assets and use the proceeds from those dispositions and also restrict our ability to raise debt capital to be used to repay other indebtedness when it becomes due. We may not be able to consummate those dispositions or to obtain proceeds in an amount sufficient to meet any debt service obligations then due. Our inability to generate sufficient cash flows to satisfy our debt obligations, or to refinance our indebtedness on commercially reasonable terms or at all, would materially and adversely affect our financial condition and results of operations and our ability to satisfy our obligations under our indebtedness. If we cannot make scheduled payments on our debt, we will be in default and lenders could declare all outstanding principal and interest to be due and payable, the lenders under our Senior Credit Facilities could terminate their commitments to loan money, the lenders could foreclose against the assets securing their loans and we could be forced into bankruptcy or liquidation. All of these events could result in you losing some or all of the value of your investment. The terms of the agreements governing our indebtedness restrict our current and future operations, particularly our ability to respond to changes or to take certain actions, which could harm our long-term interests. The agreements governing our Senior Credit Facilities contain a number of restrictive covenants that impose significant operating and financial restrictions on us and limit our ability to engage in actions that may be in our long-term best interests. These restrictions might hinder our ability to grow in accordance with our strategy. A breach of the covenants under the agreements governing our indebtedness could result in an event of default under those agreements. Such a default may allow certain creditors to accelerate the related debt and may result in the acceleration of any other debt to which a crossacceleration or cross-default provision applies. In the event the lenders accelerate the repayment of our borrowings, we and our subsidiaries may not have sufficient assets to repay that indebtedness. As a result of all of these restrictions, we may be: (i) limited in how we conduct our business; (ii) limited or unable to pay dividends to our stockholders in certain circumstances; (iii) unable to raise additional debt or equity financing to operate during general economic or business downturns; or (iv) unable to compete effectively or to take advantage of new business opportunities. 21 Our indebtedness has variable rates of interest, which could subject us to interest rate risk or cause our debt service obligations to increase significantly. Borrowings under the Senior ABL Facility are at variable rates of interest and, to the extent LIBOR exceeds 1.00%, borrowings under our Senior Term Facility are at variable rates of interest, which could expose us to interest rate risk. Interest rates have been at historically low levels. If interest rates increase, our future debt service obligations on the variable rate portion of our indebtedness would increase even though the amount borrowed remains the same, and our net income and cash flows, including cash available for servicing our indebtedness, will correspondingly decrease. Assuming all revolving loans are fully drawn under our Senior Credit Facilities and LIBOR exceeds 1.00%, each quarter point change in interest rates would result in a $1.2 million change in annual interest expense on our indebtedness. In the future, we may enter into interest rate swaps that involve the exchange of floating for fixed rate interest payments in order to reduce future interest rate volatility. However, due to risks for hedging gains and losses and cash settlement costs, we may elect not to maintain such interest rate swaps with respect to any of our variable rate indebtedness, and any swaps we enter into may not fully mitigate our interest rate risk. Risks Related to Tribune Media Company’s Emergence from Bankruptcy We may not be able to settle, on a favorable basis or at all, unresolved claims filed in connection with the Chapter 11 proceedings and resolve the appeals seeking to overturn the order confirming the Plan. On December 31, 2012, TCO and 110 of its direct and indirect wholly-owned subsidiaries (collectively, the “Debtors”) that had filed voluntary petitions for relief under Chapter 11 of title 11 of the United States Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware (the “Bankruptcy Court”) on December 8, 2008 (or on October 12, 2009, in the case of Tribune CNLBC, LLC) emerged from Chapter 11. Certain of the legal entities included in the Consolidated and Combined Financial Statements of Tribune Publishing were Debtors or, as a result of the restructuring transactions undertaken at the time of the Debtors’ emergence, are successor legal entities to legal entities that were Debtors. See Note 2 to the Consolidated and Combined Financial Statements for further information. On March 16, 2015 and July 24, 2015, the Chapter 11 estates of 88 and 8, respectively, of the Debtors were closed by a final decree issued by the Bankruptcy Court. The remainder of the Debtors’ Chapter 11 cases, including several of the Tribune Publishing Debtors’ cases, have not yet been closed by the Bankruptcy Court, and certain claims asserted against the Debtors in the Chapter 11 cases remain unresolved. As a result, we expect to continue to incur certain expenses pertaining to the Chapter 11 proceedings in future periods, which may be material. On April 12, 2012, the Debtors, the official committee of unsecured creditors and creditors under certain TCO prepetition debt facilities filed the Fourth Amended Joint Plan of Reorganization for Tribune Company and its Subsidiaries (subsequently amended and modified, the “Plan”) with the Bankruptcy Court. On July 23, 2012, the Bankruptcy Court issued an order confirming the Plan (the “Confirmation Order”). Several notices of appeal of the Confirmation Order have been filed. The appellants seek, among other relief, to overturn the Confirmation Order and certain prior orders of the Bankruptcy Court, including the settlement of certain claims and causes of action related to the Leveraged ESOP Transactions that was embodied in the Plan (see Note 2 to the Consolidated and Combined Financial Statements for further information). There is currently no stay of the Confirmation Order in place pending resolution of the confirmation-related appeals. In January 2013, TCO filed a motion before the Delaware District Court to dismiss the appeals as equitably moot, based on the substantial consummation of the Plan. On June 18, 2014 the Delaware District Court entered an order granting in part and denying in part the motion to dismiss. On July 16, 2014, notices of appeal of the Delaware District Court’s order were filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit by Aurelius, Law Debenture, and Deutsche Bank. On August 19, 2015, the Third Circuit affirmed the Delaware District Court’s dismissal of Aurelius’s appeal of the Confirmation Order. The Third Circuit, however, reversed the Delaware District Court’s dismissal of Law Debenture’s and Deutsche Bank’s appeals of the Confirmation Order, and remanded those appeals for further proceedings on the merits. On September 11, 2015, the Third Circuit denied Aurelius’s petition for en banc review of the court’s decision and on January 11, 2016, Aurelius filed a petition for writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. That petition remains pending. If the appellants succeed on appeal, including any appeal of the Third Circuit’s order, our financial condition may be adversely affected. 22 Risks Relating to our Common Stock and the Securities Market Certain provisions of our certificate of incorporation, by-laws, the agreements relating to the Distribution, and Delaware law may discourage takeovers. Our amended and restated certificate of incorporation and amended and restated by-laws contain certain provisions that may discourage, delay or prevent a change in our management or control over us. For example, our amended and restated certificate of incorporation and amended and restated by-laws, collectively: • authorize the issuance of “blank check” preferred stock that could be issued by our Board of Directors to thwart a takeover attempt; • provide that vacancies on our Board of Directors, including vacancies resulting from an enlargement of our Board of Directors, may be filled only by a majority vote of directors then in office; • prohibit stockholders from calling special meetings of stockholders; • prohibit stockholder action by written consent; • establish advance notice requirements for nominations of candidates for elections as directors or to bring other business before an annual meeting of our stockholders; and • require the approval of holders of at least 66 2/3 % of the outstanding shares of our common stock to amend certain provisions of our amended and restated certificate of incorporation or to amend our amended and restated by-laws. These provisions could discourage potential acquisition proposals and could delay or prevent a change in control, even though a majority of stockholders may consider such proposal, if effected, desirable. Such provisions could also make it more difficult for third parties to remove and replace the members of the Board of Directors. Moreover, these provisions may inhibit increases in the trading price of our common stock that may result from takeover attempts or speculation. Under the tax matters agreement, we have agreed to indemnify TCO for certain tax related matters, and we may be unable to take certain actions after the Distribution. See “Risks Relating to the Distribution.” We will be unable to take certain actions because such actions could jeopardize the tax-free status of the Distribution, and such restrictions could be significant. In addition, the agreements relating to the Distribution, including the separation and distribution agreement, the tax matters agreement, the employee matters agreement and the transition services agreement, cover specified indemnification and other matters that may arise after the Distribution. These agreements may have the effect of discouraging or preventing an acquisition of us or a disposition of our business. Our largest stockholder may have interests that differ from other stockholders. Merrick Media, LLC (“Merrick Media”) beneficially owned, as of March 10, 2016, approximately 16.5% of the outstanding common stock of the Company. The interests of Merrick Media and its affiliates may differ from those of the Company’s other stockholders. Merrick Media and its affiliates are in the business of making investments in companies and maximizing the return on those investments. They currently have, and may from time to time in the future acquire, interests in businesses that directly or indirectly compete with certain aspects of our business or that supply us with goods and services. Michael W. Ferro, Jr., the non-executive Chairman of our Board of Directors, is the manager of Merrick Venture Management, LLC, which is the sole manager of Merrick Media. Mr. Ferro was elected to fill a newly-created vacancy on our Board of Directors in connection with Merrick Media’s purchase in a private placement of $44.4 million of our common stock on February 3, 2016. In connection with the private placement, the Company also granted Merrick Media the right, subject to certain conditions, to designate a replacement individual for election as a director in the event that Mr. Ferro is unable to continue to serve as a director. As a result of its stock ownership and Board representation, Merrick Media may be able to influence corporate actions such as mergers or takeover attempts. 23 Substantial sales of our common stock or the perception that such sales might occur, could depress the market price of our common stock. Any sales of substantial amounts of our common stock in the public market, including resales by our investors such as those to whom we have granted registration rights, or the perception that such sales might occur, could depress the market price of our common stock. There is no assurance that there will be sufficient buying interest to offset any such sales, and, accordingly, the price of our common stock may be depressed by those sales and have periods of volatility. The market price for our common stock may be volatile. Many factors could cause the trading price of our common stock to rise and fall, including the following: (i) declining newspaper print circulation; (ii) declining operating revenues derived from our core business; (iii) variations in quarterly results; (iv) announcements regarding dividends; (v) announcements of technological innovations by us or by competitors; (vi) introductions of new products or services or new pricing policies by us or by competitors; (vii) acquisitions or strategic alliances by us or by competitors; (viii) recruitment or departure of key personnel or key groups of personnel; (ix) the gain or loss of significant advertisers or other customers; (x) changes in the estimates of our operating performance or changes in recommendations by any securities analysts that elect to follow our stock; and (xi) market conditions in the newspaper industry, the media industry, the industries of our customers, and the economy as a whole. We have suspended the payment of cash dividends on our outstanding common stock, and our ability to pay dividends in the future is subject to limitations. On February 4, 2016, we announced the suspension of our quarterly common stock cash dividend in order to preserve capital to provide us with increased financial flexibility while funding our growth strategy. Any future determination to declare and pay dividends will be made at the discretion of our Board of Directors after taking into account our financial results, capital requirements and other factors the Board may deem relevant. In addition, because we are a holding company with no material direct operations, we are dependent on loans, dividends and other payments from our operating subsidiaries to generate the funds necessary to pay distributions to us in an amount sufficient for us to pay dividends. Our subsidiaries’ ability to make such distributions will be subject to their operating results, cash requirements and financial condition and the applicable provisions of Delaware law that may limit the amount of funds available for distribution to us. Our ability to pay future cash dividends also will be subject to covenants and financial ratios related to existing or future indebtedness, including under our Senior Credit Facilities, and other agreements with third parties. If securities or industry analysts do not publish research or publish misleading or unfavorable research about our business, our stock price and trading volume could decline. The trading market for our common stock depends in part on the research and reports that securities or industry analysts publish about us or our business. If one or more of the security or industry analysts downgrades our stock, ceases coverage of our company, fails to publish reports on us regularly, or publishes misleading or unfavorable research about our business, demand for our stock may decrease, which could cause our stock price or trading volume to decline. Our amended and restated certificate of incorporation designates the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware as the exclusive forum for certain litigation that may be initiated by our stockholders, which could limit our stockholders’ ability to obtain a favorable judicial forum for disputes with us. Our amended and restated certificate of incorporation provides that the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware will be the sole and exclusive forum for (i) any derivative action or proceeding brought on our behalf, (ii) any action asserting a claim of breach of a fiduciary duty owed to us or our stockholders by any of our directors, officers, employees or agents, (iii) any action asserting a claim against us arising under the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware (the “DGCL”), our amended and restated certificate of incorporation or our amended and restated by-laws or (iv) any action asserting a claim against us that is governed by the internal affairs doctrine. By becoming a stockholder in our company, you will be deemed to have notice of and have consented to the provisions of our amended and restated certificate of incorporation related to choice of forum. The choice of forum provision in our amended and restated certificate of incorporation may limit our stockholders’ ability to obtain a favorable judicial forum for disputes with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.