Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The take away for me is that Fidelity is not a disinterested middle-man and that you have to pay attention to what they are doing. Cross-shopping their rates and moving securities to other firms when warranted seems wise.

Regarding risk, it seems like Fidelity was a little "loosey goosey" regarding their procedures (tough to know since I am not in the business). In extreme situations, perhaps the mechanics of the arrangement might not act in precisely the same way or same timeframe as expected or hoped.

Indications from the recently-released short interest figures suggest that shorts are covering.

I don't know of a way to quantify the people lending shares.

I can understand shorts hopping out of TSLA due to the Model 3 lines, but am a little surprised at seeing SCTY shorts decrease as the share price has increased. I guess the 100%+ rebate rate may have spooked them a bit.

Last edited:
Short interest with settlement date of April 15, according to NASDAQ:

TSLA @ 29.1 million shares, down from 32.3 million shares; and
SCTY @ 23.6 million shares, down from 23.7 million shares

Fidelity made another adjustment to SCTY...

Lend TSLA: 1.50%
Lend SCTY: 15.25%

• Informative
Reactions: kenliles
Just in case this is of any interest... Zero Hedge piece posted around 5PM regarding short interest and pending results. ZH may be hated here, I don't know as I'm new. Just sayin'. LINK

No hate for Zero Hedge but I sure do get tired of the same bear arguments, which this article is full of. Meaningless phrases like "priced to perfection", using market value divided by units sold to compare a disruptive growth company with a stagnant 100-year-old company, full of subjective terms like "gimmicky" and "erratic". Nothing that we haven't seen over and over for the past 3 years.

Reactions: CoastalCruiser
Understood Mike C. Yes, definitely subjective.

I liked this statement: That may be the case, but Tesla had roughly the same number of shorts when the stock price was below $50: anyone who has kept their short position since then has been crushed.

Reactions: MikeC
Short interest with settlement date of April 29, according to NASDAQ:

TSLA @ 28.4 million shares down from 29.1 million shares; and
SCTY @ 21.7 million shares down from 23.6 million shares.

SCTY seems to have turned the corner at Fidelity...

Lend SCTY: 13.00%

• Informative
Reactions: dakh and MikeC
Lend SCTY: 15.00%

Thought that all the shorts would have covered on SCTY with the recent fall, but it appears that they did the opposite. Or maybe there is some non-obvious factor at play.

• Informative
Reactions: dakh