Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How narrow of a band are you thinking?

I think there is no way that they remain in the same narrow band (say 200-260, or whatever) until actually delivering 400k a year. There is no good reason why this stock should not trade at least at 5x revenues (currently at 7.75x). They look poised to make $8+ billion in revenue this year, which means $40B market cap, which means new ATH by next February, unless something goes terribly wrong.

The price/revenue figure is one that I've followed closely the past 3 years with TSLA. Yes, the past 4 quarters show that we're above 7x revenues, but that figure is misleading due to the growth rate. For 2016, we should see roughly 8bil in revenue which puts the number below 4x. Stalwart stocks like MO are trading at 5x. Of course, ICE manufacturers like F trade at around 1/3x. Which brings us back to the age-old argument that if TSLA is just another car company, it is wildly overpriced. But if it is anything other than a traditional car company, than it is wildly underpriced.

Reactions: Lessmog
Maybe you're right. I've been assuming that revenues will be ignored by the short-sellers and bears, who will say "Tesla is losing $XXX on each car argle-bargle". I figure expenditures will be increasing as fast as revenues for this year and most of the next (more service centers, more superchargers, factory construction, final R&D for Model 3, Tesla Energy R&D, etc. etc.) and so the revenues will be ignored by the market. But I could be wrong.

I really am expecting TSLA to trade in the 200-260 band for a long time. Once it becomes clear to everyone that they really are shipping 500,000 cars per year, profitably, I expect it to *skyrocket* in a fairly short timeframe. But it's possible I'm wrong and that the markets will recognize part of the value before then.

I think we have a bimodal distribution of traders in the market for Tesla. We have people who think Tesla will do very well, and people who think Tesla will do really badly, and both groups are quite sure of themselves. There is basically nobody who thinks Tesla will have *middling* results. The stock will only be pulled one way or the other if there is a significant decrease or increase in the number of people (or amount of money) who are on one side or the other. I don't see most of the bears capitulating until Tesla proves its success by selling ~500,000 cars a year and reporting a profit. Though I suppose they could give up earlier, or a new wave of bulls could enter the stock.

Disagree, once they start manufacturing and ramping model 3 , way before they reach 500,000 cars, the
Stock will be untouchable . That is sky high.
Exponential growth will be preceeded by exponential price rise.

Reactions: Dwdnjck
Post 20000

Just sayin

Congratulations!!
upload_2016-6-16_9-57-10.png

Niedermeyer and Spiegel have been flirting on Twitter. Spiegel is publically short TSLA. Is Niedermeyer legally in the clear if he has no position but publishes lies and fraud about a company that his buddy has shorted?
Is it really as simple as needing a 2 man team, one with the financial interest, one doing the manipulation, and afterwards they share the spoils?

Perhaps worth noting in (y)our SEC complaints.

Mohammed El Erian just came in CNBC and said we won't see a Fed Funds Rate of 5% in his lifetime. Keep that cash under your mattress.

Wait, doesn't that actually indicate that you should NOT keep that cash under your mattress? I mean, if they are printing it like crazy and expanding the balance sheets, the cold hard cash under the mattress is actually quickly turning into toilet paper. You probably meant "keep those gold bars hidden away!" or "keep that Bitcoin in your digital wallet offline!".

Arg! It was 20,000 when it was submitted!

Someone definitely got an earlier post moved to Snippiness, just ANTICIPATING that I'd try for 20,000. Probably all part of the same group that keeps faking the SpaceX booster landings.

I did see your post at #20,000 so you are in the right! :D

I have the feeling Brexit headwind could push TSLA under $200, which is stupid. But that makes for a great buying opportunity.

Definitely agree. The timing will certainly be rough because delivery numbers and Gigafactory "opening" are (in my opinion) huge positive catalysts that may start our slow march back upwards. There may not be "good" short-term exits before Brexit, and of course the decision itself could wreak short-term havoc on macro in general.

For my shorter/medium term shares, if Brexit doesn't happen I'll be looking for rapid re-entry before June ends. If it happens I may cost average back in but unsure which points to buy at.

Reactions: JamesTSLA
Wait, doesn't that actually indicate that you should NOT keep that cash under your mattress? I mean, if they are printing it like crazy and expanding the balance sheets, the cold hard cash under the mattress is actually quickly turning into toilet paper. You probably meant "keep those gold bars hidden away!" or "keep that Bitcoin in your digital wallet offline!".

Cash under mattress because the interest rate will have to go negative. So banks will start charging money to store money and you might as well keep cash under your mattress

I did see your post at #20,000 so you are in the right! :D

Definitely agree. The timing will certainly be rough because delivery numbers and Gigafactory "opening" are (in my opinion) huge positive catalysts that may start our slow march back upwards. There may not be "good" short-term exits before Brexit, and of course the decision itself could wreak short-term havoc on macro in general.

For my shorter/medium term shares, if Brexit doesn't happen I'll be looking for rapid re-entry before June ends. If it happens I may cost average back in but unsure which points to buy at.

Like your strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.