Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. truck was at fault since the news report indicates charges were pending and clearly the truck was blocking oncoming traffic!

Let me repeat that... The truck was blocking oncoming highway traffic!

Of course the tesla has the right-of-way on its highway lane. It's HIS lane

Now clearly the trucker didn't see the tesla and trucker failed to yield.

Likewise, the tesla driver didn't see the truck in his lane in time to brake or avoid the full length of a perpendicular tractor and trailer across the lanes of the highway. Looks like the tesla would've had to completely leave his lane and maybe even the highway to avoid the length of the semi truck.

Finally, I will say that it's possible but not likely that the tesla was significantly speeding. The car logs would indicate that. The police interview didn't cite that reason and tesla motors would've known that too. So, we can rule out "gross speeding".

The report indicated "charges pending". Logically who is the more likely party to be charged based on what we know? The car in its lane or the truck blocking a highway lane??? Really?

I have not seen the police report or more data. Has the police determined who was at fault? If you have further details, please provide a link.

I was found at fault once for hitting a bicyclist riding on the wrong side of the road! Fortunately, it was at very low speed when making a right turn. So, I won't be so dismissive. Here, the truck was making a legal left turn.The insurance companies will try very hard to prove the other party at fault. Your conclusion "Clearly, trucker didn't see the Tesla", is that based on some statement from the trucker?

Just because you are driving in your lane doesn't mean you can keep going. There could be animals, pedestrians, stopped trucks, anything. The driver is supposed to watch out and take actions for these.
Here is what CA DMV handbook says. I emphasized the two pieces impoartant for the two parties.
California Driver Handbook - Laws and Rules of the Road
Driving through an intersection is one of the most complex traffic situations motorists encounter. Intersection collisions account for more than 45% of all reported crashes and 21% of fatalities according to the Federal Highway Administration.

• At intersections without “STOP” or “YIELD” signs, slow down and be ready to stop. Yield to traffic and pedestrians already in the intersection or just entering the intersection. Also, yield to the vehicle or bicycle that arrives first, or to the vehicle or bicycle on your right if it reaches the intersection at the same time as you.
  • At “T” intersections without “STOP” or “YIELD” signs, yield to traffic and pedestrians on the through road. They have the right-of-way.
  • When you turn left, give the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching that are close enough to be dangerous. Also, look for motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
Safety suggestion: While waiting to turn left, keep your wheels pointed straight ahead until it is safe to start your turn. If your wheels are pointed to the left, and a vehicle hits you from behind, you could be pushed into oncoming traffic.

• When you turn right, be sure to check for pedestrians who want to cross the street and bicyclists riding next to you.
  • On divided highways or highways with several lanes, watch for vehicles coming in any lane you cross. Turn either left or right only when it is safe.
  • When there are “STOP” signs at all corners, stop first and then follow the rules listed above.
  • If you have parked on the side of the road or are leaving a parking lot, etc., yield to traffic before reentering the road.

Last edited:
I have not seen the police report or more data. Has the police determined who was at fault? If you have further details, please provide a link.

I was found at fault once for hitting a bicyclist riding on the wrong side of the road! So, I won't be so dismissive. Here, the truck was making a legal left turn.The insurance companies will try very hard to prove that the other party was at fault. J
ust because you are driving in your lane doesn't mean you can keep going. There could be animals, pedestrians, stopped trucks, anything. The driver is supposed to watch out and take actions for these.

Do you understand "right of way"?

This was the quote

"If the Autopilot system didn’t recognize the tractor trailer, then Tesla will have to recall the cars to fix the flaw, said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, an advocacy group in Washington. Ditlow said that Tesla’s Autopilot system needs to be able to recognize all possible road conditions.

“That’s a clear-cut defect and there should be a recall,” Ditlow said in a phone interview. “When you put Autopilot in a vehicle, you’re telling people to trust the system even if there is lawyerly warning to keep your hands on the wheel."

On Bloomberg front page. Don't shoot the messenger but just curious.

Do people not fact check anymore. The guy from Ohio (brown) is NOT the same in this tragic incident which occurred in Florida. If I'm wrong please link me to a definitive source.

As I noted in post #22419, this was published in the Levy County (Florida) Journal:

In a separate crash on May 7 at 3:40 p.m. on U.S. 27 near the BP Station west of Williston, a 45-year-old Ohio man was killed when he drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel semi.
The top of Joshua Brown’s 2015 Tesla Model S vehicle was torn off by the force of the collision.

Please provide the source for your assertion that the men are NOT the same. Perhaps they are not, but all of Brown's interest in Tesla autopilot as demonstrated at his YouTube channel leads one infer that they are quite likely the same.

Last edited:
Is anyone else concerned about a recall of all model S's? The Bloomberg article suggested it was likely. I'm assuming a recall would bring us down to $160 or so.

Zero concern. Zip, nada, No way. Would you recall the autopilot software? The car is safe and after 130 million miles we've found one way that a driver could perish with autopilot in command, even though the driver is required to be in command.

This was the quote

"If the Autopilot system didn’t recognize the tractor trailer, then Tesla will have to recall the cars to fix the flaw, said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, an advocacy group in Washington. Ditlow said that Tesla’s Autopilot system needs to be able to recognize all possible road conditions.

“That’s a clear-cut defect and there should be a recall,” Ditlow said in a phone interview. “When you put Autopilot in a vehicle, you’re telling people to trust the system even if there is lawyerly warning to keep your hands on the wheel."

They don't know what they are talking about.

I
As I noted in post #22419, this was published in the Levy County (Florida) Journal:

In a separate crash on May 7 at 3:40 p.m. on U.S. 27 near the BP Station west of Williston, a 45-year-old Ohio man was killed when he drove under the trailer of an 18-wheel semi.
The top of Joshua Brown’s 2015 Tesla Model S vehicle was torn off by the force of the collision.

Please provide the source for your assertion that the men are NOT the same. Perhaps they are not, but all of Brown's interest in Tesla autopilot as demonstrated at his YouTube channel leads one infer that they are quite likely the same.

I stand corrected. I thought the accident happened last night, but the preliminary investigation was opened last night. Thanks for that.

This was the quote

Should all cars with cruise control be recalled? Cruise control and autopilot provide assistance, but are not yet the ultimate decision makers. The instructions make that clear.

In this case with Tesla, an over-the-air software upgrade will undoubtedly be sent to cars that causes autopilot to better recognize semi-trailers perpendicular to a road. No need to recall cars into Tesla's company owned service centers. With other automakers, their franchised dealerships demand that recalls be handled at the dealerships and not through over-the-air software upgrades.

Earlier today 2 crashes in my neighborhood. One was at a notorious intersection where a street crosses a real divided limited access highway. They even have a traffic light there, but no one expects to be doing 50-60 (Or speeders doing 70-80) on a limited access highway and then come to a stop light. Two people were injured in this one. No mention of the car brands or whether they were using any technology if their ICE cars had anything beyond cruise control. The State wants to close this intersection because of all the accidents that keep occurring there but the locals keep fighting it. The other was a Cadillac that jumped a curb on our town's Main Street and crashed into a building. Is GM stock taking a dump today because of this crash? Why not? (Hint: No one is paying anyone to troll GM).

This was the quote

Is cruise control going to be recalled on all other cars because it doesn't automatically brake for cars stopping in front of you on other cars?

No?

So why would the same apply to autopilot? It's all about the legal language, warnings, and responsibility given in this case. Many many other automakers have the same capabilities of autopilot in their cars--they just happen to be much less reliable, but they're not held responsible for accidents like this. Why should Tesla?

There is no "recall" involved. At all. Elon tweeted that the virtually stationary truck was observed by radar as a overhead road signage. If ANYTHING it would be a disabling and then software update. It has been claimed that AP has saved far more lives than have been lost. In my own experience, it has avoided multiple fender-benders, though no potential fatalities.

Look, I totally agree here and know a recall would be pointless. But what incentive does the director of the Center for Auto Safety have to say a recall is necessary? Chalk it up to total ignorance of autopilot? Either way I think on a short term movement thread it is important to discuss even if the chance of a recall is small.

Because like many bureaucrats he's a moron and speaks about things he doesn't understand.

Look, I totally agree here and know a recall would be pointless. But what incentive does the director of the Center for Auto Safety have to say a recall is necessary? Chalk it up to total ignorance of autopilot? Either way I think on a short term movement thread it is important to discuss even if the chance of a recall is small.

did he say anything about the safety of high riding tractor trailers?

Reactions: replicant
Status
Not open for further replies.