Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think the market reaction will be if Tesla narrows guidance to the lower end? I think there is a very good chance that they "lower" guidance from 80-90 to 80-85 in Q2 earnings. The more I think about it, the more I think the response will be muted.

Reasons: (i) they pretty much already guided to this in the deliveries numbers release by saying 50kish to be delivered in the second half of 2016, (ii) the street already didn't believe the upper end of guidance from the day it was published, with many analysts wondering if 80k was even possible, (iii) it's still within the range so it's not really lowering and (iv) even if just 80k is hit that's extremely impressive 60% YoY growth.

Thoughts?

My take as a watcher.

The stock will migrate up the closer we get to ER (Aug 3 Wed).

The stock will drop after ER and return to 200 ?

I am still hoping for one last opportunity for catalyst, i.e. steak (July 29 Fri).

Cripes! How much bad news can you be expecting in Q2ER that wasn't already priced in?

Cripes! How much bad news can you be expecting in Q2ER that wasn't already priced in?
My biggest concerns are:

- lowered guidance (covered in earlier post, shouldn't come as a surprise)
- stagnant margins (not likely, IMO, still pumping out high price X with resolve ramp issues toward end of quarter, 60 introduced too late to knock margins down)
- EPS miss due to ramped SGA costs/OpEx/CapEx but timing of deliveries didn't make end of quarter as expected (biggest fear is this, but cash flow from ops due to ABL from masive deliveries in transit - plus model 3 reservation cashflow - should factor in to show a very shiny number there)

It's very much a wildcard. I keep going back and forth as to expected outcome of the call.

My biggest concerns are:

- lowered guidance (covered in earlier post, shouldn't come as a surprise)
- stagnant margins (not likely, IMO, still pumping out high price X with resolve ramp issues toward end of quarter, 60 introduced too late to knock margins down)
- EPS miss due to ramped SGA costs/OpEx/CapEx but timing of deliveries didn't make end of quarter as expected (biggest fear is this, but cash flow from ops due to ABL from masive deliveries in transit - plus model 3 reservation cashflow - should factor in to show a very shiny number there)

It's very much a wildcard. I keep going back and forth as to expected outcome of the call.

It is a 'crap shoot' trying to predict how this ER will affect the SP. I have been wrong as often as right. If EM pulls 'the rabbit (SCTY merger ) out of his hat on the CC the stock could go up.

I did sell all my calls/leaps today.

IMO, if we get a good CC we could see a 5-10% gain...but I think it more likely we see a dip.

Good luck to all.

Anyone going to the GF party..have a good time and posts your thoughts and pics

What does everyone think the market reaction will be if Tesla narrows guidance to the lower end? I think there is a very good chance that they "lower" guidance from 80-90 to 80-85 in Q2 earnings.
Why would they do that?

AlMc said:
Based on this I will be exiting my call positions (including LEAPS) over the next two days..taking profit, luckily. I will buy back LEAPS, hopefully at a lower price after the ER. I will leave my stock intact to catch any increase in the SP if my theory is incorrect.
Are your LEAPS green?

I'm thinking of replacing my J2018's with more J2017's or maybe Mar2017's, but costing less $, to catch any upswings between now and a good time to buy 2019's.

I'm not convinced it's going down now, so I'm not planning to do that now,

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: TMSE
Via Fidelity newsfeed:

BOSTON, July 28 (Reuters) - Fidelity's OTC Portfolio, a top investor in Tesla Motors Inc(TSLA), gave the electric car maker a vote of confidence in its latest commentary, saying it boosted its position in the company during the second quarter.

"We are fans not just of Tesla products but of the concepts underpinning the firm and potential future partnerships ahead of it," Fidelity OTC portfolio manager Gavin Baker said in his quarterly commentary for investors. "We foresee fruitful synergies between Tesla and any company in search of superior battery technology, and we modestly increased our position this quarter."

Fidelity posted the commentary on its website on Wednesday

Okay what is your take, what do you think the stock will do before and after ER?

Thanks.

I'm relatively new to this, so I wouldn't recommend anyone else base any investing decisions on my thesis, but here goes:

I think you're probably right it will creep up to the ER (though we might have another Monday morning pop based on the GF party tomorrow night).

I think that everyone expects the ER to be lackluster, given the lackluster delivery numbers we got a month ago. TE might surprise though. Consequently, I think the expectation means weak performance is already priced in, and so unless there is REALLY bad news, any dip as a result should be fairly muted. If TE surprises, it could pop.

If we get a tidbit about Q3 guidance and that we're on schedule to ship ~25k cars in Q3 (ie. we've already shipped 8-9k cars in July), things could pop.

My plan was to exit most but not all of my short term position on Monday or Tuesday after the GF party has a chance to impact the market but before the ER on Wednesday. My longer term position I'll just hang on to because I'm certain it'll pan out by next year.

Why would they do that?

Are your LEAPS green?

I'm thinking of replacing my J2018's with more J2017's or maybe Mar2017's, but costing less $, to catch any upswings between now and a good time to buy 2019's.

I'm not convinced it's going down now,, so I'm not planning to do that now,

Good luck everyone!

Yes. Green but not as much as expected. Made about 20% if you average them together.
Decided the ER is too uncertain and I have been known to hold on too long expecting for 'big' returns.
I actually emptied all my option positions today except a small AAPL leap that is 'break even' at this point.
So, no more FB, TSLA or N options..

I will watch with interest the Q2 ER without any options. Less stressful that way.

I do expect a good Q3 but while we may get some 'color'on how that looks from EM on the Q2 CC, we won't have firm numbers until early Octobet.

I will get back into J18s between now and Seotember...

Why would they do that?

Why would they narrow guidance in Q2? Well, given the X issues and late ramp, the higher end of the 80-90 range looks pretty unlikely, so they have to guide for what's likely. Also, they have now reached (or are approaching) steady state production so they probably have a much clearer idea re: what actual deliveries will look like by the end of the year. Thus guidance should narrow here or in Q3 (even if they determine they are still on track for midpoint, in which case it would narrow to 82.5-87.5). Note that they switched up guidance from 55k to 50-55k in Q2 of 2015, so there's definitely precedent for revisiting annual guidance at this point in the year.

Yes. Green but not as much as expected. Made about 20% if you average them together.
Decided the ER is too uncertain and I have been known to hold on too long expecting for 'big' returns.
I actually emptied all my option positions today except a small AAPL leap that is 'break even' at this point.
So, no more FB, TSLA or N options..

I will watch with interest the Q2 ER without any options. Less stressful that way.

I do expect a good Q3 but while we may get some 'color'on how that looks from EM on the Q2 CC, we won't have firm numbers until early Octobet.

I will get back into J18s between now and Seotember...

This ER reminds me of the last doom and gloom one. When the ER actually happened there was a relief rally because the news was as bad as expected and the upcoming news had a bullish bias. This setup feels the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.