Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They ran a few ads in China. We do know they had a demand problem in China (due to bad employees, who have since been fired) prior to that. So yeah...
If you consider them throwing a small party and handing out some gifts (around $20 per person) for celebrations of different kind of events (new store opens, anniversaries, 100th SC opening, Chinese traditional festivals, etc.) as ads then yes they ran a few ads in China. Other than that I haven't heard or seen any paid ads from Tesla China. I've seen some other companies doing ads with Tesla in it (like having a Model S as a prize, or advertising a financial plan for buying a Tesla) though. Tesla definitely promote themselves in China though, but it's all via social media which is free.

I believe Tesla paid to produce a few video pieces?

You're correct that they're not doing paid ad placement. Paying to make an ad (and then distributing it over free channels) is distinct from paying to place it, sorry about the lack of clarity.
Oh in this case it's totally possible. But wouldn't it be the same with Tesla's official YouTube channel videos and stuff like that?

Reactions: madodel
In regards to the powerwall 2.0, does anyone think that will released in the next few weeks?

On the earnings call, Elon said that the new power walls were due closer to the end of the year. When you put that together with another statement about how Tesla is reengineering their products assuming that the solar city deals going through it makes you think that the new generation power wall products are engineered for the solar city panels

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
On the Solar City ER call, Elon actually mentioned "Solar Roof", not shingles. My understanding is that it could be engineered roof with panels replacing both substructure and shingles.

In the SCTY conf call today Musk talked a lot about the "making roofs", but I don't think they once mentioned shingles. Made me wonder if they are just going to make something that would just snap onto the trusses or something with no need for shingles or tarpaper etc. We'll find out I guess.

Solarcity is currently making Silevo solar panels in their pilot plant in Fremont and will be making them in volume next year in Buffalo. The solar roof idea is something else. Couldn't find reference to solar shingles in the conference call. Must have read it somewhere else or, perhaps, solar roof reads like solar shingle. We'll find out soon enough.

But I'd argue July probably didn't have many non-customer cars since they apparently did a decent inventory run in Q2, post-refresh. I guess it's also possible that they skip VINs, but I haven't seen evidence of that.

A whole bunch of inventory on the Tesla website just showed up with VINs attributed in July... So we can adjust net orders for July down again with at least another 200 or so...

I must continually remember not be get cynical but it's hard. Remember how i spoke about the post 60-surge in early July? Well, those extra inventories take care of that. No surge now with days of over 200 VINs assigned but just the old regular stream of 120-150 VINs assigned per day on average.

Tesla is really aggressively pushing the inventories this quarter like they did in December of 2015. And it better works, because otherwise they will struggle to make 21k cars this quarter and I can't see the market believing they will deliver 29k in Q4. Well, it's time to start tracking inventory sizes too to get the full picture on sales. At is stands right now it has the possibility to swing the deliveries by as much as 500 units, quite significant.

Is my conclusion correct that SolarCity ER is neither blow out nor catastrophic thus having no effect on short term TSLA price movement?

Looks like it... They did beat on EPS estimates (smaller loss), but their cash cushion is quite slim so the promise that it's increasing (i.e. positive FCF) should in general show a positive trend, but it's a risk. Hence probably muted response.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Did not belive my eyes when they came across this. Audi is currently running an ad in Germany about their new smart phone interface being the innovation of the future.

Honestly, Audi is this your ad? Innovation?

Personally I am still waiting for your R8 that is so much better and cheaper than the current Tesla Model S P90D!

Reactions: madodel
A whole bunch of inventory on the Tesla website just showed up with VINs attributed in July... So we can adjust net orders for July down again with at least another 200 or so...

I would say "Net New Orders" still resides in my definition in the other thread. That being "a reservation that changed to a confirmed order". A sales site that confirms they want cars delivered there - or HQ pushing cars to a sales site would be a "net new order". If confirmation and the supporting Vin # assignment came in July, I suggest that inventory cars are "Net new orders". Just like in Q1, a whole lot of facelift inventory orders got Vin #s on 3/30/16.

Status
Not open for further replies.