Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIR Silevo panels have a lot less steep efficiency dropoff profile as they heat up.
Do you have technical links to tech sheets and compare to SPWR and SolarWorld?

Now, sure - maybe a roof shingle made with Silevo differs from Dow and Certainteed original junky shingles. But how does it compare with Solar modules from the top suppliers or even their own Silevo? I guess solar shingles is the next power-wall style "place your order, we will count up reservations and publish some sort of big number" thing. Where's the order page? Will they limit the # of entries per IP address?

• Funny
Reactions: mmd
How about they actually *build* the 5-seat orders, and the coil spring orders. They cannot even build certain models because of some reason. Appears that not enough SAS 6-7 seat orders are in the get Vin #s up through 20,000 assigned yet. Either there are 10,000-15,000 5-seat orders or something is wrong with the 30,000-35,000 "reservations" stated on 1/1/2016.

They tend to build the most expensive models first then do the lower options models, could they have been backloading all those cheaper 5 seaters? Also regarding demand, I haven't been tracking the numbers or anything so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems possible that X demand is higher than S right now and maybe as a permanent trend if you think of how much the market has gone toward SUVs over time and since the quality issues should be pretty much figured out now which probably kept some reservation holders from configuring.

Now, sure - maybe a roof shingle made with Silevo differs from Dow and Certainteed original junky shingles. But how does it compare with Solar modules from the top suppliers or even their own Silevo? I guess solar shingles is the next power-wall style "place your order, we will count up reservations and publish some sort of big number" thing. Where's the order page? Will they limit the # of entries per IP address?

At this point I'm not too keen on digging in the details and I'm fine to concede that I don't know but if they started talking about this to public they probably have something in at least prototype form that is working well enough. Maybe they combine with heating system, maybe active cooling, we just don't know. What we do know is they're confident enough to hint on product reveal. Good enough for me.

Reactions: MitchJi and TMSE

How about we wait for the tech sheets and price per installed kW before we take a dump on them?

Solar shingles makes a lot of sense in Tesla stores. As oposed, say, to SunPower panels, which are big, industrial-looking, and unwieldy. Shingles are things people understand, they don't take up a lot of space, and they can be creatively arranged in merchandising displays that are pleasing to consumers.

I've always had this pet theory that one reason Apple never got into flat-panel TVs is they're too big, and they'd wreak havoc on the store design of Apple's stores. (Plus, people couldn't walk out of the store with a huge 80" TV in a trendy Apple bag.)

Bottom line: I believe solar shingles will fit in well with Tesla's stores; they have the room for them, and they comprise a key part of what's becoming a compelling "we're here to save the planet by transforming energy into sustainable methods that protect our climate and your kids' lives" narrative.

At this point I'm not too keen on digging in the details and I'm fine to concede that I don't know but if they started talking about this to public they probably have something in at least prototype form that is working well enough. Maybe they combine with heating system, maybe active cooling, we just don't know. What we do know is they're confident enough to hint on product reveal. Good enough for me.

I would love to see all new homes built with say 3KW of "pre-installed, pre-configured and simple" Solar PV. But the overall issue is who gets the ITC 30%? The builder? And who gets the SRECs? Homeowner, most likely. The result is more new homes having less impact on the grid resources already in place as new areas are built-out or new apartment complexes are setup. The less a homeowner has to do, the less paperwork, the less they have to "do", the better. But builders want low low pricing. They will work with a supplier if the price is to their advantage.

Reactions: dakh
To me, the thing with solar shingles, is that they have to be designed in such a way that they are easily installed by people with limited electrical know-how.

I think that in order to maximize adoption, you have to make it so its essentially a plug and play thing for existing roofing companies to just pick up boxes of Tesla Solar Shingles, instead of whatever make of shingles they use today. I'm not sure what creative way you can package the technology to make it easy to use, but there's got to be a way.

• Informative
Reactions: larmor
To me, the thing with solar shingles, is that they have to be designed in such a way that they are easily installed by people with limited electrical know-how.

I think that in order to maximize adoption, you have to make it so its essentially a plug and play thing for existing roofing companies to just pick up boxes of Tesla Solar Shingles, instead of whatever make of shingles they use today. I'm not sure what creative way you can package the technology to make it easy to use, but there's got to be a way.

I'm hoping they're just like a roof full of oversized SD cards, and you just slide each into a slot, and move on to the next one.

What's better than homes installing solar shingles would be for the farmer in the community to convert 10 acres to high-density solar arrays in their fields and not producing corn for ethanol fuel for car engines. It is always by-far more efficient to do large scale, push-in racking installations of many acres of solar than to go and do thousands of homes to equal the same MW output. Easier to maintain, fewer people to "satisfy" and more.

A farmer can farm sunshine 12 months a year. Crops? Not so - only one or two crops can be done per year.

In other news, short interest in TSLA down sharply.

Settlement Date Short Interest Avg Daily Share Volume Days To Cover
7/29/2016 26,963,483 3,240,977 8.319554
7/15/2016 29,325,178 4,179,943 7.015688
6/30/2016 30,951,082 7,170,311 4.316561

Read more: Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Short Interest

There is this theory floating around that those who bought the convertible notes also hedged their trades by shorting TSLA and that they are unwinding it all by delivering shares with the proceeds from the conversion. Is that even plausible?

There is this theory floating around that those who bought the convertible notes also hedged their trades by shorting TSLA and that they are unwinding it all by delivering shares with the proceeds from the conversion. Is that even plausible?

I can't speak to plausibility, but my limited financial engineering brain is thinking that hedging the position via short shares of Tesla sounds outrageously expensive. Recent Fidelity rates have been in the 16% range to borrow TSLA to short. I know I wouldn't want to own that hedge for very long :)

4MM share delta here. 4MM times the original exercise price of 161.88 = just under $650M. The value their bonds went up would be against the net loss of the short shares. In the end, they may get cash plus shares they can close out their short positions with. I guess it could be a cause of some short interest evaporating.

Now, does the next 2.8 Billion in bonds also get backed by short shares? They booked the Feb 2014 bonds when pps was $250 follownig a lot of pumping by Adam Jonas. So they are up on share value by $20 and slight loss on bond value. That would be roughly 11.2 milion shares @ 250/share. Look back at short interest history and if you can find it, was it much less prior to February of 2014? Nasdaq only goes back to 2015. But someone would know.

I'll clarify my original question and post it again later.

Profitability-Quote-1 said:
Rod Lache - Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc.
Sounds like a lot of innovation there. One last just housekeeping thing for Elon or Jason. You'd previously talked about the objective of profitability in the fourth quarter, but I know a lot's changing with the mix and also with the direct leasing. So is that also something that we should think as being pushed out a quarter?

Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman and CEO
Well, if you exclude Model 3 CapEx ramp then – well in fact, really for Q3 and for Q4, Tesla would be profitable excluding the Model 3 CapEx ramp.

Profitability-Quote-2 said:
Tyler Charles Frank - Robert W. Baird & Co., Inc.
Two short questions. One, can you discuss when you expect to be profitable on a non-GAAP basis? And then number two, you had mentioned on the last call that the Gigafactory may actually have the ability to produce about three times of your original estimate. Will that entail significant CapEx in the future, or are you preparing that foundation right now to reach over 100 gigawatt hours? Thank you.

Jason S. Wheeler - Chief Financial Officer
Yeah, sure. On the profitability question, just reiterate what Elon said earlier. If we can execute on our production and our delivery goals in the second half of the year, we got a great chance to be non-GAAP profitable. So...

Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman and CEO
Yeah, excluding Model 3 CapEx. The real question on profitability is where do we set the dial on growth? And obviously, if you set the dial on growth to be super high, then you face dilution because of that increased capital. If you set it too low, there's less dilution but then you grow slower. So you want to set it at the right level where your – the right mix of dilution and growth. I mean, as it is, it's just important to bear in mind, like as a manufacturing company, our percentage growth, I think it's unprecedented in the modern era. It's really nutty.
<snip>
So it's just real important to parse things out and to understand what the real health of the business is. Right now, I mean in a nutshell, we're shipping $10 billion a year of product on an annualized basis at somewhere around 23% to 25% gross margin.
Last year Julian made a very convincing case that last summer and fall the following things would happen (simplified list):
1. MS and MX would both be produced in sufficient numbers to produce much higher income than the MS by itself.

2. TE production would provide an additional, substantial source of income.

3. Due additional two sources of income listed above (MX and TE) and the fact that M3 CapEx wouldn't be required Tesla would be cash flow positive. He thought the combination of these factors would trigger a squeeze.

I think that the first two items on the list are imminent (Q3...Q1). But we've got two dampers on the SP. The SCTY merger, which I think or hope when TE starts producing cash, the market will figure out is a huge plus and the M3 accelerated ramp.

My question is:
Given your (all opinions are wanted) expected situation over the next six month's, what is your opinion (a consensus would be great if possible) on the effect on the SP of Tesla announcing in Q3 or Q4 that they are "profitable excluding the Model 3 CapExX", or OpEx if Elon made a mistake.

I don't even care what the name of the accounting bucket is where the money ends up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.