Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking about 2017 (twice, now three times)? Do you really mean to say that they are capped at 70K yearly run, and will not deliver more than 70K in 2017?

The reason I didn't jump on the number 2017 for answering you was that 2017 is "far off in the future". This is a company that is watched daily, weekly and definitely quarterly. 2017 is a really hazy picture in terms of what will/can be done. We know they have talked about setting up and getting Model 3 assembly lines ready - and then starting to mass produce it by July 2017. If that doesn't happen, how many S and X buyers will come in to save the day by buying units to make up for any delays in Model 3. Perfection is assumed, but reality has many tentacles. Never assume perfection will occur. And so, now we see talk of new "solar roofs" as the next big thing. What I am waiting to see is will they put up a web page to "pre-order" a solar roof so they can announce some kind of order-interest like they did with powerwall.

• Disagree
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
In order to hit 80,000 this year, there needs to be a significant increase in the MX new order rate.

That's one way of hitting 80,000. Another way is simply for Model S demand to continue to grow as it has been quarter after quarter. The truth of the matter is that the mix of vehicle types to get to 80k does not matter. What should be of more importance (to the bottom line, which is really what's got people yammering about bankruptcy, cash burn, cash flow, capital raise, dilution, convertible bonds blah, blah, blah...) is a continued high optioning rate of whatever vehicle people order.

Incidentally, the form 13F data for Q2 are trickling in, and these largest holders were increasing their positions, including Fidelity (they mentioned by 9%), Baillie Gifford (by 9.54%, or 1.14M shares), Vanguard (by 13.4%, or 0.58M shares), Bank of Montreal (by 6.8%, or 0.31M shares).
Buying more shares is a nobrainer as long as they can collect 16% interest. It also doesn't make sense IMO if you are holding a large number of to refuse to get paid for loaning your shares. Unless your name is Elon your shares aren't going to make a difference in the SP. If you can recall them to vote or to exacerbate any squeeze why not profit from the shorts?

My opinion on MS-MX demand is if it's a problem Tesla can easily solve it by adding the HW required for autonomy. If you think MS-MX demand is even a possible problem then you can count on the M3 not being used to introduce full autonomy and the part 2 reveal coming later rather than sooner.

Last edited:
Another factor that should boost Model S/X sales are Tesla's acceleration of its plans to open new stores and service centers in 2H 2016 and 2017. This will likely show up more in 2017 sales figures but still should have a positive influence on Q3/4 2016 sales.

From the Q2 SH letter:

"We are also accelerating store openings and plan to add a new retail location every four days on average during the remainder of Q3 and through Q4. We are adding stores in new population-dense markets like Taipei, Seoul, and Mexico City, while also adding stores in our most mature markets like California. The quality of our new locations is also improving as many shopping malls now consider us the new standard for an anchor tenant based on the amount of foot traffic that we draw and our very high revenue per square foot."​

Reactions: stealthology
I don't understand why some people on this thread act as though Tesla "cheated" or did something underhanded by coming out with a new model or new tech which in turn increases sales. It's literally Tesla's entire business model and one of its primary competitive advantages. Tesla is a nimble car company and is constantly pushing the envelope and tweaking its product.

So, build it into your models, bears: Tesla will release additional AP hardware and a larger battery pack with increased range before the end of the year. This has been telegraphed for months. The new offerings will increase demand and help them hit guidance. I'm sure it's built into Tesla's projections. They can't just whip this stuff out at a moment's notice when new orders come in slow for a week. It's been under development, just like I'm sure the 60 was the moment they saw the crushing Model 3 demand and opportunity to upsell a cheaper S.

You have by far the lowest estimate that I've seen so far. I am sticking with 22k right now. That's possible with the VIN numbers we are seeing (but it does require priming everything they have like inventories etc) and would be consistent with production guidance. Finally, if it were really 18k, then Tesla must have had visibility on that number as well on the conference call and I think they'd have revised full year guidance.

If only 22,000 cars in Q3, how does Tesla get to their lower guidance of 80,000 cars for 2016, which they confirmed as late as last week.
I am not discounting the VIN assessment, but something is screwy here.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the MS demand growth. MS production has been almost flat for the last 7 quarters:
11627 4Q13
12145 2Q16
And based on the current VIN assignment rate, Q3 will fall within this same population. That's why I think that sales growth will have to come from MX.

Reactions: bonaire
Some perspective:
America’s Fastest Growing Car Companies, Led by Tesla
America’s Fastest Growing Car Companies, Led by Tesla
No matter how much investors are concerned about Tesla Motors Inc.’s (NASDAQ: TSLA) production slowdown and its chances to reach 500,000 in sales by 2020, it was the fastest growing car company in America through the first seven months of the year, compared to the same period in 2015.

Most of the car companies with surges in sales are small and sell cars in the luxury category. Here are the six fastest growing car companies in America.

Tesla’s sales rose 80.8% in the first seven months to 19,800. At this rate, it will be hard to reach its 50,000 goal. BMW in particular is publicly chasing Tesla with its i3 and i8 models.

Next on the list, Jaguar sales are up 58.5% to 14,389. The brand is owned by Indian manufacturer Tata Motors Ltd. (NYSE: TTM). It has outrun its poor reputation for quality and now gets high ratings in J.D. Power studies. It has a number of models that sell for $60,000 and few below that.
<Snip>

BTW, couple of days ago I called Fidelity Trading Desk and asked about the acquisition vote and what Fidelity is planning to do to vote the shares that they lent. The response I got, after rep. put me on a prolonged hold to consult with the proper internal resources, that Fidelity will be securing the shares on the exchange to vote them.
That's a slightly less generic answer than it appears to be. Obviously, Fidelity's mutual funds which hold huge blocks of TSLA and SCTY are going to vote their own shares, by recalling them. This confirmed that. But this answer, if correct, also answered a question about how that recall is going to proceed. The shares may currently be lent to Fidelity clients or to other brokerages. One alternative was that the recall would be done by pulling the shares back from Fidelity clients (forcibly closing their short positions). They seem to have told you that the larger Fidelity brokerage organization will be trading on their own behalf ("securing the shares on the exchange") to get shares to return to the mutual funds, rather than closing out the short positions of their clients.

Essentially, this creates steady buying pressure from Fidelity, until they've recovered all the shares. Fidelity brokerage has to buy enough shares on the open market to return to their mutual fund managers, which is going to be a constant buy pressure.

Incidentally, the form 13F data for Q2 are trickling in, and these largest holders were increasing their positions, including Fidelity (they mentioned by 9%), Baillie Gifford (by 9.54%, or 1.14M shares), Vanguard (by 13.4%, or 0.58M shares), Bank of Montreal (by 6.8%, or 0.31M shares).
If the Fidelity mutual fund managers are increasing their shares at the same time, this creates even more buying pressure.

Essentially, this creates steady buying pressure from Fidelity, until they've recovered all the shares. Fidelity brokerage has to buy enough shares on the open market to return to their mutual fund managers, which is going to be a constant buy pressure.
This doesn't make sense for two reasons:
Do you really think they'll do that if there is a squeeze being triggered by buying shares to vote?

If they did that why wouldn't they want to vote both the shares that they loaned out plus the shares that they are buying.

Actually, he is pointing out that from Tesla's ER, his math shows that if he subtracted M3 deposits from Q2 (since M3 was unveiled March 31), then customer deposits declined. However, the CTO said new customer orders increased by 65%. So he thinks it doesn't add up and so Tesla is hiding some BS somewhere.
Signature deliveries. Removes high-dollar-value deposits from the balance sheet. Replacement deposits from new orders are not Sigs and are lower-dollar-value.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
Nice try, Drivin. Every one of your examples is a company that had a serious problem, either in demand for the product or in ability to profitably execute.

The point is that at the time people weren't aware or ignored the depth of the issues...because this was going to be different this time! It is a game changer!
You don't understand tech or the Internet or the change in society!

This doesn't make sense for two reasons:
Do you really think they'll do that if there is a squeeze being triggered by buying shares to vote?

If they did that why wouldn't they want to vote both the shares that they loaned out plus the shares that they are buying.
Fidelity's mutual funds are technically separate legal organizations from Fidelity's brokerage (this is important legally, guys). There are two Fidelity mutual funds with particularly big positions in TSLA, if I remember correctly. The manager of one of them is particularly gung-ho. I am guessing that he has specifically asked for recall of the shares owned by his mutual fund. It is then up to Fidelity brokerage to figure out how to acquire those shares for him, and turn them over to him. This is separate from the question of whether Fidelity brokerage is collecing shares for voting on their own behalf.

Think of Fidelity Contrafund as a client of Fidelity Brokerage -- a client who has (probably) asked for their stock to be removed from the stock lending program. Does that make sense? I know this isn't exactly how it works, but it more or less is how it works; the fund has a set of trustees who are legally supposed to make decisions seperately from "what's good for Fidelity". If the fund manager says "We need to recall the stock to vote it", they're not going to want to override him, even if the interests of Fidelity Brokerage are different, because that would look bad.

You have by far the lowest estimate that I've seen so far. I am sticking with 22k right now. That's possible with the VIN numbers we are seeing (but it does require priming everything they have like inventories etc) and would be consistent with production guidance. Finally, if it were really 18k, then Tesla must have had visibility on that number as well on the conference call and I think they'd have revised full year guidance.

I'll keep conservative until August number out. My theory is July (5K) + August (5K) + Sept. (8-9K). If August turns out to have much improved EU/NA number, then I'll change my mind. Just keep in mind, Q1/Q2 delivery is way below anybody's guestimate.

Reactions: Out4aDuck
I should point out that we can assume that anyone recalling their stock for the vote will make it available to lend again *the day after the vote*. This should cause borrowing rates for shorts to drop quite suddenly as a large amount of stock is put back on the lending market, and that will probably cause a lot of shorts to open new short positions. So I think we are likely to see a post-vote drop in the stock price.

I'm just riding it all out; to a long-term investor it's mostly noise.

Well, Schwab just personally called me to try to sell me on lending my Tesla shares. (I said no). I also asked, since I have been unclear on this, the rate quoted will go up and down arbitrarily, you can't lock in some nice rate. If I could lock something in for a few years I might well be tempted...
I wanted to lock in a rate, a while back. So instead of owning TSLA stock, I set up a synthetic long: sell puts and buy calls at the same strike price and expiration date. My guaranteed return is the difference (make it a credit!) between the money received for selling the put and the money paid to buy the call, and after expiration I end up with TSLA stock. (There are corner cases where I might end up without TSLA stock or with twice as much TSLA stock as I want: if the stock closes *exactly* at the strike price, or if someone on the other side of the put was an idiot.) Some downsides include potentially very complicated US tax treatment (section 1260), loss of long-term-holding status for capital gains purposes, and lack of liquidity. This is not investment advice.

As long as you can get paid money for lending out TSLA shares, you are very likely to be able to get a credit for selling a put at the money and buying a call at the money -- if you think about it, this makes sense, because otherwise market makers could run an arbitrage between the put-call spread and the lending rate (by buying stock, buying a put, selling a call, and collecting the interest with no exposure to the stock price movement).

Status
Not open for further replies.