Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, you've cherrypicked the easier argument there. The real argument is that BYD lacks the more advanced battery tech and is using older LiFePO4 cells. Which is fine, and will work, but they will forever play second fiddle to Tesla in the performance department. There's definitely a market for high-range EVs that don't break the bank, and nobody really needs a 2.5s 0-60.
You have a point.

BYD is the closest thing to a competitor in the EV arena Tesla has, and it appears that will continue to be the case for quite some time. We know though, that Tesla is not interested in competing with others in the EV market, their whole goal is to thoroughly thrash the ICEV market.
What impresses me about this is that right now Tesla and BYD are the serious competitors. That's *two companies worldwide*. During the heyday of the ICE automobile business, we had the "Big Three". There is room for more than two major companies. The extreme shortage of competition is very good for Tesla.

The fact that Chris Urmson left Google is not a good sign for Google's autonomous project. Although I expected Google's project to fail at some point, Chris's move indicates Google's project will reboot soon, just like Apple did. (and Volvo too, my speculation).

Why? imagine if Google's project is going smoothly as planned, Chris would be treated like a hero. Why would he leave? The most likely scenario is that they found out their current approach has hit a wall. The interesting part is Google's new project lead is now talking about 20~25 years, that tells me they still don't have the right approach. If their system has to learn city by city, street by street, that's not the right approach.

Tesla is leading the pack, and based on the available information, all other approaches will hit a wall sooner or later. Autonomous driving is tricky. If your approach is not right, you may quickly get 95% working, then push hard for another 3%. But you will never get a fully working system.

Another system said they look at the skyline to determine the location of the car, (that's why bridges are so hard for their system), I can tell that system will not work either.

Just my thought/speculation, please do not use this as facts for investment.

The issue is, we might be at some sort of Level 3 for a very, very long time. And the only way to prove that a vehicle is actually Level 4 is to drive it around a *lot* at Level 3. And a lot means a whole crap ton of a lot here. And each implementation might need to achieve that level of driving around to be considered Level 4.

Arguably, Tesla would benefit from an extended period at Level 3. It has been one of the few that is actually getting paid for the features.

Yes. Because it isn't actually 100% standardized.

http://gizmodo.com/the-story-behind-syracuses-upside-down-traffic-light-1545301615

There are also horizontal traffic lights with the red, yellow, and green in parallel. There's supposed to be a standard order for them too but some are reversed.

The most common locales I've noticed for the horizontal orientation lights is hurricane prone areas (because the whole length of the light fixture can be supported and strongbacked by the pole its mounted on). In my experience, red is generally to the left, but that might be different in different areas.

OK, this quote concerns me:

"Michael Ballaban – Jalopnik

Hey Elon, thanks for taking this question. Yesterday you tweeted that it had been an unusually difficult couple of weeks. Was that just a reference to the SpaceX launch pad fire or was there something else going on?

Elon Musk – Tesla CEO

It’s just been a lot. We are still getting a lot of flak for the whole SolarCity thing which I think is unreasonable and you know, there’s a lot effort on the Autopilot, on the Model 3 development and getting the factory for the Model 3, and then the rocket exploding… [pause] … the worst few weeks ever really."

Hopefully I'm reading too much into this, but I see 2 potential issues here:

1. Elon has been speaking to TSLA/SCTY institutional investors and support for the deal is breaking down. I know he doesn't care about general media (which is always negative) so I think the only way the SCTY deal could weigh on him and contribute to the "worst weeks ever" is that there's a fundamental issue with the deal.

2. Heightened risk of Model 3 delay. The mention of the Model 3 dev/factory updates contributing to the worst weeks ever makes me nervous. It could of course be anything and a delay wouldn't break the company or anything, but it would have some short term impact if any developments are significant enough to report.

Hey Elon, thanks for taking this question. Yesterday you tweeted that it had been an unusually difficult couple of weeks. Was that just a reference to the SpaceX launch pad fire or was there something else going on?

Elon Musk – Tesla CEO

It’s just been a lot. We are still getting a lot of flak for the whole SolarCity thing which I think is unreasonable and you know, there’s a lot effort on the Autopilot, on the Model 3 development and getting the factory for the Model 3, and then the rocket exploding… [pause] … the worst few weeks ever really."

1. Elon has been speaking to TSLA/SCTY institutional investors and support for the deal is breaking down. I know he doesn't care about general media (which is always negative) so I think the only way the SCTY deal could weigh on him and contribute to the "worst weeks ever" is that there's a fundamental issue with the deal.

2. Heightened risk of Model 3 delay. The mention of the Model 3 dev/factory updates contributing to the worst weeks ever makes me nervous. It could of course be anything and a delay wouldn't break the company or anything, but it would have some short term impact if any developments are significant enough to report.
Could you please share the link to Q&A session?

Chevrolet to announce Bolt’s official EV range tomorrow, teaser on Facebook today (Poll)

Looks like Chevy is going to give us an actual number tomorrow.

It won't do very well because it can't. GM's deal with LG Chem for its batteries won't support a sales rate in excess of 30K bolts per year.

You keep stating that the range per dollar is unknown. I'll grant you that exact values aren't known, but there are enough quantities known to conclusively say the Model 3 will deliver greater miles of range per dollar. Tesla has publicly stated, the $35k base model, will achieve at least 215mi of range, and maybe more. GM has stated the $37,500 Bolt will achieve at least 200mi. More money, lower minimum. Tesla wins.

If you want to look at it another way, the bolt has a published Cd of 0.32. Model 3 is 0.21. Bolt has a published battery size of 60kWh. Tesla has said that Model 3 will be offered in a variant with less than 60 -- the expectation is 55kWh.

Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com

A Bolt, assuming 25.8sqft frontal area, 0.32 Cd and .008 Crr will need almost 18.5kW to break through the air at 70mph. 60kWh / 18.5 = 3.25 hours of run time @ 70mph = 227mi of range, assuming you maintain steady state 70mph with no acceleration losses and traffic and never slow down at all. This is the best case scenario the physics allows for.

I predicted almost a month ago, using physics, that it will not exceed 227mi of real-world range.

I suspect for marketing reasons, GM will want to claim a range between 215 and 220, to say they're better than Model 3's 215.

(re: LEAPS) They execute. You end up with TSLA stock.

I don't believe that is correct. For one thing, they can't execute if they're not in the money, yet they still have time value. For another, you might not have the cash to execute them even if they are in the money, and the brokerage only gets to make that decision when they expire; even then you can tell the brokerage not to execute.

My understanding of what happens is that they convert to weird TSLA LEAPS at the same 0.11 ratio, which means there will be a bunch of new options created that only apply to lots of 11 shares, at the corresponding strike price, same expiration dates. They will be difficult to trade because people won't generally want to buy them and there won't be all that many of them compared to normal TSLA options contracts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Turing and neroden
I don't believe that is correct. For one thing, they can't execute if they're not in the money, yet they still have time value. For another, you might not have the cash to execute them even if they are in the money, and the brokerage only gets to make that decision when they expire; even then you can tell the brokerage not to execute.

My understanding of what happens is that they convert to weird TSLA LEAPS at the same 0.11 ratio, which means there will be a bunch of new options created that only apply to lots of 11 shares, at the corresponding strike price, same expiration dates. They will be difficult to trade because people won't generally want to buy them and there won't be all that many of them compared to normal TSLA options contracts.
Yes, this is all correct. In the scenario originally postulated, someone was talking about a synthetic long (long call and short put at the same strike price and same expiration date). They would become thinly traded. At expiration, either one or the other would execute, pretty much guaranteed, and you'd end up with stock. Assuming you had put aside enough money to buy the stock (which you should have).

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt

Elon Musk – Tesla CEO

Good observation but I think your worries are a bit stretched. If they are still in any predicament that is serious, they wouldn't disclose it unless as required by disclosure norms. If it were so, they would do it carefully worded statements at the right time, not as a casual response to a question.

I interpret this way: They had faced some tough problems as listed, but they mostly overcame those or atleast mitigated them enough so that Elon can talk about them as a reflection of the troubles they went through.

To me, the biggest story over the weekend is not autopilot update, it's Apple scrapped the plan to build its own car Apple's Mythical Car Stalls, Stripped For Parts

No other brands/competitors other than Apple IMHO can win the rivalry with Tesla in making EVs. With its most credible competitor gone, Tesla will for sure become a trillion dollar company as EM has envisioned in next 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.