Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested in other trading ideas, one might assume that if Elon and Tesla have determined that a "radar based" Autopilot system is "better" than a camera based Autopilot system then one might assume this will might have a bad effect on $MBLY...

Mike

Yes, MBLY is down more than 5%.

Where Tesla Autopilot functions are concerned, I don't believe that it's either/or for Radar and Camera. Radar cannot do certain things, like read traffic signs and signals. Cameras and visual processing are still necessary for autonomous driving.

Mobileye has partnerships with Intel, BMW, and Delphi. Tesla's announcement yesterday should have little to no impact on Mobileye's near term outlook.

Where Tesla Autopilot functions are concerned, I don't believe that it's either/or for Radar and Camera. Radar cannot do certain things, like read traffic signs and signals. Cameras and visual processing are still necessary for autonomous driving.

Mobileye has partnerships with Intel, BMW, and Delphi. Tesla's announcement yesterday should have little to no impact on Mobileye's near term outlook.

Except that MobilEye's system is camera based and Tesla is switching to a radar based approach. No doubt, the camera is still absolutely necessary it's just that you might assume that MobilEye's camera based system may not hold up as the best approach over the long haul. If all that's required is a camera (and not the hardware/software processing that MobilEye currently provides) then there may be multiple suppliers to provide that.

Granted, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be for them to adapt to technology that may or may not prove to be better. This is all just speculation on my part.

46k shares available to short at Fidelity.

Today potential short sellers are much more tentative to use shares available to pull the trigger as compared to Friday. In the first 8 min of trading on Friday there were net of 61,904 shares shorted at Fidelity, while today net was only 1,803 shares in the first 37 minutes of trading.

Snap1.png

Except that MobilEye's system is camera based and Tesla is switching to a radar based approach. No doubt, the camera is still absolutely necessary it's just that you might assume that MobilEye's camera based system may not hold up as the best approach over the long haul. If all that's required is a camera (and not the hardware/software processing that MobilEye currently provides) then there may be multiple suppliers to provide that.

Granted, I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be for them to adapt to technology that may or may not prove to be better. This is all just speculation on my part.

Damn it, I do have 500 shares of MBLY, and that is painful. What a complext....

Considering that our roads, markings and signs are tuned for bouncing photons (as EM put it) in visible range I think that cameras are a must for any system and will not be replaced but augmented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Intl Professor
I think everybody here who is *certain* the SCTY deal will go through or is incorrectly referring to trading opportunities around SCTY as "arbitrage" (implying zero risk) would do well to revisit the GTAT thread over on thecontrarianinvestor.com for a reminder of how quickly things could turn very, very ugly if something unexpected occurs.

FWIW I do indeed think the deal will go through. But I would absolutely not be trading SCTY here without some insurance (e.g. far OTM puts).

My insurance is in three forms:
(1) I actually don't think SCTY will go bust on its own. The aggressive program of monetizing the old PPA cashflows is eliminating the largest risk, and I think the Buffalo factory is going to be successful;
(2) even though I made my trades earlier, my average purchase price is below $18 thanks to put options;
(3) I can afford to lose the money if the worst case happens. I don't have all my eggs in one basket. My total TSLA/SCTY exposure is edging from 10% towards 17% of the portfolios I manage. Thes portfolios have cash sufficient for a couple of years, more Berkshire Hathaway than TSLA, and real estate funds as a hedge against general downturns in the stock market (which often don't take real estate with them).

Lets look at who are the biggest players,

FMR, LLC - 15.48% TSLA
Baillie Gifford and Company - 9.76% TSLA
Price (T.Rowe) Associates Inc - 7.85% TSLA

NONE of them have spoken of anything to the public any time between June 22 - Now. Even after Musk said he is convinced that the merger will go through. Elon Musk now convinced Tesla-SolarCity merger will pass after talking to major investors
https://electrek.co/2016/07/20/elon-musk-tesla-solarcity-merger-pass-investors/
They're under no obligation to say anything. *And* they're allowed to profit off the merger arbitrage. So if they are certain that the merger will go through -- or in the case of Fidelity and T Rowe Price, are *already invested in SolarCity* -- they have an incentive to shut their mouths and make money on the arbitrage. So if the merger is highly likely to go through, they probably would shut their months, too. I don't think you can read anything from their silence.

Reactions: stealthology
Except that MobilEye's system is camera based and Tesla is switching to a radar based approach.

I'm not sure that is the case in the long term. I'm very impressed by Nvidia's experiment in teaching a car to drive by analyzing a hi-res three camera set-up pixel-by-pixel in a hundred hours of driving experience. It may be possible to construct a 3D point cloud map, or whatever you call it, using cameras alone. Augmented, of course, by radar which is clearly superior in inclement weather. The priority of info may change in Tesla's later renditions of AP.

Edit: Input, not info.

Does anyone know approximately when the vote will happen, how long the vote takes, and once the results are in is the share price locked in right away?
After the record date is announced and the SEC approves the proxy statement, it takes several weeks to mail out all the proxies. Yes, they have to be MAILED. For shares held in brokerage accounts, Tesla and SolarCity have to notify brokerage firms and then the brokerage firms have to mail them out. This takes weeks. Then they have to give people a reasonable amount of time to send the proxies back. This takes weeks. For shares in brokerage accounts, they have to go back to the brokerages, the brokerages have to collate the numbers, and then contact Tesla.

I would guess that it can't be done in less than six weeks. If there's too low a rate of proxy returns, there's a provision for postponing the meeting to solicit more proxies.

They seem to be pushing to do this merger ASAP, so if we call it six weeks from September 23rd, that would be closing on November 4th or so. Once the votes are counted at the board meetings, the merger can take place essentially instantly, often the day after.

I'm not sure that is the case in the long term. I'm very impressed by Nvidia's experiment in teaching a car to drive by analyzing a hi-res three camera set-up pixel-by-pixel in a hundred hours of driving experience. It may be possible to construct a 3D point cloud map, or whatever you call it, using cameras alone. Augmented, of course, by radar which is clearly superior in inclement weather. The priority of info may change in Tesla's later renditions of AP.

Agree, we don't know what this will look like in 10 years but the biggest problem I see with anything "light" or "visible spectrum" based is that it won't work in fog, heavy rain, and may become limited in other low visibility situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.