Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. 5000 - 5500 in transit seems like it's going to be the standard going forward. It's been about the same number in transit each time they report for a while now, right?

It's also about double from when they had only a single model and half the production rate. So yes, I think 5000 is going to be the new normal and there will be a comparable number of cars in transit by the end of the year. I mean, it is spelled out in the press release yesterday.

Tesla press release said:
We expect Q4 deliveries and production to be at or slightly above Q3

Deliveries and production was grossly in line this quarter so if both are slightly higher next quarter, they'll also be grossly in line and therefore transit numbers should be about the same too.

Reactions: Lessmog
It's also about double from when they had only a single model and half the production rate. So yes, I think 5000 is going to be the new normal and there will be a comparable number of cars in transit by the end of the year. I mean, it is spelled out in the press release yesterday.

I think that pipeline will have to grow significantly higher than 5K units. Assuming average blended time in transit (time from the moment car leaves Fremont to the moment it is received by the customer) of 4 to 5 weeks and steady state run rate of 2400 units/week, the pipeline should contain 9,600 to 12,000 cars. This will allow even deliveries across all months of a quarter instead of back loaded deliveries currently, which will reduce expenses and stress on the delivery personnel. This will also allow allocation of the production to various geographical areas (NA, Europe, Asia, Pacific) proportional to rate of the incoming orders, rather than batching it to maximize delivery of cars produced within the given quarter during the same quarter.

So I believe that the pipeline will have to grow steadily, but *after* the Q4, throughout the 2017.

The problem is that my model doesn't adequately account for the accounting changes. Someone please help my tiny brain process it. My understanding is the old way had three things left out of gaap profit: 1. Rvg on tesla financed cars, 2. Rvg to banking partners on non directly leased cars and 3. Lease accounting for all direct leases (only can book lease payments received?)

There is also stock based compensation which must be counted under GAAP rules but Tesla excluded it from its non-GAAP numbers.

from IB news-feed:
Baird maintained Tesla Motors (TSLA) coverage with Outperform and target $338
Baird maintained Tesla Motors (TSLA) coverage with Outperform and target $338
Issuance Date: 2016-10-03

Via StreetInsider.com:

"Baird analyst Ben Kallo reiterated his Outperform rating and $338 price target on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) after the company significantly beat the firm's delivery estimate in Q3.

Tesla announced it delivered ~24.5k vehicles in Q3, surpassing the firm's estimate of 21k. Management expects production to continue to ramp, indicating Q4 deliveries should meet or exceed Q3 numbers.

Kallo expects shares to trade higher as TSLA executed on production and reiterated 2H:16 guidance.

Meanwhile, the analyst expects bears to focus on the upcoming capital raise, but they continue to recommend shares ahead of the potential deal due to several upcoming catalysts, including: ramp of the gigafactory, additional news around the
Model 3, and potentially the Paris Motor Show.

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors
click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.

Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $204.03 yesterday."

"U.S. stock index futures indicated a slightly higher open Monday as investors geared up for more economic data and digested earnings results from Tesla over the weekend."

cnbc premarket ticker headline... this is ridiculous. "The many trillion dollar markets will move today because Tesla sold 5k more cars than anticipated!"

I'm sorry... this is just silly... and it's delivery numbers... not "earnings" CNBC.

Some heroic effort to prevent the inevitable...

Snap1.png

"U.S. stock index futures indicated a slightly higher open Monday as investors geared up for more economic data and digested earnings results from Tesla over the weekend."

cnbc premarket ticker headline... this is ridiculous. "The many trillion dollar markets will move today because Tesla sold 5k more cars than anticipated!"

I'm sorry... this is just silly... and it's delivery numbers... not "earnings" CNBC.

"Investor Enthusiasm" can be quite strong in this one...

Value investors make this mistake. It's not about current sales, it's about present value of future earnings. An idea that won Black and Scholes a Nobel prize. Future projections just became more likely. If TE delivers serious numbers in Q4 and starts guidance, you might want to rethink your shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.