Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, that is a potential issue.

But that is a self-inflicted wound by Tesla that wouldn't have happened if they used GAAP from the beginning. There is a reason that people use GAAP, it is Generally Accepted, so comparisons can more easily be made.

But the wound will be temporary since over time by using GAAP the right comparisons can be made.

No, non-GAAP metrics have been widely used in high growth companies. Only recently has the SEC given guidance on this. Tesla's reporting of both GAAP and non-GAAP was common.

Serious green side strength on the 200 number. Maybe the shorts really are running out of motivation to keep it below $200.

I sure hope Elon's got the hurt cannon as loaded as I think he does for the ER next week.

I think ZEV alone is prepped for a big surprise nobody but a few of us here seem to be expecting. Tesla sold a little less than twice as many ZEV credits this year as in any year previous. Last year, TSLA earned ~$180M selling credits. So far in the preceding 3 quarters (the ZEV credit reporting window is a quarter out of sync with TSLA's fiscal year), we've sold ~$65M.

There is a lot of ways to calculate it, but:

Option A) We sold all those credits in the previous quarters for $65M and we got nothing this quarter for them much like 2Q16. $65M / 80,227 credits sold = $810/credit. This is a hard floor on what we could have gotten for the credits. In the middle of 2Q16 the rules changed for ZEV credits, meaning the number required by other automakers in 2017 and 2018 is reduced from what it was. This may have reduced the value of ZEV credits starting in 2Q16.

Option B) The credits sold in 4Q15 and 1Q16 were sold at around about the then going rate of $3500-4000, we sold hardly any in.2Q16, and the remainder were sold in 3Q16 for some lower amount. I expect this is what happened, as prior to the 2Q16 changes, there was no reason for the value of a ZEV credit on the open market to be any different. Lets assume we sold those 4Q15 and 1Q16 credits for $3750. $65M / $3750 = 17,333 credits sold. 80,227 - 17,333 = 62,894 credits left to sell in 3Q16. If we managed to still get the $3750 for them, that would be $235.8M of juice to the bottom line in 3Q16. Even if we got 50c on the dollar to what we used to get, that still be ~$118M of juice. With 149.8M outstanding shares, $118M of juice represents +$0.787 EPS on top of whatever we otherwise would have earned assuming $0 from ZEVs. We know for a fact that we sold them for at least $810/credit.

I believe the near-term loosening of the CARB restrictions (because its back with a vengeance in 2019, and its still unclear if the big automakers will be able to generate enough credits on their own to comply then, so they're gonna want to stockpile credits in this lull) may have reduced the market value of a ZEV credit somewhat, but I don't think that effect will be very big. I expect we will see around $1.20 EPS worth of juice from ZEVs this quarter.

That, coupled with the fact we sold 24,500 cars, which should improve margins (by distributing the fixed costs over more cars) and the temporary belt tightening on the expenditures (holding back on opening new stores, etc). I expect we may have been positive EPS before considering ZEV credits.

EDIT: Additionally, CARB was mulling over the idea of restricting a ZEV net producer like Tesla's ability to sell credits to a certain limit. That may have provided Tesla some extra motivation to accept a bit less for them right now than it otherwise would have by holding on to them until 2019 when others might clamber to buy them, in order to keep Tesla's inventory of credits it doesn't need low, rather than get stuck with a pile of credits you're forbidden to sell.

Tesla retorted that to restrict credit transfers in such a way is ridiculous, and unfairly punishes those doing the most to achieve CARBs goal of widespread adoption of ZEVs. I tend to agree.

Updating this with what we now know:

I suspect what we've seen is approximately Option B), with a sale price on the recent credits of $139M/62,894 credits = $2210/credit. A fire sale to be sure, but remember, every car sold in a CARB state generates 4 credits. US sales being about half of world sales, and CARB states being about half of US sales sounds about right to me, so that is another ~25k credits being generated in Q4, regardless of whether or not we sell them this quarter.

Yeah but chanos and the putz said Tesla is a sham and they can't possibly have ulterior motives!

Bummer to see these guys with so much experience talking like that. It kind of comes off as concerned caution or thoughtful warning with the white hair and Grandpa-tone, but it's kinda just straight up slander when you're on tv throwing stuff like that around.

Who's doing dishes in the background?

part of that capital efficiency. Did you think they were just sitting there?
With that quarter, your question is about receivables??? My 14yr old could do better. Excellent example of just how clueless analysts are. Tesla Energy, Model III, Solarcity merger, Gigafactory....etc etc and you ask about RECEIVABLES? Amazing. Colin....you are an idiot.

I am happy about the question. That is the strongest Bear theory that has emerged. Gives them a chance to address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.