Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I wish myusername was wrong, but this argument he said maybe right:
Tesla's future road map is clear now, it may grow to a company that sells a million cars a year, probably as early as in 2020, but that's the end of the story. No more story to support the hype and the stock price above $200. At least for the short sight of the investors.
A car company that sells a million cars cannot have a stock price above $200. That's why the big players are gradually selling their positions, in spite of all the good news and earning beats. Those are all "expected".
Repeating someone else's idiocy doesn't make you right. Firstly, stock price is meaningless. Market capitalization is meaningful. There are plenty of car companies that make less than a million cars per year and have a higher market cap than Tesla. They mostly happen to be the companies that Tesla is hurting a lot in both sales and performance. Secondly, why would Tesla stop at a million cars per year? Thirdly, you're ignoring the possibilities of Tesla Energy/Solar City. I could go on but won't bother.

@maoing is one of the best realistic bull here, his call has been on point most of the times. Would pay attention to him. He can read chinese too, so he knows what happens to chinese market.

@maoing let me know when you think TSLA is attractive. I am ready to load the truck.

Yes, i like reading his opinions, i specifically noticed that he made no updates or predictions at all leading up to q3 which was somewhat unusual, which lead me to believe he wasn't sure at all how it would play out. My other qualm with his shorter term market posting is that he has a tendency to be coy and list his brilliant moves in hindsight. So if Tesla shot up after q3 he would pop up and tell us in retrospect how he saw it coming for x reason and found a brilliant entry just before the big run up. Just as his early sep 1st insight that $200 was fair price but not bargain, seems like good advice now, but I would be way more impressed if he had reaffirmed that opinion before q3 release instead of staying quite. Again, that isn't to say he doesn't contribute at times with good insight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
The rest of the market today has been declining steadily since the morning and bringing down TSLA / SCTY with it (in addition to the merger event tonight). Just look at the price action when you plot a chart overlap with the NASDAQ, DOW J, SPY, S&P 500, TSE, etc.

TSLA was a momo stock, much more volatile than rest of the market

According to Inside EV;
US October deliveries; 1650 vs. 1900 a year ago.

Is there a different source that says those numbers are wrong?

Last year in Q4 Tesla delivered about 3K more cars than it produced. This happens when during first couple weeks of the quarter production go to Asia, next 4 or so weeks of production go to Europe, and 6 or so last final weeks of the quarter go to NA. Due to delivery time this results in few cars delivered in first and second month of the quarter, with virtually all cars produced during the quarter delivered in the last month of the quarter. This also empties cars in transit pipeline at the end of the quarter.

The point you bring up signals just that. Tesla will build about 25K cars in this quarter, but deliver around 28K. Do your math - this will be another profitable quarter for Tesla.

On a different matter here are some interesting points.

automotive revenue $2,148,727

automotive cost $1,517,061

gross margin $631,666 (29.39%)

number of cars delivered : 24,821

average car selling price : (2148727 / 24851) = $86,569

Average car cost: $61,120

The introduction of the 60kwh model lowered the average selling price ,
hence Elon is focusing on the 100 kWh version to increase the average revenue per car.
These higher kwh cars should substantially increase gross margins.

As expected, increased volume leads to higher gross margins, and that is
the whole point of economies of scale.

The automotive part of the business has never ever been better and still improving.
At the present run rate, 25000 deliveries per qtr., I see potentially $6 annually per share earnings.

Too bad Solarcity risk is overshadowing the above.

Last edited:
Yes, agree, all production indicators are good ... on track. SP doesn't reflect those realities, just the superficial opinions of the market.
Which shows they still don't get the mission of this company. It's sad to see this much manipulation over a company trying (and doing a ****ing awesome job at it) to change the world for the better.

Maoing, you can't be more wrong here. U.S. deliveries are backed up until December and the European assembly plant is working at capacity of 600 units/wk. Thus, demand is not an issue. AP 2.0 adds considerably to already-adequate demand, so we have a surplus of demand at present. Production took a brief planned pause when Tesla transitioned to AP 2.0 hardware and we know that production speed is sufficient to give us 25,000 vehicles produced in Q4, so production won't be a bottleneck for Q4 either. The elimination of MX60, the requirement for air suspension on X, and the additional revenues from AP 2.0 sales on S and X will improve GMs in Q4. Tesla Energy begins shipping in Q4 with at least two large projects completed in the quarter.
To buttress up that evidence, look at the asking prices for for-sale-by-owner cars of Tesla's. They are extremely inflated right now compared to August.

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox
I scraped together a bit more dry powder and fired it at a handful of SCTY@19 Calls for friday's expiry. I really can't see SCTY dropping any further after what Elon has to say this afternoon. Its currently trading at a value roughly equal to the TSLA@170 escape clause in the merger. I believe 18.70 should be a firm floor on where SCTY can go, this close to the merger.

If the merger succeeds, SCTY @ 18.70 is guaranteed to be the lowest value you will receive for it in terms of TSLA.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.