Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a pleasant surprise from the WSJ - this article really gets it - utility value in powering EVs, not just the vehicles themselves.

The Highly Charged Way to Play Electric Cars

And for the uninitiated - if you hit the paywall, just Google the article title. It'll bypass the paywall.

The last part of the article sounds like Koch narrative though - government only subsidizes expensive sports cars for the wealthy aka kickstarting tesla by refunding the sales tax through incentives

• Helpful
Reactions: dirtyofries
This was a pleasant surprise from the WSJ - this article really gets it - utility value in powering EVs, not just the vehicles themselves.

The Highly Charged Way to Play Electric Cars

And for the uninitiated - if you hit the paywall, just Google the article title. It'll bypass the paywall.

Almost gets it. Electrification can be a big boon for the utilities if the charging infrastructure is managed properly. The emphasis should be on L2 AC charging and the ability to steer that load demand. The utilities can better utilize their existing power production facilities, as the massive amount of steerable demand can soak up intermittent renewable production, keep baseload power plants at peak efficiency far more often, increase capacity factor overall which should lower costs.

Going with a lot of DCFC will not have these benefits. We need steerable AC charging and lots of it. It is far more important to get the L2 AC charging infrastructure sorted out than it is to sort out DC charging corridors.

I wonder what those who shorted Tesla right after seeing Spiegels presentation at the RH conference are now thinking.

That was 'interesting' timing to bring in new and additional shorts. Thanks Mark !!!
Anyone think he'll be invited to more of those conferences?

The last part of the article sounds like Koch narrative though - government only subsidizes expensive sports cars for the wealthy aka kickstarting tesla by refunding the sales tax through incentives

I know, my first notion after that was like - did the editors give it a re-read and realize it didn't toe the line well enough.

Overall I liked the sentiments though.

Reactions: SteveG3
So far, we've seen serious efforts at capping 208 today. There's no critical technical point or other clear reason for resistance here. The shorts who are capping would hope to push the share prices down in the afternoon, execute a mandatory morning dip tomorrow, and then close today's positions at least a few dollars lower than 208. It may be tricky, though, because volume and buying pressure so far remains decent this afternoon and TSLA has clearly established an uptrend.

Reactions: madodel
Boycott the Bolt if you don't want to subsidize gas cars?
‘Bolt EV is not for profit but to subsidize gas-guzzling cars’, says JP Morgan after meeting with GM CFO

After meeting with GM CFO Chuck Stevens last week, JP Morgan analyst Ryan Brinkman released a note to clients claiming that the Bolt EV is part of an “improving array of electric vehicles from automakers which are pricing such vehicles with the aim not to turn a profit but rather to sell in sufficient volume to subsidize the rest of their more lucrative portfolios of internal combustion engine vehicles from a regulatory compliance perspective.”

Reactions: SunCatcher and TMSE
‘Bolt EV is not for profit but to subsidize gas-guzzling cars’, says JP Morgan after meeting with GM CFO

After meeting with GM CFO Chuck Stevens last week, JP Morgan analyst Ryan Brinkman released a note to clients claiming that the Bolt EV is part of an “improving array of electric vehicles from automakers which are pricing such vehicles with the aim not to turn a profit but rather to sell in sufficient volume to subsidize the rest of their more lucrative portfolios of internal combustion engine vehicles from a regulatory compliance perspective.”

I would prefer that people buy Bolt in droves, boycott gas guzzlers that GM intended Bolt to subsidize. That will send clear message to the big ones: switch to BEVs or DIE.

Here's the thing: I don't think any self-respecting EV enthusiast would choose to buy a Bolt EV over a Model 3.

I'm pretty happy with how today played out.

My broker released the ability to do multi-leg options strategies in a single trade yesterday, and I put on a diagonal spread for this week and next weeks expiry - then today my broker called to tell me that they'd made a mistake, and my tax sheltered account couldn't make the short leg of the trade I did yesterday, so they cancelled it out as though it never happened - turning what should have been 20% profit into over 100%.

I would prefer that people buy Bolt in droves, boycott gas guzzlers that GM intended Bolt to subsidize. That will send clear message to the big ones: switch to BEVs or DIE.

Yep. Telling a Chevy dealer you're walking off the lot because they are out of Bolts and only have combustion cars will send a strong message back to HQ.

I think, as this entire forum likely does, Solar city purchase was a great bargain for Tesla. But while I am excited about the solar roof, I think utility scale projects are going to be 3/4s of its business if not more. Considering only 25% of US energy needs could be satiated by roofing and that would require 100% of the market share, that 3/4 is conservative. Utility scale solar is going to be huge in the years to come.

3,671Mw (3.7 gigawatt) utility scale, 2016, so far,
EIA - Electricity Data

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Status
Not open for further replies.