Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a statement from an oilprice.com article today on the Tesla Semi echoing some of the comments in this thread re the potential major impact on oil demand:

There are plenty of reasons to doubt Musk, and some argue that the unveiling of Tesla’s Semi only exacerbates the company’s growing credibility problem. But if Tesla is successful with its new Semi, the IEA’s scenario of robust oil demand for freight will quickly be thrown out the window.

Musk’s “Hardcore Smack-Down” To Gasoline Vehicles | OilPrice.com

Last edited:
Noticed a statement from an oilprice.com article today on the Tesla Semi echoing some of the comments in this thread re the potential major impact on oil demand:

There are plenty of reasons to doubt Musk, and some argue that the unveiling of Tesla’s Semi only exacerbates the company’s growing credibility problem. But if Tesla is successful with its new Semi, the IEA’s scenario of robust oil demand for freight will quickly be thrown out the window.

If the semi is legit as it seems to be, it's equivalent to 34 model 3s per semi as it relates to total consumption. That is like multiplying the impact of EVs by 34x with one new product. Is the semi legit? It's legit enough to change the entire landscape. At 200-300 miles of range it was enough, at 500, it's game over. That range makes the Tesla semi viable for 80% of all semi workloads with zero sacrifices. The other 20%, is a toss up and there might be to be some minor sacrifices, none of which negativity impacts the bottom line more then what is gained. Given that, it's still going to take 30 years to totally displace ICE semis. 5 years for Tesla to ramp production, a few years to prove the product in the market and 20 years for the the existing fleets to be turned over. But the Tesla semi is a game changer and far exceeded everyone's most aggressive estimates, except mine because I'm a homer fanboi for sure. But given that it even exceeded my expectations on charging speeds.

If it's real, it's a game changer more so then anything else Tesla has done to date. The reason is that 100,000 Tesla semis = 3.4M model 3s. The semi is a force multiplier for the master plan.

The roadster? Massive amounts of free pr and advertising that is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Model Xs beating lambos in a drag is awesome and all, but this little bastard is going to make million dollar farrari la farrari's cry for their mommies. Even though a P100D could already beat every super car, it was closer at times and those cars cought up eventually. They won't catch this car, ever. They will run out of gas first. Bugatti can go 250mph for like 7 minutes. My guess is that the roadster will out last anything chasing it.

Edit: my bad.. 10 minutes..

A set of the Super Sport's special Michelin tires costs $42,000 and may last 10,000 miles if you're careful, though they last only 15 minutes at the car's top speed (at that pace, however, the 26.4-gallon tank is sucked dry in just 10 minutes, and there's no place on Earth to safely go that fast that long anyway.

Tires are going to be an issue for Tesla, that's nuts.

Last edited:
Please do not give oil price predictions if you're "not tracking supply properly."

Many people invest based on what others say and write, and your above comment, without the necessary research, is irresponsible.
I did not read @neroden as making price predictions. Rather he was expressing a view about equilibrium prices needed to balance the market, which is not actually price prediction unless one assumes that the market will in fact be balanced. But I did not read into @neroden any view on whether the market would be balanced.

Reactions: neroden

This is what I've been saying. Once Tesla unveiled the Semi, the oil industry would have to deal with the threat of commercial EVs. You can't just assume anymore that road freight would be a long term driver of oil demand growth. Of course, many will get by with sheer denial for a few more years.

I know this is going to come as a surprise, but it turns out global solar demand projections for 2017 were off by a bit. Shocking!

China on Pace for Record Solar-Power Installations

Put it this way...in July Bloomberg was predicting China would install 30GW of solar for all of 2017. Little did they know, the Chinese had already surpassed 30GW by that point. New 2017 estimates are for 54GW, which is also probably going to end up short as well.

As we inch toward US tariffs on Chinese panels, lord only knows how much they'll install next year. Another group in this article has raised their 2018 estimate from 40GW to 55GW(a figure likely lower than this year's total). I wonder if the zero growth estimate will turn out to be incorrect?

I'm starting to think that peak oil demand is coming faster than we think. Perhaps 2022 isn't unreasonable.

This is what I've been saying. Once Tesla unveiled the Semi, the oil industry would have to deal with the threat of commercial EVs. You can't just assume anymore that road freight would be a long term driver of oil demand growth. Of course, many will get by with sheer denial for a few more years.

THIS!

Folks, seriously, I'm gonna have myself some popcorn and enjoy the show. This Tesla Semi thing will shake things up dramatically. A few pointers: Did you see what the share price of Cummins (Diesel engines for trucks) did on Friday?

Also, did you notice that Daimler announced that they will have electric versions of their light delivery vans this morning? In fact, you can order them now, when they will be delivered is not really known yet. They were so fast with their press release that their marketing website was still offline this morning when the news hit the internet...

I really hope this will be a "feeding frenzy" kind of race over the coming two years with lots of players electrifying their vehicles.

So yes, @jhm - don't think that transport will be a driver for oil demand growth. At least not past 2020.

Oh - and in related news: isn't it amazing how the perception seems to turn? I mean for years, the story with electric cars of VW, BMW & the like was "oh yea, sure we will have a great EV - but that's 5 to 7 years away. In the meantime, you may want to buy a reliable and clean Diesel"

For supercars, for sedans and for semis, this has turned now: from Daimler, Cummins, MAN, Mitsubishi (trucks), to Audi, Mercedes, BMW (Model 3) to Porsche, Bugatti (Roadster) the argument now is: you either deliver soon, or you run the risk of losing your market to a Tesla in 2018/2019/2020. And unlike 10 years ago, Tesla is now recognised being an actual threat. (You should read the German forums fuming about the Tesla announcements - it is like a 100x Seeking Alpha vitriol...)

THIS!

Also, did you notice that Daimler announced that they will have electric versions of their light delivery vans this morning? In fact, you can order them now, when they will be delivered is not really known yet. They were so fast with their press release that their marketing website was still offline this morning when the news hit the internet...

"The new eVito – range of around 150 km." Is this a sell as many as you can before Tesla can commercialize the service Model X they are building?

Reactions: neroden and jhm
"The new eVito – range of around 150 km." Is this a sell as many as you can before Tesla can commercialize the service Model X they are building?

It is a complete joke - especially if you consider that Nissan has the E-NV200 for more than 10k Euros less... But hey, they are trying. And that's at least something. Oh, I forgot - of course you get the Nissan today and you need to wait for the Daimler but then Daimler is also the company that passed on the Streetscooter when Deutsche Post was looking for a partner to make the electric delivery vehicle and who then tried to secretly test the Streetscooter by giving a fake name/address... So I'm not really hopeful about Daimler's electric ambitions.

I know this is going to come as a surprise, but it turns out global solar demand projections for 2017 were off by a bit. Shocking!

China on Pace for Record Solar-Power Installations

Put it this way...in July Bloomberg was predicting China would install 30GW of solar for all of 2017. Little did they know, the Chinese had already surpassed 30GW by that point. New 2017 estimates are for 54GW, which is also probably going to end up short as well.

As we inch toward US tariffs on Chinese panels, lord only knows how much they'll install next year. Another group in this article has raised their 2018 estimate from 40GW to 55GW(a figure likely lower than this year's total). I wonder if the zero growth estimate will turn out to be incorrect?

I'm starting to think that peak oil demand is coming faster than we think. Perhaps 2022 isn't unreasonable.
a little tiny blip of info about China and PV, based on Terawatt hours per year
2.6 TWh 2011
3.6 TWh 2012
8.4 TWh 2013
23.5 TWh2014
38.5 TWh 2015
66.2 TWh2016
71.5% growth rate in 2016
84.6% growth rate 2005 - 2016
19.9% share of world wide production/use in 2016
(data, BP-Statistical-review-of-world-energy-2017)

Hmm, it looks like they could be interested in electric trailers with refrigeration too.
Interesting how this could affect distribution center processing. Today a semi backs up to the distribution center and it's loaded. If you have all electric truck and trailer, would it be more affective to drive through the distribution center and load the truck from the sides? There could be many process assumptions based on toxic diesel trucks that could be completely changed.

Shale Hedges Threaten The Oil Rally | OilPrice.com
Shale producers have been loading up on hedges. Average price around $52, covering about 80% of production.

WTI futures curve has fallen into backwardation. This hedging will continue to hold it down.

There is the risk that more production will be hedged than is needed to meet demand. Locking in oversupply could crush prices. I'm not sure if this scenario is locked in yet, but the longer spot prices prop up futures, the more likely this becomes. Speculators buying futures with no intent of taking delivery would be playing a central role in financing oversupply.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Informative
Shale Hedges Threaten The Oil Rally | OilPrice.com
Shale producers have been loading up on hedges. Average price around $52, covering about 80% of production.

WTI futures curve has fallen into backwardation. This hedging will continue to hold it down.

There is the risk that more production will be hedged than is needed to meet demand. Locking in oversupply could crush prices. I'm not sure if this scenario is locked in yet, but the longer spot prices prop up futures, the more likely this becomes. Speculators buying futures with no intent of taking delivery would be playing a central role in financing oversupply.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Have you had a chance to read the PDFs on this link?Shale Bubble

Did you guys see this one: Is peak oil demand in sight? | McKinsey & Company

Light vehicles. McKinsey’s latest automotive consensus suggests that by 2030, electric vehicles (including hybrids and battery-powered plug-in vehicles) could represent close to 50 percent of new cars sold in China, the European Union, and the United States, and about 30 percent globally. Also, for the first time, our business-as-usual case includes autonomous-vehicle adoption and car sharing. If the market penetration of electric, autonomous, and shared vehicles accelerates, oil demand driven by light vehicles could be approximately 3 million barrels lower in 2035 than assumed in the business-as-usual case. Together, this accelerated adoption of light-vehicle technologies and the adjustment of plastics demand could reduce 2035 oil demand by nearly 6 million barrels per day. An important result is that oil demand will peak around 2030, at fewer than 100 million barrels per day in this scenario.

A tad conservative if you ask me.

Have you had a chance to read the PDFs on this link?Shale Bubble
I remember reading that many years ago. At the time I thought peak oil supply was a problem and that biofuels were a necessary substitute. Then I discovered Tesla. I came to realize that EVs were a much more efficient and cost effective way to power cars from renewables than biofuels consumed by ICE vehicles ever could be. I sold off biofuels stocks which I only ever lost money on. This was well in advance of the oil collapse. So glad I saw the light in time.