Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the refinery plans Exxon has are not inconsistent with the view that US will continue to produce more light crude, while demand for diesel peaks around 2023, and gasoline peaks about 5 years later. Basically, refineries that have to import heavy crude to produce an oversupply of diesel will be very poorly positioned and may be forced into early retirement as demand for diesel in US accelerates its decline. (Yes, it is already post peak.)

Aramco has a different problem. They want to be sure that the Indian refinery continues to use crude from Saudi Arabia. So this is a play to lock in access to the last important market for oil exporters.

Both of these strategies may be construed a defensive accommodation to peak oil demand which will play out differently by product and by country. It makes sense for bid players like Aramco and Exxon to try to position their investments to have the best staying power in the face of demand erosion. Poorly positioned players will suffer the biggest losses first. The industry will likely consolidate as it contracts, as poorly positioned assets get sold off for pennies on the dollar. Well positioned companies with strong balance sheets will be able to buy out the weak ones.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Saudis come to the WH and this administration is OK with playing a supporting actor role in an Iranian destabilization drama. WTF are we doing?

* Edit: US stockpiles up 5M last week, Brent up $1.50 today

US crude oil inventories seasonally increase in 1Q, but this year's increase has been half of seasonal norms, meaning 2Q could see large draws.

This is also evident in the large draws that have occurred in product inventories and total oil inventories across ROW at multi-year record rates.

Prices are just starting to reflect these facts, and I expect prices to accelerate even further throughout the coming weeks and months until 4Q18.

The world needs Tesla, badly, to build out the next round of Gigafactories, but that won't happen until 2020/21.

Last edited:
"Stronger oil fundamentals and investor inflows have been the catalyst for higher oil prices, but adding further support now is a focus on several geopolitical risks that have been looming over oil markets for a while," said analysts at Citi. (Nov 8, 2017)

Now the sole path to the wealthiest people in the world gaining more wealth is war. Wonderful.

So here we are....nearly a year after the Saudis met with hedge fund managers and decided manipulating US stockpiles was the route to a successful IPO and limiting shale. Shipments to the US are half or less than average, China is rapidly de-carbonizing infrastructure, everything is trending toward Saudi doom.

MBS just met with London to secure a massive load of weapons and now sits in a room with a man willing to nuke North Korea. He'll be locking in further US support plus procuring weapons and dual-use nuclear technology. What could possibly go wrong?

There are no other steps OPEC can take to maintain Saudi power. The war that's been in the back of their minds for decades is the only route to medium term oil relevance and they're operating in an environment with no one to hold them back.

So here we are....nearly a year after the Saudis met with hedge fund managers and decided manipulating US stockpiles was the route to a successful IPO and limiting shale. Shipments to the US are half or less than average, China is rapidly de-carbonizing infrastructure, everything is trending toward Saudi doom.

MBS just met with London to secure a massive load of weapons and now sits in a room with a man willing to nuke North Korea. He'll be locking in further US support plus procuring weapons and dual-use nuclear technology. What could possibly go wrong?

There are no other steps OPEC can take to maintain Saudi power. The war that's been in the back of their minds for decades is the only route to medium term oil relevance and they're operating in an environment with no one to hold them back.
Oh the irony if world decarbonization leads to the complete destabilization of the Middle East, leading to widespread conflict which does more damage than the decarbonization eliminated.

Oh the irony if world decarbonization leads to the complete destabilization of the Middle East, leading to widespread conflict which does more damage than the decarbonization eliminated.
The destabilization of the ME has always been a component of the Age of Oil and will continue as long as the world relies on oil for economic growth. Decarbonization is the only out of the this cycle. It is not decarbonization that destabilizes, but rather the attempt to cling to oil-derived political power that can destabilize the region.

This is one of the reasons why I get so frustrated with entities that forecast a delayed oil peak. It simply perpetuates the status quo power balance and leaves whole countries unprepared for changes that are underway.

Oil Traders, Supermajors Diverge On Demand Forecasts | OilPrice.com

This is a good overview of how there is a divergence of outlook on oil demand within the oil industry. I think the author and others are starting to get pervasiveness of technology's assault on oil demand.

There is a veritable race for more efficient, cheaper, greener solutions for every single segment of the energy. Given the sheer amount of innovation that is going on across the world with the ultimate aim to dethrone oil as the king of energy, chances are that the challenges for the oil and gas industry are indeed significant. The sooner everyone acknowledges them, the better.

The basic mistake many have been making is to focus on a single threat and then to downplay that threat in terms of limited scope in displacing oil. For example, EV is often synonymous with a small passenger vehicle that happens to be electric. Well, as a narrow segment, this is only small fraction of oil demand at risk, easily dismissed. But when you recognize that the same battery packs, drive units and other tech in the Model 3 will also flow into the Semi and achieve compelling economics, then you realize that the threat is much, much bigger than anyone in the industry expected. Moreover, it is much harder to predict just how slowly uptake of EVs will be when the technology is creeping into every transportation segment in land, sky and sea. Some segments will see faster growth than other, and this difference is likely to be driven more by the relative economics of it than regulation. Simply put, regulators are not taking a comprehensive approach to all the ways batteries can displace fuel. So any analysis that leans on policy will be limited to the scope that politicians have in mind, and that is way too limited.

But the scope is even bigger than just batteries. As the author correctly observes, there is a technology race for every segment of energy. Demand erosions is happening at all fronts and from multiple, competing technologies. Competition will even force technologies that use oil to be become more efficient. For example, competition from battery electric semis will force diesel and diesel hybrid semis to become more fuel efficient. Also CNG and LNG enter the mix too to deliver cleaner and lower fuel cost per mile. Either way, they will become more efficient so as to remain competitive longer or they will be replace faster by BE semis. So the nature of competition is to drive off oil demand faster through all competing technologies than any one technology could displace oil on its own. The diesel cost per mile will have to fall either through higher MPG or lower price per gallon. Either way, volume or price, the total revenue from diesel must retreat as competition advances on all fronts.

I think once OPEC is forced to recognize the full scope of technological encroachment on oil markets, it will need to change its strategy. The one thing that feeds all these competing technologies is a high price for oil. The relative market power of OPEC was high when oil was the only game in town. But relative to all markets where technology competes (which is all markets), OPEC has just a tiny sliver of market share. Thus, it really does not have the market power it used to have. Without market power, OPEC will need to accept competitive market pricing for oil, not oligopoly pricing. In a truly competitive market, you do not gain any economic advantage from withholding supply to push up prices. OPEC is losing market to a broad spectrum of technologies. Pump-at-will may actually be the most economical strategy for the long term. This would keep prices at a minimum, which in turn would minimize the investments made into competing technologies. All out production is the only way to slow the encroachment of technology. I doubt that OPEC will see the wisdom of this anytime soon.

the biggest risk now for the wealthy middle east is not war or oil price, its diabetes.

Diabetes Kuwait take Kuwait as an example, if 14.6% of Kuwaitis are diabetic. And there is a strong correlation between age and type 2 diabetes, then we're looking at ~ 30% likelihood of diabetes for people over age 35. (and thats ignoring both pre-diabetes and insulin resistance) This has profound health and well being implications. I choose Kuwait as a proxy for Saudi, because Kuwait is smaller and better measured.

There is some push for Veganism in Saudi Saudis going vegan, often to avoid obesity but this is so cruel. When the average person substitutes non-meats for meats, they tend to do so via increasing carbohydrates (particularly sugars) and vegetable oils. This results in greater ghrelin production in the person, leading to increased over-eating and greater obesity and diabetes. The phrase out of the fire and into the fire comes to mind.

I disagree. Decarbonizing would make it so there no reason to care what happens in middle East. Do they have nukes? No, they have oil and that's it. As soon as oil is not important then no one will care what happens there. It's sad, because they have had decades to prepare for this and to some extent they have in places like Dubai. But the Saudis are still somewhat barbaric.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I see oil went up today 2% Brent, 2.5% WTI. What prompted your call this morning?

So many things are piling up... nothing in particular, but yea I think I saw the Saudi news mentioned above on my Twitter feed at 5 am in the morning, and if that's the intention when the market is already so undersupplied... I don't know, the energy situation is not looking good for the world, and I really hope Tesla can ramp a lot quicker than currently expected/guided.

I've said this before: the world needs Tesla, and now, not in 2025.

Reactions: jhm and Reciprocity
CAFE standards might be eased as well. I think this will actually be better for Tesla. What will happen is that GM and the rest will make more giant SUVs. Those giant SUVs will drive up the cost of fuel. That will make EVs more appealing and more affordable. Companies will focus more on real EVs and less on compliance cars for CAFE standards and ZEV credits. Instead they will focus on making great EVs because they are getting whipped by Tesla on the high end.

More consumption could make the oil crash even larger by magnifying it a bit. If prices rise to 80 a barrel, then oil companies might invest more in new oil rigs and exploration. So they will barrow a bunch of money to hit those goals, but that will happen right around the time when the market tanks and we enter recession. That's my forecast and I am sticking to it..haha.

Reactions: neroden