Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that @neroden would agree that Shale is not financially sustainable. This guy argues the same:
Is The Oil Industry Repeating A Critical Error | OilPrice.com

I'm not sure I fully agree with the rest of his post. And I do think that the situation with regards to oil demand substitution is very different today from 2008. So I would argue whatever oil demand is lost today is unlikely to recover once oil prices are cheaper again. I had not previously reflected on the fact, that Canadian oil sands and fracking were both not financially viable, yet fracking kept getting money from their investors while oil sands didn't...
Yeah, the interesting observation in this article is that peak oil thinkers had not imagined that shale investors would be willing to sustain so much cash burn. Of course, the glamour of having an oil supply once production enters structural decline may have proven deceptive. Investors can be quite willing to sustain cash burn in hopes of some big pay off when the market is tight. One need only take an option theoretic point of view to see how even a well that is expected to lose money can have value as a sort of put option on future oil price spikes. This sort of option value also supports holding ever bigger stockpiles.

Reactions: SebastianR
Yeah, the interesting observation in this article is that peak oil thinkers had not imagined that shale investors would be willing to sustain so much cash burn. Of course, the glamour of having an oil supply once production enters structural decline may have proven deceptive. Investors can be quite willing to sustain cash burn in hopes of some big pay off when the market is tight. One need only take an option theoretic point of view to see how even a well that is expected to lose money can have value as a sort of put option on future oil price spikes. This sort of option value also supports holding ever bigger stockpiles.

I thought a bit more about your comment and honestly I have a problem understanding this: I get the basic rationale outlined by you. But then I don't get the structural difference between US shale and Canadian oil sands. I mean yes, I may hold onto an investment that's losing me money right now, if that will give a massive payoff in future, but wouldn't that be the same for the Canadian investments? Or is the difference really solely due to access to Wall St. / legal / capital market structural differences between the US and Canada?

Reactions: jhm
Another -5% day for Brent as this looming supply crunch seems less certain.

Oil Falls as Traders Anticipate Higher Supply

It would be interesting to have insight into contracts US frackers have signed over the last couple months. They seemed overjoyed to have WTI back over $60 at the beginning of the year.....how much more future production has $74 created?

Certainly we're absorbing any increased global demand and then some. Doesn't Russia want a piece of the action? Doesn't SA need a piece of the action?

• Disagree
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I thought a bit more about your comment and honestly I have a problem understanding this: I get the basic rationale outlined by you. But then I don't get the structural difference between US shale and Canadian oil sands. I mean yes, I may hold onto an investment that's losing me money right now, if that will give a massive payoff in future, but wouldn't that be the same for the Canadian investments? Or is the difference really solely due to access to Wall St. / legal / capital market structural differences between the US and Canada?
It think there are difference is costs and quality of crude that could explain the differences in investment. Also one key advantage that shale has if a fast investment cycle. For example, deep water projects have a very long investment cycle and high cost, so not as attractive as an option on short cycle, low cost shale. So if you think of an oil field as a set of call option, they will vary in strike price, underlying (quality specific market index) and duration.

So now there is this: Chinese Oil Demand Growth Could Slow Down Soon | OilPrice.com

If the teapots are really shutting down much of their imports, this could be the end of oil demand growth in China.

Mod: edited typo "teapods" to "teapots", mentioned in the article. --ggr.

I saw this too. A tax change is changing the profitability of the teapot refiners. So the bigger story here is what political and policy issues are driving the tax change. Specifically, I wonder if the government is pursuing this as a way to reduce dependency on imported oil. They have also cut back on subsidies for EV, so an increase in taxes on motor fuels would also support migration to EVs. Imposing these taxes now might also curtail expansion of refinery capacity and avoid asset stranding in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Another -5% day for Brent as this looming supply crunch seems less certain.

Oil Falls as Traders Anticipate Higher Supply

It would be interesting to have insight into contracts US frackers have signed over the last couple months. They seemed overjoyed to have WTI back over $60 at the beginning of the year.....how much more future production has $74 created?

Certainly we're absorbing any increased global demand and then some. Doesn't Russia want a piece of the action? Doesn't SA need a piece of the action?
Brent Futures Curve | ERCE

These futures curves are interesting to look at. I wish they had something newer.

Oil Market Shifts From Contango to Backwardation: Implications for Investors
This is a nice little explainer that highlights when the futures curve flipped from contango to backwardation.

In backwardation if the spot price stays constant, you can get a yield from buying a long dated future at below the current spot price. Then as time passes the value of the future increases to meet the spot price.

So this is the basic incentive for traders to go long on futures. This in turn provides hedging for oil producers to sell futures on their future production stream. Of course, if producers produce too much, the spot price will fall. So the producer who hedges is transferring that market risk to the futures investor.

Recall that in contango a physical oil trader could buy oil at spot, sell a future at above spot and store the oil to service the futures contract. Thus in a contango market, the market is paying for the storage of physical oil. Conversely in backwardation, if you are storing oil, you are incentivized to sell oil into the spot market. The market is paying futures investors to finance increased production.

With these basics in mind, if should not be surprising to supply continue to grow during a backwaradtion market with stable spot prices.

Electricity Investment Exceeds Oil, Gas For Second Year In A Row | OilPrice.com

The shift in energy investments from fossils to electricity is pretty important.

Let's look at the competition.
Regarding the U.S. shale industry, the IEA noted that it “is becoming a financially sustainable business.” In the previous shale boom that was snapped by the oil price crash in 2014, U.S. shale producers used to spend up to US$1.80 per each dollar they earned as revenues. Now the industry has nearly halved its breakeven price, providing a more sustainable basis for future expansion and underpinning a record expected increase in U.S. light tight oil production of 1.3 million bpd in 2018, the IEA said.

The industry appears on track to achieve positive free cash flow for the first time ever this year, turning into a more mature and financially solid industry while production is growing at its fastest pace ever,” the IEA’s Executive Director Fatih Birol said.

So all this time Tesla has been burning cash to bring EVs to market, they've been in competition with a segment of oil industry willing to burn cash at a massive scale to bring incremental supply to the market.

So if shale producers are near to becoming free cash flow positive, so is Tesla. We shall see how investments flow around such alternatives.

• Funny
upload_2018-7-18_17-24-36.png

EV Sales: Global June '18 Top 5 - Half game bet

1st is japanese but globally produced
2nd is chinese
3rd is USA
4th is japanese
5th is chinese

1st is 40kWh
2nd is 20kWh
3rd is 80kWh
4th is 9kWh
5th is 13 or 16 kWh

so EVs are 40kWh +100% -50%
PHEVs are 9kWh + 50% or 80%

1,2,3,5 are from motivated companies, 4th is a reluctant entry.
1st and 4th are from 2 of the world's top 3 car companies, good for transition from oil to electrons.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm and mspohr
"Sentiment", as they call it. For some reason, the frackers are slicker salesmen and can get more dumb money out of Wall Street than the Canadian oil sands guys.

• Funny
Reactions: jhm and SebastianR
Electricity Investment Exceeds Oil, Gas For Second Year In A Row | OilPrice.com

The shift in energy investments from fossils to electricity is pretty important.

Let's look at the competition.

So all this time Tesla has been burning cash to bring EVs to market, they've been in competition with a segment of oil industry willing to burn cash at a massive scale to bring incremental supply to the market.

So if shale producers are near to becoming free cash flow positive, so is Tesla. We shall see how investments flow around such alternatives.

Soooo they're down from spending $1.80 for each dollar of revenue to spending $0.90 for each dollar of revenue, and all they had to do was to shut down operations in every single field except the Permian, which is half conventional oil anyway?

I am so unimpressed by the shale oil guys.

Oil Market Shifts From Contango to Backwardation: Implications for Investors
This is a nice little explainer that highlights when the futures curve flipped from contango to backwardation.

In backwardation if the spot price stays constant, you can get a yield from buying a long dated future at below the current spot price. Then as time passes the value of the future increases to meet the spot price.

So this is the basic incentive for traders to go long on futures. This in turn provides hedging for oil producers to sell futures on their future production stream. Of course, if producers produce too much, the spot price will fall. So the producer who hedges is transferring that market risk to the futures investor.

Recall that in contango a physical oil trader could buy oil at spot, sell a future at above spot and store the oil to service the futures contract. Thus in a contango market, the market is paying for the storage of physical oil. Conversely in backwardation, if you are storing oil, you are incentivized to sell oil into the spot market. The market is paying futures investors to finance increased production.

With these basics in mind, if should not be surprising to supply continue to grow during a backwaradtion market with stable spot prices.

I'm going to propose a different interpretation. Suppose that the markets have *finally* caught up with peak demand theory and are expecting a long-term drop in the value of oil, and that this is driving a long-term downward sloping futures curve.

The market reaction should now drive the emptying of inventory at the front end. We'll see if this is sufficient to restore front-end contango. The normal shape of the oil futures curve is humped -- contango in the short term, backwardation in the long term.

Reactions: jhm
View attachment 317654

EV Sales: Global June '18 Top 5 - Half game bet

1st is japanese but globally produced
2nd is chinese
3rd is USA
4th is japanese
5th is chinese

1st is 40kWh
2nd is 20kWh
3rd is 80kWh
4th is 9kWh
5th is 13 or 16 kWh

so EVs are 40kWh +100% -50%
PHEVs are 9kWh + 50% or 80%

1,2,3,5 are from motivated companies, 4th is a reluctant entry.
1st and 4th are from 2 of the world's top 3 car companies, good for transition from oil to electrons.
Nice! I like the idea of measuring sales in units of MWh, which you can get to by multiplication.