Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me how gas prices can be down nearly 10 cents across South Jersey over the last 3 weeks?

I've certainly seen pump prices stay flat with swings in the oil markets, but to drift down so much while WTI has skyrocketed struck me as......weird.

Could there be that significant of an oversupply? Aren't we in or nearing a maintenance cycle?
Refinery stuff, maybe? I wouldn't expect this inconsistency to last too long....

Unless we use a WWII style of urgency and move our nation towards renewable energy....
I think policy is good, but sometimes a mellow push us better than an emergency alarm. The Bush era all energy buffet policy was not great, but as a natl security program, rather than purely an energy program it was successful. I think putting a new 10 year timeline on solar and wind subsides declining in equal 10% increments every year would encourage adoption. A cash for clunkers, but done cheap. Offer 2k for any car under 20mpg not meeting clean air requirements. For a couple billion you encourage newer cleaner car sales and make the roads cleaner and safer.

I would like a modest carbon tax, but don’t think big incentives work, or often have unintended consequences. Anything high would be too divisive to pass anyhow.

Fuel Oil Isn’t Going Anywhere | OilPrice.com

Interesting update on how refiners are preparing for ISO2020. If residual oil goes cheap enough, it may be used for power generation in place of coal. I suspect the at the price needs to come down to about $20/b to compete with coal/gas at $3/mmbtu, while currently it fuel oil is about $66/b. Notice that fuel oil is already cheaper than crude, but it need to come down about 70% to compete with coal. If electrification of HD vehicles were already in earnest, perhaps refiners would question the financial prospects for investing in new equipment to crack fuel oil into lighter distillates. These upgrades might not return a long-term ROI. The risk goes up the more aggregate capacity is added across the industry.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
https://jalopnik.com/this-new-emissions-test-has-completely-blown-apart-the-1829460988

Germany is having a hard time adjusting to new WLTP pollution regulations. Looks like they are going to have to replace all of the old polluting diesels.

"Things are not looking good for the supposedly most advanced and technically able auto industry in the world. The day of regulatory reckoning is here, in The Morning Shift for Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018."

(Hard to call an industry which doesn't/can't make EVs "the most advanced and technically able")

Marathon just announced their bailing on certain offshore projects and moving into Permian. I think frackers can pump at this rate or more for 3-5 years with ease.
I disagree. Apparently, after the big oil companies got wise to the fact that fracked wells ran out much faster than normal wells, the frackers started using even more tricks to front-load the oil production. Where half the lifetime production would have been produced in 3 years in a early fracked well, in today's fracked well, half the lifetime production is produced in the first year. The production rate dropoffs are cliff-like. They've already given up on all formations other than the Bakken and the Permian, and the Bakken has already peaked. With everybody and his brother rushing into the Permian, they have maybe 1 or 2 years before the supply crashes.

Demand may crash before that, or OPEC may "open the spigots". But anyway, the inevitable very-near-term end of the US fracking business is the only possible supply shock I see on the horizon. I don't see any others.

I'm in the neighborhood of that logic, just seems to be way too many big boys flooding into the Permian for just a couple year's profit.

Even if it's just 1 or 2 years, how in the world does that equate to a "looming supply crunch"? Our net demand should be plummeting. China is flat. OPEC is closer to minimum production than max.

I guess we could logically say that avg global production costs are up 3x in the last 15 years, but that doesn't get me to $85 under any rational market pricing.

Egypt Feels The Squeeze Of Higher Oil Prices | OilPrice.com

Here is an interesting case in subsiding gasoline and diesel, even as natural gas resources will become a net export.

Egypt consumes about 200M barrels of motor fuel per year. With oil at $67/b, this is subsidized to the tune of $5B or 60c/gal. If oil goes to $80 or $100, this subsidy grows to $8B 94c/gal and $12.3B 147c/gal. High oil prices threaten to break the national budget, which can compromise the economy in other ways.

So with an abundance of natural gas and sun, EVs would be a natural choice for Egypt. Just to bring EVs upto parity with the subsidies at 60c, 94c and 147c per gallon would imply a per new passenger EV subsidy of $3000, $4700, and $7350 respectively. That's how much an EV driver would be saving the government over the next 10 years.

In reality, higher subsidies could be warranted. Firstly, EVs protect government finances and the general economy against volatility in oil prices. So this easily gets to a $7500 subsidy. Beyond that the economy creates more jobs harnessing domestic natural gas and renewables to generate power for electric vehicles. Additionally, spurring domestic demand for natural gas may be more financially rewarding to gas producers than exporting gas. Trade balance is improved by importing less fuel. Reducing fuel demand will also help keep the price of oil lower. Finally, Egypt can have cleaner air and do it's part to cut GHG emissions.

So altogether, perhaps a $10k subsidy per passenger EV is well supported. Anything below $3k is actually a negative net subsidy against EVs, promoting ICE purchases. Likewise, electric buses and trucks can have a big impact on reducing oil subsidies.

I hope the Egyptian government can figure this out. The country has much to gain by embracing renewables and EVs.

Last edited:
Interesting paper on financing of future renewable energy investment. They argue that there are some fundamental differences (lower risk, lower geopolitical risk, local currency) that make it a safer, lower cost investment.
Energy Transition: The Greatest Switch Capital Markets Have Ever Seen | CleanTechnica

CPI analysis suggests that the transition could have a significant impact on financial markets. Under current industry and investment models, governments and large energy companies would need to increase their annual investment by 20–30%. However, in a more optimal world, we have also found that global investment by both the public and large energy companies could fall 10–30%. Institutional investors, commercial lenders, new types of energy funds, and households will make up the difference. But this require new investment concepts, dedicated and well thought out transition mechanisms, and new energy market designs. The choice is ours to make.

Clean Energy Investment Trust: financial innovation for pension funds & insurers « Energy Finance

Reactions: neroden and jhm
Australia says "thanks, but no thanks" to fossil fuel power plants:
"Since going online last year, Tesla’s Powerpack farm in South Australia has established a reputation for being a quick, clean, and efficient backup to the region’s beleaguered energy grid. As the big battery continues to prove its critics wrong, the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) has announced that it would no longer be needing the services of several fossil fuel-powered plants, which supported the grid prior to the arrival of the Tesla Powerpack Farm. "

Tesla's Powerpack battery farm starts killing fossil fuel backup plants in Australia

Mexico Could Cut Electricity Prices By 40% With Renewables | OilPrice.com

Wow, if Mexico really can cut the cost of electricity by 40% using renewables, I don't see why they would move on this more quickly. And of course an abundance of cheap renewable energy makes electrification of transport even more attractive. Do it, Mexico.
If Mexico just follows the standard worldwide growth curve for solar, they'll be at 100% renewables by approximately 2026. The business council is setting lowball targets of 50% by 2050.

That said, it's good to hear this sort of stuff from a *business council*.

Interesting paper on financing of future renewable energy investment. They argue that there are some fundamental differences (lower risk, lower geopolitical risk, local currency) that make it a safer, lower cost investment.
Energy Transition: The Greatest Switch Capital Markets Have Ever Seen | CleanTechnica
Thanks for the article. I'm not sure we are doing enough to make sure this part happens though.....

But with planning, well defined and executed transition paths, avoidance of investment in new assets that risk stranding, international support, and new financial tools and insurance products, the systemic impact of this concentration of risk can be avoided, allowing the global economy to enjoy the overall economic upside of a lower carbon economy, along with the clear environmental benefits.

" But there are worries that the pledge to put more power into the hands of Petrobras and increase domestic oil production would come into conflict with environmental commitments."

Why would the Mexican President Elect put more power into the hands of Petrobras (Petro Brasil) at the expense of Pemex (Petróleos Mexicanos)? LOL
Yo no sé. Nice catch.