Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peak gasoline demand looms with engine efficiency gains

WoodMac now projects demand peak for gasoline in 2018 for US and in 2021 for globe. They note that use of batteries in vehicles is key to increasing efficiency. WoodMac is an industry analytics house, so their outlook tends to be quite favorable to attracting capital to the oil and gas industries. So with that bias in mind, I think this is quite a serious move to project a peak so early. They must really see things moving quickly that they do not want their credibility within the industry to suffer for missing an important event like peak demand for gasoline.

That said, this article is still pushing the narrative that diesel has much longer to go before peaking. There is a view that somehow EVs are limited to displacing only light gas powered vehicles.

"We still see global oil demand growing but the role of
transportation shrinks," Gelder said.
Growth will be driven by the petrochemical sector, which
uses oil feedstocks to produce plastics, as well as demand for
diesel and gasoil from the commercial transportation sector,
particularly buses, ships and planes, he added.

The oil industry seems to be moving through the stage of grief. Having passed through denial and anger, now they show signs of bargaining. What I see is a willingness to accept that gasoline demand may be declining, but they still hold out for petrochemicals and diesel. So there is this mythology that trucks, buses, ships and planes cannot be electrified. In reality buses are at immanent risk of full electrification as we have discussed. Trucks are next in line. Ships are moving toward hybrid drivetrains and possibly LNG as a fuel. Electric planes are probably furthest out developmentally, but hey hydrogen is the most energy dense fuel there is. And of course, natural gas liquids are super feedstock for petrochemicals, so there is no need for crude to trade at a huge premium to natural gas when all that is left is petrochemicals and cheap BTUs. So the industry seems to be negotiating for a new future. "Hey, the transportation sector will shrink, but we still have other markets to grow in." It's a long journey to acceptance.

So the battery is undermining virtually all uses of oil, save as asphalt and tar. Even in petrochemicals, batteries will enable solar and wind to continue to drive natural gas out of the power and heating markets which leaves a surplus to compete in the petrochemical feedstock market, along with agricultural feedstock I might add. The question oil econometricians should be asking is what are the most profitable applications for batteries. As the Gigafactories of the world scale up, these batteries will seek out the most profitable niches to penetrate first. So this means that the most profitable petroleum products may well be the most vulnerable to disruption. The volumetric framing around crude is very misleading. Batteries will seek out the most vulnerable profits derived from oil and gas and deflate those first. BTW the next generation of biofuels and bio sourced materials will do the same. So from every conceivable angle technologies will erode profit margins for petroleum products. Once you take away the need for massive quantities of transport fuels, there may be little profit left calling up crude. At the very least, refineries are going to need to get much more sophisticated around synthetic chemistry. If the profitable market for crude comes down to jet fuel, plasticizers and asphalt, what do refiners do with rest of the barrel? So synthetic chemistry, which can convert any hydrocarbon into any target molecule, will be needed to correct the imbalance. But this synthetic chemistry is fairly agnostic to feedstock be it crude, natural gas or renewable organic sources. The analogy that comes to mind here is beef. If there was not a market for fine cuts of beef, then a cow would only be worth ground beef. But if there was not even a market for ground beef, but simply fats, sugars and proteins that can be rendered into feedstock for making plastic, then would ranchers even bother to raise beef at all. Cattle ranching only makes sense if consumers actually want to eat beef. In a completely vegan culture, there is no cattle market (except perhaps as an object of worship). So point here is that if crude oil is reduced to simply being a chemical feed stock and not consumed as a combustible fuel, will crude oil lose its reason for being? That is a long, long path from where we are right now, but that path beings with eroding the most profitable cuts of oil first. So oil econometricians need to get a view on how profit erosion will proceed.

The big question for oil is, after demand for gasoline peaks, how does the oil industry remain profitable? Saying, hey, there'll still be lots of demand for crude, is still way deep in denial.

chart (1).png

I think I know why WoodMac is focusing on peak gasoline demand in the US. Peak demand for distillates was 4196 kbpd in 2007. In 2015 it is at 3995 kbpd, and it looks like the 2007 peak may stand. Likewise jet fuel had a peak in 2000 at 1725 kbpd, and with 1548 kbpd, it looks like the 2000 peak could stand. But what about gasoline? It had a peak in 2007 at 9286 kbpd, and is at 9178 kbpd in 2005. It looks like it could continue to trend up a post a new peak.

Indeed, using monthly data as the annuals are not yet available, it looks like 2016 comes in a 9327 kbpd, an new peak. Also in 2016 distillates fall further to 3877 kbpd, while jet fuel is still well below peak at 1606 kbpd.

So once the annual figures come from EIA, analysts like WoodMac are going to have a quite a story to tell. Diesel and jet fuel have long peaked in the US, and diesel consumption is declining further in spite of low fuel prices. But the "good" news is that gasoline is at a new peak. What? So I think WoodMac is getting out in front of this story. Gasoline consumption could in deed start to decline in this year or next. So WoodMac is putting a pre-emptive positive spin on this by suggesting that the peak for gasoline could happen "as early as" 2018.

Consumer demand for gasoline is fairly weak. The 2007 peak happened because that great recession stalled the economy. So recent gains are just economic recovery. But distillates are now telling a story that well past recovery from the recession, demand is declining for non-economic reasons. This will be a hard message for the the oil industry to deal with. The next shoe to fall is gasoline demand. So WoodMac and other industry PR outfits need to assure everyone that gasoline demand is good for at least a couple more years.

So how do we know that gasoline demand could fall in 2017 or 2018, before the WoodMac peak? Hmm, what's selling in the new car market? Folks, demand growth is so weak, a couple of EVs might just break the camel's back.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The EV Myth – Electric Car Threat To Oil Is Wildly Overstated | OilPrice.com

Oy vey. I wrote an extensive rebuttal to this, but toward the end accidentally reloaded the page and lost my dissertation.

Anyway, it is good to chew on this argument to see how it breaks down.

Bill Gates once observed that technological change is overhyped for short term effect, but under appreciated for the long term.

Yes, short term, EV has only a mythical demand on oil, There is about 1 million plugin vehicles on the worlds' roads and about 1 billion non plugin vehicles on the world's roads. That's a rounding error.

but even in the short term, just having desirable high power EVs reduces the fuel consumed by conventional cars, its abstract but having a desirable big/bad zero emission vehicle makes it OK to have efficiency used in other big/bad vehicles.

mid term, things get interesting, there is one effect I think is very major but hard to quantify.
as vehicles get a plug, their users have de-subscribed from opec. So even if there is still x units of oil demand, there ultimate bidders have less motivation/means to bid up the price of oil.

or stated another way, the price of oil has risen so that only the global rich can afford it. If the global rich opts out, then oil needs to drop price for the global poor to afford. profit is not maximized until there is curtailment of demand.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and jhm
Bill Gates once observed that technological change is overhyped for short term effect, but under appreciated for the long term.

Yes, short term, EV has only a mythical demand on oil, There is about 1 million plugin vehicles on the worlds' roads and about 1 billion non plugin vehicles on the world's roads. That's a rounding error.

but even in the short term, just having desirable high power EVs reduces the fuel consumed by conventional cars, its abstract but having a desirable big/bad zero emission vehicle makes it OK to have efficiency used in other big/bad vehicles.

mid term, things get interesting, there is one effect I think is very major but hard to quantify.
as vehicles get a plug, their users have de-subscribed from opec. So even if there is still x units of oil demand, there ultimate bidders have less motivation/means to bid up the price of oil.

or stated another way, the price of oil has risen so that only the global rich can afford it. If the global rich opts out, then oil needs to drop price for the global poor to afford. profit is not maximized until there is curtailment of demand.
I think what you're trying to express is related to demand elasticity. I thought it interesting that that oilprice.com article would try so hard to impress us with estimates of demand elesticities estimated over the last 20 years. I think the author mistakes how elesticities are quantified, which betrays a poor graspeople of the concept. Demand elasticity is the relative change in consumption per relative change in price. That much is textbook, but the important economic issue to contemplate is context. Demand elasticity is impacted by alternatives available. Twenty years ago one could not buy a Model S, LEAF or even a Prius at any price. So the alternative to consuming higher priced gasoline was to drive less or get a smaller, less powerful vehicle. Faced with such alternatives, demand for gasoline was remarkably inelastic, which ment that oil producers could pretty much ignore price as a determinant of demand. Oil was a seller's market. But over the last ten years substantial new alternative have entered the vehicle market, plug-in vehicles of all sorts. And these alternatives make gasoline demand more elastic, especially plug-in hybrids where a driver can make daily choices around switching fuels. So with greater demand elasticity oil is becoming more of a buyer's market. Consumers will simply not put up with overpriced gasoline for long. Thus it is very problematic to estimate demand elasticity over the last 20 years and expect it to stay constant for the next 20 years. It is surely going up.

Moreover, we see higher demand elasticity in commercial fleets and less affluent countries, just the segments oil producers pin their growth hopes to. At first these alternatives to gasoline powered vehicles were mostly only available to the more affluent countries. This is why oil consumption among OECD countries peaked about ten years ago. But increasingly these new alternatives will be affordable to non-OECD countries. The fossil fuel industries are essentially making a bet that non-OECD countries will remain too poor to resist awful air pollution. But this is certainly no longer true of China. Why should it continue to be the case for India, Indonesia and so on? As the cleaner technologies come down in cost, no country will pay a premium for health destroying, polluting energy. So demand elasticity for oil in developing countries will also go up, perhaps even faster than they are in developed countries.

So, yes, just the option to buy a Model S or a LEAF has already changed the economics of oil in a profound way. It has transformed oil into a buyer's market, where consumers have alternatives to oil dependency.

• Love
Twenty years ago one could not buy a Model S, LEAF or even a Prius at any price.

The first Prius went on sale at four Toyota dealerships in Tokyo on Dec 10,1997 after a prototype debut at the 1995 Tokyo Motor Show.

20 Years Ago Today Prius was a bit like Model 3. The hardcore environmentalist were waiting with bated breadth. Americans were like Europeans are today. Knowing when it would debut overseas but not knowing when they could get one here.

1997 Toyota Prius XW10
280px-1st_Toyota_Prius_--_01-13-2010.jpg

The first Prius went on sale at four Toyota dealerships in Tokyo on Dec 10,1997 after a prototype debut at the 1995 Tokyo Motor Show.

20 Years Ago Today Prius was a bit like Model 3. The hardcore environmentalist were waiting with bated breadth. Americans were like Europeans are today. Knowing when it would debut overseas but not knowing when they could get one here.

1997 Toyota Prius XW10
280px-1st_Toyota_Prius_--_01-13-2010.jpg
Thanks. I stand corrected.

I've been wondering about big oil and law suits about global warming. Like Cigarette producers, they seem to have been the first to discover the danger of their product. Unlike smokes, there has not been an alternate story for modern life, that excludes fossil fuels. What happens when fossil fuels are just an option, not a necessity? I think the NY lawsuit against Exxon for misleading their investors about potential legal costs associated with global warming is the first shot. I don't see this gaining traction in the next 3-5 years, but if EV's hit 1 million a year in US production and serious penetration of the bus and trucking industry, people will begin to look more seriously about the negative impact of particulate and other ICE fossil fuel impacts to health.
I'm doubtful the NY AG is going to win this Exxon case, but it will be the first of many. As soon as one case is won, the financial incentive for some class action bundling will be immense.
What impact on production could a winning class action have on US production?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and jhm
Off topic

http://akkuplus.de/mediafiles/Datenblatt/Panasonic/Panasonic_NCR20700B.pdf energy cell
http://akkuplus.de/mediafiles/Datenblatt/Panasonic/Panasonic_NCR20700A.pdf power cell

thats roughly 15Wh per cell, so 60kWh is 4,000 cells
some forecast the 4.25 ah cell will rise to 4.9 ah by about 2018

Help me put this in context. One cell has energy density 224 Wh/kg and the other 192 Wh/kg, but the latter is better for power. Is this what Tesla could be moving toward? What do they currently have?

Could Tesla be moving to a hybrid pack that uses too different types of cells, one for power, the other for range?

Thanks, Renim.

• Informative
Help me put this in context. .....
Could Tesla be moving to a hybrid pack that uses too different types of cells, one for power, the other for range?

Highly unlikely for Tesla to move to hybrid pack.

From a distance, Tesla buys its cells by the kWh, very energy optimised. Tesla is willing to draw out more power than other manufacturers because it is such short duration. (Tesla famous voltage sag). NCA material is itself optimal for both power and energy, so that helps.
Quantity is a quality all of its own, make a pack large enough, and it will be powerful anyway.

EVs have similar energy/power requirements to E bikes, so there could be a 4-5 year market deployment on the cells and no-one in the west would even notice.

Reactions: jhm and neroden
Will this reverse contango pressure prices down, or is this a sign that prices should rise in the next few months?

A 600,000 barrel draw down per week would take a couple years to get oil down to normal stockpile levels, currently 520 million barrels. If congress follows through and sells strategic stockpiles, it seems hard to model prices staying over $50 a barrel in the second half of 2017.

I've been wondering about big oil and law suits about global warming. Like Cigarette producers, they seem to have been the first to discover the danger of their product. Unlike smokes, there has not been an alternate story for modern life, that excludes fossil fuels. What happens when fossil fuels are just an option, not a necessity?

I should note the sequence regarding nasty things with nasty externalities:
(1) cleaner alternatives become cheap and widely available enough to be routinely considered,
(2) social disapproval arrives,
(3) losses in court cases come last.

The court cases against the polluting industry tend to be won after the polluting industry has already been hit really really hard by the market. I think we're out of (1) and well into (2) at this stage. I kind of expect the court cases to get dragged out (delay is a thing in court cases); the result will depend largely on the level of social disapproval. (Yeah, I've become a judicial realist...)

I will say this: the futures curve for WTI is looking mighty weird. As you move out into the future, the prices are up until November, down until August 2020, and then back up again. You can't call this either "normal" or "inverted". I read that the curve is typically humped (up short term then down) but the extra curve up again is unusual.

There's a substantially more technical definition for contango or backwardation (not the one usually used casually!) which describes the *change* in the futures curve, but I haven't been able to easily find historical data for said curve, so I can't tell you what's goint on there.

The thing about this is that I think the view of the oil market has become *bimodal*, which is going to cause some really weird looking futures curves. Nobody expects the price to stay the same, but some expect it to go way up and some expect it to go way down.

Will this reverse contango pressure prices down, or is this a sign that prices should rise in the next few months?

A 600,000 barrel draw down per week would take a couple years to get oil down to normal stockpile levels, currently 520 million barrels. If congress follows through and sells strategic stockpiles, it seems hard to model prices staying over $50 a barrel in the second half of 2017.
US crude inventory is 141M barrels over the five-year average for this time of year. Thus, draw down needs to be about 2.7M b/week to return to normal levels in one year.

As long as retail investors are using oil futures (instruments such as USO) to hedge inflation risk, there will be just enough contango in front months to keep surplus oil in storage. I rather suspect that US inventory will not return to 360 Mb levels, but will normalize perhaps around 500 Mb. Essentially, this is a theory about the financialization of oil, specifically that investors wish to hold oil as a financial asset. Gold and silver have been financialized commodities for centuries. People and institutions hold precious metal purely as a financial store of wealth. So too crude could well become "precious." Otherwise, I don't see why inventory levels should remain this high for years on end. The really frightening thing about financialization of oil is not that inventory could rise, but that production will continue to advance just to supply the investor's appetite to hold crude as an asset. Thus, the market could persist in oversupply indefinitely, just as gold producers continue to oversupply gold for actual consumption to satisfy an appetite to hoard gold. I'm not entirely convinced that this theory will bear out. We'll have to see how this plays longer term. For now, I just think it is plausible that the glut could be extended indefinitely.

• Informative