Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. So the long term contracts mostly existed to lock in low prices for iron ore. It seems strange that a spot market would be virtually shut out. Why would China want to break this up? Was China a net exporter of iron ore? I would have thought they were a net importer and benefited from low long term contracts.

The large mines were only given board level sanction once long term contracts were agreed because the financiers demanded it.

China did not want to break this up, just the opposite, but jailing the other side's negotiators has consequences.

China is a big importer of iron ore, their global ascendancy created huge pressure in the market, which broke the long term contract system.
This was to China, Japan and Korea's disadvantage.

Spot pricing has cost the USA an immense amount of money over time. A truly staggering amount.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
OPEC’s Influence Is Fading.. But Don’t Count It Out Yet! | OilPrice.com

This is interesting. The author proposes a reserve liquidation theory to explain the loss of OPEC power. What is different from my use of this theory is that Tillier applies it to US and other non-OPEC producers.

There are several theories as to why OPEC’s power has been so severely reduced and as is often the case the reason is probably a combination of all of them. First, and most obviously, the U.S. and other nations have been able to increase production due to new technologies and techniques, in particular horizontal fracking. What is interesting though is why, given the opportunity to increase production, the U.S.A. and many other countries have elected to do so. That may seem like a strange question to ask, but in the past an understanding that oil was a finite resource and that it had to be used sparingly. That has, however, changed.

The irony here is that the reason for the change is the rise of alternative energy. As technology and political will advance solar, wind and other renewable energy sources to the point where they become commercially viable the pressure to preserve precious stocks of oil has lessened. The world is still dependent on oil and using it up at a pretty alarming rate, but the day when that is no longer the case is clearly in sight. Pumping like crazy isn’t as crazy as it once seemed, even for big oil companies.

In short, renewables and EV undermine the scarcity value of oil and gas holding reserves. So pump like crazy.

If this is correctly applied to US producers, it implies knowledge of peak demand that is deeper than public statements would have led us to believe.

I think by now it should be clear to industry leaders that if oil supply were sufficiently tight, EVs could double every year until the market is slack again. But it is not clear to me that the industry had such knowledge back in 2009.

• Love
'pump' like crazy is standard operating procedure for all major mineral commodities
coal, iron ore, gold, copper, nickel, aluminum
and yes, non OPEC oil importer producers like USA and Australia.
multiple reasons why, but the USA shale producers are an excellent example of a mining company mentality (as opposed to an oil company mentality)

global peak demand (by physical amount) for oil has not occurred yet, patience is still needed
global peak demand (by inflation adjusted value) for oil, most very likely has occurred, but that is likely also for at least a few other minerals also.
(aluminium, lead etc)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and jhm
This report makes a case for major disruption of both ICE and oil by Autonomous Vehicles (AV) which will be Autonomous EV (A-EV) to replace majority of individual car ownership.

Predicted timeframe for disruption starting 2021 (about when level 5 becomes legal) through 2030.

(I.e. Transportation as a Service (TaaS) bringing both peak oil and peak ICE.)

This is a link to a Tesla forum thread with minimal discussion.

Tony Seba's RethinkX Disruption Report is out | Tesla

Which includes link to report at https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...80288/Rethinking+Transportation_May_FINAL.pdf

I don't yet see a TMC thread for this though IMHO discussion on this RethinkX report deserves its own thread.

Posting here since I expect folks reading this thread to be interested.

Tesla Network is only mentioned in passing though Tesla is mentioned multiple times as both EV supplier and Autonomous technology supplier.

Edit: typo

This report makes a case for major disruption of both ICE and oil by Autonomous Vehicles (AV) which will be Autonomous EV (A-EV) to replace majority of individual car ownership.

Predicted timeframe for disruption starting 2021 (about when level 5 becomes legal) through 2030.

Which includes link to report at https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...80288/Rethinking+Transportation_May_FINAL.pdf

I don't yet see a TMC thread for this though IMHO discussion on this RethinkX report deserves its own thread.

Tesla Network is only mentioned in passing though Tesla is mentioned multiple times as both EV supplier and Autonomous technology supplier.

Thanks for posting this @landis. There's a lot of information here to take in and I'm still reading - I think I'm going to be reading for a few days :)

Is it just me, or do we keep finding reasons to shorten the timeframe / speed up the pace of disruption coming to numerous markets? I can't think of the last bit of information that suggested change was going to happen more slowly than expected.

Oil
Gas
Auto manufacturing
Public transit
Energy storage
Energy generation
Energy utilities

What an exciting time we live in!

This is interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it here.

US motorizarion rates are about 800 vehicles per 1000 inhabitants. Most European countries are around 600. Developing countries can have less than 200. While I think A-EVs have tremendous promise as fleet vehicles, I don't buy the idea that motorizarion rates will fall below 200 within the next two decades. A fall to 600 or 700 would be a tremendous improvement.

So while I don't see individual ownership (or should it be family ownership?) going away, I do think there are a few points in this analysis that are tremendously important. The first is that EVs have a marked advantage as fleet vehicles. Simply replacing ICE vehicle in fleets with EVs would greatly accelerate EV adoption and the pace at which demand for oil is displaced. High utilization is key to rapid oil disruption. This is why I am so excited about electric buses and electric semis. The fleet of all commercial road vehicles can be replaced much more quickly than the parc of private vehicles. I believe this will happen and autonomy only intensifies the pace of transition.

The second point is that driving down the consumer price of using commercial fleet vehicle can undermine the value of used ICE vehicles. This induces a knock on effect that can rapidly accelerate EV adoption both private and commercial. As the value of used ICE vehicles fall, buying a new ICE vehicle will become a risky financial proposition. Once the new car buying public realizes that EVs retain their value quite well, while ICEVs are losing value at an alarming rate, sales of new ICE will plummet. So even while EV production is not fully ramped up to some 80M, EVs could take 95% of the new car market.

Where I think the analysis breaks down is that the economics that advantage fleet EVs also advantage family ownership of EVs as well. Specifically, utilization of a 500k mile life of a vehicle does not require exclusive deployment in a commercial fleet. For example, a family could buy a new EV and own or lease it for 3 three years after while it is potentially put into fleet service where the full lifetime mileage is consumed. A fleet operator will pay a good price for a lightly used vehicle with 450k useful mile left. So the original owners only pay depreciation on about 10% of the useful life over 3 years of ownership. Essentially, they pay about the same per mile depreciation that a fleet operator would realize has they bought it new. So the cost gap between private EV ownership and commercial ownership should not be as great as these analysts suppose. Interest on a per mile basis will be higher for private owner with low annual mileage, but not depreciation. Moreover, vehicles used by the general public can suffer more abuse than privately own vehicles, and there are other maintenance and service cost to renting out a vehicle that families do not incur or or do for themselves. For example, if a baby make a mess in the back seat, the parents who one the car will clean it up, while the parents that rented the car for a brief ride will leave the mess, and the fleet owner will have to pay an employee to clean it up. So in effect the family that owns their own car is paying themselves to clean up after their messy children. Granted fleet operators may establish policies to protect themselves against fully loaded diapers being left in the back seat, but such policies make use of fleet cars by families less convenient, which induces a basic motivation for families to have their own cars. So I believe their will be an equilibrium between rent versus own. Basic depreciation, fuel costs and insurance should not be too different between the two options. The ratio of private cars to commercial vehicles will shift and likely shrink, but it is simply too soon to say exactly where this equilibrium will net out.

Where I think the analysis breaks down is that the economics that advantage fleet EVs also advantage family ownership of EVs as well.

A flaw for me was how easily longer term IO (individual ownership) of A-EV was dismissed.
I intend to keep my M3 for its usable lifetime or until it becomes cheaper to replace with a newer Tesla.
(Just like I have with my Subaru, Lynx, Saturn, Corolla,..)

And what about family ownership of A-EV also disrupting more air transportation.
I haven't convinced my wife just yet, but I intend that we will enjoy multiple serious cross country road trips.
I would expect to manage 25K miles per year for 10-20 years (i.e. 500K)
I don't intend to leave any usable life in the M3. ;-)
I will put on 18K * 6 just commuting before I retire.

Predicted timeframe for disruption starting 2021 (about when level 5 becomes legal) through 2030....

WOW, that report is a tour de force in confirmation bias, or political belief.

seriously, the thinking behind that report reminds me of coastal enclave perspective, think Manhattan, Singapore even London
but
it really different to megacity mindset, think Tokyo, Seoul, Chongqing, Mexico City, DFW

people like private ownership of their seats,
women like private ownership of their seats,

did anyone notice the 800lb gorilla missing from the report? Its a massive omission. That report requires a certain omission or it is fantasy.

• Love
I got into the details of their methodology, and I think they are making a fundamental mistake in how they treat depreciation. They claim that for IO depreciation should be based on residual value, but for TaaS it should be based on total life miles. Firstly, it is problematic to use two different and unrelated methodologies to make the comparison. This is apples and oranges. Second, the method used for TaaS is unrealistic in that it assumes that all miles will be billable and obtainable in the market for riders.

Let me spell this out for TaaS, they assume 500k lifetime miles on a $30k value vehicle. They apply straighline depreciation of 6c/mile. While this may be suitable for accounting purposes, it is not realistic from a value perspective. If it were, then the same depreciation would apply to IO usage. How? Suppose a car is used for a year and driven 20k miles. It then has residual value based on 480k miles left, which at 6c/mile is $28,800. Using this residual value the IO depreciation is just $1200 or 6c/mile. If this sort of depreciation had anything to do with the actual value of the vehicle, the TaaS operator should be willing to buy this lightly used vehicle for $28,800. So what I have shown here is that these analyst are using to incompatible methodologies to compare the economics of TaaS to IO. This is bad form intellectually.

But it gets worse. Let me propose a disruptive technology that would in fact disrupt the disruption they desire to see. In fact, Musk has hinted at this disruption already. All we need is a means to allow private owners of EVs to participate in offering ride sharing services. So I buy the car for $30k. I can drive it as much as I want and I can let the car drive folks around. Let's suppose I use this car for a year, putting 20k miles on it. I get sick of it and want to sell it. But I also know that I can net 7c/mile pimping it out for the next 480k miles. Let's say it can do this at 120k miles per year over the next four years. So if I keep the car I cannot $8400/yr for the next four years. Using a 10% discount, that income stream is $29,290. Or if 96k miles per year for 5 years, the present value is $28,021. So holding onto this car is a pretty nice investment with about a 10% ROI. I'm thinking that a uses car buyer would need to offer me at least $28k for this car, which is not bad considering that I just paid $30k for it a year ago. Does this sound too good to be true? Perhaps, but once we have a mechanism for monetizing a used car, then a proper way to value it is using a discounted cash flow model on that income stream. This, of course, is exactly what homeowners do when selling a home. The value of the home as a rental property sets a minimum price they are willing to sell the home for. If you can't find a buyer, you try to rent it out.

So renting your EV out on some TaaS provides an option to the owner that sets a minimum resale value. And that option disrupts the distinction these analysts make between IO EVs and TaaS EVs. In actuality the IO owner has the advantage, because they hold three options: rent, sell, or use personally. But the commercial TaaS operator really only has the options to rent or sell. This added option of personal use has real value. It explains for example why many vacation homes are owned privately. A family may fall in love with a cabin in the mountains, but renting it out all but 2 weeks of the year is just about enough to make a small profit. If a commercial vacation rental company had bought the same cabin, they would not have offered as much as the family that bought it for two weeks of personal use. The commercial investor would have needed to pay less for it so that it would payoff as a solid investment.

This is one basic problem that commercial TaaS operators may get into. Buyers for personal use will be willing to pay more for the same car than commercial operator would. But private owners will compete with them in offering cars for rent in TaaS platforms. This supports the resale value of cars for the owners, but undermines the profit opportunity for commercial TaaS operators. Imagine a platform where cars can bid on riders. A rider calls up a car to go from A to B. Rental cars near A or wanting to get close to B bid a fare amount and pick up time for the rider. And the rider selects the car they want to use. Such a competitive market is just fine for the private owner. They have a surplus of lifetime miles, so they don't care much whether the fare covers depreciation, they just want to net a small operating profit. So they are willing to bid fairly low. Meanwhile, the commercial operator needs to get enough per mile and enough miles not just to cover operating expenses, but to cover depreciation and financing plus profit. If the commercial operator has all in cost at 16c/mile, there are three things that can go wrong: not enough riders where the car currently is, may need to travel miles to next rider or for services, or private owners may bid less than 16c/mile. Indeed, if the TaaS operator finds that the car must travel 1 unbilled mile for every 2 miles with fare, then the minimum average fare needs to be 24c/mile. Through out the day, the vehicle must optimize between staying put and waiting for a rider or traveling to other locations to pick up riders. This is a tradeoff between low utilization or unbilled miles. So 40% utilization with 100% billable miles seems pretty steep to me. And worse yet competition from privately owned vehicles can maker the whole market unprofitable.

Curiously, this is the same sort of problem that central power generators face with competing with distributed power. If homeowners and business are generating solar power and storing in batteries, they first of all have the option of self-consumption. What surplus gets pushed out into the power market does not need to cover the fixed costs of these distributed resources. This can drive the market prices to such low levels that centralized power generators fail to get enough utilization and revenue to pay back the cost of the power plant. So, yes, coal and nuclear power plants are losing profitable utilization even to utility scale renewables. So while commercial TaaS may look like a great way to cut the cost of travel, a truly competitive market place may not allow these commercial concerns be profitable. Just like vacation homes and distributed energy, the option of self-consumption may be a critical advantage over commercial operators. And this is also the dirty secret behind Uber and Lyft: these platforms are largely exploiting private ownership of autos. And that may not change as autonomy and EVs are added to the mix.

bingo

the individual ownership of the house is a great analogy.

central power generators vs distributed power generating is different issue. because of what engineers call the limit state or load case scenario, or what others call Murphy's law. Until distributed power can replace the worse case scenario for a user, its really just central power generation with distributed inputs, even if the distributed outputs make up great than 100% of the system power, it is still fundamentally a central power system. Consider a 1 in 10 year weather event, perhaps polar vortex, is going 2 weeks without electricity an acceptable outcome? is going 2 months without electricity an acceptable outcome if the other 98months are perfect?

why pay health insurance, why 1/2 of it is only spent in the last 6 months of life?

bingo

the individual ownership of the house is a great analogy.

central power generators vs distributed power generating is different issue. because of what engineers call the limit state or load case scenario, or what others call Murphy's law. Until distributed power can replace the worse case scenario for a user, its really just central power generation with distributed inputs, even if the distributed outputs make up great than 100% of the system power, it is still fundamentally a central power system. Consider a 1 in 10 year weather event, perhaps polar vortex, is going 2 weeks without electricity an acceptable outcome? is going 2 months without electricity an acceptable outcome if the other 98months are perfect?

why pay health insurance, why 1/2 of it is only spent in the last 6 months of life?
Contingency resources is another set of issues. I suspect that many families would prefer to have their own vehicles for emergency situations such as evacuation of a city during a crisis. What happens when all those fleet vehicles have left town and zombies are still shuffling about? And you may just want to have your own back generator to fire up your Tesla when the zombies have shorted out the grid. In crisis situations people often want to have their own resources at hand, and certainly in the American psyche there is a self-sufficient prepper impulse.

'pump' like crazy is standard operating procedure for all major mineral commodities
coal, iron ore, gold, copper, nickel, aluminum
and yes, non OPEC oil importer producers like USA and Australia.
multiple reasons why, but the USA shale producers are an excellent example of a mining company mentality (as opposed to an oil company mentality)

global peak demand (by physical amount) for oil has not occurred yet, patience is still needed
global peak demand (by inflation adjusted value) for oil, most very likely has occurred, but that is likely also for at least a few other minerals also.
(aluminium, lead etc)
We're nowhere near peak demand for *getting rid of* lead, however. :( Or peak demand for *getting rid of* uranium, or any of the other radioactive elements. Environmental cleanup services will still be a growth industry for decades to come. :(

Contingency resources is another set of issues. I suspect that many families would prefer to have their own vehicles for emergency situations such as evacuation of a city during a crisis.

Maybe in small towns (like mine), but in big cities, famously, the autos all get caught in traffic during evacuations. The auto only works if you evacuate *really early*. Otherwise, you're way better off (a) taking the train, (b) taking your bicycle, or (c) walking.

This is basically a bandwidth issue. Autos have terrible bandwidth. Walking has better bandwidth than anything else, but bicycles still have competitive-enough bandwidth. Trains in an evac situation have a bandwidth almost as high as walking and are much faster.

Maybe in small towns (like mine), but in big cities, famously, the autos all get caught in traffic during evacuations. The auto only works if you evacuate *really early*. Otherwise, you're way better off (a) taking the train, (b) taking your bicycle, or (c) walking.

This is basically a bandwidth issue. Autos have terrible bandwidth. Walking has better bandwidth than anything else, but bicycles still have competitive-enough bandwidth. Trains in an evac situation have a bandwidth almost as high as walking and are much faster.
Yep, I live about 10 miles from the section of I-85 in Atlanta that burnt and collapsed a month ago. The traffic is spilling out to all surrounding streets and still screwing up my commute which simply moves further away from the impacted site.

Just be sure you can stagger faster than the zombies.

Production Cuts vs Innovation – Why OPEC Has Lost The Oil Price War | OilPrice.com

This is a excellent narrative. Very worth reading.

If this disruption is driven by innovation, then the OPEC response to cut production is the wrong response. Rather the right response is to innovate and be among the most efficient producers. The problem for OPEC is that they view oil as an endowment for funding their governments and national economies. Even if they innovate, they cannot replace the lost public revenue.

If we buy into this innovation narrative, I suppose this play has a sequel. Competing with advancing oil extraction technologies is one thing, and competing with energy efficiency, renewable energy and EV technologies is a whole other kind of disruption. Even so, the oil producers that survive the longest will not be the ones with the biggest oil reserves, but the ones with the best technologies and clean balance sheets. In the broader scheme of things, it is probably good for this industry to gain a little experience responding to technological disruption before the full gale of clean tech sweeps over them.

http://ir.eia.gov/wpsr/overview.pdf

The weekly petroleum report is out. It looks fairly bullish. Total stocks (ex SPR) fell 3.6mmb. Moreover, on an annual basis, stocks fell 2.5mmb. So the market seems to be annually balanced. The glut is no worse today than it was 52 weeks ago.

But what else has changed over the last year. Net imports of crude and petro products (4-week averages) fell 18.9%, or 1114 kb/d from 5902 to 4788. So for non-US producers, this represents a 1.1 mb/d decline in import demand. Specifically, products supplied to the US domestic market (i.e., domestic demand) fell 316 kb/d, or 1.6%. So the remaining 798 kb/d decline in net import is due to increases in domestic production. Specifically, demand for gasoline fell 232 kb/d, distillates 30 kb/d and propane 35 kb/d. Jet fuel was the one shiny spot where consumption increased 107 kb/d. No doubt low air fares fueled by cheap jet fuel can boost flying. But on whole, demand in the US is weak and declining, even with incredibly low fuel prices to encourage consumption.

It appears that oil as cheap as $50/b is not low enough to sustain growth in US consumption. It stands to reason that US domestic producers would not want to pull back on production. Oil prices above $60/b would only kill off domestic demand even faster. So domestic producers need to keep driving the cost down to hold on to as much domestic market share as possible as the domestic demand slips into decline.

One other small thing, last year there were about 159k new EVs in the US. That is enough to displace about 6 kb/d in gasoline consumption. So this is still a very small chunk of the 232 kb/d decline we've seen over the last year. Those who wish to downplay the threat of EVs on oil demand can rightly point to how small this displacement is, but in so doing they are also ignoring what is driving 97% of the total decline in gasoline consumption. That is, the rise of EVs is not necessary to kill demand in the US; it is already in decline. EVs will only accelerate this decline.

So the US market seems to be balancing, but in doing so demand is failing to grow. It is plausible that the US could become a net oil exporter in about four years. This could come with a 3.6 mb/d increase in domestic production and 1.2 mb/d decline in domestic consumption. It seems likely that export markets would be more profitable for US producers than the domestic market, so it is prudent to preserve as much domestic demand as possible. For this reason, US producers may do well to keep the price of oil below $50/b.

It think we have given a lot of thought to the global demand peak, but domestic demand peaks seem important too. Domestic peaks can change the balance of trade and alter domestic producer behavior.

there are different types of demand, unit weight vs unit $
there is also primary and secondary production, obviously oil is all primary but there is a lot of recycling for lead, the majority on lead now comes from recycling, but I'm focused on raw material production. I'm also focused in inflation adjusted price, which changes everything.

We may be nowhere near peak demand for getting rid of lead, but we probably are past peak demand for inflation adjusted revenue for lead miners. Having said that, lead is mostly now a byproduct from silver/zinc mining so supply is quite robust, whatever the price is.

The amount of Pb in Chinese vehicles (be it 2 wheel or 4 wheel) must be massive, the standard Chinese E-scooter uses lead batterys. When these get substituted for Li, there will be a glut that is unparalleled in 5 thousand years of metals mining.[/QUOTE]

The amount of Pb in Chinese vehicles (be it 2 wheel or 4 wheel) must be massive, the standard Chinese E-scooter uses lead batterys. When these get substituted for Li, there will be a glut that is unparalleled in 5 thousand years of metals mining.
Places which are willing to bury the excess lead or lead-contaminated products will be in high demand.