Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting ideas but suffers from being 30 years out of date.
His concepts are timeless, and will never go out of date

"For the last decade various research firms have postured that EV batteries need to see prices decline to $100 per kilowatt hour in order to achieve parity with gas cars. In July the average weighted price of a kilowatt hour worth of battery dropped below that for the first time in two years. In spite of significant monetary inflation, prices are still dropping, and soon the price of an electric car drivetrain will be less or equal to a gasoline vehicle to produce.

The biggest single factor in this price cut has been passed on from the value of the raw materials. Lithium prices have halved since the beginning of 2023, cobalt prices have reached their lowest in history, and battery metals like nickel are down 25 percent so far this year."

EVs Might Not Cost A Butt Load Soon

As human population grows, commodity prices will continue to go down, and we will never "run out" of any natural resource.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and traxila
I don't see any running calculations of oil usage displaced based on BEV sales at all in the MM. Best I could find was on the IEA:

The global auto industry is undergoing a sea change, with implications for the energy sector, as electrification is set to avoid the need for 5 million barrels of oil a day by 2030.​

Think they are off by at least 50%.

I went with 20 million electric cars in the global fleet right now displacing 300 gallons per year of usage (conservative I believe) which works out to about 400K barrels per day of demand destruction. Does this jive with the numbers of the members here?

This is going to ramp exponentially with the new BEV sales.

OPEC is deathly afraid of the margins. 100 mbpd produced with only 98 mbpd consumed would cause a ridiculous price spiral downwards in a matter of weeks. They will cut production of course, but how will the next round go as oil consumption continues to fall? The oil companies and countries are in a tight spot, but they know how to deal with this.

Wars anyone?
I still think that 32million EVs is enough to displace 1 mbpd of gasoline. 20m would displace about 625 kbpd.

BNEF assumes 50m to displace 1 mbpd. I think this is biased, since the total fleet of autos in service consume at this rate. I believe newer vehicles get driven more than older ones. So the fleet average is conservative. Thus 20m displaces at least 400 kbpd.

The difference between these estimates is about 50%, just one year of growth. Thus, either estimate should get you within about one year of the peak!

Looking at oil data it appears we are already at a plateau as peak oil appears to have been 2018 peak ICE cars was in 2017.
I think this may depend on where you get your data. I've been looking at OPEC Monthly Report data recent, cuz it's convenient. It shows a later peak.

I'm not at all saying this is the best data. Indeed OPEC has a clear bias to want to convince the world of endless demand growth!

@petit_bateau you posted as useful chart on EV fleet percentage in another thread, please post it here.

2 additional factors which string to mind.

1. Brian (NextBigFuture) suggested the Gen3 Robotaxi may be able to use a smaller and hence cheaper diameter funnel. A Boring tunnels system could be a mixture of full size tunnels and smaller Robotaxi tunnels. Robotaxis and tunnels make a difference in dense urban environments, that is significant when considering the point below.

2. My wife's old ICE is 12 years old a young guy wants to buy it, but repairing the car to a standard suitable for sale is a marginal economic proposition. There is a 50/50 chance it ends up in the scrap yard. I have a sneaking suspicion that the carmaker who made that car didn't make it as well as they made the car of same brand I owned earlier. When all new car sales are EVs many are assuming that each old ICE will life out it's natural life, For starters, all ICE cars driving around will increasingly be seen as "old cars", but repair is going to get increasingly more difficult and more expensive. For city dwellers the alternative to driving around an old ICE is, use a Robotaxi and perhaps travel in a Boring tunnel.

@petit_bateau you posted as useful chart on EV fleet percentage in another thread, please post it here.

1. Brian (NextBigFuture) suggested the Gen3 Robotaxi may be able to use a smaller and hence cheaper diameter funnel. A Boring tunnels system could be a mixture of full size tunnels and smaller Robotaxi tunnels. Robotaxis and tunnels make a difference in dense urban environments, that is significant when considering the point below.

2. My wife's old ICE is 12 years old a young guy wants to buy it, but repairing the car to a standard suitable for sale is a marginal economic proposition. There is a 50/50 chance it ends up in the scrap yard. I have a sneaking suspicion that the carmaker who made that car didn't make it as well as they made the car of same brand I owned earlier. When all new car sales are EVs many are assuming that each old ICE will life out it's natural life, For starters, all ICE cars driving around will increasingly be seen as "old cars", but repair is going to get increasingly more difficult and more expensive. For city dwellers the alternative to driving around an old ICE is, use a Robotaxi and perhaps travel in a Boring tunnel.
Ice cars will be retired early because they will be too expensive to fuel and repair compared to EVs.

I think this is the chart you were interested in which I posted in relation to discussion on oil price / BEV / Ukraine. Some moderator removed it. The y axis could as easily read 0-50 mbpd. I had posted other comments, caveats, and explanation which were also deleted.

I will not be posting further until I have cleared up some recent moderator behaviour to my satisfaction.

1695455393979.png

I think this is the chart you were interested in which I posted in relation to discussion on oil price / BEV / Ukraine. Some moderator removed it. The y axis could as easily read 0-50 mbpd. I had posted other comments, caveats, and explanation which were also deleted.

I will not be posting further until I have cleared up some recent moderator behaviour to my satisfaction.

View attachment 976441
Is was disappointed that your post was deleted. I feel bad that i probably contributed to that.
IMO the rate of EV adoption, the impact on the oil supply /demand balance and the resulting oil prices has a lot of geopolitical implications. It is an important topic relevant to many threads, but this is perhaps the best thread to discuss it in.
I hope you keep posting because you are an important contributor here, one of the better posters especially considering of the amount of statistics and research that backs your posts.

I was surprised to find that on TMC many posters are pessimistic about the rate of EV adoption and the resulting impact on the oil price. I was even more surprised to find that the impact of the Cybertruck Semi and Supercharger expansion was being downplayed.

I expect the general public to be uninformed in these areas, but not posters on TMC. In future, I'll need to pick and choose when and where I question shallow assumptions, keeping in mind the primary topic of the thread.

IMO intelligent, informative, respectful, non-emotive and non-pollical debate should be the aim, If a minor thread wanders slightly OT in an informative way, I don't see that as a bad outcome., It takes discipline to keep shifting the debate to the right thread, I'll try to lift my game.

Last edited:

But there are intriguing notes of change. One of those can be found in a report on electric vehicles recently published by Bloomberg. That report looks at both how EVs are moving into all areas of transportation, and what trends predict for the near future. Perhaps most intriguingly, it shows how EVs are already cutting demand for gas and diesel by about 3%, but the biggest impact comes from a factor many might not expect.

But around the world, electric scooters are becoming hugely popular. Again, it’s largely Asia leading the way: Electric scooters and motorcycles are replacing the gas models that had been ubiquitous in the crowded cities of China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, and elsewhere. More than 90% of world sales of two-wheelers take place in Asia.

Altogether, electric two- and three-wheeled vehicles displaced just under 1 million barrels of oil a day in 2023, according to Bloomberg’s report. And that number is growing more rapidly than any other segment of EVs. For many, an electric scooter isn’t just an alternative to a bike or motorcycle, it can replace a far more expensive—and far more polluting—traditional car.

OPEC is going into a death spiral – because of China

According to the article, emerging consensus is that China is on track to hit 60% ev market share around 2025.
17m in 2025 is roughly double from this year. China NEVs grew much faster than that the past few years, but decelerated markedly this year. It comes down to what Xi decides. The article gives the wrong impression about subsidies. One was dropped this year, but others were extended and the NEV/CAFC dual credit quotas keep increasing.

"That 2m b/d figure happens to be more or less the amount of crude currently being displaced by EV sales worldwide"

Sounds wrong. The average EV displaces roughly 10 bbl of gasoline per year, so you need 36.5 EVs to displace 1 bpd. Their 2m bpd claim implies 73 million EVs in the fleet today. We're actually about half that.

They also seem to over-estimate the near term effect of EV sales on oil consumption. Norway hit 60% EV sales in late 2019, four years ago, and their oil consumption has barely declined. Their car fleet is burning less, but air, freight, etc. consumption has grown. And China's ICE fleet is still growing even as NEVs take an ever-bigger slice of new car sales.

This is also the first I've heard of India selling 1m EVs per year. Does that include scooters?

Some 282 million vehicles were registered in the United States in 2021.

The implications of close to 100% of the vehicle fleet worldwide being EVs by 2050 are not well understood.

If 200 Million EVs in the US each have a 50 kWh battery that is 10,000 GWh of battery storage.

When these 200 Million EVs charge has a big impact of the grid supply / demand balance.

If a significant portion of the EVs support V2G that impacts on the amount of grid storage that we need.

The additional advantages of EVs are going to become increasingly apparent:-
  • Assist with the grid supply/demand balance.
  • Assist with grid/household resilience.
  • Cheaper to run than ICE and longer lasting.
  • Many parts including the battery are recyclable.
There is no good reason why most of the vehicle fleet worldwide will not be EVs by 2050.

By 2035 at the latest we should have price parity with new ICE and sufficient production volumes to be close to 100% of sales.

Good stuff here. More recently, IEA is antipathy that over the next 7 years the EV fleet will grow 10X. This is nearly a 40% annual growth rate, UNDER CURRENT POLICIES. So I think the EAI finally has a fair appreciation for EV growth rates.

Finally, these charts!

global-electric-car-stock-2010-2022.png

electric-car-registrations-and-sales-share-in-china-united-states-and-europe-2018-2022.png

I'd also would point out that if EV sales grow 10X over 7 years from 2022 (roughly consistent with growth in the fleet), then we hit 100M EVs sold in 2029. This could be 80% to 100% of the total light auto market. Moreover, just one more year of near 40% growth would be close to 140M EVs in 2030. I think this pretty much kill off the ICE market entirely (a trivial niche at best).

Alternatively, if EVs follow more of a logistic growth curve, we could see ICE continue to hold 10% market share in 2030. This is more consistent with how I've modeled it over the years, as opposed to the exponential model implied in the above paragraph.

In any case, ICE makers go from roughly a 80M vehicle market in the early 2020s to a 0 to 20M market by the end of the decade. This is a serious crisis brewing. The recent uptick in ICE sales only lulls ICE makers into complacency and false comfort.

Good stuff here. More recently, IEA is antipathy that over the next 7 years the EV fleet will grow 10X. This is nearly a 40% annual growth rate, UNDER CURRENT POLICIES. So I think the EAI finally has a fair appreciation for EV growth rates.

Finally, these charts!

View attachment 985843

View attachment 985842

I'd also would point out that if EV sales grow 10X over 7 years from 2022 (roughly consistent with growth in the fleet), then we hit 100M EVs sold in 2029. This could be 80% to 100% of the total light auto market. Moreover, just one more year of near 40% growth would be close to 140M EVs in 2030. I think this pretty much kill off the ICE market entirely (a trivial niche at best).

Alternatively, if EVs follow more of a logistic growth curve, we could see ICE continue to hold 10% market share in 2030. This is more consistent with how I've modeled it over the years, as opposed to the exponential model implied in the above paragraph.

In any case, ICE makers go from roughly a 80M vehicle market in the early 2020s to a 0 to 20M market by the end of the decade. This is a serious crisis brewing. The recent uptick in ICE sales only lulls ICE makers into complacency and false comfort.
great stuff jhm! Nice to see you back in this thread...always love when you post.

All of the actual adoption curves by country or region follow the "S" curve postulated by Tony Seba (and others) to arrive at the estimate of 100 m vehicles by 2030. I don't think it is overoptimistic to think this trend won't continue.
ICE will be in serious trouble in just a few short years.