Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should changing from 21" to 19" wheels change the displayed range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I took delivery of the car with 21" wheels, my 90% range has been around 280 miles. within months, I changed to 19" wheels and I understand one of the benefits is increased range but from the day the wheels were swapped, there has been no change in the displayed range.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the range increase by a few percentage points? Do they have to set a setting in the car to account for the 19" wheels? I assume they did what they need to do, as the wheels were swapped at a Tesla Service Center.

Would be nice to see the additional range offered by the 19" wheels when the range is displayed...

I'm not sure. They might have moved the same TPMS sensors to the 19" wheels or installed new TPMS sensors, as this was all done at the Service Center, and they kept the 21" wheels since I asked for a wheel swap to 19" at delivery. I bought the tires on Tire Rack and they installed them in the 19" Tesla wheels.

How can I make sure the correct tire size is specified in the car settings? Can I initiate the TPMS learning procedure on my own?

When you change the TPMS wheels size, does that immediately update the displayed range (more for 19" and less for 21"?).

I feel the displayed range should take into account the wheel size and that doesn't seem to have happened as I see no change.

How can I make sure the correct tire size is specified in the car settings? Can I initiate the TPMS learning procedure on my own?

From the manual...
1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the door pillar.
2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then touch Controls > Service > Reset TPMS.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
From the manual...
1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the door pillar.
2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then touch Controls > Service > Reset TPMS.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions

Thanks... I've been telling myself, one day, I should take the time to read the manual :p

So I'm hoping after I go through the TPMS reset procedure that I will see the extra range, as I've switched to 19" wheels...

Doubt you will see a range difference displayed. I saw no range difference when I went from 21 inch wheels with summer performance tires to 19 inch wheels with LRR all season tires. I was expecting to see a lower energy usage with the 19 inch wheels, but it didn’t change. My average energy usage remained at 348 whr/mi.

Doubt you will see a range difference displayed. I saw no range difference when I went from 21 inch wheels with summer performance tires to 19 inch wheels with LRR all season tires. I was expecting to see a lower energy usage with the 19 inch wheels, but it didn’t change. My average energy usage remained at 348 whr/mi.

So where's the breakdown in physics then? :p

We know for a fact that when going from 21" to 19" wheels, the range increase according to EPA data but how come this is not reflected in the range shown? What is the range showing then, if it does not take into account a potential 4-5% increase in range with a wheel swap?

So has everyone else also not seen any listed range difference when the switched from 21" to 19" wheels?

Does the range displayed not take into account the wheel size?
no, its based on a fixed kWh/mile consumption (not affected by tire/wheel chosen) and assuming a standard battery capacity (possibly with some degradation factored in)

Gives new life to the old saying “your mileage may vary”

No EPA didn't rate every possible configuration so displayed range never changes. Watt hours changes so the navi will adjust but displayed range is only able to display the originally reported EPA rated watt hours * available kwh remaining.

Changing wheels has one non-cosmetic software charge: It alters the TPMS alert PSI.

No EPA didn't rate every possible configuration so displayed range never changes. Watt hours changes so the navi will adjust but displayed range is only able to display the originally reported EPA rated watt hours * available kwh remaining.

Changing wheels has one non-cosmetic software charge: It alters the TPMS alert PSI.

So is is it EPA range that is displayed and is that based on 19" or 21" wheels? I'm just wondering with the 19" wheels being about 4-5% more efficient if the range I see now is technically about 4% better in reality or if the range has always been based on 19" wheels.

Probably 19" originally. Tesla would have sent a test car that gets the best possible numbers. Tires matter too, 21" are wider and I get worse range on 21" but also worse again on 21" with wider than original tires. I don't obsess over range though, less range for me is because of better handling and I prefer that.

Probably 19" originally. Tesla would have sent a test car that gets the best possible numbers. Tires matter too, 21" are wider and I get worse range on 21" but also worse again on 21" with wider than original tires. I don't obsess over range though, less range for me is because of better handling and I prefer that.

Thanks. I was hoping for a 4% increase in the displayed range after the switch from 21" wheels to 19" wheels so this is what prompted my question. I guess the range displayed is not based on the wheel size though we know it makes a difference. Interesting.

I asked this question earlier and never received a conclusive answer that made sense.

Changing from 21" to 19" wheels should change the range displayed because the 19" wheels are more efficient.

I just saw this Model 3 video after a recent software update and sure enough with the Model 3, there is now an option for changing the wheel size, and it correspondingly displays greater range for the more efficient wheels

Does anyone else have 2019.32.1 and do we have the option in a Model S to change the wheel configuration with a corresponding readjustment of the range?