TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should changing from 21" to 19" wheels change the displayed range?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DCEV, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DCEV

DCEV Member

When I took delivery of the car with 21" wheels, my 90% range has been around 280 miles. within months, I changed to 19" wheels and I understand one of the benefits is increased range but from the day the wheels were swapped, there has been no change in the displayed range.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the range increase by a few percentage points? Do they have to set a setting in the car to account for the 19" wheels? I assume they did what they need to do, as the wheels were swapped at a Tesla Service Center.

Would be nice to see the additional range offered by the 19" wheels when the range is displayed...

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Were the same TPMS sensors moved to the new wheels? There is a screen where you can initiate learning the TPMS sensors. That screen includes the selection of the rim size. I do it twice a year when the snow tires are put on and removed.

3. DCEV

DCEV Member

I'm not sure. They might have moved the same TPMS sensors to the 19" wheels or installed new TPMS sensors, as this was all done at the Service Center, and they kept the 21" wheels since I asked for a wheel swap to 19" at delivery. I bought the tires on Tire Rack and they installed them in the 19" Tesla wheels.

How can I make sure the correct tire size is specified in the car settings? Can I initiate the TPMS learning procedure on my own?

When you change the TPMS wheels size, does that immediately update the displayed range (more for 19" and less for 21"?).

I feel the displayed range should take into account the wheel size and that doesn't seem to have happened as I see no change.

4. Wyomingtim

Wyomingtim Member

From the manual...
    1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the door pillar.
    2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then touch Controls > Service > Reset TPMS.
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions

• Helpful x 1
  5. DCEV

DCEV Member

Thanks... I've been telling myself, one day, I should take the time to read the manual :p

So I'm hoping after I go through the TPMS reset procedure that I will see the extra range, as I've switched to 19" wheels...

6. swegman

swegman Active Member

Doubt you will see a range difference displayed. I saw no range difference when I went from 21 inch wheels with summer performance tires to 19 inch wheels with LRR all season tires. I was expecting to see a lower energy usage with the 19 inch wheels, but it didn’t change. My average energy usage remained at 348 whr/mi.

7. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

If range is calculated based on car configuration, perhaps having Tesla change the wheel size of the avatar also changes estimated range. I have both size wheels but I had them leave the avatar with 21" because they look nicer.

8. Simon21

Simon21 Member

Sounds like you're not getting any extra range. Doesn't it adjust automatically based on current driving habits and calculations?

9. DCEV

DCEV Member

So where's the breakdown in physics then? :p

We know for a fact that when going from 21" to 19" wheels, the range increase according to EPA data but how come this is not reflected in the range shown? What is the range showing then, if it does not take into account a potential 4-5% increase in range with a wheel swap?

10. DCEV

DCEV Member

Yes but the wheel swap should still make a 4-5% difference for that same driving style.

11. DCEV

DCEV Member

So has everyone else also not seen any listed range difference when the switched from 21" to 19" wheels?

Does the range displayed not take into account the wheel size?

12. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

no, its based on a fixed kWh/mile consumption (not affected by tire/wheel chosen) and assuming a standard battery capacity (possibly with some degradation factored in)

Gives new life to the old saying “your mileage may vary”

13. DCEV

DCEV Member

Is that based on your personal kWh/mile consumption?

Should that not change though when wheel size changes?

14. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

Changing the wheel your vehicle is equipped with is purely cosmetic. No changes are made to your vehicles range computing algorithms based on the wheel indicated.

15. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

No EPA didn't rate every possible configuration so displayed range never changes. Watt hours changes so the navi will adjust but displayed range is only able to display the originally reported EPA rated watt hours * available kwh remaining.

Changing wheels has one non-cosmetic software charge: It alters the TPMS alert PSI.

16. DCEV

DCEV Member

So is is it EPA range that is displayed and is that based on 19" or 21" wheels? I'm just wondering with the 19" wheels being about 4-5% more efficient if the range I see now is technically about 4% better in reality or if the range has always been based on 19" wheels.

17. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Probably 19" originally. Tesla would have sent a test car that gets the best possible numbers. Tires matter too, 21" are wider and I get worse range on 21" but also worse again on 21" with wider than original tires. I don't obsess over range though, less range for me is because of better handling and I prefer that.

18. DCEV

DCEV Member

Thanks. I was hoping for a 4% increase in the displayed range after the switch from 21" wheels to 19" wheels so this is what prompted my question. I guess the range displayed is not based on the wheel size though we know it makes a difference. Interesting.

19. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Right. Unfortunately the only thing that changes the displayed range is the "ideal/rated" toggle in settings. They still don't have a "calculated" setting that uses actual driver metrics.