Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should changing from 21" to 19" wheels change the displayed range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I get an S with 19's and swap to 21's how do you get the avatar to reflect the wheels? is that something that Tesla has to do from their side? or can it be done from within the car.

If you have this done at a SC, they will normally make the change for you.

Seems like with the latest Model 3 software update, you can specify the wheels yourself and it adjusts the range calculations accordingly in addition to the avatar image.

Would love to be able to select the wheel size in my Model S like how it is now possible to do so with the Model 3.

If you have this done at a SC, they will normally make the change for you.

Seems like with the latest Model 3 software update, you can specify the wheels yourself and it adjusts the range calculations accordingly in addition to the avatar image.

Would love to be able to select the wheel size in my Model S like how it is now possible to do so with the Model 3.

Have what done? buy wheels from Tesla and have them installed at the SC? that will never happen.....I was more saying if I bought my own OEM 21's and installed them, would they update the image to reflect the wheels.

Have what done? buy wheels from Tesla and have them installed at the SC? that will never happen.....I was more saying if I bought my own OEM 21's and installed them, would they update the image to reflect the wheels.

You can ask them next time you are at the service center.

When I got my wheels, I bought them from the SC so they swapped the wheels and made the correct changes in the software. I had a bad experience once with a previous car and wheels and tires are something that I always let the dealer (in this case Tesla) take care of.

The video posted earlier now shows that Model 3 owners can make the wheel change in the software on their own and it affects the displayed range as well. Hopefully the same feature will be available for Model S and X so we can also set the correct wheel size and get the correct range based on the wheel size.

I've put plenty of miles on both my 19" and 21" wheels. When switching tire size, rated range is not changed. Also, at least for me, the larger 21" wheels had exactly the same wh / mile efficiency the 19" wheels did. That said, my 21" setup is square so don't have the wider rear staggered setup.

I've put plenty of miles on both my 19" and 21" wheels. When switching tire size, rated range is not changed. Also, at least for me, the larger 21" wheels had exactly the same wh / mile efficiency the 19" wheels did. That said, my 21" setup is square so don't have the wider rear staggered setup.

Based on the recent software update for the Model 3, Tesla agrees with the basic premise that all else being equal, the smaller wheels result in greater range. This is one of the many reasons the first change I made to my car was replacing the 21" wheels with 19" wheels. In the Model 3, as you assign different wheel sizes, it accordingly adjusts the projected range. This is precisely what the OP was looking for on the initial post of this thread.

Here's the video from the previous page showing the new wheel size setting in the Model 3. Would love to see this same setting for the Model S.

Anyone received 2019.32.1?

I agree but on the S, the 19" and 21" have the same tire diameter and width(none staggered setup). In fact, the shorter sidewall of the 21" wheel should result in lower rolling resistance than the taller sidewall of the 19" wheel.

Anyone received 2019.32.1?
I just got it, nice to have the image user-updatable, haven’t had the chance to drive and see the updated numbers.

Edit: Niiiice it updates in the app too. Slick. A little feature that’s nice to have.

Attachments

• 3D1123F8-BA30-46BD-A996-C4305C26635B.jpeg
    3D1123F8-BA30-46BD-A996-C4305C26635B.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I just got it, nice to have the image user-updatable, haven’t had the chance to drive and see the updated numbers.

Edit: Niiiice it updates in the app too. Slick. A little feature that’s nice to have.

That's great to her the wheel interface is also available for the Model S. I never saw a difference in range after I switched from 21" to 19" wheels so it would be interesting to see what happens when I confirm and make the wheel size change.

I'm still on an older software version so I hope I get the 2019.32.1 update soon.

If they added a watt-hours averaged range it would change. The displayed range is EPA and the EPA didn't test every configuration of vehicle and wheel so they don't have an EPA number to toggle so we just get a rough EPA estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I just download 2019.32.1 on my performance raven model s. I have 19" wheels, and when I changed the setting to 21" wheels, it did not change the range remaining in the ic, even though it said it would. Maybe it only takes into account the aero wheels.

Last edited: