Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be able to change amps manually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I had the model 3 long range in November I've noticed that the amps only Ever shows as 16a I can adjust this down but can't go higher (this is when I'm just sitting in the car playing with settings, not connected to any charger )

we have a 32a 3 phase 22kw charger at work, when I plug in to this I still only get 16a and 11kw charge rate..

Is there a problem with the charger in the car?

Does anyone else in a 2021 refresh see this behaviour also?

I don't have access to another charger above 16a so can't test. And so relying on others experiences at the moment.

I've attached some pictures

Attachments

• 999B5137-DC76-41A0-92DF-7020246064EB.jpeg
    999B5137-DC76-41A0-92DF-7020246064EB.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 27E376CC-3DAB-45B5-9458-DEB65691410B.jpeg
    27E376CC-3DAB-45B5-9458-DEB65691410B.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 82
ahaaha OK so that sides all good then.

Should i be able to manually change the rate above 16a when just playing with the settings? i can change it down but not any higher.

in what situations / charging stations should i expect to see 32a or higher?

sorry for the ignorance on this.

On 3 phase you won't be able to go above 16A with the Model 3.

Single phase will allow you to select up to 1 x 32A (~7.6kW) if the charge point offers that.

You can always go less. iirc 6A on single phase, not sure on 3 phase.

The charge point tells the car what it can offer and the car will select the lower of that or what the car can handle.

The charge cable may also limit things (some are single phase only) but I have not seen any evidence of any cars being delivered without a 3 phase capable charge cable.

Thanks Vanilla.. thats great information.

one final thing to clear up, i didnt put it across very well above..

if im just sitting in the car, not connected to any charging equipment, should i be able to change the amps on the charging screen higher than 16, either to 32 or 48? i've read that the car has 3 x 16a chargers built in? if this is correct in theory shouldnt i be able to set the rate to its maximum?? Would only being able to set it to 16a mean that the other 2 chargers are faulty? Or have i been mis-informed?

thanks again.

From memory I don't think I've ever been able to change the amps higher than 16A in the car, but that's never stopped it pulling 32A when it actually charges.

There's nothing wrong with your car. It is pulling 3 x 16A, which is the maximum it can do. It can't pull 3 x 32A, which is what the charging equipment is capable of providing (for 22kW).

The fact it says 8kW instead of 11kW is, I presume, due to the battery being cold, or the charge having only just started? Either way, it's more than the maximum you can get on single phase, so I would assume it's fine.

If you stick your car on a public rapid AC charger you'll get exactly the same results.

If the car is not connected, the charger(s) have no idea what the supply (that isn't connected) can deliver. Each of the three chargers in the Model 3 is rated at 16 A, so when the car has no connection to the mains the charger settings default to the maximum phase current of 16 A.

If the car is connected to a single phase 32 A charge point, then if the charge point signals to the chargers that there is up to 32 A available, and only phase L1 goes live (phases L2 and L3 not being connected in this case) the chargers reconfigure themselves so that two of them connect to phase L1 (by default each charger is connected to L1, L2 and L3). With two 16 A chargers connected to L1 (the single phase line connection) they can run in parallel to allow charging at up to 32 A maximum (2 x 16 A).

Thanks Vanilla.. thats great information.

one final thing to clear up, i didnt put it across very well above..

if im just sitting in the car, not connected to any charging equipment, should i be able to change the amps on the charging screen higher than 16, either to 32 or 48? i've read that the car has 3 x 16a chargers built in? if this is correct in theory shouldnt i be able to set the rate to its maximum?? Would only being able to set it to 16a mean that the other 2 chargers are faulty? Or have i been mis-informed?

You can only increase the setting above 16A when you are plugged into a charger. If not plugged in 16A is the highest, so yoou can only adjust it lower.
thanks again.